"Master" bedroom disaster
kailuagrl
We just moved into a mid-century home. The front is pretty cool but I guess by the time they got to the back "master" bedroom, they ran out of design. The bed is in the only place it can be, and the picture shows you the wall it is on from corner to corner (I think it is 10 feet). I would love to get your ideas for colors, linens, window treatments, paint, headboard, accessories or any thing else you can think of, short of knocking down the wall or taking out the windows. BTW the windows over the bed are wood frame double hung, which I want to keep covered, at least until the bushes grow in between us and the neighbors. I am also attaching a picture of our living room so you can see our style is mid-century modern with a mix of vintage, found and designer pieces. Thanks!
apple_pie_order
What are the room dimensions? Do you have photos of the other walls? Do the closet doors swing out or slide? What is the bed size?
March 28, 2014 at 6:13PM        Thanked by kailuagrl
The room looks like ot gets enough daylight, perhaps a more bold color could help add some interest.
March 28, 2014 at 6:20PM     
kailuagrl
The bed is a California king. The room is 10' 10" wide (where the headboard would be) and 11' 8" long. One closet, the one close to the head of the bed, swings out 21". The other closet with bifold shutter doors opens out into the area right next to the entrance door. I've attached pics of the other three walls. Thanks so much!
March 28, 2014 at 6:44PM   
dclostboy
I think an addition is the only way to make the CK bed work.
March 28, 2014 at 6:55PM   
kailuagrl
I would love to do an addition but that is not in the financial cards in the near future. Even though it's a small space, it can still look good...I hope!
March 28, 2014 at 7:00PM   
There is another wall the bed can be on. I would put it under the centered window, for starters. You'll still have almost 4' at the end of the bed. Afraid that's all I got for now. But I'll think on it, and with luck, be back with something.
March 28, 2014 at 7:17PM        Thanked by kailuagrl
apple_pie_order
The large closet doors can be replaced by sliders if you need more clearance. The small closet's doors can be converted with barn door hardware if necessary.

You might try google sketchup or the Ikea kitchen planner to make a floor plan and upload as a jpg. In the meantime, masking tape on the floor can be used to outline where the bed might go.

Are you in Hawaii? If so, your windows will continue to need some sun protection. Trees in pots could be used to block the neighbors' view while you wait for the bushes to grow up.
March 28, 2014 at 7:45PM        Thanked by kailuagrl
kailuagrl
Thank you for your ideas. We tried the bed the other way but prefer it this way. My question is not about layout because it is what it is. It is about design: colors, linens, window treatments, paint, headboard, accessories. I will check out google sketchup to see if it lets me play with colors.
March 28, 2014 at 7:53PM   
nramsey1
I agree, move bed under short window. Great idea to put trees in pots outside window facing neighbors, maybe both windows since the other window faces a falling down fence. Select bedding or curtain panels first in order to get some direction for colors you want in room. I find myself offering this suggestion a lot lately, but consider painting woodwork/doors the same as walls. Maybe not all the woodwork-baseboards and window casing, but closet doors if you don't decide to replace with sliders. Maybe drapery panels on large window and roman shade in same fabric on short window over bed. Short headboard that fits under window. Then you have a starting place to decide on other furniture that will fit room.
March 28, 2014 at 8:06PM     
kaye1951
Do a search on Houzz for small bedrooms. There are many wonderful ideas from built-ins, a wall of drapes and wonderful color combos. One tip is to paint the walls and ceiling the same color. Good luck!
March 28, 2014 at 8:14PM     
Duvet from http://www.wayfair.com/Daniadown-Ginkgo-Duvet-Cover-Set-DWD1743.html
Curtains: World Market
Nightstands: West Elm
Nelson saucer lamp repro: http://www.hansenc.com/george-nelson-bubble-saucer-lamp
March 28, 2014 at 8:14PM        Thanked by kailuagrl
ashleakoo
Some type of small wall mounted floating bedside "table" shelf could be a good solution since that window is so low. Maybe in a warm wood tone. Would be nice to put the bed under the other window as you could bring in some texture with a simple upholstered headboard- maybe in a bold pattern or fabric you like. That could be a good jumping off point. Otherwise incorporate color into window coverings. Roman blinds would be a nice option. Either way I would choose fabric/linens etc first prior to settling on a paint color. Then bring in a good chair and perhaps paint out your dresser.
March 28, 2014 at 8:25PM     
libratravel
Groveraxle- you hit the jackpot! Brilliant suggestions!
March 28, 2014 at 8:31PM   
kailuagrl
Thank you groveraxel and ashleakoo. Definitely plan to paint that dresser. I like the look shown in the pic above. Not necessarily the colors but seeing how having the linens and wall one color and the draperies and accessories another color makes the room seem bigger.
March 28, 2014 at 8:35PM   
kailuagrl
This is one I really like.
March 28, 2014 at 8:45PM   
March 28, 2014 at 9:17PM      Thanked by kailuagrl
kaye1951

Another modern look....
March 28, 2014 at 9:20PM      Thanked by kailuagrl
The most disturbing thing about this room, and the reason I suggested moving the bed to the other wall, is the way that window butts up to the closet. A whole wall of drapes would fix that, but would not be in keeping with your design aesthetic. And I totally understand your wish to keep the bed on that wall; somehow we just know how we prefer to sleep in a room.

Back to the drawing board.
March 29, 2014 at 5:12AM      Thanked by kailuagrl
Levolor makes these shades in widths long enough to cover the whole wall. It would be a little less than $400 depending on length; I'd go from the ceiling to the bottom of the window.
http://www.blindsgalore.com/WindowProduct.asp?id=308322

Bedding from Target, lamp and nightstand from Ikea, headboard from AllModern.com. But you can probably repurpose/repaint some of your own furniture to make it work. There are lots of tutorials for making your own headboard. A simple dark square headboard on a lighter rectangular shade would be in keeping with the design.
March 29, 2014 at 6:34AM        Thanked by kailuagrl
dminnick4hz
Genious Idea to use a large blind as a "back drop" to cover window and add interest to the bed at the same time! You could carry that same look around the entire room with paint the same color as the blind--and keep lower 1/3 of wall white. I might add a small wood trim piece to delineate the colors--similar to a chair railing- but keep it simple. The blind may need to be 'attached" at the bottom to keep it stable and could be done on the trim piece. I love the "nook" picture in Kaye1951 photo- I would paint it the same color as the upper portion of the walls and add the same blind wall to wall to cover that other small window. You could create a small desk nook there with one shelf wall to wall at desk height and a narrower wall to wall shelf above. I think a large bed frame with head and foot boards will take up too much space- love the blue/gray with white and a pop of celery/lime green color scheme.
March 29, 2014 at 7:05AM     
apple_pie_order
If you want bright, you might look at Marimekko fabrics. Some reissues are 1960's-1970's patterns. http://www.houzz.com/marimekko
March 29, 2014 at 8:07AM     
marci4
Is there any way you can downsize to a queen-sized mattress? Perhaps not, one or both of you may be very tall or you just like the room to move around on, but it seems an awfully small room for a king-sized bed.

Besides compiling images of small bedrooms, there have been articles on Houzz on how to make a bed in the corner work. Can't tell you off the top of my head if this is a viable option for you, but it may be worth looking into.
March 29, 2014 at 8:28AM        Thanked by kailuagrl
kailuagrl
Thanks for all the great ideas, folks! My hubby and I were talking about levelor blinds last night so glad to see we are thinking on the same page. Thanks for the link to blinds galore!
March 29, 2014 at 10:50AM   
kailuagrl
Wow groveraxel, I didn't realize until just now that was *my* bedroom that you fixed. Thank you SO much.
March 29, 2014 at 11:22AM     
kailuagrl
Groveraxel, my husband and I love your ideas! We are going to get the levolor blinds as you suggest, ceiling to the bottom of the window. We just noticed the ceiling is uneven but he will get a piece of 1 x 6 board and paint it the color of the ceiling and cut it to fit the slope and cover the top of the blind. I really like how you showed that texture in the bed spread can make such a difference, so we will go with that. He actually is a lamp and furniture maker so for the lamp, what we liked is how you showed it had some height, so he will put one of his lamps in that corner with some height. He has never made a headboard before but is up for the challenge. He has been inspired for some time by the theme of perforations, so is thinking to make a black headboard with oval perforations. I get the job of refinishing the platform bed and the dresser to match. I can't wait to start and will post pictures when we are complete. Thank you SO much!
March 29, 2014 at 11:05PM     
Pacific Coast Drapery Manufacturing
What Groveraxels photo doesn't show is the light coming through the window treatment. You might want to purchase something with a blackout fabric if you are going to go that way. Also the pleated shade you are looking at the fabric is pretty thin etc.

A wall to wall drapery can provide a backdrop like what you are looking for.
March 30, 2014 at 11:20AM     
Pacific Coast Drapery Manufacturing
Note this photo was taken about 3 pm on a sunny day. Regarding the uneven ceiling your idea to use a board works great or you can put crown molding in and move it away from the wall about 6" or so to install drapery or shades etc.
March 30, 2014 at 11:22AM      Thanked by kailuagrl
Pacific Coast Drapery Manufacturing
By the way this treatment was supposed to go wall to wall and ceiling to floor but the homeowner did not consult with his designer and installed the crown molding to the wall and put in that light right where our drapes were to go. Luckily we measured the house a second time before we manufactured the drapes.
March 30, 2014 at 11:24AM   
Color disaster (Master Bedroom)
I really wanted a coral/gray bedding. But now I'm having...
Master Bath - Disaster to Delightful
Our master bathroom was a collection of carpeted, dark...
Master bathroom is a disaster.
Our bathroom is completely outdated and needs new shower...
Our Master Bath is an oudated disaster!
The "garden tub" is inaccessible for my wife, the double...
MASTER BATH IS A DISASTER!
We had a leak coming in from the roof through the light...
Please help with paint color(s)
I've decided to paint the shutters Ben Moore Essex...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Rug for entryway
Any input for the best rug size and placement for this...
Living room in need of makeover, please help!
I am open to any suggestions. This room needs a change!...
Is this door considered modern ?
Hi, I m looking for a modern door made of wood that...