Updating kitchen on a budget
ashbak83
Need advice on kitchen update, countertop will be grey with tan backsplash, should I paint cabinets? What color above cabinets? Any additional suggestions?
Barbara Ventura
I would paint cabinets gray and change out the hardware to stainless steel.
March 27, 2014 at 10:45AM     
flair lighting
take out the area above the cabinets all together it will open up the space and take away some of the stuffy-ness. also get rid of the dueling light fixtures. If you need a fan go to a smaller one, and go to a flush mount that is very minimal on the other. or cap one and go to a 3 light bar.
March 27, 2014 at 10:48AM     
ashbak83
Thanks Barbara! Any suggestions on coordinating colors? Above cabinet and floors? And I really want to do something with that awful light fixture but I'm doing everything on my own and I'm certainly no electrician!!!
March 27, 2014 at 10:53AM   
flair lighting
also you can get peel and stick back splashes, cover up the existing one to add some contrast. May i ask ,what is that large brown box on the left of the photo?
March 27, 2014 at 10:58AM     
flair lighting
it would be worth the spurge, and i think it would make the most impact. its very simple to do, if you have a handy friend.
March 27, 2014 at 10:59AM     
kimj63
Rustoleum sales countertop paint that I have used and works great. Paint the countertops and backsplash black and cabinets white with new hardware or just buy silver spraypaint and spray the hardware silver if you're on a budget. The trim around the top could be painted white or have a carpenter put a crown molding wrap up there to extend the cabinets up to the ceiling. Flooring....I suggest save up for something you love and in the meantime put a large black and white pretty outdoor rug down that can take spills. Lighting is key too, can lights add so much to any room.
March 27, 2014 at 11:09AM   
ashbak83
Cabinet above bar area
March 27, 2014 at 11:10AM   
kimj63
Also, take down the gingerbread trim above the window and put a can light in over the sink for recessed lighting. A simple and handy thing to do for a small kitchen is have your carpenter turn one of the underneath cabinets into a pull out trash can. It is convenient and eliminated the "ugly" trash can.
March 27, 2014 at 11:13AM     
joancuneo
The first picture you posted of the entire kitchen, is that with the new countertops? My eyes are bad! Are you keeping the floor & lights?
March 27, 2014 at 11:18AM   
ashbak83
The first picture is with old green countertop
March 27, 2014 at 11:20AM   
ashbak83
View from kitchen to living room
March 27, 2014 at 11:21AM   
ashbak83
Living room
March 27, 2014 at 11:21AM   
flair lighting
remove those ^^
March 27, 2014 at 11:37AM     
flair lighting
consider painting the paneling in the other space too.
March 27, 2014 at 11:38AM   
ashbak83
Another concern with the bar area, I will be painting the living room eventually how do I coordinate area
March 27, 2014 at 11:41AM   
Stone Harbor Hardware
I agree with flair lighting, removing those three cabinets over the peninsula will open things up (if you can afford to lose the storage space). Painting the walls and cabinets and updating the hardware will go a long way toward updating the room. Satin nickel hardware would look nice with gray countertops.
March 27, 2014 at 11:45AM     
ashbak83
From different angle
March 27, 2014 at 11:58AM   
ashbak83
Or making transition from one color to another.
March 27, 2014 at 12:07PM   
klsbernard
Being on a budget I would use subway tile for the backsplash. I would also paint both rooms the same color. Two colors makes it look smaller. If you are painting the ceiling and purchase ceiling paint, ask the paint department to add more pigment to make the paint bright white, otherwise it has a grey look to it, and it appears you need more light in the kitchen. If you can't do recessed lighting, I would get two large flush mount light fixtures with many bulbs to add more lighting. Taking down the paneling soffit is a must. You'll probably have to fill holes and sand, but what a difference that will make. The cabinets would look beautiful in white with the grey counters. White dove by bm of-17 or or decorators white and linen white SW are main colors that many use to paint kitchen cabinets. A great grey color for the walls could be revere pewter hc-172, it a rich grey tan combination. Two tans that are nice are accessible beige sw7036 or grant beige BM. Soft greys and tans look rich together. I have been reaching colors lately for my own remodel. I have many others,
but you'll want to decide what look your going for to determine your color choices. My home has little natural lighting so I look for colors to offset that problem.
March 27, 2014 at 12:19PM     
klsbernard
I would also spay paint your stools in a cool accent color.
March 27, 2014 at 12:20PM     
ashbak83
Love the revere pewter color!
March 27, 2014 at 1:01PM   
joancuneo
Revere pewter is a popular color. I love it too.
Ashbak83, the countertop & backsplash you just put in? I am making sure I am following things correctly. Someone suggested to take down the cabinets above the island, great idea. You will not believe how open it will look. Can you do that?
March 27, 2014 at 2:09PM     
ashbak83
I'm in the process of redoing countertops, so far I have the bar completed
March 27, 2014 at 2:23PM   
ashbak83
I probably could but again doing this all on my own, not sure if that's something I should attempt not knowing what I'm doing, may turn into way more than I could handle. Will consider though!
March 27, 2014 at 2:30PM   
joancuneo
Very nice countertop. I understand what you are saying about taking down the cabinets. I would not do it myself either. Did you already buy the tiles?
March 27, 2014 at 4:16PM     
ashbak83
For backsplash no.
March 27, 2014 at 8:10PM   
playaazul
Cupboards
Our son, my sister and two of my friends painted theirs white or light grey. All look very good. You can spray paint handles or get new handles. Important to remove all hinges & handles. Must use good primer & melamine & special roller with no pile

Window
Remove gingerbread cut out and put modern roman blind

Floor
Stick & peel tiles easy to do yourself

Light fixtures
U can change yourself - buy fixture before painting so you know area to paint on ceiling

Above cupboards - Paint or put wallpaper.
Backspash - peel and stick tile can look good
March 27, 2014 at 8:27PM     
joancuneo
Hello, Are you stuck on getting a tan backsplash that you had mentioned earlier?
March 28, 2014 at 3:40PM   
ashbak83
Not necessarily, after pricing around it was the cheapest that I found.
March 28, 2014 at 7:17PM   
update for small 10x10 kitchen - budget $10k
Hi - looking for ideas to update 1928 kitchen. Do...
How to update Kitchen on Tight Budget
Wife and I are looking for ways to update this kitchen....
Updated Kitchen on a budget (ordered granite, not in yet)
This was done on a budget, the hardwood floor was $4,000...
Need help for kitchen update on a budget
We have a contemporary floor plan with a kitchen that...
kitchen update--low budget
We are going to hire someone to paint these vintage...
Need help designing small home office/guest room combo on small budget
Room is rectangular, 9x11,ft. There are two windows...
Need help replacing dying front lawn with drought tolerant beauties
We are in Denver, Colorado. Our front yard faces west...
Top Dentist Lakeway
http://www.lakewaysmiles.com/ One of the best-rated...
Ideas For Cover Up 2 rooms which are not co linear
Have 2 rooms which are not aligned in a straight line...
Help needed!
Any ideas on how to makeover this 1960's tiled fireplace...