New beach home and clueless as to how to decorate it

dinatale2March 31, 2014
I'm buying a new home near the beach and don't know where to start. I like traditional but still want it to have a beach feel. I also want it to be easily livable. Please help! Photo is of family room.
Amplio
Do you have any furniture that you are going to use?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 4:45AM
dinatale2
Not yet, but I have two boxers so I was leaning toward leather.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 4:48AM
Amplio
Okay, I take it that you live in the US? Only so I know what kind of stores you have access too?
    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 4:54AM
dinatale2
Myrtle beach area
    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 4:58AM
dinatale2
Here's the plan do you can get a feel.
    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 5:02AM
dinatale2
We close in late April and I have a short time to furnish and decorate whole house. So I have to have everything in my head and hopefully ordered to be delivered in late April/early May.
    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 5:05AM
dinatale2
In the master bath, we are planning to remove current vanity, go down to one sink, to make room for my long-awaited claw foot tub. ANY suggestions would help. I have NO direction.
    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 5:07AM
Margaret B
Have you considered slip covered furniture?
Living Room · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 5:10AM
Belle Chaise
You can't go wrong with blue in a beach house. Have fun!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 5:17AM
dinatale2
I probably will go with a blue in at least one room. I love the look of white with blue or vice versa.
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 5:31AM
dinatale2
I hadn't thought of slip covered furniture because they are so big and rough that they would likely just rip through fabric. I'd just like them off the furniture but my husband lets them go wild.
    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 5:33AM
Warner Decor
Hi! Here are some ideas that may inspire you and aren't too over the top beachy:

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/vintage-coral-i/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/purple-coral-i/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/turquoise-coral-ii/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/eco-coral-throw-milk-spice/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/wayfair/tommy-bahama-palma-sola-decorative-pillow/

http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/5x8-ivory-moroccan-shag-rug/

Hope these help!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 5:43AM
dinatale2
Thank you everyone. So far, I'm liking the ideas you've had for me...keep the coming. Any furniture ideas? Is white leather tacky? I thought I could do light blue walls, white leather couches, and then ???
    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 5:52AM
Libbmom
If you can find furniture with Crypton fabric...it's suppose to be pet sturdy...
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 5:57AM
cloudpants
Check out a beach cottage dot com. Some of Sarah's rooms have featured on Houzz. Her decorating ideas are inspirational to say the least.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 6:02AM
Amplio
Yes do light blue/grey walls.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 6:24AM
Amplio
I would go for a brown classic chesterfield, it will look better the more you use it.Here is a mood board.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 6:43AM
ballyhoogirl
There is a store in Columbia, SC called Carolina Imports Furniture that has a lot of painted/distressed furniture that goes well in a beach house. I know you can order specific colors, but if you need it all right away, they still might have a good bit of what you need. It is imported, well built and sturdy.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 6:54AM
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
I would do something very casual and relaxed in overall feeling, comfortable seating that is easy upkeep, lots of wood, and some reclaimed objects. The color direction should be driftwood, greige, grey, pale cerulean and white. I have a million ideas already. Would love to chat, feel free to call us.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 6:59AM
bluenan
You can use brown, or better yet, caramel colored leather with blue and white.
Marcelo Brito & Pedro Potaris - Sao Paulo - Brazil · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 8:10AM
Master Tile LLC
Try this site https://www.jossandmain.com/Family-Room-Refresh~E10018.html
I love it and you can find different styles that fit you. The different patterns are fun when mixed.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 8:21AM
leelee
Suggest going with a white or cream leather sofa then build around that with lovely beach colors including blues, aquas or corals. What not to do is buy a set of matching furniture. Love the look of the room Margaret B posted.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 10:06AM
Traditions Window Decor
Once you get a good idea of furniture, I'd move to the window coverings. Hunter Douglas Silhouettes or Nantuckets would look fantastic. You would get that beach feel yet still keep your view and have privacy when wanted.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 10:38AM
bluenan
I'd go with 2" white wood blinds.
Bedroom · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 10:41AM
debsurreal
This may not work for your sofa situation, but I love Maine Cottage furniture for bedrooms, accents and dining options.

http://www.mainecottage.com

Have fun!
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 10:45AM
debsurreal
P.S. Maine Cottage does have some great leather pieces too....
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 10:47AM
It's a mistake, IMO, to try to furnish the whole house immediately. Start with a comfy bed, a couple of lawn chairs and a crate if you have to, but I advise you to live in it first for awhile. Bring only what you absolutely need to start.

I guarantee if you and a house load of furniture you've never met arrive at the same time, you're going to end up with regrets.
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 6:01PM
laurenhoagland419
Love that area!! Check out coastal living magazine for TONS of inspiration. There are also so many great decor stores down in Pawleys Island which isn't too far from myrtle. I had family in murrells inlet.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 6:18PM
edithsmom
Agree with grover...also think a light colored leather sofa would be difficult to keep clean if a dog(s) is sprawling/drooling on it. We had a light tan leather sofa with a cuddly black dog...looked terrible in a short time.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 6:28PM
inpdx
Gorgeous floors, too. Charleston isn't far and has tons of resources.
dinatale2
I really appreciate all the suggestions and wonderful ideas! AMPLIO, the Chesterfield sofa is just perfect. What other furniture would you suggest? Maybe reclining wing backs? See, I really have no clue.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:27PM
dinatale2
How do you figure out what colors can go together? Brown couch with blue chair. Then what color for other chair(s)?
    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:57PM
If you really have no clue, and want to be furnished within a month or so, then you should hire an interior designer. Brown couch may or may not go with blue chair. Depends on the couch, the chair, and everything else in the room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 10:08PM
tmbrown95
Love this!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    March 31, 2014 at 11:10PM
laurenhoagland419
Beach Style Living Room by Providence Interior Designers & Decorators Norton-O'Brien Design
    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 6:17AM
laurenhoagland419
    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 6:18AM
laurenhoagland419
I don't know if the image I tried to attach went through above...
    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 6:18AM
laurenhoagland419
    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 6:21AM
lauren, copy and paste the whole url from the address bar--the part that starts with http://--here and the image will show up.
    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 6:55AM
Color Zen
Cute! It's funny... I help many clients struggling with beach/vacation homes. You want it to be different from your home, but that opens many questions :) My advice is, pull photos from Houzz. Rooms you love... Then have a designer help you focus-in. It's very easy for us to see "your look' before you can. A little consulting can go a long way. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 7:11AM
teebabee
Hi Dinatale, Funny I should stumble on your post. I am planning to house hunt in the Myrtle Beach area this spring. Any recommendations for a realtor or realty company? BTW, I hope you enjoy decorating your beach home, I hope to do the same in the near future :-)!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 1, 2014 at 8:43AM
Amplio
More ideas.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 1, 2014 at 10:27AM
lizzadahl777
This is one of my favorite beach homes on Houzz:
Project: Newport Beach Ocean Front · See Project

Newport Beach Ocean Front · More Info

Newport Beach Ocean Front · More Info

Newport Beach Ocean Front · More Info

I love how it all looks clean, bright, and effortless.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 1, 2014 at 10:32AM
riteshsoni79
Wooden Contemporary with some leather , take best possible colour with walls
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 1, 2014 at 11:17AM
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
Victoria Hagan is the master at this style. Buy her book Interior Portraits and emulate as much as you can.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 1, 2014 at 11:59AM
B&H Designs - California - 3D Rendering
If you are short on time and don't want to waste money, then you might want to try an interior 3D rendering.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 1, 2014 at 12:37PM
LEICHT New York / LEICHT Westchester
To make the most of your space and define it, you may want to consider this modular wall system. The cabinetry can be ordered to match the decor of the adjoining rooms in beach-inspired light wood colors. You can add drawers, shelves and even a tv screen with the wiring hidden. It can be adapted as your needs change. Here are a few photos:
STYLE: Paneel · More Info

STYLE: Paneel · More Info

NYC Showroom · More Info

NYC Showroom · More Info

Best of luck! Let us know if you have any questions.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 2, 2014 at 8:03AM
Be~Leaf Design, llc
My all time favorite furniture and accessories come from companyc.com Right now, there is a sale on some colorful rugs! Best of luck, it's a great layout!
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 2, 2014 at 8:19AM
Hi there - congratulations on your lovely new home. How exciting!

Slipcovered furniture really is going to be the best solution - leather is not right for a beach home - the salt and sand don't do well on it. Though I love a brown leather chesterfield, it really suits a different kind of home and feeling than you want. Look at the pottery barn seating that is slipcovered - you can get two different slipcovers (denim for winter, bleachable off-white duck for summer) These fabrics are very indestructible but also washable and also replaceable if they wear out a little sooner from use. You can always put a special dog bed in the room that you get a slipcover for in your colors (crypton is really amazing). Textiles and one simple color scheme (all shades of blue-green, navy, driftwood grays and white sounds serene), good art and you will have a great result.

May I suggest that you search photos on Houzz, maybe even search beach house photos, and then make an ideabook of the rooms you love the most. (bet there won't be a brown leather anything in it) Do it without thinking for a while, then go back and pick out the things that you really love, objects, common colors . . .now you have inspiration for your space. Traditional homes involve layering patterns and solids in the same color ranges - drapery panels, rugs (appropriate to the setting). . . . as Grover said, go slow. Follow some beach house blogs. To move in and make it feel like it is yours, concentrate on things that will make it personal. Paint the walls, figure out a layout so you know what the right size sofa is for how you will use it - (painters tape on the floor helps a lot - you can start with a drawing but then test dimensions that way), go to the store and lie down on any sofa you consider, put your feet up,

This lifestyle is about being outdoors, being sweaty and salty and coming home whipped and plopping down and knowing that you can throw the slipcover in the wash just like you can go soak yourself clean. Nothing too precious but everything can still be lovely.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 2, 2014 at 8:37AM
Having just reviewed your layout, may I suggest you look to Ballard's line of banquettes? That dining room is also half a pass through so it would feel bigger and live better if you took the whole outside wall and lined up a long banquette with pretty fabrics - then you can even use a table you might have now, and spend $ instead on upholstering two head armchairs - recovering the seats of any straight chairs you might have now. Depending on the window layout, you could do a more formal high back and use a ultrasuede with grid tufting - now you need a carpenter to build it / upholsterer to upholster but the room gains 2' and a sense of beach ease .. everyone loves a booth (but only half the people get to use it when you have a party).
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 2, 2014 at 8:43AM
Jeannie
dinatale2
Trust me on this, dogs claws rip leather, so choose with this in mind. Suggest also training dogs and husband that jumping on furniture is a no-no :)) One more tip. Don't get panicked into doing the whole house at once. Camp out with a couple of chairs, dining set, and bed to start with. We did this when we moved here from the U.S., and gave ourselves time to get the feel of the house before we added everything else. It's amazing how you can get by and give yourself breathing space to shop around and get it right first time. Living on the beach is fun, and makes you feel a bit different than living in town - like more casual, and dogs love running on the sand too. Just know you'll enjoy your new house and lifestyle!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 2, 2014 at 9:16AM
dinatale2
Teebabee,
I have a wonderful real estate guy for you to contact. This guy spent two days with us not just showing homes, but touring the area so we could get a good feel for where we wanted to live. He gave us extremely helpful advice about different areas and tips about living in the MB area. His name is Mike Watson. His personal email is mikewatsonsr@yahoo.com but he works for Century 21 the Harrelson Group (Apparently the Century 21s are separate entities.) Please mention that Janet and Domenic referred you. You will love him...I promise. I am not related to him in any way although this endorsement would probably make you think so!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 4:46AM
Janet that is sweet - good guys deserve mention Hope you'll share as you go along, we are all so happy for you guys with your new space.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:15AM
Eastvold Furniture
Congrats on the new beach house! We have great, durable and hand crafted credenzas an dining tables that would look great with your flooring!
    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 5:31PM
fropri
The spacious area is basically like an empty canvas. You could go with bolder colors, like reds, oranges and bright yellows, but if you want to bring the calm, refreshing peacefulness of the beach inside, maybe you could to a color scheme of light blue, black, silver, and white/ivory. These colors might bring an elegant appearance to the room. A long couch/window seat under the windows would look good, as well as a glass coffee table (circular or rectangular) with chairs/sofas set around it accented with decorative cushions. You might also want to add in a little greenery with spider plants or other taller green plants!
    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 6:02PM
Julie Cen
Muy design in Panama
    Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 6:20PM
chaefender
[houzz=] [houzz=
Kingwood Township Kitchen & Renovation · More Info
] [houzz=
Living Room · More Info
]
These colored walls are beautiful serene & relaxing! Pair with white furniture and splashes of other fun colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 3, 2014 at 6:25PM
Kohliron
Hope those can help you.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinatale2    April 3, 2014 at 6:44PM
dinatale2
Where is a good place to buy leather sofas?
    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 4:49AM
dbsgdec
i just wanna say i'm so envious. beach house = my dream house
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 5:15AM
janroze
I love everything about chaefender's photos for a transitional beach home. Who wants stuffy strictly traditional at the beach? The photo's themes, art, textures and colors are beachy and with the right spray, easy care and beautiful to boot. Thank goodness she skipped the cliche and over done dark leather look. Who wants leather that's cold in the winter and hot in warm climates and often is dark and has very little personality, except for a library.
    Bookmark   October 11, 2014 at 5:21PM
JFF Design Architects
sorry to be Johnny come lately here...this just popped up....check this project out for some ideas if not too late....our client is an interiors person and we worked great together....five projects for them and counting.....enjoy the different spaces / colors as well....Narragansett RI west coast of sound.... Chimney & Entry Details/JFF Design Architects
Check out this photo from houzz.com-
Chimney & Entry Details · More Info
    Bookmark   October 11, 2014 at 7:19PM
Need help for our bedroom! We're clueless... :/
Hi everyone! We are remodeling our bedroom and just...
ts614
Help! I'm desperate need of decorating/furniture placement advice.
Hello all! I am in need of advice on how to decorate...
Jolyn Williams
Moving into my boyfriends mid-century decorated house.
Hello, I'm moving in with my boyfriend. He loves mid-century...
Hilary Colloff
Need Help and Ideas for a for New Island Top
We are in the middle of a kitchen island makeover and...
Lori
From condo to 4bed 3 bath and clueless
I moved from a 2 bedroom condo to a 4 bed 3 bath house...
carlit0sway
pakmax
how close should island in kitchen be from other countertops...
pakmax
Horizontal or Vertical Wood tile planks?
We just saw Daltile Seasoned Wood in the showroom and...
valshome
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
toatsmcgoats
Pendant lights.. Which one you would choose?
Here are some pendant design ideas. A few different...
Vanguard development LA
Paint colors- urgent help needed!
On Monday, painters are coming to do our entire apartment....
domesticimpostor