Spruce Up a Blah Bathroom
louisamuniz
Can anyone make suggestions for sprucing up this master bath? Walls are like a gold/tan? Need an area rug to jazz up space to pull everything together. Would really appreciate some help. Thank You!
carolannr
I'd add a rug in a rich dark red with a paler gold tone in a pattern. Could be stripe for more modern detail or even something as traditional as an old oriental (my choice). I really think you need to add some pattern because now it looks kind of boring - the little touches of black don't carry enough weight to balance all the monotone.
April 5, 2014 at 7:00PM      Thanked by louisamuniz
Tile Sensations
I would 1st make the decision, do I want a spa feel, shabby chic or elegant. Then run with it.

If it were my bath I would remove curtains and blinds and add plantation shutters. I would change the wall color and cabinet pulls. I am iffy on a rug, would depend on the final look desired.

The room needs a pop! Something fun or beautiful to look at, the drab wall color does not enhance the tile, but dulls it.

More details are needed for good advice. What style/color is the master bedroom?

Sorry if I'm not much help.
April 5, 2014 at 7:33PM        Thanked by louisamuniz
lovebugsmom
I really like the wall color. I would put plantation shutters up.
Remove some stuff around tub, keep a live plant and maybe some candles. Put cream knobs on vanity as you have brass faucet and door hinge/knob. Big fluffy rug in front of tub. I love your bath, very serene.
April 5, 2014 at 7:54PM        Thanked by louisamuniz
louisamuniz
I like an elegant feel. What color rug or pattern would you suggest? I was thinking a rug with some gold, black & white? Don't know. Does anyone have a picture of a rug that might work?
April 6, 2014 at 5:47AM   
doctornancy
Black accents provide wonderful contrast against gold walls. Oriental rugs in a bath give a very elegant feel. A scroll design plays off your art. Consider replacing your existing window treatment with something simpler and softer - perhaps just a textured shade. Is refinishing your cabinet in black an option? Have fun!
April 6, 2014 at 6:23AM        Thanked by louisamuniz
I would take out the blinds and curtain panels and replace with a nice fabric Roman shade. Is there wiring above the tub for a pretty Chandelier? rest arrow on pic to enlarge

April 6, 2014 at 6:32AM        Thanked by louisamuniz
doctornancy
A bit unconventional but adding a shower curtain (really a faux shower curtain) adds some balance and texture to the room.
April 6, 2014 at 6:36AM     
louisamuniz
Yes all great ideas. Leaning towards oriental rug and chandelier over tub. Thank you!
April 6, 2014 at 6:38AM     
propesjudy
I agree with others on removing curtains. The gold, white and black look good. You are just lacking an accent color to provide that finishing touch. Get some paint color sample swatches and see what colors YOU like. Then find rugs, pictures and other pieces. Judy
April 6, 2014 at 7:57AM   
louisamuniz
I am leaning towards this rug.
April 6, 2014 at 8:18AM     
louisamuniz
What accents might work with this rug? Thank you.
April 6, 2014 at 8:20AM   
What accents??
April 6, 2014 at 8:23AM      Thanked by louisamuniz
louisamuniz
I meant what pieces or bathroom accents would go with the rug I'm leaning towards (see above). Thanks
April 6, 2014 at 8:28AM   
I know, I meant what accent pieces are you looking to go with the rug??
April 6, 2014 at 8:32AM      Thanked by louisamuniz
louisamuniz
Can anyone give me more rug suggestions for this bathroom? The rug pattern I like comes in 4 x 6. I think that's too big for this space. Would a round rug look good? Thanks for the help!!
April 15, 2014 at 6:24AM   
What is the size of the floor space? I would not go round;)
April 15, 2014 at 7:12AM      Thanked by louisamuniz
doctornancy
No round rug. Based on the typical dimensions of bath fixtures and what I see in your image, a 4 x 6 should be fine.
April 15, 2014 at 7:15AM        Thanked by louisamuniz
Eagledzines
That is a lovely rug that compliments the room well. If the tub length is 6' that would give you 1' on either side of the rug. Can you position it that way? Not sure of the size you are looking for but here is one that comes 2x7 or 3'11" x 5'3"
Black Traditional Oriental Design Rug

You could add a small crystal chandelier over the tub.

Maria Theresa Chandelier, Small
Olympia Hills
Tiburon home remodel
April 15, 2014 at 7:40AM      Thanked by louisamuniz
louisamuniz
Yes tub is 6 ft. I think I can do the 3'11 x 5'3 or 4'x6. Thanks so very much for pictures and recommendations!!
April 15, 2014 at 10:17AM   
Eagledzines
Your welcome!
April 15, 2014 at 10:29AM        Thanked by louisamuniz
sophiewall13
I like the tiles it is a good choice but I would change the blinds and juthe cst have urtains
April 15, 2014 at 10:37AM      Thanked by louisamuniz
sophiewall13
sorry if I'm not much help.
April 15, 2014 at 10:38AM      Thanked by louisamuniz
April 15, 2014 at 1:09PM        Thanked by louisamuniz
Fred S
Fleur De Licious?
April 15, 2014 at 3:19PM     
louisamuniz
Yes, Margo, Love the Fleur de Lis rug. So many options to choose from. Thank you!!
April 15, 2014 at 5:01PM     
kim_rose923
I think you should paint walls an off white, remove the towel bar above the bath and remove the picture on opposite wall as well. Replace them with mirrors that go from the platform to the ceiling. Am elegant chandelier could be a wonderful addition. I think there should be window treatments, theatre style on the outside of bath see photo).. The actual window could use a simpler shade either roman shade or plantation shade. The textile for the curtains outside of bath cld be black with a cream colored stencil (baroque style). I would add a small oriental rug in a round shape w black as it's base color w rich reds and creams and gold.
April 15, 2014 at 5:50PM      Thanked by louisamuniz
ronzdezines
It looks like a huge room...I'd use new colors to make it more elegantly serene. Painting the walls a soothing "Fawn" color, to coordinate w the tile. Possibly also painting your vanity alcove area a darker color to accentuate it more in same tone family. Then black ,beige accents for the rug colors, (the rug that Eagledzines chose would be perfect, black trad.Oriental ), maybe in other color as above and towels, decor and outside the tub a curtain full length, ceiling to floor, in a solid color such as black, either on one or both sides. Also, Simple window covering, Shutters, or blind..adding the chandelier either above tub or in center of room...Keeping it simple, yet serene and elegant. Just some thoughts. Enjoy.
April 16, 2014 at 4:50AM      Thanked by louisamuniz
ronzdezines
Hi And Thank you as well. I was wondering if you are still working on your project and we'd Love to see what you decided on if so. Thanks again, Ron
April 16, 2014 at 5:32AM   
Sustainable Dwellings
It is a nice size bath. For heaven sake, strip that window! You could frost/etch it so that you will have light, but not see through it.... use roman shades. Follow Margo's advice above.
April 16, 2014 at 5:38AM        Thanked by louisamuniz
Yvonne Hiemstra
Yes, get rid of the drapes and put a nice California shutter on the window. Get chocolate brown towels as accents and paint the walls a bold colour like terracotta or a more subtle dark taupe
April 16, 2014 at 7:10PM      Thanked by louisamuniz
alicejean
I would calm the area down: shutters, remove towel rack, and add the chandelier if possible. Your bathroom is very pretty; it just seems like there is a lot going on in a place you want to be serene. I have a very similar situation. I had a rug, so I use it. Hubby likes it; I could go either way.
April 16, 2014 at 7:20PM      Thanked by louisamuniz
kathleen MK
I loved the tub and tile and would change the wall color and window treatments. I would paint the wall a beige or taupe that is in the tile then you could change brighter colors in towels window coverings and accent pieces. Instead drapes or curtains leave just the shades and a sheer window scarf. Or add window film and use a large piece stained glass for privacy with more light. Instead of the picture over the tub use a decorative shelf with candles and a mirror or a mini wall hung fireplace that burns canned fuel.

You could use any color with the tile, but my favorite would be those sea glass greens and mineral blues. It would limit your other choices but painting the walls one of those watery hues would be serene. Then change the pulls to glass and get towels window scarf and rug in those sand and sea colors. Choose whatever color you love not the latest trend.
April 16, 2014 at 8:11PM      Thanked by louisamuniz
louisamuniz
Kathleen, I really love your suggestions! So serene. Unfortunately, I am stuck with this wall color for awhile. Just had it painted about 2 months ago. It's ok. Just trying to work with it. But.. Thank you so much, will use some of your ideas.
April 16, 2014 at 8:33PM     
Discount Custom Blinds and Shutters
I think adding aluminum shutters would give you a nice custom look and gives you the added benefit of having a virtually maintenance free window covering made for wet / moist environments.
April 27, 2014 at 5:20PM   
sophiewall13
If I were you I would put some ornaments,pictures or a mirror
May 27, 2014 at 12:43AM   
Looking to spruce up bathroom.
Looking for ideas to spruce up the master bathroom...
Wanting to spruce up an old, beatup bathroom.
I have bathroom I would like to redo. I am already...
Help for this blah blah bathroom...
This will be the shared bathroom for my 3 kids - simple...
Exterior - 1970's house in need up sprucing up
Built in 1977 and still has original siding, windows,...
Help punch up my blah living room!
Hi - I am trying to figure out decor for our living...
need exterior color ideas
need siding and shingles on our new house..we have...
Help - Exposed Brick Gone Wrong
Hello All - Today I finally had the courage to get...
Need help with choosing a vinyl fence color
Hi, We just put in a new RV pad on the side of the...
Need Help with Kitchen Design
We are remodeling the kitchen & adjacent living room(eventually...
Please help me brighten up my dungeon kitchen!
Earlier this summer we purchased a 1907 Victorian....