Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Do you have a "Coffee Station" in your home?

Emily H
10 years ago
I am seeing more and more dedicated coffee stations in photos on Houzz. Do you have a dedicated area in your kitchen or elsewhere in your home that serves this purpose? If so, let's hear about it!

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

kitchen · More Info

Comments (136)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I don't have a coffee station but would love one. I hate the coffee pot on top of my counter using cooking space. I don't have any other space for one.
  • debsurreal
    10 years ago
    Nope. No stimulants other than H2O
  • goofapotamus
    10 years ago
    Husband runs a coffee blog (coffeeratings.com) and roasts his own at home. So yeah, we have a coffee station.
  • loves2read
    10 years ago
    We have two homes--coffee space in both with Kuerigs--
    our TX house has an appliance garage where I think the previous owners kept their coffee machine but I wanted ours closer to the kitchen table...
    The upper cabinet is too low to allow the coffee pod drawer with the Kuerig on top so we use a revolving stand next to it--
    I have a ceramic bowl for the Splenda and a sample 6 inch tile I picked up someplace that i use for a spoon rest and to rest a used coffee pod vs on the granite....

In our FL house we have same K model and another vertical coffee pod holder--a tray holds a Fiesta covered sugar bowl for the Splenda and the sugar packet cubby for the used ones--and we lay the spoon there...
    don't use milk/cream that much so don't usually keep it out...
  • granny4ten
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Made a wet bar/coffee station in the family room next to the kitchen with built in coffee machine that makes espresso, lattes and coffee. Drawer below machine has coffee supplies: mugs, sugar, coffee, etc. Refrigerator also built in.
  • Amy Klein
    9 years ago
    I made the closest thing to a coffee station. I just dedicated the cupboard above my coffeemaker and toaster to coffee necessities: coffee, filters, mugs, sweeteners. I also keep my teas there too. It's the same idea. Everything needed to make coffee is in one spot. In my parent's kitchen, the coffee and mugs were always in a cupboard on the other side of the sink from the coffeepot. That always seemed so inefficient to me.
  • javajudo
    9 years ago
    I moved from a city with a Starbucks on every corner to a city where I have to drive to one of two Starbucks. So, my sweetheart built me my own Coffee cafe!!!!
  • dolphindancer30
    9 years ago
    No dedicated coffee station here. My 1964 era kitchen is very small and has precious little counter space. So it's pour over Melitta or Aeropress. The coffee equipment stores away in a cabinet, freeing counter space. I'm really surprised at the number of people who use k-cups, considering how expensive the coffee pods are. But we all economize differently, and I'm scrimping for a kitchen remodel, which will be about 5-6 years down the road.
  • Will Weider
    9 years ago
    Here are some pictures of our coffe station. we picked out the coffee maker first, then sized the cabinets accordingly. we also made sure that the coffee mugs and coffee beans were arms length away.
  • Sally Pascale
    9 years ago

We created a coffee station in our butler's pantry, with the coffee maker and my Lavazza espresso maker. I only recently discovered the joy of lattés... which is typical for me... and there is nothing like a milk frother! Its so handy in the morning or when we are entertaining.

• A&R bought a ranch
    9 years ago
    You could call it a station. At the end of the counter sits the coffee maker, grinder, sugar canister and my tea canister. My kettle never leaves the top of the stove. I drink tea and coffee and the husband is strictly coffee.
  • Kivi
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I do have a coffee "zone".... but a fancy pants dedicated coffee station sounds like a great idea! Gonna have to work that into the next redesign .

• genealoner
    9 years ago
    At long last, here's the new coffee station. Pods in a drawer, cups, etc. in the cupboard above. Love it. And a chalkboard for reminders.
  • nickybumps
    9 years ago
    Didn't know we were so trendy! We've had a Jura Capresso coffee center for several years, so when we bought a house last year that had a built in desk area in the kitchen (which is dated anyway, isn't it?) it was the perfect place to become a coffee center for the coffee center. We love our coffee and love our machine, so having a special spot for it is great fun.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    9 years ago

Preparing for an Easter crowd, I just put a pair of reading glasses in my drawer of Keurig selections located under the countertop brewing machine. I find that I can keep about a dozen open Kcup boxes neatly arranged in there, which I much prefer to the countertop racks you have to load and that look to me like POP's -- retail point-of-purchase displays -- not a look I want for the home kitchen. The only problem is that the side of the box that opens has the least prominent -- if any -- labeling, hence the reading glasses.

(Anyone have a favorite blend to recommend? I always seem to come back to my mainstays of Kahlua, which cracks me up because it's coffee flavored to begin with -- but has a perfect hit of vanilla, and Green Mountain Half-Caf since I started to get high blood pressure readings when I first switched to coffee. And I always have Dunkin on hand for my contractor.)

• User
    9 years ago
    It's the first thing you see as you walk into the kitchen, probably :)
  • handymam
    9 years ago

My coffee making area is right next to the sink. The cabinet above holds cups. A ceramic cannister holds coffee for my old school, electric coffee pot. The sugar container and a small spoon rest are there too. I leave it them out on the (horrors!) laminate counter all the time. The pot takes up very little space and brews excellent, hot coffee.

• Kelley Blevins
    9 years ago
    We've been remodeling the 1979 kitchen we bought and are turning the built in desk into a coffee/breakfast center. Coffee station, toaster, bananas, and all that sort of thing. I'm loving it.
  • printesa
    9 years ago

Not a fan of Keuring, but someone was mentioning Barista Italian Roast..apparently it's good. I tried K-cups coffee and found it very weak.

• makaloco
    9 years ago

No station per se, just a counter spot between stove and sink for my little Moulinex coffee maker. Mugs and coffee are on a shelf within arm's reach. I "load" the machine the night before and just press the button in the morning. While it's brewing, I get the half and half from the fridge. Pretty simple.

• kulrn
    9 years ago

Coffee station with mugs stored above. This tiny counter next to my fridge is pretty useless for anything else!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 years ago

I do if you substitute "wine" for "coffee" and "rack" for "station".

• sheilaskb
    9 years ago

I do not yet have one, but I would love to as my husband is into coffee and snacks throughout the day. I got one idea from seeing photos of kitchens in Florida homes. Since the homes are built of concrete block, the kitchen cabinets are on the interior walls, leaving the exterior kitchen wall blank. If my husband and I were to buy such a home in Florida, I would love to put base cabinets along the blank kitchen wall to hold the microwave, coffee maker, toaster, and a bar sink. At the right end, I would want a small refrigerator with the handle on the left so that a person could set refrigerated things on the counter and pour beverages easily. I would envision a small storage unit at the left end of the cabinets for snack foods, paper plates, cups, coffee and filters, and the toaster and coffee maker when not in use. A few feet from the cabinets would be my husband's recliner for dozing off in front of a television placed at the end of the interior wall cabinet. Oh, to dream!!!

• User
    9 years ago

Kind of. I'm old school. I have an electric kettle and I use either the pour over method or a french press. No more machines for me. Mugs and filters are in the cabinet above. In fact, it's a beverage station/wine bar.

• patrinkac
    9 years ago
    Love my coffee station with my Keurig sm and lg......cups spoons sugar (and sweeteners), as well as selection of coffee and tea.
  • Cor
    9 years ago
    Ours is tucked into an appliance garage next to the refrigerator.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I agree Keurig does not make the best coffee, but I refuse to have any appliance in my home that is smarter than me, (not that hard to find, actually) or that costs more than my monthly mortgage payment. My station is the kitchen counter, with a large glass cylindrical vase to hold pods. The Mickey Mouse cups are in a cabinet the same side as the machine. While I drink a lot of coffee, my husband doesn't, he just cares that it's hot and caffeinated.
  • dlfrun66
    8 years ago

I have two coffee stations in my home. I'm a tea addict and the rest of my family loves tea and especially coffee.

My coffee bar in the kitchen includes:

a Cuisinart Coffee Pot with a hot water system for tea.

A Breville - The Barista Express for making espresso and cappuccino.

An insta Hot on the sink.

In the basement family room/bar I have a coffee closet that includes:

Keurig

Nespresso Essenza Machine

Mr. Coffee Pot

Bella Electric Tea Kettle

Coffee Closet in Basement:

Coffee Bar in Kitchen

• lindabdjllc
    8 years ago

Coffee is a must first thing in the morning, so with our baker's rack coffee station on the master bedroom deck, we can enjoy coffee and hummingbirds without a trip downstairs first to the kitchen. Assorted coffee, tea, hot cocoa, and spices for year round bird watching. So convenient, so relaxing.

• dreamhomechicc
    8 years ago

They're definitely pretty, but I don't like coffee haha. When I settle down, hopefully my husband will love coffee and then I can have one for hubby and guests :)

• alterntativeruthie
    8 years ago

Chose these tiles in part because of our coffee mugs!

Does anyone else worry about steam from the coffee pot under the cabinets? Just had these done and would hate to damage them. I do notice steam on the underside of them above the coffee maker...

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi! Alternativeruthie, :) I always pull my coffee pot out a bit while brewing and put it back in place after it's done. I have never had any issues with the cabinetry. (both solid wood and not/particleboard) Enjoy.... very cool tiles! :)

Just to add... I also believe because it's (steam) not confined, and out in the open... that it dries rather quickly. Basically no different than wiping down your cabinets when cleaning. At least this is my experience ... :)

• sbrunge
    7 years ago

What is the brand/style of the dishes on your shelf above the coffee maker?

• Rportea
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have a question... is it bad to have two coffee makers on your counter?? My husband keeps saying I shouldn’t have both.. is there a rule?? I feel both machines are completely different. The coffee maker to the right is by de’longhi and it’s an espresso/coffee maker. I need opinions.. in the morning I feel using the Keurig is much faster. And I can use the de’longhi in the weekends when I can make fancy cappacinos..please help... I love my coffee bar section

• zazfuzzroc
    5 years ago

@Rportea, As a coffee lover... I love it, I don't think it's bad at all. :)

• Rportea
    5 years ago

@zazfuzzroc Thank you! It’s the only thing on our counter ... and since it’s the bar area I also think it’s great. They are not huge machines

• gato s
    5 years ago
    Always loved a designated area for a coffee station. When we have company a tray with cups is added to piur and take to the table :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    5 years ago

@Reportea, you're welcome and it makes perfect sense to me. It looks neat, clean and organized ... I think it's well done. :)

• lawsonch19
    5 years ago

We just added a coffee station in an underused corner of our kitchen - inspired by this We This This discussion inspired us to add a coffee station in an underused corner of our kitchen. I love all the new colors that Keurig's come in; this one is "Oasis".

• emily
    5 years ago
    We are complete coffee addicts who drink both espresso and iced coffee year round, so we not only have a coffee station in our kitchen (made from a refinished factory cart on casters) but we had a tap installed so that our favorite local coffee people here in RI—The Nitro Cart—can bring us monthly kegs of their cold brew, which is tapped over nitrogen for that creamy nitro cold brew deliciousness. We have no regrets.
  • Kathleen Harrington
    5 years ago
    I am a retired flight attendant, every place in my kitchen is a "station"!
  • Joe T.
    5 years ago

"...is it bad to have two coffee makers on your counter?"

Looks fine to me. We have both a coffee maker and espresso maker in our coffee/breakfast station.

The original owner of our house, who built it in 1957, had a button next to the bed in the master bedroom that he would push first thing in the morning, and it would start the percolator in the kitchen at the opposite end of the house.

• acm
    5 years ago

well, the thread is several years old, but I do enjoy looking at photos of coffee stations! :)

• granom
    5 years ago
    Yes. Supplies overhead. Coffee for guests in the drawer below. I use a refillable pod for myself.
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

the whole point of my kitchen is to have a place to grind my beans and make my morning mug. anything else that happens there is just icing on the coffee cake.

• saratogaswizzlestick
    5 years ago

I don't have one but I wonder if Sophie does? Where is Sophie anyway?

• Kris Bruesehoff
    5 years ago

We have a coffee/wine bar in our master... who wants to walk all the way to the kitchen when you need caffeine in the morning? and well wine should be within easy reach as well right?

• PRO
    Studio Geiger Architecture
    5 years ago

A coffee station is essential in our house. Ours has a tea area with an electric kettle, too. Some of my favorite stations can be opened and closed as needed. What do you think of these below?

Coffee Stations we love · More Info

• Alex Miller
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Great ideas, thanks for sharing!

As for now, it's not a station, more like a "coffee spot" since my wife can't drink coffee currently. So here's my setup:

Consider them to be "essentials". Especially the grinder.

Our machine - Gaggia - is not used at the moment, so it's not on a photo. Wish I could improve this spot - also to move it closer to the sink since all the cups (my favorites among them) are stored in the cupboard. No drawers near this spot either. Ugh.

So any cool cup trees, anyone? Seems like a small but nice addition to me, though I can't find any interesting options.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

It only makes sense to have your coffee maker, coffee, teas, sweeteners, mugs, spoons and any other hot drink necessities in one location. I also like having the microwave and refrigerator nearby because I prefer hot cream in my coffee.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH