How can I make my ugly house prettier?
Laura Bickett Kippes
I don't want to spend much, but my ugly house needs some help.
Paint would be one of more economical options for updates.
April 3, 2014 at 6:32pm   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I agree with Dytecture that fresh paint for the doors windows and trim would be a good start. Because you have a tight budget, you can slowly start to landscape your yard with new trees and flower beds.......This will make a big difference.
April 3, 2014 at 6:39pm   
swamp
Your house isn't ugly, it just needs some oomph. Is it possible to paint everything that is white? Either a black with green tones or black with brown tones would compliment the brick rather than fight it the way the white does.
Adding large terra cotta planters on either side of door to left of garage door would anchor that area. Enlarge walkway to front door as well with stone path and wide flower beds.
I had a photo to show what I mean but need to look for it.
April 3, 2014 at 6:40pm   
swamp
This shows how using dark color instead of white makes house look elegant and dramatic.
April 3, 2014 at 8:07pm   
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
In my view, the problem is competing front doors, and the one that is prominent and wider lacks the porch that indicates the original front door. I would design a pergola to unify the human centred area (as opposed to the car centred area), likely creating a space for a terrace as part of the design. This can mask the left door and invite entrance through the wider front door--or vice versa as the interior layout demands.
April 3, 2014 at 9:13pm     
Laura Bickett Kippes
I cant believe you put that photo up with the charcoal grey. I have been loving that but didnt think I could pull it off so I went to a blue.
April 4, 2014 at 4:53am   
Laura Bickett Kippes
I didnt think I could paint the siding on the dormers or the composit on the porch rails so I thought I would have to keep some if the white. Is it possible to paint that stuff or am I stuck with the white?
April 4, 2014 at 4:55am   
Laura Bickett Kippes
I will need to focus on the front door to the left as the one by the garage is my sister's private entrance. I live the idea of widening the walkway. I was going to try to trim out the door but the porch light is going to keep me from going as wide as I would like.
April 4, 2014 at 5:00am   
Laura Bickett Kippes
I was thinking to put the awning (in pic above) over the door beside the garage. What do you think? Could I do the same for the dormers? I really do not like the dormers. Or could I put rail between them?
April 4, 2014 at 5:07am   
How can I make my bookshelves prettier? What's missing
How can I make these bookshelves prettier? What are...
How do I make my staircase prettier?
Since we moved into our home 7 months ago, I've been...
I can't decide what color to paint my ugly house!!
Please help with ideas on color to paint an all redwood...
Bedrooms in a Grade II listed house
Could I please have comments/advice of placing the...
Country Chic
How do you think about this country chic style bedroom? It...
Lordy Lordy, Margo's -
Actually, I don't know how old Margo is, but I do know...
Bedrom Update
Here is the original thread.. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/535749/Bedroom-Help. I...