Inherited grandmas chairs… now what?
Britt Melhorn
Hello!
I recently inherited a pair of chairs from my grandmother, that are so unique and I really like them. They will be going in our living room that's a work in progress. The only thing in there now is our dark brown leather sofa. Oh, and the fireplace :)
Any suggestions on:
area rug style/type, curtain, lamp, etc.. whatever would tie it all together is appreciated!
I am envisioning a cozy, comfortable, whimsical, easy to be in space.
Great chair! Start by working over your FP focal point so we can angle the chair next to it for a smashing way to draw the eye into your room. Comment here and post a good pic of the FP wall by using the Attach Images button.
1 Like   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 2:13PM
Pamela van der Ploeg
Gorgeous chair - cant wait to see what you do! No credentials here but I would pick a colour from the chair and work with that (personally I love the blue). Since it is quite ornate I would tend to lean towards more simple additions like a unpretentious rug (maybe one that replicates the swirl of the chairs pattern in the pile).
2 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 2:20PM
daydrie
That is a Beautiful Chair!!! I agree with Pamela and i would create an accent wall using a blue hue from chair and just add splashes of other colors in lamps Picked up from grandma's chair. I would keep most of everything else muted so the focal Point would be that beautiful chair.!
0 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 2:55PM
Britt Melhorn
Thank you! I'm excited about the chairs and am looking forward to having a room I love to be in. I took some quick pics of the room as is… a bit embarrassing.. but the ottoman I don't think goes, nor the rug. (like I said work in progress!)
0 Likes   March 30, 2014 at 3:01PM
daydrie
o there are two of them!! Awesome!! The ottoman is beautiful but it clashes with the chairs, at least being that close to them. If you decide to keep the rug, you need some other dark (black?) elements in the room to tie it together. You have a great room to work with with nice beautiful natural lighting pouring inside! you are off to a great start. I cant wait to see the finished look!
2 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 3:40PM
Barnhart Gallery
Thank you Grandma! Here's my five minutes of musing on her wonderful, whimsical chairs. You'll see that in finding a rug, I thought, hmm, honeycombs. Flowers. Beezz...
The hive artist also does custom work, just the right size and even more to the colors in the chair, although this one's pretty close as it is.
Follow the path that Grandma's chairs lead your muse, and you'll have a home like no other.
http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/173373/KASOriental/Meridian/Honeycomb/Seafoam2525 http://catalog.sourcecollection.com/decorativeaccessories/pillows/D30000.html https://www.etsy.com/listing/167422903/by-the-water-blue-horse-giclee-print?ref=sr_gallery_33&ga_search_query=blue+bee&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=7&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_view_type=gallery https://www.etsy.com/listing/122274035/beehive-acrylic-painting-on-canvas?ref=sr_gallery_13&ga_search_query=blue+bee&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=12&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_view_type=gallery

-- Cursor over for wide view. --
3 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 4:15PM
tkailua
I love these chairs! Personałly, I am not a fan of blue, and would pick out the oranges and yellows for accent colors. The ottoman could possibly go in another area, or be recovered. Grandma gave you a wonderful gift
2 Likes   March 30, 2014 at 4:26PM
tkailua
Sofa facing the fireplace..grandmas chairs flanking either side. I like your current paint color. Recover ottoman and you are sets
2 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 4:30PM
aeramsey04
I love those chairs! They should be the focal point of the entire room. Of course, the sofa doesn't go with them at all. However, think about fabric to cover large soft pillows for the sofa that will bring the two together. Another must is the mantle. A nice larger picture which can bring the chairs & sofa together into the room. Not sure about a flowers pic, Perhaps framed fabric that co-ordinates with chairs & sofa. Or a soft Monet. I wouldn't worry about the rug too much. I think a solid would be the best way to go, or 2-toned (center one color with a border of another color - no patterns or flowers). Think about a glass coffee table rather than the ottoman.
1 Like   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 4:46PM
Ann
I like the chairs very much but they make a huge pattern statement so I'd get lots of solids to work with them. The sofa is great but a very different style so, by default, your room will be eclectic - which can be a heck of a lot of fun. I'd skip a rug since you have carpeting. I'd get the ottoman recovered in a bold solid color (taken from one of the chair colors) and then add some pillows with bold colors to the sofa. I'd move the mirrors over the fireplace to a narrow wall somewhere and use them as a vertical pair and buy a single piece of simple abstract art (with the same strong colors) to place up there, taking everything else down. So, basically, I'd let the chairs be the star of the room with lots of bold colored and modern, but very simple, items as the supporting cast. I think that could give you that fun, whimsical look without being just "too much". I attached some pics just to show you the type of art I might look for.
[houzz=Tranquil Eclectic Residence]
[houzz=Living Room 1]
[houzz=Living Room 2]
[houzz=Livingroom]
2 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 4:52PM
mkmort
Recover the ottoman with deep velvet blue from the chairs.
2 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 4:53PM
Ann
Oh, I overlapped with aeramsey 04. I just want to add that the framed fabric idea is very interesting and could work well!
0 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 4:54PM
Not to confuse you, but here are some fabrics I've picked for the ottoman. They run the gamut on price, but for so little fabric and free chairs that deserve the right complement, you can splurge a little. So here they are!
2 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 4:56PM
And a few more... Personally, I'm drooling over some of these. If you like, I'll help you move forward with ordering some samples.
1 Like   March 30, 2014 at 4:58PM
Ann
Oh, I LOVE that fabric in the top right corner of that group of 4!!
1 Like   March 30, 2014 at 4:58PM
Ann
Wow, I was referring to the first group but I also love the left two in the second group!!
0 Likes   March 30, 2014 at 5:00PM
If samples reveal that the colors are true to what I see on my monitor, I'd want the solid blue silk in the last group for drapes flanking the windows and the tweedy blue next to it for the ottoman. The orange could be for square pillows on the brown sofa and skinny lumbar pillows in the two chairs. Arrange the two flanking FP with sofa facing it, all within 18" of the ottoman. You'll need a tray for the ottoman too.
1 Like   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 5:02PM
Britt Melhorn
WOW thanks! I love fabrics with a simple same tone pattern or texture. There are sooo many great ideas my head is spinning!
1 Like   March 30, 2014 at 6:44PM
Anjelica from Spruce Home
Love those chairs to death! I am jealous, they look like something Anthropologie would have for $2,000!

Absolutely work off the darker orange and the royal blue found in the chair fabric. Utilize this color palette for fun ikat patterned throw pillows for the sofa. Splashes of bright yellow here and there (vases, a throw, a lamp base). These pieces work together, don't fret!

A flat weave rug in black and white. An interesting cocktail table that is natural wood in any shape would work! Only look for pieces that are light finishes, any dark wood would possibly make this space look a bit old fashioned. These chairs scream comfortable, whimsy, and eclectic space needed!
0 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 10:02PM
Anjelica from Spruce Home
By taking a look at your other photos I honestly don't feel the layout works right. The chairs are too close to eachother and the piece behind them.

If you're open to it, move the sofa so it's facing the fireplace, an angled sofa only really works when it's a smaller piece or it has curvier lines. A long streamlined sofa needs to be parallel with the length of the room. Angle the two chairs opposite the sofa, slightly facing eachother, flanking the fireplace.

The ottoman and rug don't work too well, but more so the otto. Don't do any other patterns if you can, only with throw pillows and a rug that has a sharper pattern, I wouldn't try to match the style of the chairs. Have some composition, the end result will be a room that focuses on the statement pieces, which are those chairs, but also is inviting and keeps the eye moving.
1 Like   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    March 30, 2014 at 10:10PM
aeramsey04
I think the ottoman could be covered in solid, with brown somewhere in it to tie together the sofa & chairs. On the otherhand, you could remove the paded top of the ottoman & replace with glass, then include a 2-toned small rug beneath it.
0 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    April 1, 2014 at 3:28PM
sondramartina
Something similar
1 Like   April 1, 2014 at 5:31PM
pattikee
Love those chairs too! Would the configuration work if the couch faced the fireplace and you bad a chair on either side facing each other. You need a little more drama to compliment the chairs. A bold painting over the fireplace, substantial curtains will help balance the room.
0 Likes   Thanked by Britt Melhorn    April 1, 2014 at 5:54PM
Trying to recover grandma's chair-- where would I find this fabric?
Trying to recover grandma's chair-- where would I find...
New chair! Now what rug/pillows?
I bought this cute chair but i don't think the rug...
What is the brand od this table and chairs? No real answer until now!!
It seems that many people are interested to know more...
The entry used to be a porch..Now not sure what it is now.
We just purchased a recently remodeled mid century...
Help needed on exterior colour for house
We are repainting our house and have narrowed colours...
Outdated galley kitchen. Ideas ?
Planning a very pale grey cabinet (painting) . Would...
Old tile is discontinued.
I'm extending the lanai but can't find the same tile....
New Design
I have a solid natural oak coloured kitchen which I...
Wood Living Room Floor Lamp
This leggy lovely will let you see your decor in a...