Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
14thstreet

Dining room - make it more inviting somehow?

14thstreet
10 years ago
We've got an open main floor layout, my dining room is off the end of the kitchen area with windows facing south. The west wall (not pictured) is basically taken up by glass sliding doors that walk out to the screened-in porch. I do plan to add a nice chunky crown molding in the future for the whole main level (maybe next year?) but in the meantime, what advice/ideas do you have to cozy up this space and make it more inviting? I also added a photo of the kitchen for reference...sorry I forgot to close my mudroom door in the background.

Would it look too cluttered to add more to the wall with the large artwork? Something arranged around/next to the art work? I don't know that I have room for full-blown built-ins in on the window wall- have you seen something narrow-depth or for the corners that might work?

Comments (14)

• Clay Aragon
    10 years ago
    Your dining room looks great BTW. If you are going to add additional art, I would recommend finding two pieces of art in the same size, frame and matting colour as what you already have and line them as a triptych (three panelled art). Otherwise, the existing one is fine as is. You can do a collage of various art pieces but really tricky to execute.
    I think a more substantial chandelier may help give you the wow factor. A drum chandelier perhaps? It may sound counterintuitive but a larger chandelier will Make your dining room look grander. See example below. Ignore the fact that there's two chandelier.
    http://houzz.com/photos/6434760
    14thstreet thanked Clay Aragon
  • Kim Walton
    10 years ago
    what a nice, bright room! because of the collection of smaller photos/art above the cabinets, I would consider a pair of large artwork pieces where you have the one and add a rug. With your southern and western exposures, add a taller plant. Just the rug and plant should give you the "inviting" feel you want.
    14thstreet thanked Kim Walton
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I agree with Kim.
    14thstreet thanked User
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    This is the problem I see with using gray painted walls. Everything seems cold. A nice, bright rug wouldgo a long way toward warming this room up. And maybe changing out the shimmery curtains for something with a rougher texture in the same color.
    14thstreet thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    Donna Kruse Elements of Design
    10 years ago
    The picture is the wrong size and shape. It should be horizontal and larger. Or you could form a grouping of related images. Something meaningful to you. Maybe photos from a trip nicely framed. Images of single flowers etc. You also need a rug. It could have lots of texture or color. That will soften the room and help the acoustics also.
    14thstreet thanked Donna Kruse Elements of Design
  • blrussell
    10 years ago
    I would get different drape (patterned or stripe) ..buy a heavier curtain rod and extend the panels over the wall. Don't think the plates are doing anything...I would probably get a more substantial light also.
    14thstreet thanked blrussell
  • mariaed
    10 years ago
    I love the wood table. The picture is interesting too.
    14thstreet thanked mariaed
  • 14thstreet
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

Area rug - I'd love one, but I'm on the fence with the functionality for two reasons:
    1. The bench seat is heavy to pull out from the table, and would not be any easier on a rug surface (especially for my kids, ages 2 and 6)
    2. Keeping it clean! Read above- I have two kids, ages 2 and 6 and this is our every day dining area, not a formal room for special occasions.
    Any feedback from folks who have considered the same or similar challenge with a dining room area rug?
  • 14thstreet
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Re: The "cold" gray painted wall - I have light gray in one of our bedrooms, and it is so beautiful and calming. I love that room. I originally painted that one wall in the dining room a dark charcoal to bring in depth and contrast from all the wood tones and taupe, but am reconsidering the paint color. I had thought about a non-neutral but am worried about it being too much in the open living/dining/kitchen space. In fact I'm thinking about repainting the whole great room a lighter taupe color for more contrast from the floors. Thoughts or recommendations? My fireplace is a gray and amber toned stacked stone.
  • 14thstreet
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Art work - thank you for the suggestions. I think I will look for pieces to add to the existing framed piece, which I love, to make it more the right shape for that space.

Lighting - I'm afraid my hubby will not agree with a light fixture change, but I really like that perspective. I had originally picked a drum shade for that spot but he didn't like it so I chose something more traditional (his style). Maybe if I add some texture to the table's centerpiece, and make the centerpiece a larger scale, that would help?
  • 14thstreet
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Curtains - Those are lined dupioni silk panels, and I have them on the other windows in the great room also so at this time I am not going to replace them...sort of an investment if you know what I mean. Good suggestions though, thank you!
  • 14thstreet
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Upholstered head chairs - what a good idea...will have to see what my hubby thinks. :)

And thanks everyone for the compliments as well, we purchased the dining set with our wedding gift funds 10 years ago so it has some significance as well. We like the room, but of course feel there is room for improvement so all your comments are helpful, keep them coming!

Any ideas on built-ins that would be appropriate either narrow-depth or corner style?
  • Chanel
    10 years ago
    Great dining room. Go for a nice horizontal art work something on the brighter side or you could even go for a nice mirror to make the space look bigger.
    Villages of Herndon Mills Model Home · More Info

Signature Properties Model Home · More Info

Add a nice rug to give it a cozy feeling...if it were me I would go neutral color for the rug keeping it simple.

If possible swap the 2 opposite end chairs to upholstered chairs.

I see you have a small plant at the corner maybe you could add a bigger plant removing the table.

At the end add a lovely runner and some flowers to complete your look.

good luck and would love to see the before and after :)