Need help with countertop, cabinet and backsplash combinations
Bram
I am renovating my kitchen and have selected my cabinets. White cabinets around the periphery and a dark wood island. My dilemma is now to pick countertops and backsplash. I know I am going with quartz countertops but should I select light countertop on light cabinets and dark on dark cabinets? Should I choose a busy countertop and a plain backsplash or a plain countertop with a mosaic backsplash? I am confused with the number of choices. Thanks a lot for your advice!
indianpatti
There are so many possibilities ... take a look through the photos here on Houzz and save pics that appeal to you in your ideabook.

A busy white/dark counter on the perimeter would look nice with a plain on the island or vise versa. Think about what type of backsplash you want and if you want an overall modern or traditional look. Have fun and take your time in deciding.
April 4, 2014 at 3:03PM        Thanked by Bram
If you keep all of your countertops the same, you can go all light, all dark, or something in between. But if you want to use two countertop materials, then I would use a darker one against the light cabinets and a lighter one against the dark cabinets for contrast. If you use a quartz with a pattern to it, keep the backsplash colors and pattern simple so it doesn't compete with the counters. Personally, I like both simple counters and simple backsplash, as I think they are more timeless, but as long as both aren't busy it is a matter of personal preference how much pattern you want to use in one or the other.
April 4, 2014 at 3:18PM   
DDS Design Services, LLC by Jeff Kida
Bram, a dark counter top choice will probably lead to a dark back splash. Which may intern create too much contrast for you. Depending on the flooring it could really end up looking dis-jointed. Put a color board together before going any further. The lighting color you choose or already have will also play a roll. Lighting should be a uniform tone meaning the ceiling lights and task lighting should be the same color.
April 4, 2014 at 3:21PM   
May I ask why a dark counter would lead to a dark backsplash? There are hundreds of thousands of photos on Houzz of beautiful kitchens with white/light cabinets, dark counters and light back splashes. So I don't quite follow your reasoning, DDS. I happen to agree that dark counters with dark back splashes can look too dark and create too much contrast, and I think all your other advice is excellent, but I don't quite follow why the dark counters would necessarily lead to the dark back splash.
April 4, 2014 at 3:23PM   
How about light on the dark and dark on the light?

April 4, 2014 at 3:30PM   
Bram
thank you all! I am afraid I will pick the wrong combination and the kitchen will look disjointed, to Jeff's point. I have uploaded 3 images - the mosaic backsplash which I really like and 2 combinations - one with plain countertops and one with a busy and plain combination. The cabinet colours are also in the pic. Any thoughts?
April 4, 2014 at 3:39PM   
DDS Design Services, LLC by Jeff Kida
Bad choice of words I guess. It's been my experience that when you are already starting with a contrasting island color it makes counter top choices a lot more difficult because of the contrasting cabinet colors. Adding more contrast on the perimeter with dark counter tops may be more than some people can handle. Which is why I suggested the color board.
April 4, 2014 at 3:41PM   
Bram
My original thought was light on dark and vice versa. But then I thought that dark on dark would look very classy and we saw a kitchen that was white with light counters and it looked stunning.
April 4, 2014 at 3:43PM   
allisonmacfarlane
I wouldn't do dark on dark, because I personally feel the kitchen needs some light to make it flow. I also don't like white on white because I feel like its kind of blinding. I love white granite on dark brown cabinet, with a little colourful backsplash, or grey rectangular shaped tiles. Try to get some sunlight in there with a big window, and it's always nice having stainless steel appliances.
April 4, 2014 at 6:27PM   
Home needs some life
My wife and i are in the process of purchasing a home...
Ugly black stone fireplace!
We just purchased a brand new house and my husband...
1940 Brick House needs Curb Appeal Facelift
We just bought this house. Need to add some curb appeal....
I need ideas for chairs to go with a table i fell in love with
Here is the table. Medium brown /w/ a golden swirling...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...