Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bborders0007

Please HELP Me

Britt
9 years ago
I am a college student that was given this couch by a family member and it is the only one I have to use. I was wanting to see if anyone had any ideas on how to incorporate it into a nice living room space. Any ideas on side tables, wall decor, color schemes, etc. It is a goldish green couch. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (17)

• condomary
    9 years ago
    More photos of the entire room from different angles would be helpful.
  • PRO
    HomeMakeovers, LLC
    9 years ago
    It's not a loss. Look up midcentury modern to get ideas. W are in the middle of a revival of the style. Easy to find side tables, lamps and decor at HomeGoods, Marshalls and such. Introduce fun pillows with light aqua, dark aqua and orange, and suddently your yellow green couch will look mod and not odd.
  • PRO
    Heather Johansen Design
    9 years ago
    It's a nice couch - the design is really good in my opinion. I know the color might not be the most desirable but just go with it. Here are some ideas from my search of 'vintage couch' on houzz:

http://houzz.com/photos/1500684
    http://houzz.com/photos/396567

I don't know what your style is but if it were my couch I would just try to balance bright clean modern elements (wall color (white or light colors), wall art (clean lines, bright colors), rugs, etc) with vintage (the couch, lighting, extra decor). Hope that helps!
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Brown, green, black pillows & throw. Wood end tables or metal, or glass. If you want blue pillows. You could mirror a table.
  • Carrie Stout
    9 years ago
    Without knowing your design style, its hard to say. If it were me I would go for a bohemian look taking cues from anthropologie or Emily Henderson's designs. Dark teals would be a good compliment to the greenish gold fabric. Maybe include some graphic prints with black and white. Attached are some examples. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    9 years ago
    bborders, what are you studying? Might help with subject matter for some wall art to work around. Your acquisition has a cool factor if you go in the right direction with it...let me see what I can find for a student budget. :)
  • Luke Buckle
    9 years ago
    The colour of the couch is so dominant that I would consider draping it with a carefully chosen blanket
    Grey Symbols Cotton Blanket · More Info
    The cushions should then be chosen to suit.
  • playaazul
    9 years ago
    It is all about the accessories
    Throw - cushions
    Some prints/art work that pick up color of couch ( i have used old calendar and put picture in frame)
    Have you tried a bronzy color with this or olive green?
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    Yep, treat it like the one color piece in the room but look for a fabric you love with a little chartreuse in it to match. Everything else in the space - spray paint it charcoal or white and look for black and white combos in rugs (home goods had some great flat weave wool recently in a graphic diamond print).
  • mariaed
    9 years ago
    slip cover the couch if you can afford to. Sometimes they sell generic slip covers. Then you can go any colour you like in the room. Otherwise I think the suggestions above on chartreuse are the way to go.
  • dclostboy
    9 years ago
    I agree to look at anthropologie or urban outfitters...their vibe would fit right in.
  • Mark
    9 years ago
    I was thinking the same thing as Manon Floreat, with using the rasberry or even a fuchsia and grey with your color of sofa.
  • Britt
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you everyone for you input and advice, it is greatly greatly appreciated! I am about to finish my undergraduate degree in Psychology and will be attending Optometry school in the fall. My significant other has already began Optometry school, graduating with her degree in Biology. This will be our first apartment together so we are working hard to design it well, on a college budget and styling with family furniture. I have uploaded a few pictures of the furniture and apartment layout we have to work with and was wondering if anyone had advice on how to incorporate some of these items together especially the goldish-green couch. We are working on a college student budget and are looking for a more contemporary modern living room style. Any advice on layout, color scheme, side tables, décor etc. will be greatly appreciated.
    Picture 1: Layout of Apartment
    Picture 2: chair, appears a bit more yellow/gold than really is. More of a cream in color
    Picture 3: dresser, being used as our tv stand, there is also a matching side table to this dresser
    Picture 4: chair, gold and tan striped
  • Britt
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also here are a few better pictures of the couch
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    9 years ago
    Optometry posters are big, not that I follow trends, but if you have any graphic design skills you can create your own poster, with your own message encrypted -- but no for over the couch, since you need something horizontal there.
    https://www.etsy.com/search?q=optometry&order=most_relevant&ship_to=US
  • roosterdavis
    9 years ago
    Hang on to that couch. When you can afford it, reupholster it and in that process, loose some of the button imprints. I think you'll find yourself with a couch you really dig. I couldn't pull it off in my place, but I really like the color of the sofa. From the very limited pictures, it appears to be well made, thus my advice about hanging on to it.