need help to neutralize yellow oak trim
emelmay
Please help! I tried sherwin williams kilim beige but it is darker than what i had in mind. I am now looking for an off white that will neutralize the yellow of our oak trim. Also what about doing the fireplace wall an accent color? What do you suggest? (we are installing hardwood floors darker than the trim if that helps) Thanks!
rosecottagehome
Love the fireplace! If you are putting in new hardwood floors......just thinking how amazing that space would look with out those half height walls around this grand room. I know you did not ask for that advice but it was just a thought : ))
March 30, 2014 at 3:02PM     
Kelli Kaufer Designs
I have to agree, if you are redoing all the floors, think about removing the half walls and make it a step down.....
March 30, 2014 at 3:11PM     
hayleydaniels
Your home is beautiful!

Would you consider something besides a shade of white? The reason I ask is because I think the colors green and blue go beautifully with all shades of woodwork.

Here's a very light grayish green that would look great with the woodwork. It's Benjamin Moore's october mist #1495:
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/octobermist

If you want to do an accent wall with the fireplace, I would go BM's home on the range #483 that is one of the recommended colors to go with october mist. I used a slightly less olive green in my house, and can't tell you how much I love it. It's so warm and inviting, I wish I'd done it years ago.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/homeontherange

I would be careful about trying to coordinate with one of the colors in the fireplace as it's very hard to pinks and oranges that work with oak trim which is why greens and blues are my default color for wood trim.
March 30, 2014 at 3:15PM      Thanked by emelmay
lizpb85
What a unique space!!
March 30, 2014 at 3:16PM      Thanked by emelmay
KShoa
You have a lot of warm colors with your honey trim and dark yellow stones. Adding hardwood will add more warm colors to it. To balance it, use cool colors like grays/greens/blues. I suggest a darker accent color around the fireplace (to make it pop) with various lighter shades (otherwise it'll be too dark in there).
March 30, 2014 at 3:23PM      Thanked by emelmay
shelleyuk
I also agree, lose the half walls. They are chopping up your beautiful space.

i would paint a very very pale but warm grey, go dark with the floors and white with the trim.
March 30, 2014 at 3:26PM      Thanked by emelmay
ProSource Memphis
To make a color seem less intense, you use a close relative to it, and it will seem less intense in comparison. To make orange oak seem less orange, something like a terra cotta would tone down the contrast between the orange and white that currently exists and that magnifies the orange.
March 30, 2014 at 3:51PM      Thanked by emelmay
emelmay
Thank you all!!! I wanted to take the walls down but our budget is maxed out. Now with all of your agreeing on this I am rethinking it. I'll ask the contractor tomorrow :)
March 30, 2014 at 4:10PM     
Oak & Broad
The Oak is that color in part because it was finished with an Oil based polyurethane finish. Thats where they yellow color comes from. If you sand and refinish it with a Water Based Clear Poly finish the home will feel a lot more modern. As for darker floors... Check these out! Black Walnut and also Charcoal Belgian Oiled floors.
March 30, 2014 at 4:14PM      Thanked by emelmay
Mary Frieson
Add color! Accents cool furniture pieces.
April 7, 2014 at 8:18AM      Thanked by emelmay
Virginia Tracy
If you feel you need something to keep people from falling because of the sunken area around the fireplace replace the half walls with a railing. I'd go for something that matches the new flooring rather than the yellow oak.
April 7, 2014 at 9:20AM      Thanked by emelmay
Declutter Challenge! - August 2014
I don't know about you, but I have several areas in...
Choosing paint color for year-round sunroom
Seeking suggestions for paint colors for a sunroom,...
Need advice on chandelier for dining room
We just moved into our home in April and I'm hoping...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Living room color help please
My husband is handicapped and requires a lift chair...