Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Modern or Traditional Backyard?

Emily H
10 years ago
Which of these backyards calls out to you? Would you rather have the modern space or the traditional space?

VOTE and tell us about it!
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (73)

• Fatima-zahra Matrougui Ousi Benomar
    10 years ago
    A mix...modern architecture with some traditional furnitures.
  • janadiane
    10 years ago
    I think the style garden one has depends on the home and whatever makes you happiest. . I have a wood and rock home amongst 100 year pines and cedars so I have a woodland garden with a dry creek in the front. In the back It is eclectic with hostas, camelias, roses. cherry trees, false bamboo and dogwood trees. I have a sunnier side yard with various herbs, flowers, strawberries, a climbing grapevine, and whatever else I decide to have for the current year. This year I planted Iceland poppies, salvia, butterfly bush and joe pye weed. My back and side yard have a crazy collection of plants but it all seems to come together nicely. I've only been in this home 3 years and the previous owner had a gardener who did minimal upkeep. She didn't do any gardening on her own.
  • PRO
    Sitterle Homes
    10 years ago
    Transitional - Modern meets Native.
  • Pablo Bariola
    10 years ago
    Modern with much more green.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Naturescape, or Xeroscape. I love to visit other gardens, not spend my life tending them.
  • poeticmoma
    10 years ago
    The examples are too severe. The modern is cold and uninviting - looks like a parking garage in my town. The traditional looks unconnected to the house, but the lights on in the house and the greenery make it look more inviting. How about a few more choices! We are more modern, but there is something softening about a garden. Terrance Conran does justice to modern gardens that are not cold.
  • psousa
    10 years ago
    I like the one with the garden. The modern one seems so cold.
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    neither - no pool, casual with deck or patio, lots of gardens and bird baths, bird feeders, maybe a fountain.
  • PRO
    Fine Sculpture
    10 years ago
    Anything romantic FineSculpture.ca
  • midmodfan
    10 years ago
    I think that a garden should match the style of the house.
    Agree with some commenters that the modern "garden" example is not well chosen because it is too sterile, even for a modernist like me. Modern does not equal sterile!
  • David W
    10 years ago
    Other- I kinda like a mix of both.
  • Linda Thorwart
    10 years ago
    I love the traditional. There are over 80 acres behind us with plenty of wildlife. Love to watch the animals in the backyard - before I have to let the dogs out.
  • aldus70ag
    10 years ago
    Home -modern
    Backyard - modern with elements of traditional such trees and lawn .
  • PRO
    WaterfallNow
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You can have modern but add something like this

@mmarbuv - I agree on using tropical foliage (real/fake). It can make a huge improvement on the overall design.
  • PRO
    joekozey
    10 years ago
    Not my professional but, personal opinion. I am the traditional type. However, as a mother, homeowner there is something about the modern that says ease of care. Sitting in the traditional pool, I would see all of the gardening needed. In the modern, I would be free to use the pool for exercise while enjoying the surroundings albeit stark. Depends on function I suppose.
  • Judy Bihary
    10 years ago
    Traditional !
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    I like modern style for the house, but the garden needs to be warmer. I love English gardens! Modern is beautiful, but not the sterile ones that are all concrete and no life.
  • PRO
    hong
    10 years ago
    Nice!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    This is not so much a poll between two photos, as much as two concepts. It's a choice between a minimalist, low maintenance backyard or a high-maintenance, lush garden one. Hmmm....tough decision, so I'll take the one that comes with a handsome pool guy!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • aldus70ag
    10 years ago
    Traditional one seems cluttered .
    Modern one seems clean.
    I'll take modern .
  • behappi
    10 years ago
    Traditional...but with more grass. Pool is fine as long as it does not take over the yard.
  • stidmama
    10 years ago
    I like the look of the traditional backyard's plantings and architecture, but also would love some extra paved space for seating and gathering as in the modern garden.
  • janadiane
    10 years ago
    The traditional gardens remind me of my mother and grandmother so I like that a lot. My garden is cluttered now but it is only my third year in my home and I am learning what does well here. I moved from Maui to the Sierra Foothills so it is a big change. I have planted tons of Hostas and am excited to see how they fill in what was once bare dirt in the shady areas. Those areas will not seem cluttered, thank goodness. That is the great thing about gardens, they are ever changing and what doesn't work can be moved or given away.
  • Kimberly Dekker
    9 years ago
    Traditional.
  • Susan Humphries Salop
    9 years ago
    I love the modern one....looks like a resort and would love to live there:)
  • PRO
    Jakobsen Associates
    9 years ago
    I like "transitional" which combines the aspects of both. It suits where our culture is at philosophically. You know...that old new thing!
  • Kim Brandon
    9 years ago
    I think you can archive a mix of both elements for a yard that isn't your parents traditional or cold utilitarian look.
  • Tassio Franca
    9 years ago
    uma é só para casal....já a outra (mais verde) é mais família
  • shazco
    9 years ago
    Hi both pools suit both the homes in the photos. The modern pool just requires funky outdoor furniture with vibrant coloured cushions to make it even more homely. Fix up the garden and again add funky furniture and cushions to the other house and your a winner.
  • shazco
    9 years ago
    Forgot to say I could live with both if properly developed.
  • woofwoof
    9 years ago
    that modern pool doesn't even look like it's meant to be used for anything except an architectural feature, especially with the glass wall boxing it in......uninviting
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    9 years ago
    With the drought in our area this year, the modern landscape looks smart.
  • Su Myat Thida
    9 years ago
    Traditional is so beautiful.
  • PRO
    FK Interior Design
    9 years ago
    I love a lush traditional landscape, but in Southern California with the drought I have to lean towards a drought friendly modern landscape.
  • mhendel
    9 years ago
    The traditional has too little space around it for lounging, pool too large for the yard. The modern is clean and inviting, looks made for a hot day
  • PRO
    MAP Consultants, LLC
    9 years ago
    Modern but with some green grass to run your toes through.
  • Ngọc Huyền Ngô
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I like "modern & traditional mix" but i prefer traditional.
    For me, modern: fresh & traditional: cozy.
  • Sydney Chandler
    9 years ago
    I like a little greenery added to the modern but not too much. I prefer clean lines and the modern pool looks so cool and inviting.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Modern definitely calls out to me from an aesthetic sense, but the traditional version would probably be best for most clients and those with families and small children :)
  • Anna-Marie Horvath-Gass
    9 years ago
    Definitely Modern, please add some organic elements. trees, shrubs, grasses, flowering plants, Art. Modern doesn't mean"sterile", it just draws clean lines re: the architecture, this picture is what the Architect might have imagined. Now, the Landscape Architect must complete the look, and make it a home.
  • PRO
    MantelsDirect.com
    9 years ago
    Modern today is not necessarily what will be modern tomorrow. We believe in choosing timeless, quality pieces that will look as great today as they do in 20 years (a home is an investment).
  • karelina
    9 years ago
    Love the modern pool - perfect for lapping. The modern pool fits perfectly with the modern house. The traditional house and pool don't look like they belong on the same lot. Just because I have a 1900 house doesn't mean I have to like the look of the mismatched traditional house and pool.
  • soedesh
    9 years ago
    Traditional, but never rectangular. To me the pool should look like a natural part of the landscape.
  • PRO
    Go Nautical Collections
    9 years ago
    Nautical theme decoration never goes out of style whether it's modern or traditional http://gonautical.com/nautical-decor-c-2.html
  • PRO
    LineBox Studio
    9 years ago
    Modern
  • PRO
    Design Inspired by You
    9 years ago
    I'm more of a Traditional gal at heart, but I have to admit I have my soft spots for Modern and when those two styles come together I couldn't be any happier! :)
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    We don't have a back yard; rather a side yard.
  • Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

I have a garden in my backyard

• PRO
    Dwell Style Interiors
    2 years ago

Traditional! There’s a ‘warmth’ and a ‘serene steadiness’ about the traditional photo!
    The more modern photo would be appropriate in a very ‘modern city’ - say in a southern city in California!!

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

It depends on where it is (neighbourhood, city, country) and what the resources are (water cost and availability, sun availability, etc). Stupid poll.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH