How to re-fill sofa cushions to look inviting, luxurious?
sjr
We have an old but still great looking down filled sofa except that the down has deteriorated over the years. We had it re-filled by a "master furniture maker" with "the finest foam" wrapped in something soft (not sure what). It now looks cheap, taut, uninviting, and inelegant (compared to the previously beautiful down look). We're quite upset. How can it be redone with a more balanced combination of fill to make it easy to maintain yet luxurious?
Patricia Colwell
I have a sofa that has a foam center of each cushion and then that foam is wrapped with a down filled pillow (hope that makes sense) I love them, you still get the softness of the down but a little structure from the foam, I don't know how expensive that would be to have done now that you don't have the down anymore.
2 Likes   Thanked by sjr    April 5, 2014 at 6:51AM
Libbmom
Do you still have the down inserts that came out? My MIL use to refill her down cushions herself using old down pillows (replacing her bed pillows with new ones)...of course this may be because she could not get rid of anything and she was a DIY person...she is now 93...
5 Likes   Thanked by sjr    April 5, 2014 at 7:00AM
sjr
Thank you both! I did happen to save the old down. But I understand it might have to be cleaned? Or that it has deteriorated which was why it fluffed up high but we hit the frame when we sat down? But I do have it all. I'll ask him to re-do it in some way to include ease of care with the fluff of luxury features. (He didn't want to open our 30 year old feather inserts to use loose because they'd go all over.) It's a dilemma because he is about to begin making our sectional for our great room and I'm concerned that the cushions might end up looking like boat cushions. He is very nice and I'm hoping accommodating to make these changes. We surely want an inviting looking sectional. Thanks again!!
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 7:37AM
katiede
What a great idea to use old down filled pillows for the sofa cushions! We have an older sofa and chair that were my grandmother's which need a bit of repair (but are still better quality than what you can buy these days!) that I want to reupholster. I had them reupholstered 10 yrs ago and the upholsterer ruined the cushions so they need to be remade and I'd love to go back to down-filled, the look is so much more elegant and inviting. Thank you for the inspiration!
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 8:41AM
Patricia Colwell
Great idea.
0 Likes   April 6, 2014 at 6:31AM
brickln
You could also check a furniture store and find a sofa with the cushions you like. I think some manufacturers sell replacement cushions; there are definitely companies on line that have this service.
0 Likes   Thanked by sjr    April 6, 2014 at 6:46AM
sjr
I'd need something to fit into these cushions. I can try. Thanks.
0 Likes   April 6, 2014 at 7:26AM
Genevieve
Purchase some batting and wrap it on the cushions ,sometimes you may even have to cut it to shape ,use the batting that quilters use it comes in different thickness . http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/product-group-batting/use-quilting/type-supplies.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google+-+Product%2C+Padding+-+Batting%2C+u%2C+Quilt+%28Batting%29&utm_term=walmart%20quilting%20batting&utm_content=sc3KJWdFx_dc|pcrid|37806354133|pkw|walmart%20quilting%20batting|pmt|b|
0 Likes   Thanked by sjr    April 6, 2014 at 10:03AM
sjr
Thank you so much, Genevieve. I was wondering and hoping there might be a similar "wrap" filled with feathers and down instead of batting so it could fluff up. The foam (very high grade) is fitted in so tightly, there would simply be no room to fit more batting of any kind. I'll ask the (very nice) upholsterer to see if he could cut it down a bit to fit in a fluffier wrap. Great idea. Thanks again.
0 Likes   April 6, 2014 at 10:12AM
Genevieve
I assume that there are zippers at the back of these cushions ,if you wrap them tightly there shouldn't be any room left inside , I agree that it might be a bit difficult to fit them in but believe me it will work ,you probably will need an extra pair of hands to help you with it .

Looking at the sofa and the back cushion it almost looks like these were cut a bit too big to fit properly into the frame /body of the sofa ,could it be that they took the wrong measurements when they reupholstered the sofa? The cushions at the bottom pop -up too ,a sign of tightness in my opinion.
1 Like   Thanked by sjr    April 6, 2014 at 10:23AM
sjr
This was an excellent sofa that was in our living room for 30 years--hence not sat upon very often. The fabric, frame, etc. were all in great condition. So only the (100%) feather/down filling (which I kept) had deteriorated. So the cushions did fit the sofa beautifully before the new foam was inserted.
Yes, there are zippers on the bottom cushions. None on the top. I know they fit too tightly. That's why I'd like him to slice out some of the foam to allow room for the batting you suggest. Thanks for your advice. Will keep you posted.
2 Likes   April 6, 2014 at 10:49AM
Libbmom
Google how to wash feather/down pillows...if you decide to use your old inserts...perhaps wash them before adding new feathers, etc... http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/heloise/feather-pillow-washing-jul02
2 Likes   Thanked by sjr    April 6, 2014 at 11:17AM
sjr
Thanks!! The only thing online other than HOUZZ I'd hate to be without is Google. I forgot about doing that, so thanks for the reminder and the link!
2 Likes   April 6, 2014 at 12:58PM
Concrete floors temporary?
I am thinking of removing our satillo tile and living...
Zoraida Salas-Allison
Help my kitchen
Should I paint the cabinet or keep them
4tocome
Seating Suggestions Needed in Living Room
Need ideas for seating options to across from the sofa...
Peter
What to do what to do
Ideas please!
Jason Diaz
Closet is not cutting it..
I just bought my first home and need to double the...
kays980