Kitchen design dilemma!

mz32000April 5, 2014
All:

I need your help again. Something about our kitchen design doesn't feel quit right. I know that we are outside of the bounds of the kitchen work triangle, but we didn't want a sink in the island.

Would love your perspectives on whether this design will work or if there is a need to redesign - and if so, your suggestions.

Thanks again for all the advice so far!

Cheers,
--Ram
The kitchen layout looks fine overall. More countertop spaces beside the cooktop would be appreciated.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by mz32000    April 5, 2014 at 11:49AM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I agree with Dytecture. The only thing wrong with your design is that the range is too cramped in the space that it is in. I would relocate the double oven and then center the range on the bottom wall where you have it (just move it over)..

You can put a double oven under the range, or under the island or between your refrigerator and tall pantry. The oven doesn't need to be in the triangle.......
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by mz32000    April 5, 2014 at 11:55AM
mz32000
Thanks for the time Dytecture and LDA, Inc! We thought about the oven being under the range and chose the separates because we didn't want the "gap" between the range and the countertop which seems to gather incredible amounts of food particulates during cooking. The column with the oven also includes the microwave that we wanted to be closer to eye level...
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:23PM
mz32000
Also thought of switching the location of the refrigerator and the oven, but thought that might be strange as well...
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:24PM
Premier Countertops & More
Don't get to caught up in the whole work triangle thing. I think the kitchen functions better by creating work spaces instead. When I looked at this layout, the first thing I noticed was the cramped space at the cooktop. So I would move the double ovens and get you more countertop space which is really needed at the cooktop. I did a rendering for you to give you an idea.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:38PM
Hal Braswell
My only suggestion different from those above is it seems like the pantry is a long way from whatever entrance is being used to bring groceries inside. If the mudroom entrance is the primary grocery route, maybe provide direct access to pantry and lose the pantry window.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:52PM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
The rendering by Premier Countertops & More is wonderful and it shows one of the options that I described as well.

It moves the double ovens over to the side of the refrigerator and opens up the kitchen beautifully.

Look at how spacious the kitchen is with this layout.

Ovens don't need to be in the triangle area because you put your food in and leave it there for a while....it doesn't need constant monitoring like a cooktop does.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 6:22PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
It doesn't look bad to me. Mock it up by laying it out with chalk in your existing garage or on your driveway. Do a mock dinner preparation and see how it works.

I do NOT like the closet in the Mud Room, too much closet for not enough door.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 7:04PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
What's with the "painted safety safety railing" in the Mud Room And Family Room?? What is the thing next to the close t in the Foyer?
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 7:14PM
Hal Braswell
@Mark
Agree about mudroom closet. Whether groceries are brought in through mudroom or stairs entrance, seems like opening the mudroom into pantry would be far more convenient than looping through kitchen then back into pantry.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 7:58PM
mz32000
@Mark
The "Painted Steel Safety Railing" are fort access to a future deck...not part of the build, but something that we plan to the back of the house at some later date.

The "Return" next to the closet in the foyer is the HVAC return air vent
    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:34PM
mz32000
@Mark @halbraswell
Regarding the pantry entrance - we were specifically looking for something with easy access to the kitchen (thus the entrance facing the kitchen) given the grains, etc. that we expect to store and need access to quite regularly.

I agree the closet in the mudroom will be a bit difficult fully utilize, but we expected to use some of this space for longer term storage of all coats, jackets, etc that are not accessed regularly
    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:38PM
mz32000
Regarding the constrained space next to the cooktop - I agree...may be we need to go back to a regular range with a microwave somewhere else? I expect that we will likely get a 42" or 48" fridge as well, so that may begin constraining the area to the right of the sink.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for ALL the help so far!
    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:41PM
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Another mud room comment: the closet is designed for wasted space, not practical use. I would open up the pantry to the mud room, providing an alternate route to the kitchen without tramping through the family room, and line the area with as much storage as you need. The space can be both beautiful and practical.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 8:36AM
mz32000
I agree that the closet in the mudroom is somewhat inefficient, but we need some type of closet there to keep our jackets, coats, shoes, etc...any thoughts on how to redesign and keep the closet?
    Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 6:23AM
ballyhoogirl
I would take out the mudroom closet and place it where the cubbies are right now and take out the little wall separating the closet from the cubbies.

I would put a few cubbies underneath the bench,again taking out the wall there that's supporting the door for the closet. If you wanted to save part of the wall on the pantry that separates the mudroom from the pantry I would put a pocket door there so that you could close it off from the mudroom if you wanted to.

I would also remove the door that enters into the pantry from the kitchen and replace that with a pocket door that slides behind the breakfast nook. This would give you even more room for shelving in the pantry
    Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 8:04AM
zachandannie
I love the butlers pantry off the dining room but wonder if there's a way to also open the wall create an opening into the family room?
    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 4:18AM
erickzl
Hi, definitely recommend you that visit this page dynamicspace.com, there you'll find another point of view to determine the correct design of the space, workflow and movement in your kitchen, for me is much more complete that the theory of the triangle. I hope that info works for you!
    Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 7:13AM
Kitchen backsplash design dilemma
We are building an open concept kitchen - living room...
zaikushok
I have a kitchen design dilemma! Help!
Hey everyone, my kitchen design is driving me nuts!...
hosking2026
Need help with this kitchen back splash choice
I am looking for a unique back splash for this circa...
Thomas Nickerson Wood Works
My thread/design dilemma has become not accessable? please help :)
I have/had a kitchen design dilemma thread going, and...
toatsmcgoats
Kitchen Design Dilemma
We are in the middle of renovating more to our house...
odisseas
What to hang over sofa/ wall behind TV
Hi :D So here is my living room which is somehow...
rose_jm
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
Jenna Carr
Huston Blog Post: understanding joinery in furniture
Let’s begin our series on appreciating value with...
Huston & Company
Doors or Windows
I have a wall in my plans that divides the porch/screened...
Brea Albritton
New tall linen-type-fabric oatmeal headboard - need something above!
OK, this is my 3rd try & I'm still "not feelin'...
lwhitfield