Ideas for decorating mantel

remodel57April 1, 2014
I only put the clock there for the photo. The clock is 24 inches wide. I need help filling this in and making it warm. Do I go with a mirror, a picture?? Help!
Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
Is your mantel wide enough to place things on it? I am sure you realize the slope in the wall is problematic. I don't know if you want a mirror, the reflective brass and the glass on the firebox may be enough. I would choose something wider than it is tall. I think the place to really add decor is on the mantel and maybe something on the hearth to the left of the firebox.
    Bookmark   Thanked by remodel57    April 1, 2014 at 8:27AM
Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
Maybe some of those pieces sitting on the ledge could be moved to the mantel to bring more focus to that area. I don't think you really need anything on that ledge.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by remodel57    April 1, 2014 at 8:29AM
patriciarhall
Without seeing the rest of the room's décor, I suggest removing the topiary from the ledge, leaving the two lanterns. Add a single large painting over the fireplace - with the bottom edge 6-8 inches above the mantel and 3/4's as wide as the mantel beam. Would help to know what colors and style of furnishings are in the room.
    Bookmark   Thanked by remodel57    April 1, 2014 at 8:37AM
patriciarhall
from your idea book:
Mike G Project · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by remodel57    April 1, 2014 at 8:39AM
remodel57
Thanks for your ideas. The mantel is approx. 9 inches deep. The accent color in our living room is blue. Our house is a blend of traditional, rustic (wood ceiling) but yet has some modern lines. This fireplace divides our living room and dining room. The dining room side has an oversized clock centered over the fireplace with sconce/candles on each side of the clock
    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 8:41PM
patriciarhall
are there any paintings or wall art already in the living room?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by remodel57    April 2, 2014 at 5:32AM
designfree
Consider using two floating shelves. They have wood or acrylic ones using a plaster bit in the drill to hang. These would look like sconces with your clock.

Also, you may want to continue the brick design so the angle is not as low to accommodate hanging the TV. Would not be that expensive as it will not interfere with the masonry of the FP and you will be able to add electrical plug to the new bricked area.

Pretty design.
    Bookmark   Thanked by remodel57    April 2, 2014 at 6:13AM
remodel57
Unfortunately hanging a tv above the mantel will not work. There are obstacles which prevent us from running electricity to the mantel
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:15AM
HI -- I love the brick , it's a nice color and texture . I would not put things on the mantel itself . Don't hang anything in the middle over the firebox . Hang a mirror of a tall slender painting over on the left at the tall part . Don't place more than one décor item on the right shelf . Just one large item ,like an Asian style lidded jar or a large vase or sculpture . I use garden sculptures sometimes for random shelves like that . They don't show the dust and they give great impact . Paint the small back wall with a black or a deep red or even a decorative paper , something that goes with the sculpture or décor item . Maybe even something that has a bit of sparkle or sheen to it. I would just use black here but your choice . Also find a new fire screen or heat paint that one black. For décor items .... Restorationhardware.com .... or ... Designtoscana.com ...... Just keep it simple and classy.
    Bookmark   Thanked by remodel57    April 2, 2014 at 7:44AM
remodel57
Thank you for the ideas
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:24AM
Ideas for mantel decorating, 100" long and only 22" to ceiling.
I'm always looking for ideas to decorate my mantel....
grmadb52
Need help decorating my mantel!!
I am struggling with how to decorate my mantel due...
abockhorst
Fireplace mantel holiday decor
I'm not really happy with this. What's wrong here?...
smorton111
Decorating ideas for mantels and television surrounds
I have a large television (64 inch) that has a cabinet...
Debbie Rathert
sharon
can you give me ideas for decorations for mantel
Sharareh Hashemi
How to make my bedroom pop after what I did?
So this is my version of making camo look good...i...
Tori
Saarinen Marble Arabescatto Table - Glossy (shiny) or Satin finish?
I am looking to get a Saarinen Marble Table. The Arabescatto...
alexbc
Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring - Paradigm?
I'm looking at Paradigm luxury vinyl planks for my...
Jeremy P
kitchen layout help
Bought a 1950s cottage and have to gut the kitchen....
rcrowelsu
to argon or not to argon the windows
im working on a replacing bout 30 windows on a 4 plex....
coolui