Time to paint Rosecottage kitchen

rosecottagehomeApril 5, 2014
The white wall primer has been on for a year now since our cottage/home renovation and I am trying to decide on the direction of paint color. The back splash will go in this summer, antique white subway tile with a textured trim surrounding a herringbone pattern of the same above the stove. The ceilings are clear pine, floors med.dark brown, Alaskan white granite, which has creamy white and taupe tones and antique white cupboards. I have much blue and white going on with dishes, table linens. I was thinking of a tone of grey. There are so many tones! Maybe a soft yellow, but my pine ceilings may not go so well with this color. I second guess myself all the time about inside paint colors and could sure use your advice. I would much rather be working in the garden with a cup of tea!!! Greatly appreciate your suggestions! Thank you : ))
Maraly
Wow. My kitchen is identical to yours. Behr makes light French gray. It's between blu and gray. Beautiful. I have subway backsplash with blue glass tile inserts.
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 5, 2014 at 4:47PM
rosecottagehome
Thanks patina, I will look for this shade and see if it will work for my kitchen. Much appreciated : ))
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 5:34PM
apple_pie_order
Very pretty kitchen. You can save some time by taking a scrap of your clear pine ceiling, a bit of granite and a drawer front to the paint store with you. Add a flooring piece, too.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 5, 2014 at 6:39PM
rosecottagehome
Great idea apple_pie! That should help cut down the amount of sample chips I will take home.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 6:51PM
yvonnecmartin
I'd vote for a denim blue--enough grey to be not too bright, but enough blue to look good with the pine.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 5, 2014 at 8:38PM
karemore55
Hi, Rosecottage, You have a beautiful kitchen! I could sure see myself sipping a cup of tea and gazing out the window into what looks like a beautiful yard!

I recently discovered Ben Moore Classic Gray in my daughter's orthodontist's office, of all places. They had just done a reno, and I was awestruck by this beautiful, soft color. It comes across as chalky white at times because it is so light. They had used accents of blue and copper in the space, so when I look at your blue dishes and pottery, and the yellow tones of your ceiling, I think this might just be your color.

Showing the color below, along with a few rooms painted in it.

And, you know the drill - please post after pics once you paint!
18 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 5, 2014 at 10:23PM
rosecottagehome
Thank you yvonne! I will also consider and look for paint chips in a light denim blue and see how that looks.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 4:29AM
rosecottagehome
Hi karenmore! Thanks so much for joining in! I was hoping you might drop by. LOL Oooooooh that is such a nice subtle color and it does look nice behind the blue and yellow, It would also still provide some contrast behind my large bank of antique white cupboards. If you are in Ontario, do drop in for tea and we can sit beside the lake at the cottage for that cup of tea : ))
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 4:40AM
Hi rosecottagehome- You have a beautiful kitchen and should give much more advice on Houzz;)) I just love everything about your kitchen!! I have a hard time saying the word *gray* lately but that may be the right color as much as I love a soft yellow;)
I want to come for tea too;))
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 6, 2014 at 6:23AM
Sophie Wheeler
Nothing says ''cottage kitchen'' like yellow and white with touches of blue. SW Iviore plays well with all wood tones.
10 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 6, 2014 at 6:33AM
rosecottagehome
Hi Margo! Thanks for dropping into the tea party!! LOL. Wouldn't that be fun :))) Thanks also Margo for your kind words of praise about my kitchen. Finally was able to design my dream kitchen/cottage.....well better late than never: ) I will likely have several paint chips and small sample bottles to try on the wall and re-post for moral support. Do you like Earl Grey tea with your scone?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 8:49AM
rosecottagehome
Sophie, thanks for the suggestion of SW Iviore. I just googled it as well as images and it is very soft and has " understated elegance, naturally", as the site tells me. It does have a cottage warm feel and would also look great with all my blue and white........so it is definitely a contender. I really like it!! Again many thanks: )) https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6127-ivoire/
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 9:01AM
I prefer English Breakfast Tea with cream please....;)))
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 6, 2014 at 9:15AM
rosecottagehome
Sophie, Yvonne, apple_pie, how do you like your tea? Well apple_pie I will give you the job of bringing dessert : )) I am laughing as I am giving myself design images for my own dilemma............so what do you think about Sherwin Williams Ivoire that Sophie suggested which to me has "cottage written all over it. The color of the pine mantle over the stove in the second pic looks nice with it, so it may look good with my pine ceilings then.

SW6127 Ivoire by Sherwin-Williams · More Info
-
No 2 · More Info
Georgian - Parade of Homes 2012 · More Info
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 9:22AM
rosecottagehome
Margo - English Breakfast it is! I have a kazillion types!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 9:26AM
Chook will bring the Prune Danish;))
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 6, 2014 at 9:27AM
rosecottagehome
patina, please forgive my tardiness of not scrolling up enough to see you were the first to drop by, please come for tea : ))
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 9:28AM
rosecottagehome
That's after Chook finishes her camel ride LOL: ))) What was that you said Margo in that thread...."hump and dump" Ok you need your own comedy show along with karenmore!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 9:30AM
LOL- LOL-LOL_ speaking of Karemore, where is she??? Karen, YOHOO ;))
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 6, 2014 at 9:34AM
Sophie Wheeler
Iviore reminds me of the fresh butter that my neighbor churns---and that goes so well with my grandmother's strawberry scone recipe. (I'll bring both for the party.) Time for a sample and poster board!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 6, 2014 at 9:36AM
rosecottagehome
Sophie, your neighbor still churns butter? Then invite her too!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 9:38AM
rosecottagehome
Sophie I would love your grandmother's strawberry scone recipe!!! Strawberry season will return won't it?? If it is too much to type out, no worries I can google one. Isn't it great how you can google anything these days! But strawberry scones would be amazing with tea in my freshly painted kitchen LOL
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 9:43AM
karemore55
Rosecottage, Strawberries would look so nice with S-W Ivoire! So will your blue dish ware:))

It's a great idea and a great color. You will definitely want to paint poster board and hold up to various walls and things. In a lakeside setting, with lots of trees and greenery outside, colors appear different. But it sure is a pretty color!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 6, 2014 at 10:41AM
karemore55
We have an old butter charmer but I have no idea how that thing works. It looks like you have to laboriously twist the big stick or paddle, or whatever it is, for hours until your cream turns solid.

Women must have had arms like gorillas back in the day!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 6, 2014 at 10:43AM
rosecottagehome
karenmore, I bought some churned butter from a pioneer village once because I took such pity on the sweat soaked pioneer dressed lady who was "charming" that churner on a really hot day. LOL ........Glad you like the S-W Ivoire and I will take your advise to paint a large board first to try it in different light.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 11:04AM
karemore55
Did you know that if you buy good quality whipping cream from the health food store, and you don't keep an eye on it while it's whipping, it will turn to butter in about 3 minutes lol?

Btw, I'll take Earl Grey tea, thank you kindly!

You are waterfront in Ontario, aren't you, Rose? We used to have a cottage on Sylvan Lake, but having waterfront property in Alberta is a joke. If you weren't getting rained out, hailed out, or thunderstormed out, the mosquitoes would eat you alive. I hope your locale is much more "user friendly"!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 6, 2014 at 11:24AM
rosecottagehome
karenmore who knew, you were a modern day pioneer, rather than baker LOL Kind of a waste of good quality whipping cream though.

Sylvan Lake....I have heard of it, must google location. Yes we are in eastern Ontario, and the mosquitoes come out at dusk but are done by late August. No problems in the day though. Can get the gardening and tea drinking done all day long outside.

Earl Grey it is for you!.........my favorite. I am on this search for the best loose leaf Earl Grey and buy samples everywhere I go, better than collecting spoons. Can you believe it, but the best in my opinion comes from a little private independent grocer 15 minutes from my cottage........there's no place like home, clicking heels together.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 11:42AM
karemore55
Rose, have you tried just growing your own Monarda, or Scarlet Bee Balm, as it is more commonly known, and making your own Earl Grey tea? I guess you'd have to grow lots so they can handle losing some leaves. I did try it once with my own plants and it tasted pretty good. The Monarda didn't grow very well in my clay soil in Calgary, though, so it fizzled it out after a couple of years.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 6, 2014 at 11:57AM
rosecottagehome
Karen, you may be on to something here! Thanks for the tip. More to google ; ))) You really do have a pioneer heart girl!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 12:11PM
traditionalguy467
Hi Rosecottagehome,
Just wanted to tell you what a beautiful kitchen you have created. Everything is so tastefully thought out. I'm sure whatever choice you make, it will be stunning! My young niece and her husband are building their first home, and I referred her to this post for inspiration. The best to you!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 7, 2014 at 4:05PM
rosecottagehome
Why thank you so much traditionalguy467, your compliments are greatly appreciated. I wish your niece and her husband all the best with their labor of love in building their first home. How lucky they are! I loved every minute of the 6 months of planning I poured into re-designing our old Rosecottage into our home, every square inch inside and out. I learned so much and most importantly how to stretch a dollar and stay within the budget. This site was invaluable to me for inspiration as well as getting great advice and laughter from fellow Houzzers. Again, many thanks!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 5:41PM
Easy butter is to put the skimmed cream in a 1/2 gallon glass jar with lid. Let it come to room temp and then just put the jar in your lap and slosh it back and forth while watching your favorite move or series - butter in no time! Of course, you need to source a cow!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 7, 2014 at 5:50PM
rosecottagehome
decoenthusiaste............another pioneer at heart! Thanks. My hubby will think I have flipped between growing my own plants to make Earl Grey tea and now to slosh cream in a jar while watching TV! LOL
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 6:23PM
grobby
As beautiful as your kitchen is, I could live with the primer. Keep us posted.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 7, 2014 at 6:31PM
m3459
Farrow and Ball's Farrow's Cream is supposed to specifically complement old pine...
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 7, 2014 at 6:40PM
rosecottagehome
Farrow and Ball? Not certain if they supply in Canada? Great color! I am definitely swinging away from grey between SW- Ivoire and Farrow' Cream ........ will google to see, Thanks!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 6:46PM
rosecottagehome
1. SW- Ivoire
2. Farrow and Ball's Farrow Cream
-
CREAM · More Info
-
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 7:02PM
Rose- how about BM Dunmore Cream;)
Quiet Casual Home: Family Room · More Info

Dunmore Cream HC-29 · More Info
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 7, 2014 at 7:08PM
rosecottagehome
Yes, that one sits in between Ivoire and Farrow;s Cream! Thanks so much Margo for including the pic and sample. It is helpful when they are all posted so close to eachother. Benjamin Moore I can get in Canada : ))
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 7:20PM
rose, here is the Ivoire as Photoshop thinks it will look in your kitchen (which, BTW, is one of the most beautiful kitchens I've seen and should be featured on houzz). Ultimately, you know you have to paint samples and put them in the room because monitors are notoriously inaccurate. But at least this might give you an idea if you want to go yellow.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 7:58AM
BTW, that yellow square in the center of the pic above is the sample color you posted.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 7:59AM
rosecottagehome
Wow, groveraxle thanks so much!! I so appreciate that you did this: ))) It looks quite yellow on my monitor. Like you say, I definitely will buy samples to try first. Would you mind terribly to try karenmore's suggestion of BM's classic grey? No worries if you are busy. I will be buying the samples. Thanks again grover!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:12AM
Jessica
I've just painted my living room Sherwin Williams "Jersey Cream" and love the results, perhaps Groveraxle could show you that shade since I think it might work in your room too. It makes the whole room feel like it has a sunshiney glow to it.

Paint Color SW 6379 Jersey Cream from Sherwin-Williams · More Info
-
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 8:16AM
rosecottagehome
BTW grover, you must come by for tea and scones if visiting Ontario ; )) Thanks also for your kind compliments about my kitchen, planning it was such a labor of love. The old kitchen was a converted screened in porch with ceilings you could touch at the breakfast nook area. I will attached a few of the before pics. The before space was fine as a cottage, I tried to cussy it up best I could, but sure lovin sipping tea in my new Rosecottage kitchen!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:27AM
rosecottagehome
Jessica! Thanks so much. I saved the color to my idea book....which is growing. I do love a room that has a sunshiney glow and glad it worked out well in your living room: )
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:31AM
rose, grays are harder. I think I got the undertones right here, but lighting is a whole 'nother matter. Best I can do.

FWIW, the hardest part of painting in Photoshop as in real life is the prep. Once I've painted once, it's no problem to paint it again, and again...
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 8:39AM
m3459
FWIW, I like Margo's Dunmore Cream much better than the FB's Farrow Cream. It looks to be perfect. OT, isn't Farrow and Ball located in Canada?
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 8:52AM
rosecottagehome
grover...you're the best! The chalk grey looks nice, I am hoping the cream samples I get look less yellow, more subtle....with " understated elegance" as the paint site promised. LOL. Again many thanks!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:59AM
rosecottagehome
m3459, yes I like the paint sample color of the BM Dunmore Cream as well. The sample of Farrow's Cream looks to have more gold undertones in it. I have not seen Farrow and Ball paint in Canada.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:02AM
rosecottagehome
Grover.....since you said you have the prep done and it is easy to paint it again, do you think Margo's BM Dunmore Cream will look any different on the walls than the Ivoire? I am so hoping a little less yellow. But I totally get about monitor colors and lighting.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:05AM
Here's the thing, rose. I painted your walls Dunmore Cream below by adjusting the current color to get a match as exact as my eyes can make it. That part is easy. BUT, then I have to guess at the lighting and contrast, and that part is totally arbitrary and/or subjective. The only way you'll know is with actual samples in the room.

What I would say from looking at these renderings is that I like the gray tones better than yellowy creams next to the ceiling.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 10:50AM
rosecottagehome
Grover, I agree with you. On the monitor here, with the renderings, I also like the grey tone better against the ceiling. It may all look completely different once the samples go up against the walls and ceiling. Once I get back home, I will be heading to the paint shop. Once again many thanks for doing the mock up for me! 2 scones up for you grover!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 11:34AM
ProSource Memphis
We used Iviore in our Kemper Cabinet display here. The perimeter cabinets are Black Forest on Alder, and the hutch is Tidal Mist on Maple. The creamy brown toned yellow brought the two elements together well.

Kemper Showroom Vignette · More Info
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 11:37AM
rosecottagehome
Thanks for sharing the picture ProSource. The Ivoire looks great behind that Tidal Mist blue cabinet, which cleverly looks like a china cabinet. Gorgeous.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 11:49AM
I am holding my breath for a creamy yellow look... I like the cheeriness!!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 12:31PM
I will trade Grover my leg lamp for one of her sconces;)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 12:32PM
rosecottagehome
For you dear Margo, I will bake extra!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 1:59PM
rosecottagehome
I am also hoping BTW Margo, that the creamy yellow will look good once I get samples painted and put into place. I am all for cheery too and I do love the sample colors and sample room pictures. It's my darn pine ceiling. If it were white, yellow tone would be great. I am not painting the ceilings, so I will hope the samples look good. I will be back picking your brain when I get this ready: ))
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:03PM
Karen's gray looks great, I just am partial to yellow;)
No worries Rose, with the choices you have made so far you know what to do. I wish I had your kitchen;)
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 2:07PM
mefor
Hi rosecottage home, I still like SW full moon and muralo shantung
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 2:08PM
mefor
SW sea salt would also look good with the ceiling :)
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 2:11PM
rosecottagehome
mforr!!!!!!!!!!!! I was asking about where you have been, has any one seen you popping in or out of threads. Margo put out an all call for you as well. We heard you were over on the British threads. Glad to see you dropping by. Must pop into Margo's Easter Hat Poll thread. I think I did save those colors you have included, thank you BTW, I think these were the ones I asked you about a while back. i will check. Thanks and nice to see you back! How are you?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:13PM
Yes, Mforr, we have noticed you snubbed the Easter Bonnet thread. Come and make silly with us;))
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 2:24PM
karemore55
Rose, Your scones sound yummier than the prune danish they keep talking about on Easter bonnet thread. Who eats prune Danish anyway? Blecchhh!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 2:26PM
Shame on you Karen.... I love Prune Danish!!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 2:28PM
karemore55
Well that's one way to stay regular lol.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:39PM
I think Mforr is just jealous of my bonnets;P
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:40PM
rosecottagehome
Karen, prune Danish is a good way to consume dietary fiber, as well they ensure, you will only eat one! LOL. Myself, I would much rather strawberry scones. But I was really hoping Sophie might share her grandmother's recipe with me : )) grinning as I hint, hint.....
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:41PM
Sound Painting Solutions
What a great kitchen! A soft blue or light yellow. Look at BMs colors online.

Good luck:)
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 2:42PM
rosecottagehome
I think she must have a new British addiction, sigh.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:42PM
karemore55
I suppose I could pick the prunes off and give them to Margo....
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:44PM
rosecottagehome
No worries I will serve both types ; )
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:46PM
rosecottagehome
Thank you Sound Painting Solutions for your input and color suggestions.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 3:08PM
Ilene Sendy
rosecottagehome, this has been my first few days on houzz and did not know I could click on your name and visit your site. What a lovely home and kitchen. I love how cozy it is. The home we are in now is a craftsman style. We are selling since it is over 5000sf and we are empty nesters. The wall color thru out is sw Macademia. I have found most all colors go very well with it. If you like something a little more yellow than the beige colors shown, you might like this. It rally pops white trim and cabinets although the kitchen here is a medium hickory stain color and goes very well. As far as my post you are helping me with, we are having trouble finding painters reasonable and none want to tackle the kitchen cabinets!! Again thank you so much for jumping on and helping. So far you are the only one who commented.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 3:18PM
Ilene Sendy
oops not a good show of the color, maybe this pic will be better
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 3:22PM
rosecottagehome
Hi Ilene! Lovely wall color in your home, thank you for it's name. I am sorry to hear you are having difficulty finding a painter to do your kitchen cupboards for a reasonable price. Is this something you or your hubby might do as a DIY project? Many folks here on Houzz have had good advice on how to do this. You could start a new thread to inquire? Sometimes threads get over a thousand hits and others 1 or 2, sometimes it may be the timing a thread goes on, not sure. But don't be discouraged to try again.

My sister had her kitchen cupboards painted in Canada through Home Depot kitchen department. But I suggest you check the company they use to contract this work to and check their reviews. She didn't end up liking the color she picked, really was not anything wrong with the job. They came and repainted them!! Lowes may also do something like this? The other idea might be to try and find a kitchen cabinet maker in your area and get an estimate for painting. I wish you luck with this. keep trying, hopefully you will find someone: ) Thank you again for your kind compliments. Let me know how it goes.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 3:47PM
mefor
Hi rosecottagehome, I tried to paint your walls, but the lighting in the photo just wouldn't let the true color come up, tried to adjust it too, but it really wasn't happening :(
Best bet is to paint some posterboards or just swatches on the wall, and see how the colors look. :)
I've been here and there, it's good to see you and I love your kitchen, right up my alley :))
I'll keep peeking back, I can't wait to see what you end up with. See you in the houzz!! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 4:04PM
rosecottagehome
Ahhhh, thanks mforr for trying. Grover too said she had to make adjustments to her renderings. I think it may be all the white in my kitchen?? I definitely will be doing the samples on larger boards to see. Did you get your kitchen done? I remember the pictures of it when I asked your paint color. Real nice. Hope to see you on some of the threads again. You always gave great advice and are funny as heck too. LOL Thanks so much for dropping by mforr. You like tea and scones? : ))
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 5:14PM
mefor
I love tea and scones, how about I bring some for us right now? I can pretend it's afternoon still :))
My kitchen has been complete for years, I just posted that pic, because it's on my iPad and it showed the color so well, lol
I hope you take milk in your tea, because I've already poured for you :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 5:24PM
karemore55
Mforr, I see you have been busy on a teen bedroom dilemma of late?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 5:38PM
rosecottagehome
mforr! Strawberry scones with tea and milk AND in blue and white dishes!! Looks perfect for an afternoon visit. Margo wants chook to bring prune Danishes when they arrive. karenmore has taught me how to grow my own Earl Grey tea leaves and decoenthusiaste has taught me how to make fresh churned butter while watching TV. There will be a kitchen load of Houzzers dropping by for the tea party!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 5:43PM
rosecottage- I hope this is a casual event as I am clad in floral housecoat and oversized black Houzz slippers. My fingers orange from Cheetos, old computer on my lap') and of course my beloved bonnet.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 5:51PM
bubbasgma
HI All! Don't mind me......just a little imaginary friend who loves tea parties and strawberry scones! =)
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 5:53PM
rosecottagehome
bubbas! Please come too. Margo come as you are, but only if you have saved me some Cheetos!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 5:59PM
karemore55
We will be one big happy family, sitting around that lovely white table of yours!

Tea, scones and cheet-ohs - a match made in heaven!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 6:12PM
owFotografik
Beautiful kitchen :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 8, 2014 at 6:14PM
rosecottagehome
Hi Irene, I am replying to your question you asked me on the other thread regarding, if you could use the factory white cabinets with the white you have on your built ins across the room? Am I correct with that? Question: are the built ins a white or an off white/antique white? I am thinking that because your kitchen cabinets are across the room from your built ins, on the opposite end of the large open space, they would be fine. To be really sure, you should bring home a cabinet door sample you are considering and have a look to decide. Are you now thinking about new cabinets rather than repainting the original ones?
    Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 12:43PM
rosecottagehome
Irene, also.......if you write any of your questions you may have in your dilemma that you started, your dilemma will be bumped to the first page on Houzz again and more people will see it and possibly give more feedback and suggestions as well. Try around dinner time or 7pm when more folks are on: )) We will get this kitchen done! LOL Your house is gorgeous and the new cupboards or new color will really look great in your room!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 12:48PM
Ilene Sendy
Thank you Rosecottage, the trim and built ins are oil base and shiny white white. If I order new cabinets in white it seems most of them are not very white, all have a little tint to them except the thermafoil which I did not want. I will try tomorrow to post again near dinner time.
    Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 6:13PM
Ilene Sendy
Just love the cabinet over your stove, the glass doors, the color of your granite, everything is lovely. I have days to figure this out!!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 9, 2014 at 6:15PM
Ilene Sendy
what color white are your cabinets and is it a satin finish? Love the corbels also. Is baseboard trim same color? (I am in the South and they love their sweet tea but I prefer my earl gray also. !!!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 9, 2014 at 6:27PM
Sustainable Dwellings
I think your kitchen is very, very nice. I guess a soft buttery yellow would be OK.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 9, 2014 at 6:35PM
rosecottagehome
Ilene it is good that you can take your time with your kitchen project. If you are getting new cupboards made, I strongly suggest gathering inspirational photos from this site, putting them into your ideabook. I have hundreds stored in mine as I narrowed down what I was trying to achieve for my kitchen. If you are doing new cupboards, then you can add elements of design you really love into your plan. For example, raised cupboard height in different spots, the pantry or broom closet you thought you could use, you could do something more of a focal point over your stove if you plan to replace the existing microwave into your island. Glass doors can go into the plan too. So, collect inspirational pictures of things you love and want in your kitchen. Here was mine:
MacGibbon Kitchen 3 · More Info

To decide what will fit and where things will go, I suggest you make a floor plan to scale on graph paper. Home Depot gives away a fee Kitchen Planning package to help with this. You can cut out the standard sized cupboards, pantry or broom closet, appliances, island from the kit and you can move them around your graph paper to find out the best layout. Once you find this, tape them on.

Now you are ready for a kitchen design center, whether it be Home Depot, or a custom kitchen center to do a computer mock up of your ideas and floor plan lay out. They are so helpful to advise and give professional suggestions to your plan. I had mine done at Home Hardware in Canada and then after a few consults and tweekings, they gave me their estimate. I also took my plans to 2 other companies, one being Kraftmaid through Costco, as I wanted 3 estimates, and ended up going with an independent cabinet maker in my area.

So you see, you do need to take time and give it thought. I hope I have not over whelmed you! LOL A kitchen designer could also help you with layout suggestions. Let me know how you do.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 6:54PM
mefor
Rosecottagehome, this kitchen reminds me of you (and me, lol)
Here it is and here is a cake I baked this afternoon :)
You're very kind to give Ilene such good advice.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 9, 2014 at 7:07PM
mefor
Night :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 9, 2014 at 7:07PM
rosecottagehome
Earl Grey it is Ilene! My favorite. And then a glass of wine for all your hard work. My cupboards are a custom antique white paint I picked from my cabinet makers paint chips. I brought his paint chips and a cupboard door he did up for me in another antique white tone , along with a sample of the flooring to tag my granite at a granite supplier. That allowed me to pick out the shade of antique white that went with the granite I liked. It has satin finish and is a lacquer, it was sprayed on in his shop. I hope I have all these facts correct as my planning binder with all this info is not with me right now.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 7:10PM
rosecottagehome
mforr you are sweet. Did you seriously bake that cake?? Ok you will supply dessert when you come for tea! LOL Night, night........
1 Like    Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 7:12PM
mefor
Yes, I did :)
Here's your piece. With a tiny scoop of coconut pineapple ice cream and a few blueberries
Enjoy!! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 10, 2014 at 10:31AM
mefor
:)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 10, 2014 at 10:31AM
rosecottagehome
mforr!!! Thank you. My heavens girl you are quite a baker!! Now don't tell me you made the pineapple ice cream yourself too....or did you?? AND I am loving your blue/white/yellow plates!!!! A girl after me own heart. We must go shopping together too after tea! LOL, Mforr you in Australia???
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 1:45PM
rosecottagehome
Mforr that is not your kitchen is it??? I recall a red island from another post??
1 Like    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 1:46PM
My bet is Mforr not only churned that ice cream from scratch, but grew the blueberries organic, and hand kilned the plates;)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 10, 2014 at 1:48PM
apple_pie_order
Those blue plates! gorgeous presentation.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 10, 2014 at 1:52PM
rosecottagehome
LOL, LOL, Margo, I wish I could bake like Mforr....I am drooling from that picture of her cake and ice cream !!! I think karenmore is planning to bring fresh churned butter.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 2:00PM
mefor
Hahaha, no, I didn't make the ice cream, lol. Haagen Dazs Pineapple Coconut. It's delicious. Funnily enough I didn't grow the blueberries or "throw" the plate. Also that was just a picture of a kitchen that I thought you and I would like, my kitchen is the one you saw the other day in the French thread :))
But I am glad you liked my plate. It's Wedgewood "Citrons"
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 10, 2014 at 4:39PM
test
I say gray all the way. A lighter, more blue gray.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 10, 2014 at 4:42PM
mefor
This is what the rest of the set looks like, without the accent blue rim. It should appear whiter, but I can't get it to look good with the phone camera and the lighting :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 10, 2014 at 4:52PM
rosecottagehome
Mforr they look vintage...they are lovely.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 5:00PM
rosecottagehome
Erica thank you for your input I am already collecting paint chips and do have one as you have suggested: )
    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 5:01PM
jfoster21
I really love the classic grey one of the earlier comments suggested!
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 12, 2014 at 6:05PM
duffy2009
I've been lurking here, reading all the comments. Suddenly I am very hungry. Wondering why. You have a lovely kitchen - looks very inviting. I think the B.M. Classic Gray that was suggested earlier would look stunning. I lean more toward the grays or blue grays ( not too dark) with your ceiling. Does this suggestion qualify me for an invitation to tea? I don't bake (or cook really) but I like good company & food.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 13, 2014 at 5:46AM
rosecottagehome
duffy welcome to the tea party! I appreciate your input and vote for a paint color for my kitchen. Once I get the paint samples up on the walls, it should be easier to make the right decision. This tea party is no baking required! LOL
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 5:51AM
duffy2009
Thank you! Can't wait.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 13, 2014 at 5:58AM
Lainie D'Eon
rosecottagehome, I think your kitchen is lovely & well planned. Great job!! When I look at you photos the kitchen ceiling seems to take center stage. The pine looks out of place with the more formal cherry floors. I feel that you problem with choosing a wall color could be there. Have you considered painting the ceiling a white shade? Then any wall color could be used.
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 13, 2014 at 6:12AM
rosecottagehome
Thank Leona for your input. The floors are actually a dark brown finish with a slight scraped texture. Originally when we had the ceiling put in I did plan to paint them all white throughout the entire cottage, that is why they are clear pine with no knots. However, once I saw them up....and they are way up there high, my hubby and I loved them as is. So we plan to leave them, as they enhance the cottage/lakeside feel of our home. But you are right, they are making paint color choices a little more of a challenge.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 8:02AM
Lainie D'Eon
Th reason that I suggested to paint the ceilings white is that my daughter has her wood ceilings painted white & it actually adds to the cottage look. Maybe just the kitchen ceiling painted. If someone on here has photo shop maybe they would do it up with the ceiling white & a nice wall color just to see what the result would be .
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 13, 2014 at 8:59AM
rosecottagehome
I will mull this over.............thanks again, food for thought.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 9:06AM
Rosecottage- where are you at with the paint selection?
Happy Easter;))
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 19, 2014 at 6:08AM
rosecottagehome
Hi Margo! We actually just arrived home from our trip to Florida and so after son gets married next weekend, I will be getting out to get paint chips and samples to try to decide.
I posted my dilemma from Florida. Nice to be back home with the family for Easter. Happy Easter Margo to you and to your family!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 6:00PM
mefor
Happy Easter, rosecottagehome :)
I just got home from Florida last night, luckily for me the temps have gone back up to the 60's in NJ. i missed the frost, freeze and snow last week, hooray!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 19, 2014 at 6:18PM
karemore55
Omigosh, Rosecottage - your son is getting married next weekend? I'm so very happy for you! This is quite an event - is this the first child you will see getting married, or have you been through this before? I'm sure it must be a mixed bag of emotions, hopefully with 'joy' winning out!

Congratulations, and all good wishes to you and your family!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 19, 2014 at 6:43PM
rosecottagehome
Hi mforr and karenmore!!! Happy Easter to you both as well and all good things wished for your families.
mforr, where in Florida were you?? We were in Venice on the Gulf side. It was gloriously hot there when we left and ice on our lake at the cottage when we returned late last week. We did thankfully miss the snow though that fell.
karenmore thank you for your good wishes on my son's upcoming wedding next weekend. I am so happy for him, his future wife is such a gem, we love her to bits as well as her family. They have been together for 5 years and are expecting their first child early June. May not get that kitchen painted till later!! LOL He is my youngest, daughter has been married for almost 6 years with 2 young children and another on the way in Sept. It will be a busy summer up at Rosecottage this year. Yes, Karen, I will have tissues in my bag for my tears of joy and it will make my son laugh: )) Do you have kids married yet? You morff? Margo I know you mentioned your son when he was in grade 5, I assume he is in grade 9 at least by now. LOL
1 Like    Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:32PM
karemore55
Rosecottage, No, I don't officially have married kids - both of my oldest daughters are engaged, though. They have been living with their partners for several years - it seems as if people aren't in a hurry to get married these days, which is just fine by me!

We do have one grandson who just turned 1 a couple of weeks ago. I just got back from a 9 day visit with the kids in Calgary and omg, I am so worn out! There is definitely a time and a season for everything, and looking after 1-year-olds is waaaay past my "season" LOL.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 19, 2014 at 7:45PM
rosecottagehome
Laughing karenmore! You are so right, raising wee ones is a young person's game, isn't it. If we could only bottle that energy, my mom always said. LOL
Wow two weddings on the horizon for you. Stock up on tissues! Thought you may be away, missed your funny comments in and out of threads.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:58PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Hi rosecottagehome. Consider Benjamin Moore HC 36, Hepplewhite Ivory. It works with pine as well as with both warm and cool colors. It will blend nicely with the elements of your kitchen and allow a pleasant visual transition out your windows to the various colors of the seasons.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 19, 2014 at 8:10PM
rosecottagehome
Sue from Scott Design! Thank you for the suggestion. I am in the gathering process of ideas. Do you like my lighting???? You were the one who gave me GREAT advise on lighting a year ago when the cottage was getting renovated. I was uncertain about the size of urn for over an island I had only seen on graph paper. You posted two visuals and I ended up picking the right size. Also, you gave me ideas for over the sink wall lights and taught me design rules about size of chandelier for over a round table. So I thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I am delighted how the lighting worked so well into the over all look of the kitchen. Happy Easter!
    Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 8:25PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Of course I remember. You have always been very attentive to everyone's comments. It was a pleasure working with you back then and yes, your lighting does look very nice...glad you're happy with it. Your whole kitchen looks great! Does it seem like a full year ago you were in sawdust and open walls!? I've been keeping my eye on your progress. You seem to be the kind of person who will always have a project. Enjoy. Happy Easter to you as well.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 19, 2014 at 9:11PM
Yes, rosecottage, I have only one child. My son is 23 but not married.
I lived in Naples, Florida for about 6 months back in 1980. Very scenic and expensive;) Sanibel Island and Marco Island were two of my favorite places. How far is Venice from Naples Rosecottage?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 19, 2014 at 9:20PM
gracey999
Wow, my friend has almost that same kitchen. She has some sort of shaker cabinets and she just painted her walls a gray/blue...that is her kit, eating area and living room all the way up the ceiling...looks beautiful. BTW the gray/blue is more of a muted (darker) grey-blue, not the lighter grey-blues...with so much light you can do that...it will look gorgeous !
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 19, 2014 at 9:28PM
rosecottagehome
gracey thanks for the paint suggestion, sounds lovely; )
    Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 4:58AM
rosecottagehome
Margo, that's right I remember you mentioning before about living in Naples for a spell. Venice is about 2 hours north of Naples, north of Myers, closer to Sarasota. I have not yet been to the two Islands, but hope to do a wee cycle on Sanibel next winter, I hear it is real nice.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 5:18AM
rosecottagehome
LOL Sue at Scott Design.......never really want to be without some sort of a project, either in side or out in the garden. I guess that's why I love hanging out on Houzz. Take care.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 5:31AM
lnsail
I think the pale ivory shown in mforr 's kitchen picture (along with her cake) would go well with your ceiling and white cabinets. It would be less yellow. Forget the tea, I want to try the pineapple coconut ice cream! The scones with jam are tempting though...
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 5:39AM
rosecottagehome
Insail, you inspired me.....rainy day....time to bake! But I will be brewing a cup of the Earl.....whistle while you work.......
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:10AM
rosecottagehome
Productive day in Rosecottage kitchen, not painting yet......baking instead, thanks to Insail's inspirational reminder of food. Homemade Italian pizzas to bring to son's wedding this weekend. Relaxing with tea and wish I had a scone or mforr's slice of cake with coconut pineapple ice cream!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 1:24PM
Denita
ummm! This is when smell-o-vision would be appropriate! :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 1:26PM
mefor
You might need to make more pizzas, we all are drawn to your thread, I can imagine the aroma and I'm on my way.
Have a happy, happy wedding, congratulations to your son and almost daughter-in-law :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 1:35PM
Ilene Sendy
Scones are ok but homemade pizza!!!!! Now you have my attention, my husband and I have owned deli's, restaurants, and a wedding facility but I have never tackled pizzas!!!! I guess we will have to go out and get a Domino's tonight. Still loving this kitchen, I wish I had more room and the budget to add the features over the stove. I was told hood unit would be an additional $1200 and that did not have corbels.
PS, I cant figure out how to BUMP up my posts on my site, I had more questions, submitted and it went into computerland somewhere!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 2:45PM
Ilene Sendy
Congrats to your family on upcoming wedding
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 2:47PM
rosecottagehome
Ilene go to your thread, you can access it on Your Houzz page, top right corner, or type in the search box, first click advice or discussions, the title of your thread and you should be able to get it. Then comment in the bottom box or just say, update, answering questions and once you submit, it will go to the first page again on the advice forum.
As far as your kitchen, be sure to get three estimates. Did you know that Costco contracts out kitchen cabinets and kitchen layouts. I had one from them and they came in second. Also, your current layout is nice and that looks like a very good quality microwave above stove now. Let us know about your progress.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 3:18PM
mefor
I bumped it :)
    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 3:28PM
rosecottagehome
Well mforr, you are just sooooo nice. It would have been easier for me to do the same rather than type so many instructions to Ilene : ))
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 3:41PM
mefor
Now she knows how to do it too, she can get it going when it starts to falter :)
If she does it once or twice a day, probably around 10:30-11:00 eastern time, and again around 8 pm eastern, maybe she'll get more "traffic" :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 4:03PM
Hey rosecottage- those pizza's are looking mighty fine;))) If one is missing, well....you know, I could not help myself...
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 5:01PM
karemore55
Well, I was able to help myself......to one more of your pizzas. Heck, just call Dominos so we can eat them all!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 5:11PM
Karen- *slapping hand*
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 5:16PM
karemore55
The devil made me do it!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 5:45PM
bubbasgma
I LOVE pizza!! Maybe she won't miss a tiny little piece?
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 5:56PM
rosecottagehome
OK, OK....between you bunch and hubby, beating him off with spatula, OK, I also stole a few small slices, I could only half fill my fridge freezer. Still be plenty, said I'd make 3, made 4 just in case........hope the sun is shining tomorrow, I'm baked out!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 6:06PM
kathy
I just read this all the way through! I don't have paint suggestions for you rosecottage, sorry , but two things. I can get Farrow and Ball paint here in Oakville - I don't know where you are in eastern Ontario, but I would imagine there's got to be a dealer in Ottawa or Kingston.

Second - to go back to the whipping cream into butter. My son's grade 3 class (10 years ago!) made a little jar of butter on their 'pioneer' day. There were various activities throughout the day, but that jar of whipping cream was constantly in motion by one child or another. One of the activites was making bread - so at the end of the day we had fresh bread and newly churned butter - yum! Thank you Madame Black!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 6:16PM
rosecottagehome
kathy, thanks for the tip on Farrow and Ball being in Ontario. What retailer carries this? Or do they have their own outlet? Oh no, more choices. LOL.
Also thanks for sharing your son's pioneer story of fresh churned butter and homemade bread!
    Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:14PM
janiehburton
Look at a Sherwin Williams color called Copen Blue. Hope I have spelled it correctly! It is a beautiful soft blue/green that would give subtle peaceful color without competing for attention and upstaging the other elements in your elegant kitchen. My neighbor used this in her white kitchen and it is really lovely!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    April 22, 2014 at 8:16PM
rosecottagehome
Thanks janiehburton for the name, will have a gander; )
    Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 3:19AM
beachlily
I'm with Margo. English breakfast tea please:)
Rose cottage...your kitchen is as lovely as your name....truly one of the prettiest spaces! I love clear blue with sunshine accents....I don't know a specific color to paint but please post pix!

Please pass the clotted creammmmm
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 24, 2014 at 6:53AM
Hahah beachlily- no rest for the weary... let's get that fireplace mantel done;))
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 24, 2014 at 6:54AM
Rosecottage- where are you these days?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 24, 2014 at 6:55AM
rosecottagehome
Margo, I waived at you on another dilemma about a chandy in a keeping room, LOL!!. I had to go into your profile dear to see if it was indeed you from your new profile pic! Oh la la girl, you kept to your word way back when I suggested chocolate for you and Mr. Mouzz in February. You look fit as a fiddle out there in the outdoors. How are you?? So nice you dropped by : ))

On the Rosecottage kitchen painting update.....I have picked up several paint chips, some suggested if I found them. I move like a turtle at times.......too many projects, and I am, yes you guessed it, out in the glorious sunshine in the gardens with my cuppa Earl Grey tea planting, puttering and planning new gardens in my mind........do I sound retired?? LOL.

beachlily, of course drop by any time here for English Breakfast tea, I have so many types. I may get around to baking some strawberry scones since here in Ontario strawberry season is coming at the end of June. Although if Mforr drops in, she is one heck of a baker, I will ask her to bring her cake, pictured above. Yoo hoo, Mforr!!

Nice to hear from you ladies, Margo when do you embark on your RV journey?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 9:24AM
I did post a before and after pic on my NY resolution thread. I lost about 60lbs. but may have to still go for a few more lol. I am most pleased with myself that I actually stuck with it and stayed the course. My 3 goals were 5 months, 50 lbs, size 12. I hit all 3 but maybe a size 10, we shall see.
As far as the RV journey- OH how I would love that.... riding around the country *waving*, visiting Houzzers....handing out leg lamps...if I could get Karemore and bubbas to commit, I would be on the road lol.............beep... beep.... at rosecottage's for tea and scones;))
Keep us posted when you paint, in the meantime enjoy the gardening and of course Houzz;))
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 24, 2014 at 1:06PM
Margo, you look fabulous, dahling! I truly mean it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 1:11PM
Thank you Grover, might I offer you a leg lamp?;))
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 24, 2014 at 1:12PM
rosecottagehome
Well if not a summer trip for tea and scones, strawberries for you Margo, then maybe a Caribbean cruise out of south Florida this February! Really! I am actually going to organize a ladies cruise for a week to the Caribbean. Would be a hoot if a few Houzz gals joined in the fun. Just planting seeds for mulling over, and see what may grow....................

Margo, 60 lbs!!!!!! That is amazing!!!!! Congratulations, that is hard work. You look fantastic!!
They do have salad bars on cruise ships. LOL
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 1:23PM
armygirl1987
Go Margo go. In my Jamaican voice. Gal yu luk good no rahtid.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 1:54PM
I like the Jamaican voice;))
1 Like    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:09PM
Margaret B
Wow! You look marvelous! Congratulations!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:14PM
karemore55
Armygirl - translation please???
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:17PM
karemore55
Rotted?
karemore55
Ratted?
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:18PM
Thanks Margaret, if you want to see the before and after side by side, I put it on my thread;)
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/779640#2454432
    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:19PM
karemore55
Hello, Rose - fellow Canadian and terrific design sense person! I will take strawberries too, but you can add whip cream to mine. Unlike Margo, I have no self-control!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 24, 2014 at 2:20PM
Karemore- just say you are on the Atkins Diet and then you can have whipped cream;)) without guilt.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:22PM
karemore55
Ahahaha - I might back myself into a corner doing that. Everyone will want to see Before & After pics lol!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 24, 2014 at 2:27PM
karemore55
Got tired of waiting for Army's translation - so rahtid means bad. I guess you were saying, "no bad"? Kind of like "no sh--"?
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:30PM
karemore55
See:
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:31PM
armygirl1987
karemore-you are too funny and was outside planting so miss this.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:00PM
armygirl1987
Translation-Girl you look good. Sometimes Jamaican words do not translate. I was saying that she looks really good.
rosecottagehome
Hey Karen and armygirl! How is it going out west Karen? Is it Edmonton or Calgary, or am I in the wrong province all together? Armgirl is it getting hot in Florida? Have you had much rain? I planted 3 Lantana trees at our place in Venice and hope they are surviving. Your gardens are coming along nicely last time I looked.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 6:56PM
karemore55
Rose, Neither - I used to live in Calgary, but am now in Kelowna. So beautiful here - the only two things that would make it better are 1) my two oldest kids were out here with me, and 2) they had a Pottery Barn.

Army - why do I have the feeling that if I ever got to Jamaica, I'd feel like they were speaking a foreign language lol!

And I would like to get there some day!
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 7:05PM
rosecottagehome
Kelowna- home of Big White! Do you ski Karen? I have not skiied there but was through Kelowna in the summer many moons ago. Jamaica........ Karen, you may want to consider a ladies Caribbean cruise this February. LOL.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 7:18PM
karemore55
No, Rose, I don't ski. I am the world's biggest chicken! My husband and youngest daughter ski at Big White and love it.

Carribean cruise? You do know I am afraid of water? (see note above about being a big chicken).

I think we will be in Mexico at that time. We gave it a try last winter and loved it. So, I think we are headed back there this year. Husband and daughter learned how to surf, so they're anxious to get back to that. I..........sit on the beach (again, I refer you to above chicken comment):)))
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 24, 2014 at 8:08PM
armygirl1987
Rain has been so so but I think we will get it this year. Rose-don't forget to let me know when you back in Venice will definitely drive up to see you.
kare-if you love Mexico you would love Jamaica.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 24, 2014 at 9:07PM
rosecottagehome
Will do armgirl girl! It would be great to meet you. Hope weather is only rain on and off and a quiet season for severe storms. It was predicted to be a quiet hurricane season this year. Good luck with your gardens! Will be back down next winter again.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 3:28AM
rosecottagehome
Karenmore, LOL well chickens who play it safe, usually keep their limbs and joints in tact a little longer. Although my hubby still kills it on the double black diamond runs and his are in better condition than mine.

Mexico is so nice. I remember you went last winter and your funny comment that you should be packing for it rather than being on Houzz. Which part did you visit?
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 3:34AM
karemore55
Good morning, Rose! We started out in Nuevo Vallarta, but after husband and daughter discovered surfing, we moved on up the road to Sayulita. We fell in love with the place - an authentic little village with chickens wandering around, bumpy cobblestone roads, and some gas truck that would drive through town twice a day blasting some jingle from a megaphone so people would know who it was.

And the food! So good! I think I gained weight, though.....
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 25, 2014 at 8:51AM
karemore55
Army, is there surfing in Jamaica? My daughter thinks she wants to surf for the rest of her life now, so is planning university, career - the rest of her life -'around coastal locations lol!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 25, 2014 at 8:52AM
rosecottagehome
Hi Karen! Nothing wrong with daughter's career goal to be on the coast....living the dream always good, if you can get work that is. Some times reality bites, but for now dream big as a student.

Sounds like the west coast of Mexico by the description of surfing. If so.....south, central or North on the coast? It is rugged, mountainous and beautiful! Ahhhh, must return some day.

Are the fruit trees in BC past bloom time? They are just out now in Ontario, as well as Lilacs....the air smells amazing!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 10:41AM
karemore55
Yes, the fruit trees are done blooming. Lilacs started a week or so ago. And, roses are now blooming. Such a change from Calgary - and such a treat!

We (daughter and I) are poking around looking at universities in coastal areas - San Diego, Hawaii even. She might go I to law, so she could probably practice anywhere. At this point, she's not sure she wants to do all the work to become a lawyer though. Hmmm.....surf-bum lawyer........interesting concept!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 10:46AM
rosecottagehome
Surf-bum lawyer, kind of an oxymoron, but it could work : )
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 10:53AM
karemore55
Yes, never heard of a Type A surf-bum!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 10:57AM
karemore55
She is very good at arguing,though. In many ways, law is a good fit!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 10:58AM
rosecottagehome
LOL, she could be the first Type A surf-bum lawyer! Actually, getting out on the surf board after a week at law would be a great break! She is going to need to make good bucks if she is hoping to live on the coast. You will have to see if you can get your daughter one of these little solar powered Hula Girls to place on at her window to keep her motivated through the grueling years of study at university!
    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 11:06AM
armygirl1987
Kare- There is surfing in Jamaica but it is normally hours away from the huge tourist spots.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 4:52AM
rosecottagehome
Paint chip update........I have narrowed it down with the chips I have to 4 the two lighter of the cream/ beige or the two grey with blue undertones.

I love the SW Ivoire, but it is too dark, so am considering the lighter one beside it, Navajo White, as well as Cottage Cream by Bher. These are warm colors.

The blue greys are SW Ice Cube or Olympus white. These are cool colors. I will buy the paint samples to try on bigger poster boards.

I am thinking the cream/beige emphasis the tone of the wood in the ceiling too much??Don't want to paint the high ceilings. The lighter SW Navajo white a shade up from Ivoire, looks real nice with the ceiling, the granite counters and the floors. The grey/blue gives the kitchen a color pulled from all my collections of dishes. I will post once I get bigger samples. Thoughts so far?
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:01AM
rosecottagehome
Closer look.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:02AM
rosecottagehome
Trying to get ceilings in with cupboards and the blue dishes. Scroll over to enlarge.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:07AM
fernchap
Rose Cottage, I read your request on the green tile page and saw your photo and final chip choices. I want to steer you away from the blues and colours you have. They will make your room feel dull and they don't work well with your gorgeous wood ceiling.

If you like neutrals and beiges, go more on the vanilla, toffee or mauve side. Even lilac white will make your woods and whites absolutely sing! Ask for Lavender Frost an bring some chips home. I am on the run and kind of speed read your dialogue here, but noticed "Naples yellow" mentioned. This colour is beautiful in any light and time of day. It has a chameleon effect IF the tints are true. This is why artists use these pure tints to bring scenery to life. You will need a high end quality paint for that effect.

Naples Yellow has a psychological effect as all colours do. This colour in particular evokes friendly, inspiring, joyful and restful at the same time. It works well with earth tones and fauna tones. It looks great with white, black and metals and stone hues of all kinds. It likes jewel tones too. It brings pastels and saturated colours to life and stands up to darks and brights well. It draws you in at sunset and sunrise. It is a sunset colour.

The ivory and cream samples on the page will read as beige or almond in your natural lighting and evening lighting. But they would be perfect in a bright sunlit kitchen. Your room reads "cool" in this daylight and so does the electric lighting.

mforr's samples of Full Moon SW and Moralo Shantung SW are closer to what would work but will still read on the beigey side if what I see on my computer screen here is the exact colour seen on a physical sample chip.

I see Naples, a richer and warmer version of cream and ivory, would work well with your beautiful wood ceiling, your wood floor, white cabinetry, your marble countertops and island, and stainless steel appliances.

There is only one way to trust your choice and boost your confidence here……

I hope you will place these samples all over the room at different times of day, move them around, butted next to every element in the room, even your windows. There are OTHER colours too that you may be surprised would look great but I don't know what other rooms are juxtiposed to your kitchen.

To see what I mean, if you are inclined, go to an artist supply store and look for that colour (which sells mediums in a concentrated form of pure tints) in watercolour, acrylic, oil, coloured pencil, oil pastel and chalk pastel mediums to get an idea of its effect when placed next to the other the other tints. Look at glossy and matt as they give a different effect (chalk pastel).

I would love to see what you come upwith on the after shot. WHAT A GLORIOUS KITCHEN TO COVET! No wonder you need to be picky - this particular kitchen deserves it and ought to be in Better Homes and Gardens when you are done!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 8:09AM
rosecottagehome
fernchap thank you for your insights and I will look for some of the samples you suggested to try as well. I am in no hurry. I will do as you suggested and mull it all over at different times of day. You must be: a) an artist or b) a paint color specialist or c) just real talented with color! LOL Thanks so much: ) Rose.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:17AM
fernchap
all of the above! LOL.
have fun
and give me a shout
when you gett'er done
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 8:20AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Here is a curve ball.... I think you need to stain the ceilings darker. I don't like the way they look with the rest of the kitchen at all. It is a beautiful room! love the blue dishes! I really like Margo's Dunmore Cream paint idea....
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:24AM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottage home .. so much fun to complete a room.

I have 2 bedrooms "torn apart right now... can't find time to get the painting done.. 5 grandkids are taking up my time (2 of them are 6 month old twins).. I help out with babysitting a lot.. but having fun.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing your color..

Do you want to accent the ceiling? If so paint it a different color. If using the blue it would really accent the ceiling.

If you don't want to draw attention to it...paint the walls the same color..walls lighter than the ceiling will lower the ceiling ...walls darker than the ceiling will lift the ceiling.

My choice would be to paint the ceiling a white but I understand your choice since it is so high. Although when painting the walls will you not need staging since the walls are as high as the ceiling (maybe need to hire a painter)

Are you planning on painting the wood strip that is in between the window & the casing.

What are the color of your floors.. could we have a close up on them?
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:32AM
rosecottagehome
Sustainable Dwellings thanks for the suggestion. I never thought about staining them at all. Originally I was planning to have all the ceilings painted white, thus the clear pine, no knots. The entire cottage/home has these high cathedral ceilings of clear pine and when I saw them up with the white dry walled walls, I loved them. They are over all pretty high up there, so with large expanses of windows and wall, they are really not in your face so much. We are on a lake and the ceilings keep that cottage feel to our home. So I am going to try to work with them as is. I will look for Margo's Dunmore Cream to try as well as a few suggested by fernchap. Thanks for your reply.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:55AM
rosecottagehome
Thanks Leona for the tips on shades of color. I do not want the ceilings to be emphasized or appear lower. I think they work for me because they are way up there. So I will keep your advice in mind when I am looking at the color samples : ) Good stuff. The floors are mid tone brown. Again when I picked these out, it was with the thought of painting the ceilings white, but they will have to do.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 9:12AM
rosecottagehome
The pic is not so accurate, they do not have such a red tinge to them.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 9:14AM
condomary
@rosecottage - here are the Farrow and Ball stores in Ontario.
http://us.farrow-ball.com/pws/StoreFinder.ice?countryRegion=Ontario&findStore=findStore&country=CA&page=stores&stockType=P
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 9:37AM
Lainie D'Eon
@ rosecottagehome.. when I look at your lovely kitchen I see a disconnect between the floor/cupboards, marble counter top & the ceiling. the 2 different woods just don't seem to agree since there is no other "wood" in between the two. This will give you some problems when trying to chose a wall color.
Is your ceiling stained now or does it just have a clear varnish? If they are already stained or coated it would be difficult to stain them darker since a stain will not penetrate the treatment that would already be on them. "Staining darker" would lower the ceiling.
Good luck, I know selecting a wall color can be the most difficult thing about completing a room.
Some people paint the walls & then try to decorate around that.. now that is a challenge!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 10:24AM
karemore55
Good morning, Rose! I don't know why, but the yellows just aren't working for me. I don't know - I think they might take away from the beauty of the pine ceiling? Or, maybe blue and yellow just isn't a favourite combination for me?

Your cabinets appear to be a crisp white, not an ivory, so I'm also not sure ivory is the way to go on the walls either.

I am kind of liking the blue-grays, however, and I'm intrigued by the idea of using a pale lavender or violet, as suggested by fernchap.

Whatever you use, I think it will have to be very, very light. We want your beautiful blue & white pieces to pop!

I'll be interested to hear everyone else's opinions
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 10:31AM
fernchap
Rose, I agree with Leona. The walls are the least thing to worry about plus it's never fatal if you don't like the colour…you can try try try try as many times as you like and a colour for each mood and season if you want…..but you will have trouble un-staining and painting wood ceilings and floors.

Rose's cabinetry appears crisp white because ivory's and creams will read cold in the lighting she has in her kitchen. Ivory also pops with the lavender frosts.
the more I look the more I am thinking lavender frost. I used it once in a similar lighted scheme and layout. It had a camelion effect too, as I had said naples is not the only one.

Remember I said that you may be surprised to try other colour ideas? May be interesting to you: Recently I worked out a colour scheme for a low naturally lit bathroom with existing all white cabinetry, a slate grey marble vanity top and stained blonde cedar ceiling with walnut flooring, ivory towels --- in creamsicle orange!….but that is a bathroom and not a serious kitchen such as yours -- definitely not the colour at all that the owner was even willing to consider. Well, I convinced them to try it and they LOVE IT day and night!!!!!

It just proves a point about how fun taking a left turn can be.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 10:33AM
I am with Karemore on rethinking the yellows. Not liking them up against the ceiling.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:38AM
anne dee
another chirp with a suggestion
( I have not read all the posts ;-(
this pic , to me, appears to have the same ambience as your kitchen
and is painted in farrow and ball powder
Golf Club Renovation · More Info
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 10:40AM
Maybe just paint the ceiling blue Rose;))
Wm Ohs Hampton Classics · More Info
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:42AM
anne dee
It appears that Margo has doffed her hats!! ;-))
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 10:43AM
Hi Anne dee *waving*;)
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:43AM
rosecottagehome
Thanks condomary for the store locator for Farrow and Ball. I will check out the site.

Thanks Leona, I am planning to hire a painter for the job because of how high the walls go. The flooring color choice may be a color mistake now that I opted not to paint the ceilings white, but they do go nicely with the granite and the kitchen cupboards, so I may think about having the ceilings in the kitchen painted a shade of white, white washed?? Not sure yet. They are the raw wood, no finish, so will take a finish easily. The kitchen has a window style wall opening above a counter and doorway into the living room dining room, but a different colored ceiling in the kitchen would be fine. I will need to give this thought. Thanks for taking the time to give me your ideas. Appreciated.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:44AM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottagehome.. what I have done & suggested to others is.. when you have narrowed your choice down to one .. get a quart & paint a 3 ft. strip down the wall in a spot that will encompass the cup boards , ceiling & floor, put some of your lovely blue dishes against the wall & see what you think.. you have a lot to things to co-ordinate.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 10:49AM
fernchap
Rose, Leona's idea is something that I would try for myself. I think its the best and easiest way for you.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 10:55AM
karemore55
I love that ceiling color that Margo posted. Now that would be bold, and would it ever look pretty with your darker floors!

Also liking the whitewash idea - hmmm.......can't decide which idea I like better.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 10:58AM
karemore55
Good morning, Anne! Good morning, Margo!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:59AM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottage..
YES!! I am glad you are entertaining the "idea" of painting the ceiling!!

Your choice of flooring is definitely NOT a mistake! It is great with you counters & cupboards.. looks very put together.

Is there anyone on this post that could photoshop the painted ceiling look in for you? Has "groveraxel" comment on any of you posts, she is good at that.

As I mentioned somewhere before that my daughter has painted ceiling & it does give a very cottage look.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 10:59AM
Lainie D'Eon
@fernchap.. glad you liked my hint... this helps people a lot ..it is so hard to picture a color from a small paint chip.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:02AM
rosecottagehome
Hi Karen and Margo. I too feel the same about the yellows....too much and will highlight the ceiling's pine too much, if I leave it the way it is now. Hubby LOVES the ceilings, so white may not happen up there....or blue Margo. LOL. So, I may lean towards the light grey/blues. Cupboards are an antique white Karen, no white white....so many whites!

Thanks Anne for the Farrow and Ball color. Will check out the sample. Margo has not only doffed her hats, but a heap of weight too. I find you must scroll over her profile pic now, she is so dang skinny. LOL. She looks fab!

fernchap, these walls are getting painted once and will need to last a while. I can't imagine what my estimate will be.......the entire place has builders white primer on every wall and the walls are too high for hubby and I to attempt the billy goat climb up an extra long extension ladder : ) LOL. Heck just yesterday I slipped outside on a wet grassy slope gardening and tumbled the small slope. Didn't break any flowers, or limbs, thank heavens, but I am doing the strap on ice packs today. This mishap has confirmed the need to hire a painter : ))
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:03AM
fernchap
I piece four chips together to make a bigger sample, many different samples that I am drawn to and think will work, and put them on each wall next to each element (floor to ceiling, including windows) so I can view them at several times of the day in natural light and home lighting.

I begin eliminating samples each time I look during the day. Then I am eventually left with that one magic sample. Works for me every time!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 11:16AM
karemore55
Well, going back to the light grey-blues, here is Whirlpool which darkens to a violet, and Marilyn's Dress which is a little more blue in its base. Third pic is a room painted Marilyn's Dress.

Btw, does anyone know if there is some movie reference here with the name, Marilyn's Dress? Just seems like such an unusual name for a paint color!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 11:17AM
rosecottagehome
Leona, great painting tip, will do for sure. I have a girlfriend coming this weekend who has great color sense and will run all ideas by her. May have to keep plan for white or whitewashed ceilings in the girl vault until job done and send hubby on a golf trip while painter here. This is how we survived the 6 months of planning the major renovation. After our first argument about the very first reno idea, hubby suggested the next day.......if you don't mind, you can do all the planning. You love that sort of thing, I hate that sort of thing, get what you like, don't tell me, and I will sign the cheque. Well I didn't send him away golfing for 6 months, but I never told him a thing, never showed him a thing, did all the meetings with contractor and cabinet maker myself, researched, shopped, tagged granite, picked out everything on my own, no arguments between us. I loved having free artistic freedom and hubby loved not having to deal with all the nitty gritty details and decisions it takes. Once I knew our budget, I worked within it. Then we were away in Florida for 6 months while it was being renovated and rebuilt. We had a peek visit at Christmas and then he basically walked in to the finished new place the following April....to see the great reveal. What did he like the best....the ceilings. OK, now I am thinking I better leave them in the kitchen.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:24AM
anne dee
Karemore
this could be and answer to yr question
“Marilyn’s Dress” – Marilyn’s singing-to-the-President dress? (Benjamin Moore 2125-60
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:24AM
rosecottagehome
Thanks for the paint tip fernchap. Good idea, as you can see I only have one wee sample.

Karen....you know, Marilyn's famous dress she is holding down over the subway vent, the famous photo that is everywhere. BTW, who is the maker of the two paint colors? They are very nice, I will look for multiple chips : )
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:29AM
rosecottagehome
Thanks anne you answered my question. Hmmm, it could also be the Happy Birthday Mr. President dress.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:30AM
rosecottagehome
Ok, ice packs are now warm, off to do another round in the gardens.....must avoid slopes. LOL. Thanks all for the thoughts and feedback.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 11:32AM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottage home... so funny about the hubby letting you make the decisions.. same here ..mine is happy when it is finished & glad that he doesn't need to take time "suffering with choices".
Years ago we were at a store & he saw a decorative wall piece & said "That would be nice in the kitchen". I looked at him (I'm sure with a look of disbelief) & said " Sorry but that exact piece has been on the wall for about 2 years now"!! Since then he has not offered any suggestions so as not to show his lack of interest in room decor.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 11:42AM
karemore55
Anne, Apparently the dress she wore was flesh-colored with sequins, so that's not it! But, she's probably the most famous Marilyn in N. America, so maybe it was some other dress she wore.

Ah! Will look up the one she wore when she was standing over that air vent lol!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 12:45PM
karemore55
Memo to self: quit reading threads in reverse! Just saw your idea, Rose, about air vent dress!

Both chips are Ben Moore, btw.

Quit gardening in the rain lol!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 12:46PM
anne dee
looks like pink to me ;-)
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 12:49PM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottagehome ..
. another tip that I forgot to mention that works well for me is to put your paint chip not "on the wall".. but "on the item" (cupboards, ceiling or doors,etc.) as the builders white or any existing wall color will no longer be there... this gives you a much truer reading of the paint chips.
Hope you had fun in the garden today. I am an avid gardener myself.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 2:26PM
rosecottagehome
Hi Leona, thanks for all these paint tips. I would never had thought to put chips on other surfaces. I talked to a painter tonight and he is coming over this week or next to have a look and give me an estimate. He is so busy, I may have him do some in the fall, ie. kitchen, and finish next spring. More time to make decisions, gather samples on other rooms. So stayed tuned for possible other threads asking for thoughts. LOL

I did indeed get out in the garden, I just love it! Where are you located Leona? Likely a warmer growing zone than my zone 4.
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 6:15PM
rosecottagehome
anne I am quite certain Marilyn's famous dress was a shade of white. I recall seeing it up for auction on the news years back and it definitely was not a pink dress. I think it may just be the lighting in the photo : ) Must do google search..........
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 6:19PM
This is Marilyn’s Dress:
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 26, 2014 at 6:24PM
rosecottagehome
Ohhh, I really like that Judy. Will be picking up several of those chips. Benjamin Moore.......correct. It is the photo for sure, but the paint dabs Karen posted above by the same name look to have more white in it. Must be the glossy finish on the photo. Thank you.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 7:02PM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottagehome... no rush to paint .. take your time.. besides you will be "in the garden " likely for the summer.
I am in coastal southwest Nova Scotia ,Canada... zone 6b.. referred to as the banana belt.
Our winters here for the past 10 years have been increasingly mild. This winter was the exception with an unusually long, cold winter.
Being on the coast we do experience a lot of fog at times in the summer. This province has the highest "average" temperature in Canada.. although 82 degrees F would be a very hot summer day.
I have a kiwi vine in the garden which produces thumb size yummy, hairless fruits!
Where do you live?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:55PM
rosecottagehome
Good morning Leona! Nova Scotia is so beautiful. We were in Halifax last summer for a wedding and did the coastal drive from Peggy's Cove to Mahone Bay. Want to revisit and stay around Mohone Bay area. I would never have guessed you would be a zone 6 and growing kiwi ! Lucky you. We reside in SW Florida for the winter and so I love being able to garden year round and go from Canadian gardening to tropical! We have some palm trees and an orange and lemon tree, would like to put in a lime tree for those margaritas!

We are in Ontario, near Kingston and have turned our old cottage into our home now, since retiring. My gardens are coming along here, but a little challenging to put in the right stuff with rocky acidic soil and some slopes.......but it is all good and my favorite place to be.

I will take my time to decide on paint color, hopefully the painter won't be too outrageous with his estimate and he can do a bit in the fall, when company subsides and early next spring. I want to be sure I pick the right color. Summer in Canada is so precious and short, so like you, will be enjoying the great outdoors. Thanks for your input Leona : )
    Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 6:23AM
fernchap
Hi Rose, I moved from Ontario to Cape Breton last summer! I have a stellar view of Big Pond from my office windows. Peggy's Cove is one of a kind and I love to walk along the rocks and even lay down on them or picnic on a warm day if not too windy or foggy.

The kitchen your last posting sent is so similar to yours. I did notice however that her lighting is on the warm side. Your kitchen is on the cool side.

Here is a design principle to remember: Colour value is about light and hues are subject to light. Colour is completely relative to the colours next to it in that light.

From Cape Breton Nova Scotia!
Fern
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 27, 2014 at 6:40AM
fernchap
Leona, I just noticed you are on the NS banana belt too but I am east on a mountain side, on Big Pond. =)
    Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 6:45AM
rosecottagehome
Good morning fernchap! Ahh Cape Breton! Another glorious place on the east coast. With your stellar view of Big Pond from your office, how do you get anything done. LOL. I have been around the loop on Cape Breton Island a few times. The east coast has it's own unique style and character.........love it.

Thanks for the tip about lighting and how it affects the hue in the color. Yes, my lighting is on the cool tone, as I have LED strips below and above the cabinets. Yet the big lantern over the island, light above the sink and chandy over the table, as well as the LED pucks in the glass front cabinets, all give off warm light. Ah well it is what it is. So if I choose a light grey/ blue toned paint, then everything will have a cool feel. If I choose a light beige/yellow toned paint, it will have a warm glow even with my LED cabinet lighting? I am off to town to pick up several of the same colored paint strips, good tip BTW, to try out. Thanks again for your insights. Appreciated.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 7:47AM
Lainie D'Eon
@fernchap... Hi fellow maritimer! I have been to Port Hawkesbury & Sydney about 25 yrs. ago when my husband was herring seining from there. We did do the Cabot Trial since but didn't directly investigate Big Pond, must be lovely there. Here's to a sunny maritime summer!
    Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 12:43PM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottagehome..I sympathize with your rocky acidic soil!! I have rocky, acidic clay soil. Now that's a challenge .Good point is azaleas & rhodys love acidic soil.
I always said that if I lived in Florida I would be burnt out from gardening.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 28, 2014 at 12:52PM
rosecottagehome
Leona, no, you would surprise yourself if you had a small tropical garden. Mine is small in Florida, thank goodness. It is so much fun learning about tropical gardening...I go from Zone 4 here to Zone 10 there. You can grow house plants here as perennials there and things grow so quickly. Annuals I plant in a pot there, are big in one month, it takes at least 2 months here to get to the same size.
You do have challenging soil where you are. Do you also have salt in the air to deal with if you are on the coast?
    Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 2:57PM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottage..Sounds great!.Not bothered too much by salt spray as I am about 1/2 mile from the water on the east & more on the west. We can be prone to foggy summers which are terrible for getting annuals to bloom. We are on a peninsula, West Pubnico ( the oldest village still Acadian)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 28, 2014 at 3:53PM
rosecottagehome
Love the east coast Acadian music.....gets the feet a tapping. LOL.
    Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 3:58PM
fernchap
I am a singer (among other things) but I have yet to master the celtic vocal style. It is a culture in itself in Cape Breton Island, right Leona? I don't have any salt to deal with but rather very strong winds being up so high. off the water One 160 km/hr such wind blew my barn door right off!! lol
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    May 28, 2014 at 5:24PM
rosecottagehome
OMG! fernchap, such winds you deal with. I think I would rather contend with salt air. LOL. Ah yes, the Celtic voice is something. Don't know how they do that pitch change so quickly and beautifully. Heard much great Celtic/Acadian singing and music in Halifax.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 5:39AM
fernchap
Hi Rose. What did you decide upon?
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 19, 2014 at 12:56PM
rosecottagehome
Hi ferncap! I have the painter booked for first thing next spring to do the entire place. This will give me lots of time to pick colors for all walls, doors, interior and exterior and trim. I am leaning towards SW Ice Cube, which is a light grey/blue or Behr new Home Decorators Collection....Amber Moon, which is a soft muted creamy yellow /beige. I have my ladies weekend this weekend, so have paint chips taped up to get feedback and opinions. Will buy sample paints to try to be sure. Also have an interior decorator friend coming for a weekend in the summer to see what she thinks. I included three pictures. SW Ice cube is the third chip down on the right and Behr's Amber Moon is the second one down on the left. I must get more of the same chips to put together. Have been preoccupied with new grand baby and checking out back splash tile. What do you think of those two? Painting ceiling at this point is not an option as hubby really loves them as is. If they look horrid after walls are done, then the painter said he can do the kitchen ceiling.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 3:37PM
Hi rosecottage * waving* I have missed seeing you around Houzz. I am glad to hear you are enjoying the grand baby:)) Maybe a trip to Nashville is in order??
    Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 4:16PM
rosecottagehome
Hi Margo, waving and grinning right back at you! I know, I have been missing my long sessions on Houzz and the friendly chit chat. I read about your upcoming trip with some Houzz friends to Nashville How exciting and I would have loved to join you, if it were not for another new grand baby two coming in September to my daughter's family. Watch out Nashville, you Houzzers are going to have such fun!

So Margo, while I have you here. which color chip do you prefer above. Not the best shot, but you can kind of get the idea when you enlarge. The grey/blue or the creamy yellow?
    Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 6:12PM
rosecottage- I like both. I like the yellow for the warmth, but I like the blue/grey with the ceiling. Let us know what is favored by your guests that are coming;)
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 19, 2014 at 6:40PM
fernchap
I'm glad you are committing to a colour…Amber Moon is warmer in that cool light. BTW I have 17 musicians from Nashville coming to stay with me a few days late July…small world
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 20, 2014 at 5:13PM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottage.. would you please tape those paint chips taped on the cupboard doors? It really does give you a truer reading.
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 20, 2014 at 7:48PM
anne dee
this may be an unwanted or previous suggestion.
But have you considered treating your ceiling the same as seen in the ref pic.
I believe it would make your choice of paint colour somewhat easier as there wouldn't be such a stark contrast between ceiling and walls. IMHO
Architecture and Interior Design · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 20, 2014 at 8:01PM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottage
Not sure if this has been asked before... what treatment will you be doing one the backsplash.... tiles or painting it the same as the wall color that you chose?
    Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 8:25PM
rosecottagehome
Thank you for your replies Leona, Anne and Ferncap. I do like the white wash finish on the wood ceiling pictured Anne. Hubby is really not wanting the ceilings painted, however, once walls are painted and if we don't like it so much with the ceilings, the painter said he would paint or white wash the ceiling after. Leona, I am putting in an antique white subway tile with a framed in herringbone pattern above the stove in the same tile. I will try those paint chips on the cupboards on Sunday and post, after my over nights guests depart. Thanks for the tip. ferncap you are going to love those musical guests coming in July. I hope everyone helps with the cooking! LOL
1 Like    Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 9:49PM
scorpsoft
hello
    Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 10:06PM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottage... wow I guess you have a lot of different lighting to contend with. I forgot about your lighting above the top cupboards. Is it the same kind as the lighting directed down to the countertops? The subway tile pattern sounds lovely. Do you now have a sample of that subway tile for reference?
    Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 5:20AM
rosecottagehome
Leona, the lighting is indeed the same, LED strip lighting above and below cupboards. In the daylight, when the cupboard lighting is turned off, the kitchen does not get direct sunlight through the windows, but plenty of light, as we are quite shaded on this end of the cottage. I will put up the two tile samples I have and post on Sunday. I am trying to decide on the size of subway tile to use, as I must take into consideration the herringbone pattern I want to do above the stove. Thanks for your input : )
    Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 5:28AM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottage .. please put the tile samples in a spot where they will touch the countertop & the cupboard wood with your wall color samples.. one with the led lights on at night & one in the daylight. Your hubby is probably going to think I am nutty for asking you to do that! Thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 21, 2014 at 5:48AM
mspo
rosecottage, i am relatively new on houzz, few weeks, maybe. havent even researched how to do the ideabooks thing or much of how to use houzz. i've been too busy looking at pictures and reading conversations. your thread here is wonderful as are all the folks who drop by to help!! you're a bunch of great people!! now, i have a comment or two. your kitchen is charming!!! i am wondering if yellow walls would bring out the yellow components of your wood ceiling...and, is that the look you want?
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 21, 2014 at 6:22AM
rosecottagehome
Welcome aboard mspo! This is such a great site and so very helpful and inspirational. Yes, oh yes, I do also like the creamy yellow's warmth and it also blends well with the ceilings, the blue dishes and accents and the counter tops and floors! What is a girl to do do when both will look good! I think my next step is to buy the paint samples and to paint the larger poster boards and see.......just to confirm. My ladies weekend poll results were unanimous.........they like the blue/grey the best. Both will work yes, indeed, but preference was for this one.
Leona I will post tomorrow with your suggestion of placement of the chips. Thanks! It is coming together. Almost there.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 9:15PM
mspo
rosecottage, thanks for the welcome! you ask what is a girl to do when both look good??? why, have TWO kitchens, of course! j/k
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 22, 2014 at 5:19AM
Susan
I'd keep the ceiling as is - its a classic. I think a watery, sea-glass color looks fantastic with this type of kitchen. Blue-grey or green-grey.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 22, 2014 at 5:35AM
Susan
Another thought - swapping out your chairs for seagrass chairs would tie in to the colors of the granite countertop.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 22, 2014 at 5:39AM
rosecottagehome
mspo. LOL, one kitchen is enough! Susan thanks for the vote for blue-grey. My 3 girlfriends also voted that color as well. Since I am doing a creamy yellow with grey undertones for the bathroom, I will do the blue/grey for the kitchen. The girlfriends also were at consensus about leaving the ceilings as is, which I was planning to do. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
    Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 2:22PM
rosecottagehome
Leona here are the paint chips taped on the cupboards with samples of back splash tile, the top two.
    Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 8:28AM
rosecottagehome
Here are the paint chips taped on the cupboards with counters in pic.
    Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 8:30AM
rosecottagehome
Suggestions appreciated:

What size back splash tile, either 3" x 6" or 4" x 8" antique white subway tile do you think would look better. I am doing a framed in herringbone pattern above stove. This crumpled pic is the idea, but without the bottom edging tile.
    Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 8:37AM
rosecottagehome
Here is the space under cabinets it will go. I am thinking the 4" x 8", but wonder if that is too big to do framed in herringbone pattern above stove. Dang sample boards are not helping me with spacial awareness and size. Will need to go to a proper tile store and buy a bunch to try it out I think. Thanks again : )
    Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 8:42AM
mefor
Too big, probably need smaller subways for the inside of the herringbone feature. :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 23, 2014 at 10:44AM
rosecottagehome
Hey thanks mefor, thought it may be. Is that you mforr??
1 Like    Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 10:51AM
mefor
Yep, :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 10:56AM
anne dee
for ref. herringbone pattern with subway tile
Tiburon home remodel · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 23, 2014 at 12:28PM
Lainie D'Eon
@rosecottage , thanks for the pics.

Nice colors for paint & tiles. Which color tile are you leaning towards..( the single one)? May I suggest that you take a pic with the single tile with it leaning in front of the toaster... for a better reference to the countertop. Are you trying to make the tile look like a part of the cupboards or the countertop?

To get an better idea for the size of tile to chose.. draw a herringbone pattern on a large piece of paper in both sizes .. then tape to the backsplash area behind the stove.
You are certainly giving this some serious thought .. good job!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 23, 2014 at 2:17PM
rosecottagehome
Thanks Anne! That is the look I am considering and will see what the tile store recommends for size. Thanks also Leona for all these tips. I am going for a very subtle look to almost match the antique white of the cupboards and let the granite shine. I like the color of the single smaller tile. I plan to buy a few of each size that are loose, the trim pieces for the frame and will draw that pattern on a large sheet of paper, as you suggested to try them out in the space above the stove. Then I will know and be certain.

Mefor, I made a lovely carrot cake for my girlfriends this past weekend and looked at your cake once again above and wished I had a vintage plate to have put it out on. Do you mind sharing the name and make of those plates above please? They are lovely! I will be on the look out for a few in antique shops this summer.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 6:21PM
mefor
The blue and yellow one is a Wedgewood pattern called "Citrons", it's not old, I got them 19-20 years ago. But they are discontinued. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 23, 2014 at 6:26PM
rosecottagehome
Thanks mefor! Will check into this....
1 Like    Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 6:35PM
mefor
Good luck, I'm sure you'll do better if you find them in a consignment/second hand/antique shop, but at least there's some prices here for you to compare them to :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    June 23, 2014 at 6:38PM
rosecottagehome
Yes I was thinking exactly that as Replacements is a little pricey : )
1 Like    Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 6:40PM
bubbasgma
Shhhhh.....We have a surprise for our funniest, most loveable Houzz-ing friend!!
Come join in the fun!
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/1091285/Lordy-Lordy--Margo-s--

Photos, videos, cartoons, pics of leg lamps and moozzes are highly encouraged!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    July 29, 2014 at 12:47AM
bubbasgma
;-)
1 Like    Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:47AM

Where art thou Rosecottage? Did the kitchen get painted? Will mforr make more cake with tiny scoops of coconut ice cream with blueberries served on wedgewood china?

2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    March 7, 2015 at 8:22AM
rosecottagehome

Margo!! I see you are wearing your Easter Bonnet once again. LOL. So nice to see a hello from you in my mail box. I have only looked in on Houzz now and again. The kitchen will be getting painted this spring on our return to Canada by a painter. He is painting all of Rosecottage inside, in fact, since it has builders white primer on every wall. I have decided on the SW Ice Cube ( I think that is the name, the chip is still taped to the wall back home and I have been away. ) So the kitchen will get done and I will post pics. How have you been Margo?

2 Likes    Bookmark   March 7, 2015 at 10:01AM
karemore55
What a treat to be called back for a cup of tea! Imagine a cottage so pretty, it can go three years with just primer on the walls and no one cares lol.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 7, 2015 at 10:37AM
rosecottagehome

Hi Karen! Earl Grey for you, correct? Karen, I HAVE lived with the builders white primer for 3 years! LOL. I actually have grown to like the white walls and will do a villa white for living room/dining room and master bedroom. I would probaby have gone another year of the primer, had it not been for the fact it is difficult to wash grand kiddies' and gardener' s hand prints off. How have you been? So nice you dropped by : )

1 Like    Bookmark   March 7, 2015 at 10:53AM
karemore55
I'm good, Rose. Spring comes early in the Okanagan, so I am busy with my veggie beds. Going to plant peas, spinach, lettuce - all the early guys - this weekend.

Your colors sound lovely and perfect - I'm glad you took 3 years to make the decisions! The good news about the kiddie and gardener handprints is that the paint will just cover that right up. You won't have to wash your walls lol.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    March 7, 2015 at 11:48AM

Whooo HOOO this is a bonus day... Karemore checking in;))

Well, Rosecottage, I have seen better days. I have fallen out of grace on Houzz but have no one to blame but myself. I guess you reap what you sow and as much as I really never intended my demise it was written.

I have been strolling down memory lane with bubbas giving the push and of course you and your dilemma brought good thoughts;)

Karen, I hope you are well. We certainly have had good times;)

Rosecottage, I will look forward to your pics when the painting is done, until then thanks for the chat *waving*

2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    March 7, 2015 at 4:03PM
rosecottagehome

Oh Margo, that saddens me. Possibly take a step back for a spell and then try again, keeping things light. I hope spring is getting into your neck of the woods. I always say being outside is the best cure for whatever ails you : )) I checked Houzz a few weeks ago and couldn't see you anywhere : (( So thanks so much for writing, it is real nice to hear from you! Do you still have your big fork and spoon on your kitchen wall? And Mr. Moose, is he stll hanging?

1 Like    Bookmark   March 7, 2015 at 8:00PM

I stepped back awhile ago Rosecottage. It is just today that I have been on a Memory tour of Houzz. I took down the giant fork and spoon and replaced with some art. Mr. Moozz is still hanging. The leg lamp is retired to the basement. I am doing a bit of remodeling myself. Funny, being on Houzz curbed my own decorating. Now that I am not on very much I am back to looking to redo things.

1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    March 7, 2015 at 8:11PM
rosecottagehome

Karen, lucky you to be planting your veggie garden this early! You must have an early summer harvest? I believe southern Ontario just finished another deep freeze and got more snow! I am currently in Florida ( outside every day).

I am happy to hear I won't need to wash off those hand prints Karen. It will be nice to get the place properly painted finally. I think I needed three years off after all the work and planning that went into the renos......was kind of burnt out with making so many decisions. I guess I came up with a bad case of

" Designer's block". LOL. Nice to have a wee chat Karen: )

1 Like    Bookmark   March 7, 2015 at 8:19PM
rosecottagehome

That is so true Margo. Houzz can be very addictive, and it is a marvelous pass time, yet before you know it, an hour has gone by, as I am looking at my computer time and can't believe I am still awake! LOL. Glad to hear you have some projects on the go and that Mr. Moose still reins over your mantel. What have you been dreaming up for your redo projects?

1 Like    Bookmark   March 7, 2015 at 8:29PM

I am adding a patio door to my bedroom with a small deck off the back. My house is small, so opening up and adding outdoor space helps. I am changing lighting, doing some painting, recarpeting, etc.

speaking of time, it does get away from you quick. My eyes are squinting. I guess it is time to go to bed... good night and again good talking with you. Enjoy your Floridian time;) *waving*

Bookmark   March 7, 2015 at 8:44PM
rosecottagehome

Sounds like a peaceful retreat you will be creating off your bedroom Margo. Glorious and just in time for spring. Enjoy the planning and creating....that is such fun! Stay well dear Margo and post me a picture of your little balcony oasis when you are ready to snuggle into that deep seating chair( oh you must get one of these chairs with ottoman) with a good book and a glass of wine! Sheer bliss indeed! Waving back to you, nice to chat :)

Bookmark   March 8, 2015 at 10:37AM
lbdel
Love the pine ceiling and the up lights on top of cabinets, but there is too much white. Walls need to add some contrast to the plethora of white cabinets and soon to be white backsplash ( love the herringbone pattern idea). Find a soft, medium toned blue for the walls and decorate with yellow hued accent pieces to tie in the yellow provided in the ceiling. Then find a deeper hued blue paint and paint the island cabinets that deeper blue. Will look great against the floors. Then, although I am sure you don't want to cover those views, but the room needs some fabric for softness. Maybe just a valance on the window over the sink. Use the same or a coordinated fabric to cover the chair seats at the table. You asked for suggestions. Those are mine.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    March 8, 2015 at 11:38AM
rosecottagehome

Thank you Ibdel for your ideas. I am having the walls painted this spring a blue/ice grey. What is there now is builders primer. I like your suggestion to add yellow hued accent pieces. I also have fabric I purchased- blue and white French Toile to make a valance for the window over the sink and if I have enough, I will consider making cushioned seat covers. I agree there needs to be contrast with all the white cabinets and some more pattern brought throughout. Once the painting is done, I will get a better sense of adding accents colour and pattern. Appreciate your input.

Bookmark   March 8, 2015 at 2:29PM
alliem1414
I think a light blue would look good!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosecottagehome    March 8, 2015 at 2:42PM
miacometlady
Revere Pewter- Ben Moore
    Bookmark   March 8, 2015 at 3:28PM
First Time Homebuyer, Kitchen Painting Dilemma
Our kitchen is open to the dining room which has a...
carrierice1027
NEW FLOOR & Time to Paint the kitchen cupboards! HELP!
I hate these orange (maple) cupboards. The flooring...
flyingdutchgirl
it's time to paint my kitchen chairs please!
I have four ladder back chairs that have at least 4...
julesthrash
kitchen rehab - first time diy
I would appreciate some feedback on a kitchen remodel...
slimsnoop80
Time to Paint the Kitchen, help me choose a color
I finally got all of the drywall work done, patched...
mjk1108
What should I do with a drop ceiling?
Hi, I would love some opinions on what I should do...
andreasawyer
Help With Paint Color for Dining Room
I'm lost on what color to paint the dining room. It...
hayeshearns
Fix this master bedroom.
Hello all. I need help with making over my master bedroom....
sudeen
Need help with an extremely small FULL guest bathroom.
We are new renters to a traditional home. As renters...
rutabaga4