Painting Cabinets
alpuzz
I am thinking about painting my cabinets... Do you think black with a gray island will be too much?
kovar
What color were you thinking of painting the cabinets? This may not be the same counter top that you have, however it give you an idea of the cabinets.
April 5, 2014 at 2:10PM     
Rockin' Fine Finish
try a lighter color like charcoal gray
April 5, 2014 at 9:19PM     
Eagledzines
I agree with Rockin'. Your cabinet design (cathedral doors and face frame cabinets) doesn't lend itself to the contemporary look of edgey black. I would try a softer color, charcoal to mocha tones instead. Possibly even driftwood or taupe.
April 5, 2014 at 9:44PM     
alpuzz
I appreciate the feedback and I can't disagree with the comments. I really like the look of black but it's definably not the intended style of the kitchen. With that said I don’t think it will look bad but I don’t know if it will look its best.

About 5 years ago I moved into this house and I had to quickly do a budget remodel due to some water damage and some very poor design choices (by the prior owners). At that time I had the granite installed and I added additional cabinets in addition to several other things. The cabinets I installed became darker over time and their present look is awful - it's about the only thing I regret. That is why I want to paint them. They are quality, solid maple, and I think a good coat(s) of paint in the right color will make them last for years.

Looking at some photos, I do think a gray may also look really nice. I may want to change the wall color at that point but that is an easier decision as walls are easy to paint. I like taupe/cream color cabinets but I do not think they will go well with my flooring.

I have attached a potential color?
April 7, 2014 at 5:16PM     
Meghan B
I painted my cabinets and my advice is to use an oil based paint vs latex. I used a sprayer and a compressor but what a pain. In the end a roller brush worked just as well. Good luck!
April 7, 2014 at 5:19PM   
Eagledzines
The gray-blue above are beautiful.
Here is a taupe to ponder. I believe they may have a cream or white glaze.

April 7, 2014 at 6:14PM   
kovar
What if you take two or three colors from the granite counter that you like and buy the paint, then paint a good size board and place them around the kitchen at different times of the day, to see how you like the look. Your kitchen is big and you have a lot of natural light coming in, so I think your kitchen can handle a dark or light dark color. Here's one more color to think of. Good Luck :)
April 7, 2014 at 6:15PM   
mayerx2
I just painted my oak cabinets sherwin williams black fox. It's a dark gray, they look beautiful. You need to sand them, put on primer, then you can use a mohair roller.
April 7, 2014 at 6:20PM     
lntrcrts
No black please! I really think that they should be white it will look nice with your appliances and the backsplash you have and best of all it will really give good contrast against that beautiful gray paint you have on the walls. Nice kitchen! It will also brighten up your kitchen also. Your kitchen is a little on the dark side so please no dark colors.
April 7, 2014 at 6:48PM   
Sound Painting Solutions
I think grey island would look great! Here's a project we did last year:
April 7, 2014 at 10:46PM   
kmkane
Love the idea of black, or near black. Your floor and current wall color would take it well. Sure the arched cabinet doors aren't the best design for such a deep color, but they can always be replaced. Good choice!
April 7, 2014 at 11:37PM   
bysesign
Don't do the cabinets in black. It will define the space and your stove will look like a small trinket. How about using a black painted glass for your backsplash and paint the cabinets an soft white to blend with grey walls and granite. Then you can paint the bar stool/ chairs in a black lacquer. The granite will POP
.
April 7, 2014 at 11:56PM   
copy11
I think off white / taupe / grey tone will look very classy . You can live with this ,color for a long time. Black eventually you will get tired of it . Moreover your appliance will look better with cream
Use Melmine paint for kitchen.
April 8, 2014 at 3:43AM     
Best way to have shower tile installed
I am having my shower completely resized and retiled....
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Fireplace colour.
My kitchen, eating area and living room is open concept....
In a new passive house, tiles or wooden flooring in open plan area.
I hope to build a new Passive House next year, I can...
Need help with placing armchairs in living room.
As I have mentioned in older post. I have sold the...