ktfoster
February 23, 2012 in Photo Questions
I would like to recreate this look in my kitchen, but I have 8 foot ceilings. Would you take the cabinets up to the ceiling in this case,or not?
Aaron Bowman
it is very difficult to create this beam/pillar look with an 8' ceiling without overpowering the space, especially if the space is smaller to begin with.
Also, taking the cabinets up to the ceiling creates a TOTALLY different look. I would suggest finding some other pictures that closer approximate the space you have to work with before making a final decision
February 23, 2012 at 12:02PM     
If your ceilings are plain then yes have 42 inch tall top cabinets but if the ceiling has beams or a ceiling like in the picture then you can not.
February 23, 2012 at 12:07PM   
ktfoster
Sorry, I should have been more specific... I will be leaving the ceiling plain. I meant the clean look of the white cabinets, dark counters and floors. I just want to make the space look as open as possible and wasn't sure if the cabinet height would play a part in this one way or the other with my lower ceilings.
February 23, 2012 at 12:31PM   
A lot of people who have 8 ft. ceilings go with the full height upper cabinets so they don't have to clean the tops.
February 23, 2012 at 2:19PM   
jstewart8855
I have 8 ft ceilings and recently remodeled my kitchen. I took my upper cabinet all the way up to the ceiling with a very small crown molding. I had lights put in the very top cabinets and plan on putting decorative plates in them. Those doors are glass. I am amazed at how different my kitchen looks from before even though I had to keep almost the same configuration. It looks much bigger with the taller cabinets.
February 23, 2012 at 2:30PM     
Aaron Bowman
To clarify jstewart8855, this would be done using a "stacked wall cabinet" of 42" in height. The bottom doors would have wood panels, and the upper compartment (usually 12" or so) would have glass doors that could be lit.
Depending upon your budget, I think this can be a great look, but is typically not used to store anything, only for decorations and lighting.
February 23, 2012 at 3:20PM     
ktfoster
thanks very much!
February 23, 2012 at 4:23PM   
No - you can get full height doors ( one piece door). They don't have to be divided. Looks more tailored and contemporary.
February 23, 2012 at 4:34PM   
Cynthia Murphy
I run into this question all the time with my business. I recommend trying to use 39"high cabinets and have 3" of crown. I believe the importance in creating the height comes from having the taller cabinets with the crown to help them transition into the ceiling. Many cabinet lines now have the 39" high cabinets but if not I would consider the 36" cabinets using two piece crown to go to the ceiling. Either way go to the ceiling to create the height. I probably have some pictures you could refer to.
February 23, 2012 at 5:30PM     
vickintx
so if you have 12feet ceiling what kind of cabinets do you recommend?
February 24, 2012 at 1:08PM   
if anyone would want to go that high for storage like in a loft - then you can double stack the unites and have a rolling ladder to get to the top ones . That's also double the money too. For 12 ft. ceilings just go as high as you can afford.
February 24, 2012 at 2:46PM   
teresalott
I have 8 foot ceiling and am in the process of having cabinet finished. Removed 30 yr old cabinet that had been stained, and took them all the way up with AMAZING crown. I am going to have them painted cream with raw umber glaze. I wish I knew how to post pictures so that you could appreciate his workmanship.
April 9, 2012 at 6:39PM   
trendyrendy
I am remodeling a kitchen with 8 ft. Ceilings and would like to take the cabinets up to the ceiling for space and make the room appear larger...But I don't want to be drowning in a sea of white as antique white cabinets blend into the ceiling. I would like some contrasting wall color to break up all the white (love white and khaki together.) Should I paint an 8ft ceiling a light khaki for contrast or install short stubby cabinets to allow some paintable drywall between them and ceiling? Help!
June 20, 2012 at 11:34AM     
vickintx
cynthia murphy,

im in such a design dilemma. I have 12 feet ceiling and beams also. I can not decide how my dimensions of my cabinets are. any pics would be great! please help asap, thanks!!!
July 19, 2012 at 3:49PM   
cam349
Vickintx, go check out the kitchen forum at Garden Web [http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/], you will get a ton of help over there if you post your question.
July 30, 2012 at 3:36AM   
Sandra Alger, CID, Fresh Ideas by Sandy
Trendy, I would suggest you go to the ceiling with your cabinets- if you can. Paint your ceilings a lighter hue than the walls, or a white with a hint of blue to make the ceilings appear taller. Try baby'sbreath OC-62 or White ice Oc-58 BM. for ceilings. with a neutral color on the walls. Hope this helps.
September 7, 2012 at 11:19AM   
trendyrendy
thanks so much! I've decided (and my cabinetmaker agreed) to do what you said and take them all the way to the ceiling.
September 7, 2012 at 11:28AM   
Sandra Alger, CID, Fresh Ideas by Sandy
Great, send us some photos when you are finished. and have fun!!
September 7, 2012 at 11:35AM   
Garrison Hullinger Interior Design Inc.
Don't forget to post photos.
October 27, 2012 at 7:43PM     
Most hideous gift you've received for your house?
Friends and family always have the best intentions,...
Looking for someting to go on the wall in my dining room
Looking for something that does not compete with the...
Circle stains on my new quartzite!
Picture doesn't really do it justice but my new quartzite...
advice on glass patio doors
We are planning to place glass patio doors to an internal...
Declutter Challenge! - August 2014
I don't know about you, but I have several areas in...