Two Inch or Two and a half in blinds?
Kim Meehardt
I have some fairly large windows I am putting blinds on throughout my house. They range from spare bedrooms to formal living spaces. I have two quotes- one for 2 inch blinds and the other for 2.5 inch blinds. The difference between the two quotes isn't very substantial, so I am not really swayed in either direction on price alone. The idea original was that possibly the 2.5 inch blinds would make the windows feel more formal -especially the large ones (on average each window is about 70 inches tall- in addition to that there are also transoms (which I am not going to cover). Any thoughts would be appreciated for those that may have had 2.5 inch blinds, I have only have standard blinds my whole life and just don't have an opinion on them. Thanks!
nestaway
I love my 2 1/2 inch blinds. There are less slats so you can see outside through the wider spaces. I don't know about them looking formal. I don't have large windows, these are all in the bedrooms and office. The look like upscale casual to me. I have dark expresso, and a creamy white. I love love love the look, they also block out most of the light when closed tightly. Hope this helps!
March 27, 2014 at 4:01PM        Thanked by Kim Meehardt
Kim Meehardt
Thank you nest away!! I like your description of upscale casual... thats what I would say I am going for instead of "formal".
March 27, 2014 at 4:04PM   
nestaway
You're welcome, what I meant to say about seeing outside is when the blinds are opened there is less of an obstructed view because there are fewer slats with the 2 1/2" than any of the smaller widths.
March 27, 2014 at 4:23PM        Thanked by Kim Meehardt
Jolene
Depends on your window sill depth. Will they stick out more than you would like etc. I have replacement windows and my 2 inch do stick out a tad when opened. Doesn't bother me but 2 1/2 make have.
March 27, 2014 at 4:32PM      Thanked by Kim Meehardt
Kim Meehardt
Jolene & nest away, what are your sill depths? I think mine are about 4.25 inches from the window, not including the window stool. I never really even thought about them protruding out past the window, but now that you bring it up, I think that would bother me too., but i would think 4.25 inch depth would be adequate, right?
March 27, 2014 at 6:50PM   
nestaway
Mine are 6 inches deep, we purchased an older house from the 70's we are in the process of updating and the blinds were the 1st thing we did.
March 27, 2014 at 7:14PM      Thanked by Kim Meehardt
nestaway
The 6" includes the window sill stool, the window depth of the wall/frame is almost 5"
March 27, 2014 at 7:16PM      Thanked by Kim Meehardt
nestaway
They do not protrude at all, if you could get a sample of the slat, you should be able to place them in the window to see where they end up, mine are mounted inside about 1/4" from the window itself.
March 27, 2014 at 7:19PM      Thanked by Kim Meehardt
Jolene
Yes that should work, my are not very deep and once we had new windows and the moulding put in it does leave our wood blind sticking out a small amount. Ours were bought before new windows. I don't think we have but 2.5 or 3 inches.
March 27, 2014 at 7:35PM      Thanked by Kim Meehardt
Kim Meehardt
I ordered the 2.5. Fingers crossed!
April 6, 2014 at 7:26AM   
Need major advice for a church sanctuary
This is a picture of the left side wall of our sanctuary...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Looking for advice on making this entry more welcoming
We need some help making our new house a home! Does...
Help pull our nursery together!!
So we finally have all the furniture in our nursery...
Tabla Rasa - our new living room
after 3 years of living on a boat we have bought a...