My Big Orange Sofa!
hypnokeka
I just bought this amazing ORANGE sofa! I had been looking for something to go with my new rug and while this sofa is not exactly what I was looking for, I really fell in love with it when I saw it. The sofa CUSHIONS however...ugly! I am thinking they should be the same orange color as the sofa, but not leather. Does anyone have any thought on recovering them? Thanks so much! Smiles!! :D
sondramartina
It look good in last picture combined with colorful pillows but if you want to change it how about gray? Is that your rug?

April 2, 2014 at 6:01pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hanna1984
If the sofa is leather I think the cushions would look best in leather - matching it will be your problem. Otherwise I think you need to visit an upholstery shop and get samples of fabric that best suit the color and your desired look for your sofa. :)
hypnokeka
Yes, thats the colorful rug. I like your idea of gray because I think the colors look good together, however there is no gray in the room. I think it will be very difficult to match the leather...agreed! But maybe ultra suede??
April 2, 2014 at 6:20pm     
sondramartina
I was not sure if that was your rug. Then no gray.

April 2, 2014 at 6:24pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
belletriste
I love that couch! Congratulations on a great find! Pick up the dark brown in the rug and lamps, and put that on the cushions. It will ground the sofa, which is ready to zoom off into the space age, and blend with your patterns without being too obtrusive. Again, grays on that great find. You will receive endless compliments on that sofa!
April 2, 2014 at 6:33pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hanna1984
I like the ultra suede idea. I think you could stray a little from the exact color of the sofa because ultra suede "changes" color depending on which way it has been brushed - like the nap on velvet or corduroy. You just need the right match! :)
hypnokeka
belletriste...thank you! I had not thought about bringing brown into a design fabric for the sofa, so thank you for that great suggestion. I will definitely be doing some research. :D hanna1984...You are pointing out something I really do need to consider, thank you. Do I really want the entire sofa to be only orange? Hmm...that really might be a bit much.
sondramartina...thank you for the beautiful photos of orange living space. I'm always looking for more inspiration!
Smiles!
April 2, 2014 at 9:54pm     
babysitters
I have an amazing upholstery guy! I wanted contrasting piping. Yours could be piping from an orange leather/vinyl in the same family of orange. This ties in the existing leather without having to be dead on with the color.
The cushions could be ultrasuede on 1 side for winter. The alternate side a fun print for summer.
I love how my couch turned out, it was worth the extra touches.
April 2, 2014 at 10:36pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
What a great idea babysitters!! I like all of your ideas! I hope I can find a good upholstery person too, so far no luck but I will keep trying. Thanks.
April 3, 2014 at 2:47am     
sondramartina
I would stick to orange,or dark brown . It is tricky.
April 3, 2014 at 4:22am        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
sondramartina you are so good at finding great pictures that are helping me tremendously...MUCH appreciated. Hmm, now that I see this photo, perhaps brown leather would be a good choice. It would certainly ground the sofa as belletriste had mentionedt, it would definitely blend with the room, i would not have to match the leather perfectly...The only decision would be leather or fabric! Hmm...I'm feeling closer to a decision!!
April 3, 2014 at 9:39am     
sondramartina
Its hard to tell what colours are in your rug.This morning when I posted I saw brown on my I pad. But on my comp. I see no brown just purple and dark blue/green.
April 3, 2014 at 9:56am        Thanked by hypnokeka
Susan Mills Design
Hi, love your choices, the room is bright and happy and I'm sure being in it is even more so. The sofa looks great with all your colourful cushions, but that doesn't leave much room to sit. I would be inclined to find the right mix of patterns and colours in the fabric you choose and then leave off the cushions. There's so many choices out there. I've reupholstered leather chairs and sofas before with fabric as the cushion covers and they look great as long as they are chosen carefully. Order a yard and place it on the sofa and see how you feel about it if your hesitant. Good luck and keep us posted!
April 3, 2014 at 10:18am        Thanked by hypnokeka
sondramartina
One more for brave colour people!
April 3, 2014 at 10:43am        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
sondramartina maybe these pictures will show the colors of the rug better. The colorful rug is now in my den and the orange/yellow/red one is under my dining table, though I am now thinking of switching them! Maybe the sofa will look better under the orange/yellow/red rug. Any thoughts you have would be so helpful!
April 3, 2014 at 10:53am   
hypnokeka
Thanks Susan Mills Design, this is definitely a first for me, I've been decorating with burgundy, rust, tan and brown for years because I've been dragging family antiques around with me and it was just easier to stay in those color tones. NOW, yes, I want those bright and happy colors! :D
April 3, 2014 at 10:59am     
hypnokeka
Hey everybody I just got a price of $600 to recover the cushions the exact leather color and $500 for fabric. Is this about right??
April 3, 2014 at 2:09pm     
hanna1984
That doesn't sound too bad to me. See if you can get at least another quote. Be sure and ask to see some of the upholsterer's work that is finished and some that is in the process of being done.
April 3, 2014 at 2:22pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
Addison Design
That is a super cool sofa, great find! I would recommend a contemporary patterned fabric that incorporates several of the colors from your rug.
April 3, 2014 at 2:32pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
sondramartina
If you go for patterned cushions be careful not to end up like this,at least I don't like it
April 3, 2014 at 3:17pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
I just had a revelation! I do not want it to look like this picture! And I agree with sondramartina, the pics she posted are not my style either. Soooooo it's looking more and more like leather will be a good choice for me.
April 3, 2014 at 4:15pm   
sondramartina
I agree. Good luck and don't forget to post after photos :)
April 3, 2014 at 4:31pm   
Addition Building & Design, Inc.
Love those arm rests and that they double as shelves! Very intriguing couch.
April 3, 2014 at 7:42pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
Yes, Addition Building & Design, Inc., those arm rests are great! Huge! It's a fun piece of furniture and I look forward to playing with it.
I am still thinking leather would be best for the sofa cushions, but I will sleep on it tonight and see how I feel in the morning.
I appreciate everyone for your fantastic ideas, thank you so much.
I will definitely post "after" pictures! Smiles! :D
April 4, 2014 at 12:07am   
hypnokeka
So today I went fabric shopping. Now I am more confused!!! I found another reupholster who gave me a price of $1300 to recover the 4 cushions in leather!!! WHAT??? That's over twice the price of the first quote which makes me wonder if the first quote included both leather and labor. So I found a fantastic fabric store with a very helpful designer who spent some time with me trying to help me figure this out. He sent me home with some samples (below). He seemed to think if I went with orange leather I might achieve a "near miss" as opposed to an exact match. I have to agree...it wold definitely bother me. I believe I have to stay with the "era" of the sofa when I recover the seats, and maybe if I could find some material like the original cushions but in a more orange color, that might work. I saw this on Houzz...

Midcentury Living Room by Dallas Media & Bloggers Sarah Greenman

...and the sofa is the closest thing I can find that is similar to mine. I would never have put all those colors together but I actually really do like the way it all comes together.
I am now thinking my rugs may be way too much bright color for the space. It seems like a lot of orange, but so far it hasn't bothered me. As long as I can tone it down I think it will work. I know, I know...I am second guessing myself! Sigh...help!
April 4, 2014 at 3:41pm     
hanna1984
Find out what the designer would charge to give you more specific advice and negotiate with an upholsterer he trusts. :) I would trust his advice on the "near miss".
April 4, 2014 at 3:53pm   
sondramartina
I agree that would be hard to match your existing orange leather.
Can you post that link you found on Houzz ,I can't find it?
April 4, 2014 at 3:53pm   
sondramartina
How about solid colour ,gray like in first photo I posted and then you change the rug
April 4, 2014 at 3:56pm   
hanna1984
I first went to the multi-color circular fabric on the right edge of the right picture. But, that fabric might be too much with your rug. But then I like the stripe next to the circle fabric, but again, maybe too much. Is that a dark teal at the top of the left picture? Maybe a solid with some wow! :)
April 4, 2014 at 4:00pm   
sondramartina
All those patterned samples are really nice but your sofa willl still look like the this one
April 4, 2014 at 4:04pm     
sondramartina
April 4, 2014 at 4:07pm   
hypnokeka
sondramartina ... I LOVE LOVE LOVE pink but my bedroom is pink and cream and I would feel like I was living in a dollhouse if the den was pink too. That being said...the pink sofa picture you sent makes me say "Just call me Barbie!!" I could love this sofa for a looooong time. But maybe a bold stripe on my orange sofa?? Yea yea I know...it would still look like the pic you sent in gray. ;)
April 4, 2014 at 4:14pm     
sondramartina
I can't stop it,sorry. More ideas.
April 4, 2014 at 4:18pm     
sondramartina
More
April 4, 2014 at 4:19pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
sondramartina, here is the photo you asked for...
April 4, 2014 at 4:22pm   
hypnokeka
hanna1984, yes...that teal is beautiful, its some sort of shiny thick vinyl, its beautiful.
April 4, 2014 at 4:24pm     
sondramartina
Can someone find Groveraxle ,maybe she could help with her photoshop?
April 4, 2014 at 4:25pm   
hypnokeka
The designer I talked to today asked me if I was comfortable painting my antique dining set and I said YES. I know many people do not approve of painting antiques and I cringe at the thought, but the truth is that this dining room set has been in my life since I was born...YES! It was my grandmother's, the she loaned it to my great aunt, then my Mom had it and now it's been with me for over 20 years. It has no seats and just sits there like a big rock in my dining room. Don't get me wrong...it's beautiful...but useless. Perhaps if I painted it cream and injected some life into it, I would be happy with it. The cream would certainly be more modern and blend with my taste much better. OR MAYBE I'M JUST TRYING TO PUT SQUARE PEGS IN ROUND HOLES???
April 4, 2014 at 4:30pm   
cmw1700
I don't have a picture to support it, but what about a deep cranberry red fabric? Maybe in a slightly nubby texture or something close to the texture of the current cushion fabric. I think I see a deep cranberry in your beautiful rug.
April 4, 2014 at 4:38pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
I didn't find this dilemma till past my bedtime, so I will do more colors tomorrow. Tonight I was inspired by aubergine:
April 4, 2014 at 10:07pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
I'm so glad you're here groveraxle!! I look forward to more inspiration from you, sondramartina evoked your name and here you are! At least now I'm able to see exactly what my sofa can potentially look like. Thanks so much!
April 4, 2014 at 10:14pm   
hypnokeka
Cmw1700, yes the red did cross my mind. It's definitely an option worth looking into.
April 4, 2014 at 10:15pm   
soberg
I like the idea of staying orange for the cushions, but with a material with a distinctly different texture.....Ultrasuede, tweedy linen/cotton blend, velour....something with presence and chutzpah texturally, but able to blend in chromatically. Great sofa BTW, have never seen anything like it!
April 5, 2014 at 4:33am        Thanked by hypnokeka
sondramartina
With orange cushions
So far for me this is a winner
Will se once Grover adds more combos.
April 5, 2014 at 4:47am        Thanked by hypnokeka
sondramartina
With piping
April 5, 2014 at 4:48am   
.
April 5, 2014 at 5:41am        Thanked by hypnokeka
.
April 5, 2014 at 5:42am        Thanked by hypnokeka
.
April 5, 2014 at 5:43am        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
I just got another quote from an upholster and he thinks it might look good to just cover the seat cushions with leather, then cover the seat backs with fabric. I kind of like this idea! What do you guys and girls out there think? Thank! :D
April 5, 2014 at 11:02am   
sondramartina
Why would you do that? I
Are leather parts in bad shape?
April 5, 2014 at 11:05am        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
Right now there are 4 cushions. Two seat back cushions and two seat bottom cushions. All 4 are made of that rusty burlap color that I don't like. I would not be changing anything on the sofa itself because it is in excellent condition. I would just be reupholstering the seat bottom cushions in matching orange leather, and also reupholstering the seat back cushions in a fabric. Kind of like this (it's the quickest thing I could find!!)
April 5, 2014 at 11:19am     
hypnokeka
sondramartina, aLso, kind of like the last orange sofa photo you sent, the one you said was a winner. I would probably have the fabric be orange as well, but am still trying to picture the sofa this way.
April 5, 2014 at 11:22am   
sondramartina
Like this? What did she say about matching the existing leather colour?
April 5, 2014 at 11:30am        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
Yes exactly!! You're great at this! The upholsterer specializes in color matching. They do a lot of leather repair and I have seen the pictures online. The photo you sent makes me think I could do a shade lighter for the sofa back cushions, or maybe orange with little flecks of cream kind of like this material thats on the seat bottom of this attached photo...I like the way the little flecks of white or cream brighter the gray color, and help it blend with the furniture.
April 5, 2014 at 11:40am     
hypnokeka
I edited the above text so many times you may have to refresh to understand what I was trying to say! (I'm typing too fast!)
April 5, 2014 at 11:44am   
sondramartina
I guess once you decide about fabric you can put it over the sofa and decide if you want all cushions fabric or mixed with leather.
April 5, 2014 at 12:29pm   
hanna1984
I really like the olive sofa with the back cushions in a different fabric than the seat cushions. I like the difference in texture of the back cushions too. The trick will be in finding the right colors, patterns and styles in keeping with the period of the sofa. I like painting your dining set too. I went through the same thing with my grandmother's dining set. It wasn't worth any money. I decided Granny would have said she couldn't believe we had hung on to it so long! :)
April 5, 2014 at 12:34pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
sondramartina, you are right. The price from these new upholstery people came in similar to the first quote I got which of course means the price will be even better if I only recover the seat bottoms. This seems like the best option so far for overall satisfaction--look and price.
April 5, 2014 at 12:39pm   
hypnokeka
hanna1984, my Mom said something similar about my antique dining set. She said "Get rid of it!" :) But I didn't. I ended up selling Mom's mid century set and now I sort of wish I would have kept it since thats what I like now. Hindsight. I dream of having a beautiful ultra modern dining set that I actually use. Soon I think I will be able to make the change, but not yet. It's so hard to let go of some things!
April 5, 2014 at 12:49pm     
hanna1984
Oh, I understand hypnokeke. Hubby and I shed more than a few tears when we give away things we had accumulated from both of our families over our 30+ years of marraige, but we decide it was time for us to start new when we bought our new house this past June. :)
April 5, 2014 at 1:08pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
Lynne Forrestal
RE your dining set, have you thought of painting and getting new seats for the chairs and leaving the table? You could do your bright colors for the chairs, maybe two different colors, two chairs one color, 2 another with the same fabric seats to tie them together. It seams that would fit your style too. RE: the orange sofa, I'd keep all the cushions backs and seats in coordinating fabric with some orange in the patern but mostly another color( s), You have lots of color and patterns all ready, and this way you could change things up really easily, and the cost for fabric will be much less than the leather I would imagine. Just my 2 cents worth, your project is so very interesting!! :)
April 5, 2014 at 1:14pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
babysitters
Last call. Why not double duty, and control costs? If you are confident that you can match the orange leather use it on the band and piping of the seat cushions. Any of the other options for the top of the seat panel and back cushions. I am leaning toward ultrasuede or chenile in a solid (orange, blue, or red were my faves). Then add a large rectangular button, in the orange leather, to each of the back cushions.
I am new to the whole blog scene. I have tried to load a picture of my couch. It is not for everyone but I love it!
If you want to experiment, standard pillow shams should fit the back cushions. It is a much less permanent way to change things up.
April 6, 2014 at 1:50am        Thanked by hypnokeka
hanna1984
If you think the cushions are original to the sofa, I would stay with this style in order to retain the authenticity of this period piece. )
April 6, 2014 at 12:49pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
jen046
Take care not to make it look too 80s. I would not match the leather. How about a nubbly, wool-type taupe with some flecks of orange? Fun couch!
April 6, 2014 at 1:00pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
jen046
Here's one that incorporates orange and green. https://www.knoll.com/knolltextileproductdetail/Atelier
April 6, 2014 at 1:03pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
jen046
April 6, 2014 at 1:12pm   
April 6, 2014 at 1:14pm   
jen046
Probably too much with the rug, but so cool! http://www.maharam.com/products/ditto/colors/006-aztec
April 6, 2014 at 1:18pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
April 6, 2014 at 1:19pm   
jen046
April 6, 2014 at 1:20pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
hanna1984...yes. I agree. I actually asked one of the upholstery people about the option of piping and they refused to do it to keep the integrity of the piece!! However I do think babysitters sofa is amazing! So unique and colorful...I love when people are not afraid to express who they are!
April 6, 2014 at 1:25pm   
April 6, 2014 at 1:26pm   
hypnokeka
jen046...PLEASE KEEP 'EM COMING!!! I actually really really REALLY like the first one you sent, the confetti one. It's very close to what I had been thinking about only reversed. I thought I should do orange with some flecks of cream, but this one you sent is beautiful. What about the one called FIREWORKS, it also could work and has more orange. Thanks so much for posting!
April 6, 2014 at 1:31pm   
hypnokeka
So I've switched rugs! I wanted to see what it would look like so here are the photos. I kind of like the orange rug with the orange sofa. It keeps the orange all in one area instead of spreading it out across two rooms, and the dark table seems to work well with the darker colors in the colorful rug. If I keep it this way, then painting the dining set cream may not be a good look. Let me know your thoughts please! Thanks! :)
April 6, 2014 at 1:48pm     
sondramartina
There is lots of orange now but i stil like it better than the other rug
Or not? Really not sure
April 6, 2014 at 2:20pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hanna1984
I like Jen's Atelier best I think. I didn't check to see what samples cost, but go through the other colors and fabrics and give Jen's choices a whirl! Maybe your designer can get fabric for you at trade cost :)
April 6, 2014 at 2:32pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
sondramartina
Me too. Atelier is the best in my oppinion
April 6, 2014 at 2:35pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
Yes atelier is definitely the best. Yay Jen! And I think it will help blend the cream colored chair too. Things are coming together! All of that orange doesn't bother me, in fact, I'm more comfortable with it. I tend to think more in terms of shades of a color, and I have a hard time combining more than 2 colors. The colorful rug purchase was really a stretch for me and forced me to go in a new direction. Worst case scenario I have a living room to decorate and it can go in there. I've been looking at orange rooms all day and have found some really bright and fantastic ones so I was encouraged to put the orange rug under the orange sofa. When I get home I will post photos. :)
April 6, 2014 at 3:08pm     
Atelier fireworks:
April 6, 2014 at 4:29pm     
hypnokeka
Here are the photos of the rooms I liked that had a lot of orange...thanks!
April 6, 2014 at 5:17pm   
Lynne Forrestal
With the orange rug, Which I do like best, you could go with patterned cushions if you wanted, but like that first one very well. then go crazy with pattern in pillows :)
April 6, 2014 at 6:47pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
jen046
You can order samples from both Knoll and Maharam for free...five per day. One of them will let "mere mortals" order the fabric directly. The other one you have to go through a professional. I forget which one was which as I have ordered from both, but one I had to have my upholsterer order. The thing I like is you can see the price, so you know what mark up the upholsterer is taking. My guy told me that some upholsterers mark up fabric over 100%! These companies have been around forever and the quality is excellent.
April 6, 2014 at 9:19pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
jen046
Definitely order samples of Atlier in both Confetti and Fireworks. One thing I learned in my recent forays into reupholstering furniture, you need to see the fabric on the piece, in the room where it is going, and in the room's lighting. I can't tell you how many times hubs and I received the samples at the office, looked at one and said "this is it" and then got home and wondered what we were thinking.
April 6, 2014 at 9:26pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
jen046
One last thing...I LOVE. The orange rug! Change out the sofa cushions to something more interesting (like the Atlier), then add some of your cool pillows and you have it.
April 6, 2014 at 9:28pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
jen046...YES! The orange rug wins! The more I look at it the more I love it too!! I am still thinking about possibly covering the sofa seat bottom cushions in leather, and using either Confetti or Fireworks for the sofa cushion backs (you know, the cushions you lean back on) kind of like the photo below. I feel that the sofa would look better if the bottom seat cushions were leather like the sofa itself. Maybe if I say groveraxle, groveraxle, groveraxle 3 times...she will photoshop it for me!?! Time to order my samples.
April 6, 2014 at 10:39pm     
Lynne Forrestal
This is the fireworks fabric, the first fabric listed on thread, but alternate color
April 7, 2014 at 3:59am        Thanked by hypnokeka
sondramartina
Confetti
April 7, 2014 at 4:01am        Thanked by hypnokeka
hanna1984
Confetti and fireworks are my favorites out of that line, too. :)
April 7, 2014 at 7:52am        Thanked by hypnokeka
Just add pillows to it in colors from rug.
April 7, 2014 at 8:44am        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
I like both-Fireworks and Confetti. The samples will help! travisinteriors...do you mean just leave the sofa cushions the way they are?
April 7, 2014 at 9:04am   
sondramartina
Fireworks and orange rug
April 7, 2014 at 9:04am     
hypnokeka
yes I think so too sondramartina...
April 7, 2014 at 9:05am     
Lynne Forrestal
Sofa with orange rug next to fireworks... hoping these photos have good color quality for you... I can't do the photo shop but thought maybe seeing side by side would help. I like this combination best.
April 7, 2014 at 5:29pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
Thank you Lynne! Yes Fireworks really looks good with the sofa. I will be ordering the sample!!
April 7, 2014 at 11:11pm     
karelina
It's very long, so I gave up reading everything. I'd go for very dark burnt orange, which I haven't seen anyone suggest. Good luck!
April 8, 2014 at 8:37pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
Thanks karelina!
April 8, 2014 at 9:02pm   
karelina
Don't forget posting pix when you're done!
April 8, 2014 at 9:17pm        Thanked by hypnokeka
hypnokeka
Absolutely karelina!
April 8, 2014 at 10:15pm   
jen046
Good advice regarding fibre make up of upholstery. http://houzz.com/discussions/370196
April 15, 2014 at 8:25am        Thanked by hypnokeka
sondramartina
Hypnokeka any updates?
April 30, 2014 at 7:36pm   
where to end backsplash?
Stove and window are on the same wall. I have 9" on...
Bathroom Design Help
Hi guys. We're renovating an old house and are having...
Bathroom Design Help
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...