How would you freshen up this kitchen?

alexlang1April 2, 2014
Hello! We're about to buy and have budgeted for limited renovations. This kitchen is quite modern already, but I am dreaming of a white, simple, scandinavian style. What changes do you think I could make to lighten it up a bit??
The kitchen in the photos looks great as is.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:41AM
vas711
Have you thought about maybe white cabinets with either a Pietra Cordoza or or a soapstone countertop? Or if it's not in the bod get maybe a Calacatta or white Quartz? I think you would achieve a very clean look with those choices . lookwitaany of us choices

cleaanthosethosechoicestthosetchoiceschoicesuchoices
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:05AM
vas711
Sorry about the ending!!! iPad glitch!!!
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:06AM
Patricia Colwell
I would just paint out all the brown to match the cabinet doors and see if that will do the trick, I think it will make a huge difference.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:15AM
Torch Lake Glass
The backsplash is too dark. If you want to get the biggest bang for your buck, replace it with something whiter and brighter. Light colored glass or ceramic tiles would highlight your stainless hood and keep the far end of the galley style kitchen bright.

You stated that you are budgeting for limited renovations and that is the one single renovation that would eliminate the "dark" problem. If you also replace the countertops, I would go light with them as well but not the same material as the backsplash to keep the cave look to a minimum.
Whatever you choose for backsplash and/or countertops, keep it very simple and light.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:27AM
Anthony Perez
I think that one possibility with a low budget) may be to replace the cabinet fronts with white ones with Lacquer or satin lacquer or acrylic finish and replace the counter top for a light color quartz, and the back splash with a light color /large format porcelain tile (12x24)
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:40AM
iwantit
I think your kitchen is modern enough. It looks great............except for the floors. That's what I would renovate. I'd leave the cabinets alone.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:44AM
flopsycat1
I'd paint the upper wood trim the same color as the cabinet doors. Display a few pieces of modern pottery in the little corner shelves. Perhaps a couple of colorful items on the counter. Not cluttered. Simple, inexpensive changes which could brighten and modernize the kitchen. Don't tear out the countertop or backslash until you've lived with it a while.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:55AM
flopsycat1
....and new more modern light fixture.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:03AM
rocketjcat
Agree with @iwantit, it's the floor more than anything else which is definitely not Scandinavian. Looks more southwestern. I don't think you are going to get the look you want with the current floor. Fix that first, then if you're still not 'quite there' paint out the brown trim on the cabinets starting with the back of the peninsula.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:11AM
sacapuntaslapioz
it is the backsplash. it actually a striking kitchen but the backsplash is too much. your kitchen was made for a classic simple subway tile in cream. go up at the sides of the hood
Park Slope Brownstone · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   December 28, 2014 at 2:13PM
apple_pie_order
old post.
    Bookmark   December 28, 2014 at 2:33PM
B.C.B. inc
This is a very simple kitchen that shows very well. That being said you just need some "pop". So think about changing the back splash. Try finding some light glass tiles with some complementary accent tiles of a bright color mixed in. Then add some LED under counter lighting. Also add the LED lighting over the top cabinets. Just one additional thought if your budget allows retile the floor with a wood looking tile with a color that comes close the cabinet color to tie the room together. Good luck with the project.
    Bookmark   December 28, 2014 at 3:25PM
B.C.B. inc
Yep old post but might still help someone's idea process.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 28, 2014 at 3:28PM
Need to freshen/lighten & update
This family room is a northern room with lots of wood...
mmmjs5
Kitchen Freshen Up
Got new windows! Go team! Now, it's time to spruce...
smartin1
need to freshen up kitchen and dining room
Golden oak cabinets and dining room furniture. Would...
jmmbc
How to freshen up a kitchen for less?
Hi awesome & creative people! I am always in a...
oleseast
freshen up my kitchen
oak cabinets--stone color flooring--stainless appliances...
elaineee
Wooden Paneling
I'm looking to remodel my living room but one wall...
jesscpm02
help on hat color of duvet cover
Hi, the color of my wall is BOTTLE GREEN, my curtains...
mimi2255
Best way to mount tv on stone fireplace...
In the process of building a home...fireplace will...
M J
Please help with my kitchen, I'm in over my head...
I have so many things going on here. First we sharted...
rterbeek
Need help with my bathroom
White stool, white cabinet, white tub
charjean1947