POLL: Pool or Hot Tub?
April 4, 2014 in Polls
Some people have both. Some have just one or the other. If you could only have one, which one would you choose and why?

VOTE and share your experience in the comments!
Pool
Hot Tub
pattykpie
As I get older, I would use the hot tub every day that wasn't hot. There are a lot more of those than hot days when I could use the pool. Right now, I have an above ground pool that stays too cool and a broken hot tub. :-(
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 4, 2014 at 1:51PM
Aubry T
I'm in AZ and love a nice cool pool... a hot tub always makes me feel like I'm floating in bodily fluids because of the temperature.....
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 4, 2014 at 3:23PM
Sigrid
Neither! I'd love to get rid of the hot tub we have. It came with the house, and with a whole cabinet full of chemicals.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 4, 2014 at 11:06PM
Bryce Engstrom: Architect
I think a big part of that choice is the climate you live in. Where we live in coastal California it is very rarely that hot. More often it is cool and sometimes even foggy, especially in the evenings. My wife and I are in our hot tub at least once, and often twice, every single day. We keep in quite hot (106 F) and don't hang out for long periods, but it just feels wonderful after a long hike, bike ride, or just a long day work. I'd give up TV before I'd give up our hot tub.

Pools are great for much hotter climates but a lot more maintenance than a hot tub. And, you don't have to use a lot of harsh chemicals. Get an ozonator (very common with modern units), use a mineral cartridge in the main filter, and you can get away with very, very small doses of chlorine and bromine, amounts that barely even register on test strips and don't bother your skin.
17 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 4, 2014 at 11:18PM
paintsgreatbut
I agree with Bryce. Pools are a lot of maintenace, a friend has an inground pool heated and within his home and it is expensive to heat and doesnt get used enough to validate the expense.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 5, 2014 at 9:45AM
favoritegram
I have had both and where I live now only have a pool. I would rather have the hot tub cause it might help me husbands arthritis only our grandsons use the pool
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 5, 2014 at 10:09AM
icesk8r
I don't understand a hot tub to be honest. If I want to sit in a tub of hot water I'll go do it in my bathroom.
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 5, 2014 at 10:13AM
poollover
I have both, but if i had to choose it would be the Endless pool. Mine is in a log cabin in the garden and used for exercise several times a week by us both.
Love the hot tub but it is used mostly in the winter, love it when is cold out, the contrast of sitting in hot water while it's frosty all around is lovely.
I don't like baths, sitting in rapidly cooling dirty water never seems right.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 5, 2014 at 10:34AM
paintsgreatbut
Yes I think an endless pool would be great, and if the right color would be able to be used as a reflecting pool when not in use.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 5, 2014 at 10:48AM
Closet Experts
Live in the Chicago area and I enjoy almost daily my indoor hot tub, regardless of the time of year. Never too hot, never too cold to use. The hydrotherapy has been a boon for aching muscles over 14 years now.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 5, 2014 at 2:41PM
loniluna
I now have a pool and am loving it! I retired to a warmer climate, with the result that I can now use my pool 7 months of the year. We have a salt pool, and the maintenance is minimal. We usually just throw in a few bags of salt each season; plus have a robotic pool cleaner.....its so easy. If the climate is mild, you don't use your heater often.

I have never been a hot tube fan myself. But I do have a long bathtub with jets and sprays. While not "super" hot, it does the job.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 6, 2014 at 5:47AM
OnePlan
As we change our water once a week - ours can be hot or cold - dependent on the weather ! You can't swim far in it as it's only 5' diameter !! So I guess it goes under 'hot tub!'
The water heats by lighting a fire in the chamber at the back !
Am considering getting an electric heater for it though - as it takes a few hours to heat up !
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 6, 2014 at 9:59AM
behappi
I think I would prefer a pool, because I can at least try to exercise in the pool. Also, cooling off in the pool during summer is great! I've never been a fan with hot tubs...can get too hot.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 6, 2014 at 9:21PM
hasinajiwani
I picked pool just because where we live It gets more use than the hot tub, I guess I like getting use out of whatever I buy.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 8, 2014 at 2:38AM
joansahmed
I feel uncomfortable in hot tubs, especially with others. I like to float around a pool though and do excercises.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 8, 2014 at 6:58AM
lisathescot
I love my in ground pool. I don't use it a lot, myself, except on the really hot days, but it does get used by others in the house and I just love being able to sit or lie beside it and enjoy the sun sparkling off the water. It's the next best thing to being at the beach. All I can think of when I hear hot tub is my friend's name for them... "bacterial frappe"!
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 8, 2014 at 10:22PM
karelina
Wonderful exercise, lots of fun water games, just floating is so relaxing. More choices.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 8, 2014 at 11:10PM
quinciettajane
I get a very strange feeling when sitting in a hot tub. I've never heard anyone else say this. So they are not for me. Plus a friend had an enclosed one and I got overcome with chemical fumes.
Plus above ground ones look so bulky!!
I like my pool. I like to watch the light on it in the day. We had three ducks (wild) land and swim one day!! Then a couple frogs were in it!! The raindrops are gorgeous to watch upon the water. It is soothing to see the blue water. Then when summer comes, if someone will watch me, I love to swim. My head does not hurt then. I feel not disabled although I need much help in and out. I only swam once in 2012 and twice in 2013. I pray I can once again swim. It is relaxing for arthritis. I'm better able to have my brain and body commands connect. But I feel maybe like I liked it too much. I worked hard to design my small yard on my own. So I could enjoy my house and yard and pool plus entertain. Maybe someday again. But in the meantime, from my French doors, I enjoy birds flying over it and dragonflies galore making fluttering landings and quick take-offs. Even my cat will ignore fresh water in the summer and take a sip sometimes.
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 8, 2014 at 11:54PM
clifflea
If I ever get time to relax, which is very rare, I can't bear to be confined to one small space like the hot tub. Relaxing to me is by doing exercise like golf, walking or swimming. I can turn off and just enjoy the physical experience.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 2:13AM
gala62
I have always loved pools. We have a small above ground one (in the Northeast) and I'm in it from May- October generally. Sometimes several times a day! It's my zen. I exercise a bit, float around and watch the bees and birds in the flowers which surround the pool. Very relaxing and refreshing. Hot tubs for me are too...well... hot! ;-)
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 4:08AM
mpeplowski
We had an in-ground pool when the kids were young. Now in our new home we have a hot tub. Love using the hot tub in the winter. Our favourite time to use it is at night. Especially nice to be surrounded by snow and stars. We plan to use it all summer at a cooler temperature. We had it installed into our hard scaped deck so the top of it is level with the ground. We did like the pool when we had it though and didn't find the maintenance to be onerous. Oh...we live in the Niagara region in Ontario.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 4:31AM
lynncorn
I vote for hot tub... Living in Minnesota, it's great to be outside and warm on cold winter nights with the snow falling!
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 4:47AM
mvanegmo
Hot Tub all the way for Northern climates like Canada . we ran our Hot tub winter and summer for 6 years straight Nothing better than sitting in the Tub on a cold winter night , drinking wine and it's snowing.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 5:41AM
pinkrox22
We live in Ontario Canada. We LOVE or hot tub!! We have two special needs boys, so we keep our temp a little cooler. We use it as a family every single day!! They LOVE it, as do my husband and myself. It helps us get through the long winters. We especially love it on a crisp fall evening. Because it is just our family using it, we can get away with very few chemicals. On the other side, my parents have a pool and they live just around the corner. We also LOVE the in ground pool in the summer. The water seems to sooth my boys, so we spend a lot of time in it. They are great swimmers too. It is one of the very few times that my husband and I can sit and relax while watching the boys swim happily! Both are fantastic!!!
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 6:00AM
poeticmoma
BOTH! When our kids were little we spent a week in the Caribbean and the kids LOVEd the hot "pool" as they called it. A few years later when putting in our own pool, we knew we had to have a hot pool. IT is always a hit. A safe spot for little ones to start off swimming, extends the swimming season (think hot tub, plunge, hot tub in cooler months). We can heat just the hot tub and enjoy a refreshing swim. One summer that was so hot, we added blocks of ice to our hot tub as the pool was a tad lukewarm. Luckily our tub filters through the pool, so it is never at risk of being a source of contamination. With our design, the hot tub becomes the conversation pit.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 6:13AM
jschristian
Same amount of work for both. Benefit of hot tub is 10% of the pool Definitely skip the hot tub!
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 6:14AM
zocche
I prefer a pool because despite the cost and maintenance of it, it allows me to exercise and relax at the same time, wile inside the tub i can only stand still.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 7:05AM
Kathryn Peltier Design
I have a DIY hybrid: it's an 8 foot diameter livestock tank sunken into the deck. We attach an above ground pool pump/filter to it. It holds about 500 gallons and is 2' deep. Although it isn't heated, it is a great place to cool off on a hot summer day and is just big enough for an adult to float on an air mattress. My kids used it when they were little - perfect size. The maintenance is not too bad with chlorine, and when winter comes, I just pull the plug on the bottom and empty it!
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 7:22AM
brittac123
I think as far as the resale of a home goes, it's best to get a hot tub. I know that a lot of buyers are turned off by properties with a pool because of the upkeep, danger to children, and difficulty to remove. I myself wouldn't want to buy a house with a pool also because of the thought that it would hurt the resale of it... Plus there are plenty of public pools to visit if you really want to take a dip. Hot tubs are great during a Pittsburgh winter that drags on and on-plus they seem to require less upkeep and are usually covered when not in use.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 7:29AM
Brooke W
I'm in Kansas and a pool can really only be used May thru late September here. We have a hot tub and use it year round. It's relaxing, good on the joints and eases aches after a hard workout. In the summer we turn the heat off. It's a great place to read or enjoy a glass of wine, even with the jets off. We have 2 pools in our neighborhood that we frequent during the summer and a ski boat so a pool isn't in our cards, though if I had a lot of cash to spare I'd definitely have one!
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 7:50AM
Vicki D
I'd get a swim spa - you get both in one item.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 9:09AM
xavalexa
We had a swimming pool, it was great having kids and family pool parties back when our kids were young! (However, even tho I live in zone 7, the pool would have had to be heated to use more than 3 months/year.) We eventually filled it in however, as it ended up not getting used much altho maintenance wasn't really a problem. Now I look at homes and definitely avoid any that do have a pool! ~ We also had an outdoor then indoor hot tub - I'd hated having the hot tub outside in winter because I froze as soon as I got out of it - which is why we moved it inside when adding an addition. But then quit using it indoors as we realized we hadn't thought about the chlorine fumes. My choice at this point is going to be a saline hot tub inside because of the better powered massaging jets (much better compared to the ones they sell for bathrooms, have tried that too) and the ability to keep it 106 degrees constantly - PLUS a deep "soaker' bathtub to use epsom salts in... yes, all for medicinal purposes at this point.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 10:26AM
xavalexa
But have to say, would love a lap type pool with the endless edge just for decoration would be lovely, and I'd probably take a dip now and then in mid summer LOL
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 10:29AM
Studio NOO Design
I have a hot tub I don't use and I dream of a pool...but no space !
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 11:46AM
otteroo
I used to work for a pool and hot tub place and I personally took care of about 85 Hot tubs and 1 or 2 pools weekly on the Lake Michigan coast line from Michigan City, Indiana to South Haven, Michigan. I was the weekly maintenance man. I also helped on installs and repairs.

(1) Hot tubs. Hot tubs have jets. Jets have gaskets. Gaskets are effected by heat and cold, if you turn your heat off or simply turn it down to far trying to save money on operating costs, your gaskets will shrink and the tub will mysteriously start losing water and you will think you have a leak. You don't. Simply turn your temp back up the gaskets will swell and the water stops leaking. How many times you can get away with this before it really starts leaking is a roll of the dice. If you are in a warmer climate i.e. Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Arizona, etc,.., you don't need a hot tub. Soak in a bath tub, its more cost effective and less energy wasteful. Hot tubs have to stay at the ready 24-7. Imagine the energy waste to accomplish staying at 104 degrees 365 days a year, whether you are in it or not. In cold climates, don't lose power, your hot tub will turn into an ice block and burst all your expensive piping. If you do lose power run a heater underneath the tub and call for repairs, and pray for the best. Hot tubs also require balancing the water chemistry which costs money. Eventually you can no longer balance the chemistry and a drain and fill becomes necessary. You drain a bath tub every time so your chemistry is always spot on, unless you have really nasty water where you live. Most people don't use the jets in a hot tub anyway because of you turn them on and try to "lounge" in it, you will float around like a bobber and catch on real quick that by turning off the jets, you can relax much more easily and your water temp stays warmer, so basically it is now,..Just like a bath tub.
So why bother?

(2) Pools. Big, time consuming, expensive, luxury swimming pond.

There are basically three types of pools. (A) Liner pools, (B) Gunite pools (C) Fiberglass pools.

(A) Liner pools are the cheapest but liners wear out, and can be bleached by the chemicals. If go this route chose a design-less liner. Frankly I think they all wear out too quickly if you ask me. Replacing them is expensive so you either pay now or pay later, and when it happens a third time you will be looking to move out to another house because you are stuck with this and want to escape. This is WHY pools have a bad reputation,... liner pools.
(B) Gunite, allows you to free form your design any way you like. But Gunite needs to be re sealed with epoxy paint every 10 years or so requiring a full drain and refill on your dime plus the cost of paint and labor. Cha Ching!
(C) Fiberglass Pools, never need to be re sealed or painted and never needs a new liner. and Chemical use is also lower than the other two types. They simply stay cleaner and are easier to clean when you have too do so.

If I had to choose pool or a hot tub, I would choose a small fiberglass plunge pool possibly with seats and an over sized pool heater. No jets = no leaky leaky. If you want to turn it down and cool off, you can, and if you want it hot, you can. Think small, (unless you are going to have team volley ball tournaments in your pool of course, or every kid in a five county area visiting your back yard). Basically all you need is a place to cool off and float around a bit. Most people swim for a few minutes and lounge for hours so chose the size wisely.

Hope this helps.
15 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 9, 2014 at 11:53AM
Bored Cruise
I have a 19 ft swimspa, best of both worlds. Swim against the current, lounge, and exercise, leisure living & privacy anytime at home. Maintenance cost is utility bill, and bromine, which offset by $$$ I would have paid to gym memberships, hotels,travel time to clubs, Love and use it all year in Canada.
3 Likes   April 9, 2014 at 3:49PM
xavalexa
A pool is just for fun for for a few months for most people, especially if it's outside unless you're in a hot climate. Hot tubs enter another realm though... having used a hot tub's jets very effectively for muscle spasms for a number of years, I have to disagree about the jets - they were great and I wasn't "floating around like a bobber" even tho I only weigh 100 lbs ... The 'whirlpool' bathtub jets are pretty useless though for medical purposes. I only wish I could throw epsom salts into a hot tub - but soaking in them is useful for muscle spasms too, thus the need for a great bathtub.
1 Like   April 9, 2014 at 4:17PM
bainermom
I love my hot tub! It's a great place to relax with my hubby and adult beverage! Nothing better than sitting in a hot tub on a cold winter night and enjoying the beautiful, clear, starry nights while staying toasty warm! Sometimes we have great conversations and other times we just relax and enjoy the quiet. Early mornings with a cup of coffee are a great way to start the day. And snow . . . just can't be beat. AMAZING!! We wear a hat to keep it off our faces and head.
4 Likes   April 9, 2014 at 6:00PM
curacaoblue
Pools are easier to maintain. You can fit more people in them too
0 Likes   April 9, 2014 at 9:45PM
curacaoblue
I should note that my pool is salt water which contributes to the low maintenance IMO
0 Likes   April 9, 2014 at 9:48PM
msmaxiale
Had a hot tub. Great for muscle aches and sweat therapy. We wore it out and had it hauled away. Loved it on many a starry desert night. Thought to get another. I didn't want to spend the money. Got a bath but spa bubbler instead. Next water experience will be a 12' metal frame above ground pool with our salt water filter. We will tuck it in the corner of the back yard on a cement pad with padding underneath. When we get tired of it or it wears out, we'll get rid of it and reclaim the space. Read of a good idea for a ghetto swim spa. I'll tether a rope to the ol' mesquite tree and attach a tube float to the other end. Hop in the tube and exercise to my hearts content; with a built in life preserver to boot.

Have one kid left at home, she'll be swimming all summer!! Houzz has high end clients and budget class as well.
1 Like   April 9, 2014 at 10:34PM
msmaxiale
Bath tub bubbler not bath but bubbler. DISCLAIMER: No alcohol was involved with the prior message. Lol.
1 Like   April 9, 2014 at 10:36PM
Johan Nel
I agree with some of the other users. A pool needs allot of maintenance. We use our hot tub every day here in Europe. We grew up with pools in a much warmer climate than here in Europe. After a nifty run, the hot tub is ideal for relaxing, even for the children. Great family time!
0 Likes   April 10, 2014 at 5:57AM
melyndas
If I only could have one, it would be a hot tub! I get my exercise hiking and gardening - the hot tub ensures I can move after a day of activity. When I lived in Vermont, it was the only thing that got me through the winters. I was in there at least twice a day. California is much easier to handle, but I'm still soaking every day. A bathtub just would not cut it! Someday I would love to add a lap pool to the mix, but if it has to be one or the other, my hot tub will always come out on top.
1 Like   April 10, 2014 at 11:07AM
rejacada
Pools are fun if you have children, but to us empty nesters it is just another chore to be dealt with. Maintenance and upkeep are very tedious. Have the hot tub in ground as a part of the pool. I would NEVER do that again! Think I would vote for the hot tub,
1 Like   April 10, 2014 at 11:19AM
Pool, pool, pool, pool, pool. Pool!
2 Likes   April 10, 2014 at 11:25AM
Jennifer DiSessa
depends on where you are. Pools are nice if you live in a climate where they aren't covered up for 2/3 (or more) of the year. I live in the Midwest and would much prefer a hot tub.
0 Likes   April 10, 2014 at 11:34AM
My Splash Pad
What about a residential splash pad? Less cost then a pool, less maintenance and completely safe with no standing water.
0 Likes   April 10, 2014 at 3:52PM
Studio M Interior Design
Hot tubs are great for a bachelor pad or a small home, but a pool is perfect for entertaining or if you have a large family
0 Likes   April 11, 2014 at 7:24AM
Tina C
I love our small, 7x7, saltwater hot tub. A pool wouldn't fit in our small suburban yard, plus the Seattle climate means I'd only use it a small part of the year. We use the hot tub several times a week all year long and are planning to buy an umbrella cover to be able to use it more comfortably in the rain. The size is perfect for the two of us, the saltwater (Isis) system keeps the water clean without a lot of maintenance, and the Clearwater Spa construction is extremely well insulated. We've not seen a huge jump in electric bill -- and with our low hydroelectric rates, it's perfect.
0 Likes   April 11, 2014 at 7:58AM
torresld
I have always loved swimming and the beauty of a pool. Growing up in Southern California I had such fun. I no longer live in California and miss it. I would love to have a pool so I could swim again at my leisure. It would be a beautiful water feature taking center stage on my property but we have a lot of trees and wildlife that we would have to contend with. Fall in our area is a major event. Miss hanging out with family around the pool. The smell of pool chlorine, water sounds, the filter motor and suntan lotion brings back memories. Floating lazily on a raft and cooling off during the long hot summer; not to mention turning the pool area into a great gathering place. I could go on and on.
3 Likes   April 11, 2014 at 5:42PM
torresld
As far as a hot tub goes, I would go with a Jaccuzi that had great massage benefits. I have always thought it would be great to enjoy after a hard days work with a nice glass of wine and some relaxing music just before going to bed. Of course it would always be a available for the romance. I would want my pool or hot tub to have plenty of privacy.
1 Like   April 11, 2014 at 5:49PM
torix200
I would gowith pool I would never say no a nice soothing soak but the pool can be used for multiple reasons and I love to swim so yea
0 Likes   April 12, 2014 at 2:36PM
jen046
I live near Seattle, so no pool for me! Hot tubs are very nice here, however.
1 Like   April 12, 2014 at 3:07PM
mollythecollie
I would love to have a pool but like jen046 said it's a little too cool here. Our neighbors have one and only use it when their nieces and nephews visit in the summer.
0 Likes   April 12, 2014 at 4:15PM
luckylyn5
I've never been a fan of hot tubs, but I'd love an in ground pool (if we had the space plus budget to install and maintain it). I'm not much of a swimmer, but I love relaxing on a chaise by a pool and periodically taking a dip to cool off. We live in So Cal, so pools are usable most of the year.
0 Likes   April 12, 2014 at 8:16PM
amycarman
We are spa people. It is tucked away in the yard under a metal roofed structure. Nothing better than listening to the pouring rain in Dec. soaking in the spa.
1 Like   April 12, 2014 at 8:19PM
frenchdecor
Not a chance. My dog is swimmer and swims until we pull him out half dead-tired if we can over-smart him; goes so far against waves, like ship, that we don't see his head anymore. Once we couldn't take him out from the lake for 6 hours. But otherwise I would have a pool, prefer activity to leisure.
1 Like   April 12, 2014 at 8:45PM
Lynn Babin Fontaine
I have a hot tub and we use it all year long! A pool can only be used in the summer if its not indoors . A hot tub is so nice on chilly winter night!
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 5:37PM
Randy Walker
Most definitely pool! Hot tub is cute, but I would SO not use it that much.
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 5:42PM
lillybird
Hot tub definitely. I have failed back surgeries, arthritis, and autoimmune disease. Oh I wish I was in one right now.
2 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 5:43PM
cabingirl13
We used to have a hot tub (it came with the house we bought) and we used it a lot but over the years it started to leak- had issues with the heater not working and eventually we just let it sit (outdoors) not getting used. Then we had a massive hail storm one summer and it pretty much got destroyed. We finally got rid of it last summer and we do still miss it and talk about getting a new one someday. We have winter here 5 months year so a pool would not really be practical.
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 5:45PM
webwendyb
I could exercise in a pool so I'd like one for that alone.
1 Like   April 16, 2014 at 6:13PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
My write-in vote is for an Endless Pool. http://www.houzz.com/pro/endlesspools/endless-pools
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 7:19PM
brendaspaeth
I'd probably go for the pool but it would have to be indoor here in WI. However, my husband has a pinched nerve in his neck and he uses our hot tub every day, twice a day to keep his neck loose. So, because I love my husband, I voted for hot tub
2 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 9:13PM
Sydney Chandler
Can't stand hot tubs. There's just something about them that makes me feel icky. But I love pools and everywhere I've lived, since childhood, there's always been a pool. Great for pool parties, floating in it just relaxing...I think I'll go hop in mine now.
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 9:40PM
Laurel Ennis
The pool hands down. If you want to soak in the tub, you can use the bathtub but if you want to swim, ya gotta have a pool. As we age the pool would be good to keep us active even after our joints won't let us do other kinds of exercise.
1 Like   April 16, 2014 at 9:55PM
designideas4me
The comment I just read by aubre was so gross..." floating in bodily fluids?" OMG.... You have some psychological issues. Clorineis used to disinfect a hot tub or hot pool. If the hot tub is yours and not at a hotel or rent by the hour motel...lol... than it can be kept as clean as youdecide to keep it. The only reason I didnt buy a hot tub yet is because of money and I want a new one thats about 8-10k. But I call my pool a japoozi because I like to keep it at 88-98 degrees all season.. which for me is may thru oct..............but god so I have not having hot water and jets to swim in from Nov til May...I just count the days.
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 10:58PM
makaloco
I live in a location with a hot summer climate, and the best thing I ever did was install a pool. It's small and easy to maintain myself (I'm almost 67), and I've used it almost every summer day for seven years. It's not heated, so when the water gets too cold in winter, I just turn the filter system off and cover it. In spring I take the cover off, skim out the dead leaves and bugs, vacuum, balance the chemicals, and voilĂ . My dog loves it, too. Fun and exercise for the whole family!! :-)
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 11:35PM
Susan
If I lived in a hot climate, I guess a pool would be nice. Otherwise, I have to say neither. I'd rather have living spaces and gardens in my yard. We do have a water feature in our back yard, but that's it.
0 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 11:52AM
Urban Elements Interior Space
Hot tub for sure, I live in Portland and we use ours almost every night.
0 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 12:05PM
designideas4me
Makaloco... If your 67 and do it all yourself than I really nead to learn how and stop wasting money on a pool service. My pool is about 9 by 39 feet. How much do you think the chemicals alone would cost for that size pool? How did you learn to balance the chemicals? How often do you clean the filters? Thanks.
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 12:33PM
makaloco
Designideas4me, my pool is only about 2.5 by 5 meters plus the stairwell. I think that's something like 8x16 feet, so quite a bit smaller than yours. Chlorine tablets are expensive, maybe $25 for 4 kg. I go through a lot when the water gets really warm but don't keep track. Algicide is the other one that's bit pricey, but a bottle lasts 2-3 months. Chemicals to balance pH are cheaper. Sorry, I don't recall exact prices, and here in Mexico it varies from store to store. Most chemicals have instructions on them, and I've also learned from internet articles, at the pool stores, or from other people with pools. I have a little test kit to check chlorine and pH levels. My system has a sand filter, so there are no filters to change, but it needs to be backwashed every so often (running the filtration in reverse to clean the filter arms). The sand needs to be replaced every few years. Usually I clean the pool once a week or at most every two weeks, whenever it needs it. The day will probably come when I get a pool service, but so far I've managed on my own except for equipment repairs.
0 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 1:13PM
Denny Allen_Ide
I would love to have a pool. I can no longer walk well and have gained so much. No matter how little I eat without being able work out at all, everything just goes to fat. Swimming is the only thing I could do. A pool could save my life.
0 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 8:40PM
designideas4me
Thanks for the info. I spend $85 a month to have this man take care of the pool and was told it costs about $30 in chemicals monthly to keep it clean so I figured I pay his about $50 for the labor fee which I guess isnt bad. Mainly on hot summer days where its 100 degrees in the blazing sun it saves me from having to do it myself and since I have back pain I figured it less to worry about when the sides occationally need scrubing. He also seem to know when the solar isnt working how to fix it or when the filter housing craked how to replace that as well so I guess I need the help for the labor related stuff since I would have to do it with a bad back. I never heard of a sand filter.
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 2:25AM
keatherl
Pool and a sauna :) even living in a cooler climate I would love a pool in the summer months !
0 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 7:28AM
raesimmons
Between the two I would pick hot-tub. I live in a cooler region where a hot-tub is usable year round while a pool requires a little more upkeep and being outdoors would mean it would get little to no use between September to May. Hot tubs are also generally smaller leaving more room for dining space/ loungers in the warmer months and garden and green space year round. In my area it is much more convenient to drive out to the lake or community pool for actual swimming, but sitting out in the hot tub watching the stars year round with a drink- alone or with friends and family is so relaxing. Especially good for sore feet/knees/backs after a long day.
0 Likes   April 19, 2014 at 3:14AM
Need to find this wall covering!
I saw this wall covering in an apartment in Barcelona...
Can't decide kitchen color
I am moving into a new apartment. I would love to have...
Trim/ceiling color help
I have a 1980s spanish revival house that I am renovating....
I need helping picking a grey
I painted my living room, hall and foyer Benjamin Moore's...
Need advice/suggestions on paint color
I'm moving into a new condo with Brazilian Jatoba hardwood...