Need Advice for Improving Curb Appeal
jillgirl
We have just purchased this home in a great location at a competitive price. It has a wonderful, open modern floor plan. The only thing we do not like is the mansard roof. We are considering getting quotes to change the roof line, but we expect that will be very, very expensive.

I've read general advice about adding landscaping (hardscape as well as softscape), changing the paint colors, and/or the roof or house material below the mansard roof. We would appreciate your specific recommendations so that the outside of the house will look as nice as the inside of the home. Would adding windows be less expensive than changing to roof line? Looking to hearing from y'all!
TanCalGal
I cannot see the house very well. I might paint a gray with white trim. Here is how to find a good paint color: http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/

April 8, 2014 at 9:30pm     
ellenp1214
If you cannot remove the roof, I'd whitewash the shakes so there's less contrast between materials.
April 8, 2014 at 9:39pm     
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
You could find out what it would cost to take away the mansard roof and straighten out the walls to make the house a contemporary design with new large windows where there is now a mansard.

The house could be very nice if it is remodeled correctly........It looks like it has a lot of potential.

I would recommend that you look for a local architect to help you out with the design.

Also, see if your architect can bring in a good contractor to work with all of you to help stay within your budget.

I would suggest that you also modify the entry way to make it more inviting...........
April 8, 2014 at 9:47pm        Thanked by jillgirl
kathleen MK
I wonder if it would be cheaper and easier to transform it into a gambrel roof ( Dutch colonial or barn like) than to build straight walls and a pitched roof. With the flat garage roof you could add a roof deck then build out the mansard as a modern cube of horizontal bands of wood balanced on the brick first story maybe as just a facade over the mansard. Good luck with a challenging design dilemma.
April 8, 2014 at 9:59pm     
Luke Buckle
I find the roofline the most unique part of the house. Are you sure you can't live with it?
April 8, 2014 at 10:07pm     
Karin Madgwick
Love your new home! I agree that the mansard roof is a great feature. I would paint the roof dark grey and the brickwork a bright tan. The surrounds of windows and doors also in the tan. This will modernise your home. Good luck.
April 8, 2014 at 10:20pm     
olldroo
Love your house, from what I can see of it, I wouldn't change a thing. I love the closed look it has to the street, makes it mysterious and has one wanting to see more.
April 8, 2014 at 11:25pm     
jillgirl
Thanks, everyone, for all your wonderful creative ideas! Now we'll see what our budget will allow.
April 9, 2014 at 6:06am     
Craig CraigMDesigns
I think your house looks very modern already, but changing the shingles out to a standing seam steel roof could really update it. Although it's expensive there may be a cheaper alternative. Doing something with the entry box could REALLY update this great house beautifully. Very modern looks are being done with slat walls enclosing garden patio spaces.
April 9, 2014 at 10:42am     
ellenp1214
Here's a mansard roof that's had a wonderful modern update. They painted the brick and the shakes the same color with a really nice result I think. The color's dramatic but it works well!
May 5, 2014 at 2:26pm     
mrsnooooodle312
What look are you going for?
May 5, 2014 at 2:29pm   
I think paint and additional windows will be the key. I find the little boxy entry to be a bit incongruous, but it looks to be original to the construction since the roof line changes to accommodate it. Strange to have a walk behind it and a stoop on the garage side. That might be an area to get professional input for a major change in the visual.
May 5, 2014 at 3:24pm     
bgfuqua
I think the maybeck house above looks like a hulking monster. yours is a gem by comparison. a more welcoming entry is all you need.
May 5, 2014 at 11:49pm     
kmkane
open the entry by removing the brick wall that blocks it. And downplay the garage doors! Goodness, it's a garage house at this point.
May 5, 2014 at 11:56pm     
jillgirl
Thanks again to everyone for your creative thoughts! We have now hired an architect, who seems very creative, and we are eager to see the concepts he will provide in a few weeks.

We discovered that we will need to go modern (which is o.k. with us and fits the style of the house inside) since changing to a gabled roof would require a lot of expensive structural work--especially since we live in earthquake country (California).

We'll be somewhat trailblazers with a flat roof modern style in the neighborhood, but I think if it is not an "industrial" modern look, we should be fine.
May 6, 2014 at 5:04pm     
kmkane
best wishes! Let us see the end result
May 6, 2014 at 5:16pm     
flopsycat1
Would love to see what ideas a creative architect can come up with.
May 6, 2014 at 5:24pm     
jergens1211
We have removed mansard a on a few of these homes and installed trusses 8/12 with your levels it would look awesome..stucco
May 9, 2014 at 3:10pm     
Need advice on improving curb appeal!
I would like to improve the "curb appeal" of our home....
Need advice to improve curb appeal
The original 1970's Lyndal Cedar "kit home", perched...
Need HELP with improving exterior facade and improving curb appeal
Recently gutted and remodeled interior and it looks...
Need help with improving curb appeal
I would need all the help with ideas to improve the...
Master bedroom makeover
Please help me give this bedroom a contemporary/ modern-...
Go light or dark with grout color?
I'd love your opinion on whether you'd recommend a...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
to paint, wood work etc - help!!!
I just bought a house - All thought very nice, the...
what wall decor to match with silver bull head with horns in bedrm?
Have 4 poster king sz bed. using bull horn in the in...