What color should we paint our house?
leemer918
March 27, 2014 in Design Dilemma
The area which is currently mint green are painted wooden shingles. We'd like to modernize the look with paint but don't know what color makes the most sense. We'd also like to paint the foundation and garage door a darker color to blend better with the stone wall. We were thinking navy blue shingles, grey foundation and garage door and possibly a bright yellow door. What do you think? What shades should we pick? Thanks so much for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jessica
Pick something that goes well with that stone retaining wall. Those shingles look like the asbestos ones on the house I grew up in, that's fine as long as the paint seals them up, but if you have to scrape any patches while painting I'd be sure to find out what they are made of first so you have the right protective gear if necessary. I like the idea of a grey foundation & garage door. Navy seems a bit dark to me unless you want to absorb heat from the sun? Of course if you asked my grandmother - she'd always tell you that you should never paint a house blue or green because, "God already put enough of those colors in nature." Any other color would do! LOL!
0 Likes   Thanked by leemer918    March 27, 2014 at 12:59PM
kaye1951
I love your paint color ideas. You might add a flower box under the window on the right and fill it with yellow flowers to repeat your yellow front door. Good luck with your cute house!
0 Likes   March 27, 2014 at 1:43PM
PRO
ProSource Memphis
The current paint has a great tropical feel---if that's your location. Navy is suitable to a lower light cool climate, not a hot sunshiney one. What's your location?
0 Likes   March 27, 2014 at 1:46PM
sonomamama
I just looked at a bunch of pictures and have come to the idea of painting the wooden shingles a nice deep sage color and the lower level to blend with the stone. Then you are set to add some landscaping plants.
0 Likes   July 19, 2014 at 5:56AM