POLL: Gas or Electric Range?
Do you prefer a gas or electric range for your kitchen? Is one better than the other for particular circumstances?

VOTE and share your experience! (photos encouraged)
Gas
Electric
Other - Tell us below!
Jennifer Bush
Dual fuel! Gas for the stove (much better heat control) and electric/convection for the oven.
83 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 28, 2014 at 2:22PM
Hal Braswell
Gas better for cooking and since our heating is electric, gas oven can provide emergency heat if electricity goes out temporarily in wintertime.
12 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 28, 2014 at 2:59PM
bluenan
I'd love to have a gas stove, but we're all electric out here, no gas service. I don't want propane, so unfortunately I don't have the option.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 28, 2014 at 3:43PM
robekell
induction all the way
31 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    March 28, 2014 at 4:00PM
3incollege
I've used them all. Love my induction.
24 Likes    Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 7:54PM
Luciana
Long live induction!!!
26 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 5:59AM
witch06
If you want a boiled steak, electric is just perfect :(
Gas is much better for cooking but I have electric and It's been quite a disaster at the beginning.
Since I bought a ceramic glass cooktop, along with heavy stainless steel pans, cooking is again a great pleasure.
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 7:40AM
adivra
Never used induction, but have had awful experiences with electric. I think that preference comes about with experience. My mother was a phenomenal cook regardless of fuel source. My aunts cooked with a wood burning stove until they were in their eighties and they were also stellar cooks.
12 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 8:28AM
Dona Dinkler
I highly recommend a dual fuel range. I am an experienced home cook and have used both gas and electric ranges. I have found that an electric oven heats up more quickly and does a better job at distributing heat evenly and consistently. A gas stovetop, on the other hand, is far better for sautéing, frying, and steaming food than an electric stovetop because of the ability to control heat. Do yourself a favor and get a dual fuel with a gas cooktop and an electric oven, and get an oven with convection if you can. Convection distributes heat via fans for a faster and more even cooking/baking experience.
28 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 12:43PM
forerose
My new dual fuel range was delivered today. I am a fairly good cook who loves to bake pizza and bread, and one of my children is a chef. After much research, we decided a dual fuel range was the way to go.
9 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 12:59PM
rbcola
I too agree with the majority (dual fuel - cook top gas for me and convection, electric oven) , although I seriously considered induction cook top). The only reason I hesitated is - the electric bill as I heard it uses a lot more electricity. What would be nice is the range/cooktop comes with one induction burner!!! What I may do is add a free standing later.....if I want to.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 3:58AM
graylady52
Moved in our house with induction and I love it. Most energy efficient easiest to clean and nice clean look. Cooks like gas even better. We are going to be building a new house and induction is on the top of my list!!!
15 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 5:03AM
Mary Porzelt of Boston Kitchen Designs
Induction, the best way to go
12 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 5:28AM
diyher
grew up on gas and only had electric for 9 years in our previous house. Have had gas the last 20 years and now looking for a 30" gas slide in and trying to find the best model options including a storage drawer.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 6:29AM
Genevieve
Both for me ,if a blackout occurs gas is there and it was less expensive too ! until now ,but no more that's going up too :(
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 6:30AM
smarterthandog
Another bonus for gas conversion is it takes a load off of the electric service and frees up a breaker. I only have 100 amp service, so this is a plus.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:18AM
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Induction is a great alternative to gas (agree with Mary Porzelt, the best!) I particularly recommend induction when considering the needs of aging in home. Gas can become a fire risk. Electric coils a burn risk, staying hot long after they look it. Induction cooking does not heat the cooking service--it heats the pans.

As a foodie, induction offers a better control and the instant on/off that real cooks love.
14 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:24AM
Sigrid
I like electric better. My high-end gas stove, which came with the house, doesn't seem to simmer and if the windows are open, sometimes the flame blows out. I've had lousy electric stoves, the prize-winner being a Soviet model that I didn't realize didn't heat on low until I left something on the stove, forgot, went out for the day and returned to find the stove on and the soup still cold.
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 10:22AM
makaloco
Gas for me. It's more economical, and fuel type makes no difference for the basic cooking I do. On the stove top, gas is more controllable, and since I can see the flame, I don't accidentally leave burners on as I did repeatedly (on low, where the coils didn't turn red) with electric stoves. My current range is propane, and I'm perfectly happy with it. The burners do occasionally blow out, but I've learned to pay closer attention if the wind is strong.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 10:24AM
momof5x
I can say I have tried most and in fact we have a gas cooker, small electric hob and inductions rings in a kitchette upstairs. I never knew much about how the induction hob work but after cooking on it a few times, i can say it is something like a turbo cooker ( if you have ever tried them haha).

My favourite is gas as I like to see a flame and it does something for the cooking I believe unlike electricity and even the induction. The induction given sudden bursts of heat and you can even feel the pans shake.

For best cooking, of course we have an clay oven outside.. my hubby and boys deal with that, but the food once cooked in there, is absolutely delicious.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 10:33AM
Bridget
After much research, induction is the way I am going. Much more energy efficient than electric stoves, so I will save money when I will need it most. Easier clean up, any splatters do not cook on the cooking surface as with electric and gas, does not throw off heat, no need for exhaust hood.
I worked briefly for a propane company in my area, anybody could come in and get a job as an installer. No schooling required, maybe a one day class every year.
After several million dollar house burned down, believed to be from problems with the propane gas lines, I say no thanks to propane.
9 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 10:37AM
pegblask
Yes, I love a gas stove, too. But, with the new designs in technology for electric, we should all be moving away from gas and going to electric and using solar energy. When you think about it, this really is not an option anymore.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 10:38AM
rbcola
@pegblask: I'm all for green, and have seriously considered anything/everything that I can in our home build - but green has to FIT THE BUDGET and until it is financially competititve with traditional options / and, get a good return on the investment it limits people from taking advantage. I do what I can but on big decisions - it's often cost prohibitive.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 11:01AM
kkbundick
Induction gives you total control,from melting chocolate to ultra fast boiling, and doesn't create extra heat in the kitchen. Luv my induction range.
10 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 12:02PM
Ryta Freidman
induction!
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:40PM
Bill Yockey
Gas cooktop, electric oven.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 8:28AM
mamallama
Just finishing up kitchen remodel and loving my Thermador gas cooktop and two GE electric convection wall ovens. Perfect for me. And....the copper cookware is awesome on gas!
    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 12:42PM
krf9
Electric. I'm actually terrified of having a gas range, fire-phobic or something.
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 12:55PM
I switched to induction a while back. I love it as I consider it the "electric" version of gas.
It heats up a pot of water as quickly as gas does;
no naked flame;
easier to clean; (when I last cleaned a gas range I got the firemen round - NOT deliberately)
I can even have induction hobs where I place the pot anyway and the contact with the metal heats it up;
goes flush with the counter
space underneath for draws or storage

I think that counts for at least 10 votes for induction.
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 4:20AM
beverett1
Induction! I have had gas and electric, but my induction beats them both for ease of cleaning while having superb cooking abilities. It saves energy and does not heat up the house. It turns itself off if you turn it on without placing a pot on the surface. The speed of heating is great and it can melt delicate chocolate. The control of heat is amazing.
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 5:14AM
lucbedard
Had a JennAir dual fuel Gas electric and in our new home we went to Induction. We will never go back, Induction it is !!!
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 6:28AM
gabarnes
Induction here as well!! We've had it for four years, it the absolute best. Learned to cook on gas, so I've worked with all options listed here. In my opinion induction wins hands down. Precise, clean, energy efficient
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 6:39AM
Robert
I have a dual fuel range at home.Gas is better for certain type of cooking and electric is best for others.Gas is better for cooking as it can provide for emergency heat if electricity goes out temporarily during winters.But induction is also fast becoming an alternative to gas.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 8:00AM
danieBOB
I grew up using a gas range. Then I moved into an apartment and had to learn how to cook on an electric. Then I bought a house with electric... I prefer gas since it's easier to control temperature and you can make it work during a power outage, but have learned how to cook well on an electric range. When we do finally get to remodel the kitchen, I'll see how much converting my kitchen to gas will cost.
    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 8:06AM
dlm2000
My dream - Electric ovens, induction range top and one glorious high BTU gas burner for stir fry. Wish there was an all in one range top with both induction and gas.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 12:27PM
jodyanns
I have a duel fuel range and oven by Electrolux. It is wonderful. I like a gas stovetop to regulate the heat. The electric oven bakes evenly. This appliance does many things including invection cooking, favorite temps, etc. It is touch screen in front. Good investment.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 2:07PM
quinciettajane
I grew up with gas, then always had electric. At Christmas baking time my electric bill would rise!! But I moved to a house with gas stove/oven and I will never go back. I can cook even if the electricity goes out. It cooks evenly. My Christmas baking did not change my gas bill. Mine is not fancy but it works so well I would not get rid of it just because a 'buff' 2001 cooktop with black burners and tray and black front and knobs are no longer 'in'.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 11:10PM
geoffandcherylg
I am a recent convert to cooking with induction and I find that its speed, temperature control, and easy-cleaning surface make this choice truly second to none.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 1:30AM
vernonma
Induction has the advantages of gas in that it's instantaneous but it's also easy to clean - best thing out
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 2:24AM
hattirowland
Definitely gas for the hob and electric for the oven! I don't care how advanced electric hobs have become, in my book gas will always be much more and much more quickly manouverable! As a wonderful old UK advert featuring a tortoise used to say...." Easily turn on and offable " !!!! I like electric for ovens after having had various semi-explosive experiences trying to light gas ones over the years! The only other alternative to all of this is ro have an Aga or a Rayburn, both of which are fantastic, but you do have to invest quite some time getting used to them.....there is even a " cool " oven on the bottom where farmers traditionally put orphaned lambs ro warm up and hence be bottle fed! Do you have this in America? These ranges make the best pies and cakes on the planet too!!!
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 3:20AM
JAC Frances
Being an avid cook I can honestly say that the old tale that gas is better than electric no longer applies to modern electric ovens. Here's a warning to those with lung and heart issues: do not buy gas ovens, they've been proven to be dangerous because the gas is "raw" and can cause asthmatic attacks. Something to consider whether you have issues or not--vent properly if you have a gas oven in use.

Personally, I hate the smell of gas and the potential for dangerous situations.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 3:41AM
Kaaren Baumgartner
Gas cooktop and electric oven, my preference, and a good microwave. Two things, in my new kitchen w/ gas cooktop burners...I bought GE Profile, I felt it was really all the better I needed. I was amazed to not have had to scrub the bottom of one pot since it was installed! I used to Brillo/SOS pot bottoms all the time. The other thing is the double ovens...the convection one seems to make little difference in cooking and temp time. I do have to turn cookie trays to avoid ones nearest fan from browning more than the others, and my cake did better/flatter top using the oven below in the regular, no-fan mode.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 4:54AM
gmartinnc
Gas heat is 3D; electric is flat. Hard to cook in a wok with electric, unless it's an electric wok. LOL
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 4:58AM
roannet
I grew up with a gas range and loved it. My own house, however, is not plumbed for gas, so for the past 25 years, I had no other option but electric. I hated waiting forever for the burner to heat up, and then having to move my pot off the hot burner when done, and waiting forever for the burner to cool down. Problem solved with the advent of induction! I love induction more than gas! Instant on-off, faster, safer, cooler, more efficient. Yes, I had to replace 90% of my pots and pans, but it was worth it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:03AM
move2017
When we updated out kitchen nearly 10 years ago we discovered a Dacor Dual Fuel stove. The burners are gas and the oven is electric. LOVE it. I will never ever have an electric cook top as it's impossible to immediately control the heat.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:05AM
ljranger
I voted "other" even though induction is electric it is not the electric cooktop most have experienced. Very controlled heat like gas without the dangers of possibly leaving on the gas, the flame and the surface is an easy cleanup of the glass surface since the surface does not hold the heat, it goes to the magnetic pans. It did require new pans which I bought replacing some and using some of my existing cast iron pans which I had not used for years. Finally got an induction cooktop in December to replace my old solid surface burner electric top from the 80's and I love it.
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:14AM
Kaaren Baumgartner
BRIDGET: I hope you're still reading. In the remodel of my kitchen, since it was a remodel in this state, I did not have to have an exhaust fan. I'd had a downdraft fan before and seemed we rarely used it. How soon we forget...every time I fry bacon or sear a steak or need a really high heat, I regret not having that fan put in. We now micro bacon or grill it on gas grill outside, not ideal. Just think it over a bit. It is one of my only regrets, that and not having one of my light switches work at back door *and* doorway at other end to rest of home.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:29AM
adoptsalot
I recently tried cooking on an induction stove top... if you can remember what life was like before the microwave, just know that in ten years or so you will not be able to remember life without induction heat. Wonderful!
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:46AM
Leslie Haney
I just redid my 1967 kitchen and bought a Wolf 36" gas range (with convection) with 6 gas burners and a Wolf electric convection oven. Ive been using both and no way could i give up the gas stove. Its so easy to regulate heat and make changes instantly. Previously I had two builtin gas ovens and a separate gas cooktop but code wouldn't allow me to have two gas builtins any longer. Ive found having the convection gas oven to resolve the electric vs gas issue, I now have both.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:04AM
Анаит Азоян
qreat
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:22AM
Cathy Cusiac
Dual Fuel for me.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:28AM
mefor
Dual fuel
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:31AM
Studio M Interior Design
Absolutely gas. We love our Viking appliances!
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:51AM
laurieinpa
Induction... Having recently installed a GEProfile Induction cooktop. Absolutely love cooking on it, and cleanup is a breeze. If something spills, lift the pot and wipe clean. Doesn't burn on.
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:22AM
rbcola
Nice kitchen too!
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:44AM
AnAhitA Nazeri
Love my Gas Range for Reasons no -one thinks of ...Had it perfectly installed with firewall under and around area , Fire Block foaming , and direct venting to exterior , Now the Good news or should I say better news ..when there is a Power failure during storms ? I can Cook...I have hot water, and also I can light with a Match ....every so many Ft from source of Range are detectors for should there be a leak ,..and for that reason it leaves all others in the DARK
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:56AM
AnAhitA Nazeri
A sensible thing to do on a Monthly Basis is and inspection of all your Utilities is a must for me check all , Gas, Electric , looses cables , when I leave my home always unplug all electronics except for Surveillance Cams
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 8:04AM
Studio NOO Design
Gas is the best !
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 8:05AM
raspberryridge
I will be moving soon and after much consideration plan to purchase an electric oven with induction cook top.The precise control achieved through induction is incredible and the cost is not much more than a good gas or standard electric range.I hope to have grandkids visiting in the next few years and I feel that the cool surface will be a safety factor.I will miss some of my favorite Calphalon pans but I'm sure my daughter will make good use of them!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 8:18AM
Cheryl Serdar
Much, much prefer gas. We recently moved and there are no gas providers so have no choice but to use electric! Can't tell you how many things I have burnt or over cooked!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 8:25AM
libralady
Induction. Had my first one 20 years ago. Then there was a time you couldn't get them.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 8:40AM
heih
Induction. Wouldn't want the fumes in my house from gas cooking or the inefficiency of electric.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:05AM
westcoastjanie
I want induction, but half of my All-Clad pans are LTD have the black coating on outside. These will not work on induction. These pans were an investment over time and last a lifetime and get better with age. I don't want to get rid of them. If a magnet does not stick to your pan, it won't work on induction. I'm not willing to get rid of half of my pans. My solution, I am hoping in our new home to put side by side 15" two burner induction and 15" two burner gas as my cooktop. I can keep all my pans and have the best of both worlds. I already purchased electric double wall ovens, convection also.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:15AM
newhousealameda
My home came with 7 year old GE appliances My cooktop has flames that shoot out unevenly and cook the food unevenly and burn the pot. If anything spills over, the burner goes out until it is dry. MY GE convection/regular oven which is electric is also awful. It does not heat evenly at all. I had a disastrous first Thanksgiving here. In my old home I had bought a big electric range with a double oven. It was terrific for cooking. I really miss that small oven for cooking smaller meals. Now I end up using my cheap toaster oven.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:18AM
keniayunior
I prefer induction, I'm terrified of accidents that happen with gas.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 10:27AM
heih
@westcoastjanie You can get hob trivets for your pans and they'll work.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 10:34AM
reno2009
Love, my induction! Safety was definitely a consideration in my decision to not choose the open flame of gas. It is fast like gas and much easier to clean
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 10:34AM
246810ewc
Living in a rural Australian town, we are dependent upon bottled gas (LPG). The 'Flame' is one the natural cooking methods (...including hot rocks, hot pits etc..) The Flame is natures way of cooking and my way to. More temp control and can cook any where...unlike electric.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 12:13PM
mjmama
I have four induction elements with one gas burner. Wolf has the different components that you can make up whatever you like. I have become a huge fan of induction but find it nice to have gas available for some things.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 2:04PM
a7xfan
I have had all three. Induction wins hands down!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 2:10PM
cinderellaslipper
Gas is great for savoury cooking, as it is a moist heat, but for cakes and baking, electric, and fan assisted ovens have a dry heat which works well for sponges and pastries.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 2:20PM
apimages
Gas is great because you can see the flame. Also shut it off and it is off. No need to pull the pan from the heat. These are practical thoughts but I like to cook.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 3:29PM
2reddoga
Induction! Instant response and a constant heat, like gas, while being the safest and most energy efficient option. Bonus: you don't have to guess at the right heat level each time you cook, because "3" is always "3" without any need to visually measure the size of a flame.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:12PM
bcrlsn
I prefer convection and induction top. However, was just reading about indoor pollution (specifically carbon monoxide) and gas ranges. Apparently it's something we're starting to recognize as a potentially major issue, even WITH ventilation that has always been considered "adequate." For people with asthma or other issues making indoor pollution an issue, electric may be a healthier choice?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:25PM
debsurreal
Electric!!!! Our new home has gas - which my husband loves! Therefore, he cooks.

I miss my convection oven and electric stove. He likes that gas turns off and the food stops cooking. I've always preferred electric - food stays warm.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:26PM
bibishboy
Does induction cooker/stove belong to OTHERS. Cuz that is what I use. It's economical.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:25PM
Bridget
When I first move to my new state, 15 years ago, I had a pet cockatoo and was concern about gas fumes, more for her than me. Also have stainless steel pots and pans, no nonstick because of fumes which may general from pan if let on burner and gets too hot. If it can kill a bird, what is it doing to us. Makes me think of my grandfather and uncles who work in coal mines where the kept canaries, if the bird died, they knew to get out quick. Now it is induction cooking for me.
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:37PM
alchaplin
We love cooking on Gas. I like the idea of an Induction stove, but hate the "modern" look. It just looks out of place in what we want
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 8:47PM
sumnerstuff
Love my gas cooktop. Induction may be the new thing, but I love the way cooking with gas feels both current and connected to past generations. I just don't get that feel with smooth tops...
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:02PM
arnickels
I've run across a cooktop that has 2 induction & 3 gas burners. One of the gas burners is set up for a wok. I plan to use this cooktop in our retirement home being built & the GE Advantium oven wall unit. I replaced an electric builder grade cooktop when it died with a glass/ceramic cooktop. Never again!! Horrible to control. I bought a single induction countertop unit to try out before we get further into our building process & I love it.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:04PM
seedeal
Gas range!
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:00PM
kensailor
The main consideration has to be the carbon contribution of your range! Electric can mean carbon free cooking if your power source is from renewable sources. If your electricity supplier generates electricity from burning coal then dump your provider and find one that generates using wind or solar sources. Also consider size when choosing an oven. Do you really need such a large oven for everyday use? If you have the room and the budget consider having two ovens - one for big family meals and a much smaller one for intimate meals for the two of you. That will lower your energy bills and contribute to lowering CO2 emissions. And don't forget including a microwave in your cooking inventory. That can be a great energy saver when heating smaller items. Again, make sure your electricity provider uses renewable energy sources for electricity.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 3:18AM
Eagledzines
Gas stove, electric oven.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 6:24AM
debsurreal
Question to all who love gas ranges....do you have an secret method to easy cleaning?
    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 11:58AM
Eagledzines
My stove top is a sealed burner type. It's a Frigidaire and most of the time it just wipes clean with a cloth. The oven is gas and is self-cleaning.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 12:02PM
Virtus Design
We recommend an electric oven with induction top such as the one in our Manhattan Loft project
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 1:57PM
Kitchen Vitality Design LLC
Induction!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 2:02PM
cdn24
Love using gas. It saves time. You do need to get use to using it as it cooks faster than electric. I've learned that the hard way many times.
    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 2:17PM
wasacampbell
Induction! We had to replace our electric range about 3 years ago and got a "hybrid", two regular elements and 2 induction elements. We ended up using the induction elements almost exclusively unless we needed more cooking space. We love the induction! When we renovated our current home we installed an all induction cooktop. Great choice!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 3:11PM
cljakl
Love my gas cooktop. I wanted a gas oven, but was told not available anymore, plus was told electrical better. Got two "combi" ovens from Wolfe, which are wonderful. The stream cooks veggies perfectly. Still learning how to use to maximum but the potential is amazing. Cookies come out amazing! Tend to use the convention moist mode. Only thing I miss is a broiler, but learning to deal with that as well.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 7:57AM
jillybeansisme
Well, the almighty "Code" requires the stove to be installed or you can't get a Certificate of Occupancy. Therefore, I'm getting the cheapest gas stove I can find temporarily. When I get to move into the new house (a couple of years of "vacation home" are going to happen first), I want a "Capital" 36" (although you can get smaller) gas range with a gas convection oven and it will fit 6 of my cookie sheets at one time! It has a good-sized grill that can fit an actual steak that an adult would eat, it has a griddle, it has a rotisserie, and it is self-cleaning! It does not have LCD lights that tell you temperatures (I'll manage without). I have an asthmatic child and there has been no issue with the gas cook top whatsoever.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 9:45AM
njschaefer78
Switching to induction in our new house that's in the home stretch of completion. Can't wait!
    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 10:23AM
luckylyn5
Dual, definitely. In our kitchen remodel last year, we put in a Bosch 5 burner gas cooktop (1 burner has a very low simmer setting) along with electric double ovens (top one has convection option).

Love it! The only thing I miss is having a gas broiler - broiling in an electric oven doesn't work quite as well. If money and space weren't an issue, I would have added a salamander like in professional kitchens (separate gas broiler).

We have city natural gas which supplies cooktop and heating - much less expensive than gas. Unfortunately, the former owner removed the gas water heater and replaced it with an electric one. With 4 people showering, plus sinks, dishwasher, etc, our electric bills are ridiculous. We are switching back to a gas water heater this year and should recoup the cost within a year with savings on electric bills.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 7:40AM
llswink
Duel Fuel: It is the best of both worlds. I grew up cooking with gas and hated having to cook with electric when we moved to the south. My new stove is a duel fuel range running off of propane for the gas cook top.

NOTE: Gas ranges that don't give you good control on the flame setting need to be properly adjusted. It takes a special tool to get in there and do the job. If your "technician" tells you it can't be done, call back the service company and tell them to send out a competent technician with the proper tools to do the job. (VOE)

To the person who complained that some of the jets weren't burning: You need to take the burner tops off and use a small wire to get inside and clean them out! It isn't hard to do, and using the burners when they aren't burning efficiently is dangerous.
    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 10:00AM
Electrolux US
@jodyanns Thank you for the great feedback! Also, great feedback around induction, we find that most people once they try it - fall in love!
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 10:42AM
jodyanns
My appliance has induction, just never tried it. This thing has soo many "toys" that I don't use most of them.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 11:45AM
kranno
Induction!
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 11:55AM
Jerald Brittany Plett
I also have a gas cooktop but a gas oven as well!! I love my gas oven, it seems to good evenly and things stay more moist!! My cooktop is also amazing! I would have a difficult time parting with my gas!
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:38PM
Richard Ambrosi
Gas stove all the way!!! Try making a nice creamy risotto on an electric stove with the crappy control they have- oh yeah, you can't! lol
Second choice would be induction, great control over the temp, easy to use and most are much safer than gas or electric.
As far as a oven, all about the convection. Once you go convection, you never go back! lol
1 Like    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 3:37PM
MicKat Ken
I have had the glass top electric and the open gas flame cooktop. The glass top wins hands down for keeping clean and offering extra counter top space. It cooked well, just the slow to heat and cool. Gas is a "romantic" cooking experience, with instant response time, but much, much more work to clean. A friend has induction and she loves it. She had to buy new pans, it has instant heat response and the quickest boil I've ever seen, and the super easy to clean glass top. The burners are cool to the touch since it only reacts to the pan. Gas Convection oven, all the way!
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 3:57PM
jcornell68
I had a gas stove in our last house. When we built our current home, I went with induction. I absolutely LOVE it!
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 5:34PM
Clark Moffatt
induction
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 5:37PM
onnie128
I prefer gas, but we moved and can't have gas...I now use an induction stovetop and I love it nearly as much as gas. I find the glass easier to keep clean.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 5:42PM
Wanda Mullins
I don't have gas in my area piped to the house. Always had electric. My daughter's last three houses have had gas.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 5:45PM
Karina Clark
My preference would be dual fuel! Unfortunately too expensive for me though
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 5:46PM
2manyhorses
Have had both gas and electric for many years, but am remodeling and going with induction (which is electric). Have researched it ad nauseum and am thrilled with the easy clean up (as opposed to my current high-end gas cooktop) also looking forward to having even more control over heat levels than I currently have with gas. Frankly, would never have a "regular" electric cooktop again.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 6:10PM
Kurt Bledsoe
I prefer gas burner cooktop, but an electric oven. I find electric ovens bake more evenly than gas.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 7:09PM
brendaspaeth
Gas cooktop, electric oven, no doubt!!!
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:26PM
Haley Holroyd
I currently live in an apartment that's electric, and I definitely miss my gas stovetop! However, the electric oven is pretty nice to have. So like many have said, gas stove and electric oven is probably ideal!
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 9:36PM
Curt D'Onofrio
I grew up and thru all my adult hood have always use gas stoves. I have never used electric stoves, microwave ovens excepted, So of course i voted for gas. Their only drawback is that that i have to periodically to do a soap test on their fittings to check for gas leaks.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 10:24PM
Maria Coleman
Dual fuel is good but gas stoves are much better then electric stove It depends upto us that by using which stove we are comfortable. In my opinion gas stove is best because some times we may face the electric problems that's why we should give the first priority to gas stove and the second option is electric gas.... http://bit.ly/1eYRYlN
    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 12:51AM
linda11770
I have an electric oven but an induction cooktop. Induction is fabulous!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 10:26AM
jbsilver
The utility rates are going to increase in my area. I plan on using the grill a lot more. And who knows I may even use it more often in the winter as well. I've done this before. Gas or Electric at this point, "what ever". I have gas now because I like being able to see my fire. Plus I don't really cook as much as I use to. Empty nest. And my guests like the idea of grilled foods in all the seasons of the year. I spent a small fortune on a kitchen that gets very little use. And on pots and pans that almost do magic. Or so the guy who sold them to me said. I see these over sized kitchens and can't think of nothing but Really Really. For those who love to spend time in the kitchen more power to you. I rather be outside. I don't intend to spend to much of my time cooking during retirement years. Its time for me to be the guest.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 9:36PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Yep, the electric companys are getting rediculous with their prices. We use very little electricity, say 30 dollars of it, but it's the additional fees like transmission costs that puts it at the 100 a month mark. Go with natural gas or propane. We use propane for our stove and the cost is $20.00 for 3 months. If you love to cook, think a higher price though
    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 10:42PM
graylady52
Induction works like gas easy to clean with a smooth look
    Bookmark   January 9, 2015 at 4:38AM
AnAhitA Nazeri
Natural Gas supplied by City Lines works best always there for you when you have power outages , you will be able to cook . Also Have the Fireplace Logs gas wonderful heats the whole down stairs
    Bookmark   January 9, 2015 at 7:24AM
AnAhitA Nazeri
Just Remember to Install Carbon Monoxide Detetcors and Fire ...Still the safes because Elecrical Fires behind a Wall are super Dangerous
    Bookmark   January 9, 2015 at 7:28AM
superpascale
Dual fuel all the way. I've cooked on electric and I've cooked on gas, and I much prefer the gas. But electric works more evenly for baking.
    Bookmark   January 9, 2015 at 11:18AM
POLL: Do you use your fireplace?
Do you find that you actually use your fireplace or...
Gas vs Electric...what's the green choice?
Building a new home in the Philly suburbs. Seems to...
duffyfive
gas stove or electric stove in my new kichen
I am going to buy a new stove for my new kitchen. ...
Linda Charlton
POLL: 2014 home resolutions?
Do you have a home resolution for 2014? Vote and...
Houzz Polls
Is the undercounter oven electric or gas? Who's the maker? Size?
We don't have room (depth) for a sllde-in or free-standing...
stars22
Help! I inherited Granny's Living Room
I just moved into a new house with a bit of a monotone...
Jai Shannon
I need a bed spread for this seafoam green furniture.
I can't replace the furniture and need to make it work...
nursebes
Backsplash Ideas?
Struggling with backsplash for kitchen. Kitchen opens...
laynagillespie
need help with my kitcken
I want to paint the cabinets, walls , just installed...
Lynn Schuster
Getting a new vanity
Are these taps ok to use, or totally out of style
stoehrlis