Long living room - not sure what do with it?
jillianelizabeth
March 27, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Hello! We've just bought a house! Please excuse the mess in the photos! I'm just not sure what to do with the space where the striped chair and book shelf are. Right now it's just awkward, empty and needs to be put to better use. I'd rather not put a table there because we have a huge one right on the other side of the fireplace. I thought about a buffet but I'm not sure what I'd do with it other than put it along that back wall which would mean all the furniture in the entire space would just be lined up along the walls which I know is a no no. Behind the blinds is a large three panel window and the middle panel slides open so nothing can be directly in front of it. I also thought about just a separate little sitting area devoted to the fireplace but I would really prefer to keep the entire space more connected than that - otherwise I worry we'll just never utilize the space. I'd LOVE some fresh perspective on this and am open to changing anything about the room! Just to clarify the view of the tv is when sitting on the sectional. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brandi Nash Hicks
Pull ths sofa out from the wall where you can walk behind it ,put the chair in the corner where the bookcase is but also pull it from the wall some ,
March 28, 2014 at 1:24AM   
Brandi Nash Hicks
You may have to take the chair out and put the t.v. On the wall next to where the chair is now ,but that is a large sofa for the room
March 28, 2014 at 1:26AM   
lucidos
Since you have all the things you need sorted.

You have a small child. Make a play corner. This way the littleone can be right there and you can cast a watchful eye. A toy corner could be limited to reading and puzzles and other (mostly quiet) quiet activity. It's also great for training to clean up. Toys have devious ways of escaping. A living room toy box that can double as a bench works great as does a cubby shelf that you can turn to the wall in the space and finish the back that presents to the living room.

Ikea also make a shelf unit you can lay on it's side. They have colorful baskets that fit in and you can make a foam seat.

Another option would be to put a desk there facing toward the room.
March 28, 2014 at 1:34AM     
mariaed
I think the kids area is a great idea. Could even have a little table and chairs for them to colour at etc. If you want it more adult zone, I'm not sure...maybe two comfy chairs...I will leave that to the other houzzers.
March 28, 2014 at 2:10AM   
jillianelizabeth
Thank you for the ideas everyone!
March 30, 2014 at 6:17PM