How to give privacy to a bare toilet alcove
Rebecca Hagen
We are moving into a house that has a long, hall-like layout to the master bath. The toilet is sitting in a little walled off alcove between a large stacked washer/dryer pair and a walk-in shower. There's not enough space for a pocket door to retreat into the wall. Just trying to figure out it there's any way to give a person a little extra privacy there.
TanCalGal
I don't think so.
April 3, 2014 at 8:05pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
condomary
Maybe just the photo angle, but The edge of the toilet looks very close to the opening. If there was a door could you sit on the toilet without hitting your knees? What about a small barn door style?
April 3, 2014 at 8:16pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
Rebecca Hagen
The house is in another state and we are just starting the process of buying it so I'm not in a position to measure or even take another look right now. It was only when I studied the pictures I took when touring the house the 2d time that I realized this is pretty darn awkward. Correction - it's not the master; it's a bath shared by the two other bedrooms. All the more reason someone might be in there using the facility while someone else needed to get to the unused sink down the "corridor." LOVE the barn door idea - will explore doing if I have enough clearance on either side of the opening but kind of afraid I don't. And yeah, this one is DEFINITELY not sitting back as far as the toilet in the "Laundry" pic. Now I'm imagining knees poking out in the aisle. Lol!
April 3, 2014 at 8:25pm   
laurakdesigns
There are also ceiling mounted panels with rods so you can slide them aside that are made out of the outdoor placemat material...couldn't find a photo
April 3, 2014 at 8:49pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
condomary
What about very narrow dual doors. You can get them custom made if opening is odd size. These are fairly easy to install.
April 3, 2014 at 9:05pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
What about a barn door mounted door that when open sits across shower opening and slides across here? You may be able to mount it so that you gain a few inches. Code for an enclosure with doors is 60" min, but a barndoor that is optional could be kid sized. Bet that is about 42" deep - toilet at 30" or so off wall - most kids would fit fine ..
April 3, 2014 at 10:29pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
Talianko Design Group, LLC
If possible, shorten the wall to the right. This will leave a feeling of privacy but also give you a little elbow room and the bathroom will seem larger as a result. Lighter color on the walls will help also.
April 3, 2014 at 10:34pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
Sigrid
I've seen glass doors (obviously, you'd want frosted) that are designed for very narrow spaces and fold against the wall. Something like this might work, open against the left wall most of the time, with the door handle on the inside to pull it closed. You probably wouldn't be able to put a lock on it, but if it were kept open all the time, family would know.

Glass shower-type doors are very thin, so they don't take up a lot of space.

April 3, 2014 at 10:38pm     
momof5x
The picture is not too clear but there are several options depending-you can have the frosted glass door option, folding door option- some are quite slim enough, curtains but this would not give full privacy but would screen off the toilet from view. If possible perhaps you can close off the shower and toilet-or shower and sink- together making it one area.
April 3, 2014 at 11:04pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
condomary
@librasesign, Rebecca said this is the master bathroom.
April 4, 2014 at 11:33am      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
condomary
@Sigrid, I like your idea
April 4, 2014 at 11:37am      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
Rebecca Hagen
Wow, guys! You rock! I feel like I have several options to explore now. The narrow folding frosted glass shower doors are particularly intriguing. Currently scheduling a home inspection and will going back up there for that soon. Will take better photos and measure and report back!
April 4, 2014 at 11:43am   
Addison Design
An attractive curtain that could be pulled to the side when not in use could be an option if all other door options are unworkable. As a bonus it would be a great way to add color and pattern in the bathroom.
April 4, 2014 at 11:56am      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
Rebecca Hagen
You know, Addison Design, I was just thinking about that as a quick solution for sure. Honestly, the curtain would stay pulled back 95% of the time but would serve as at least a visual barrier during situations when more guests are in the house. And a lighter paint color, as Talianko Design pointed out, is definitely in order.
April 4, 2014 at 12:03pm     
Rebecca Hagen
Maybe something the size of one of these two panels split vertically-->
April 4, 2014 at 12:04pm   
Rebecca Hagen
Contemporary Laundry Room by Chicago Interior Designers & Decorators Natalie Sheedy Interiors, Inc.
April 4, 2014 at 12:07pm   
Rebecca Hagen
Darn it - can't get the pic to attach. I'm new to Houzz...let me see...
April 4, 2014 at 12:08pm   
hanna1984
The first picture is similiar to what we have in our master and the second is what I would love to have in our master! The saloon doors can be made to fit your narrow dooway and the glass door is narrow, which you need and more private. Hope one of these helps. :) Dream Home Bath family cottage addition
April 4, 2014 at 12:08pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
Addison Design
I was actually thinking of one curtain draped to one side with a tie-back but, two panels, one on either side would work also. If this would seldom be used, it would probably be the least expensive too.
April 4, 2014 at 12:10pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
Rebecca Hagen
OK - curtain with grommets - I was suggesting something like this, though it would have to be done with narrower panels.
April 4, 2014 at 12:12pm     
Rebecca Hagen
Ooh, good ones, hanna1984!
April 4, 2014 at 12:14pm     
hanna1984
Thank you, Rebecca. If you want to do a grommet curtain, get one and cut it in half and hem the edge that you cut. I didn't look for a curtain that you can buy as a single panel, but I know I've seen some on Amazon and Overstock. :)
April 4, 2014 at 3:39pm   
Double doors are a pain - good for saloons because people couldn't enter shooting but they whip around and smack you. Shortening one of the sides and placing an end wall may be the best privacy effort - then a glass door on the side wall could work.
April 4, 2014 at 6:07pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
TanCalGal
Is there no door in the area of the toilet, shower and washer-dryer? Have the person using the toilet or shower close and lock that door if they need privacy.
April 4, 2014 at 6:32pm      Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
hanna1984
Actually saloon type doors work very well. No one pushes on the doors hard enough to make them fly open to hit unsuspecting passers-by, lol. I think try a grommet curstain would be your cheapest and easiest choice if you can buy one panel and cut it in half. If you can hem the edge yourself or have a friend do it for you, you have it made! If you are a woodworking DIYer the saloon door would be the next choice in terms of expense. The glass door would be the most expensive but also the most attractive. :)
April 5, 2014 at 7:40am        Thanked by Rebecca Hagen
How much privacy these shade give?
Would like put these in my house, some windows face...
Toilet alcove shelves?
How wide is the alcove and who makes the shelves?
Need privacy screen for toilet
These are more pictures of a Master Bedroom/Bath in...
Need privacy screen for toilet
MASTER BEDROOM CONFUSION...HELP!!
My master bedroom is painted Dulux Beige Royale and...
Challenge of the day!
Teeny tiny dining room needs major help. navy son says...
Need help with front yard landscaping.
Our 1960's ranch style house needs help! We've improved...
Need help for set up my whole house, its new house, no experiance
Need help on window curtains and setup for living,...
Need help deciding on chandelier for my kitchen island.
I will be renovating my kitchen and I'd like to put...