Single or double kitchen sink
lorraine64
Hi,
I am changing the counters in my kitchen and am trying to decide if I should change the double-basin sink for a large single basin. A single makes it easier to soak big pots and pans but the double makes it easier to drains dishes or store a pile of dirty ones and still have the use of the other basin. Which is better?
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
You've identified the major advantage of a double sink (an innovation prior to common use of dishwashers). If, like one of my clients, you do not use a dishwasher and prefer the staking/soaking/draining function, then a double sink is likely your best bet (though I would consider a plastic tub inside a larger sink as well).

I like a deep, under-mount (= even deeper) and wide sink for maximum flexibility. I have a cutting board cut to sit inside the stone where the under-mount sink meets the counter and this slides easily left and right, or lifts out, offering a lot of additional flexibility in use. And, my gas range griddle fits flat into the bottom of the sink, as to all my cookie sheets and roasting pans.

For myself, the ability to get larger items fully into the sink far outweighs the benefits of a double sink--in fact, after a couple of years of using the larger under-mount sink, I can't remember why I ever liked the double sink!

It boils down to how you like to use the sink and how you can fit it into your cooking and lifestyle.
April 6, 2014 at 9:35am        Thanked by lorraine64
loisjmiller
I prefer 1 sink. Two sinks always means looking at a rack of drying dishes. Or at an empty rack, which is not attractive. 1 sink gives me plenty of room to handle trays or big pots that need to be done by hand.
April 6, 2014 at 9:41am        Thanked by lorraine64
Leslie Brooks
Kohl we makes a double sink that has a low divider. It is not the full height of the sink depth so you can fill the sink full like a single basin when needing to wash things such as sheet pans.
April 6, 2014 at 9:46am        Thanked by lorraine64
Leslie Brooks
Kholer not Kohl we...stinking autocorrect! HA!
April 6, 2014 at 11:38am      Thanked by lorraine64
Patricia Colwell
I find if you have a dishwasher a single sink is fine. I even wash my pots in the DW so don't really need a double.
April 6, 2014 at 11:54am      Thanked by lorraine64
raineycarole
I love my big, single bowl sink.
April 6, 2014 at 4:09pm      Thanked by lorraine64
Most people these days prefer single bowl because most dishes go into the dishwasher. We like the Kohler 70/30 split with the low (half height) divider. We use the large side for washing pots and pans and the small side as a vegetable prep sink since we don't have room for a second sink in our small kitchen.
April 6, 2014 at 4:23pm      Thanked by lorraine64
Double sinks with one side larger than the other.
April 6, 2014 at 6:36pm      Thanked by lorraine64
Closet Experts
And I will mix it up with a sink with equal size double bowls so we can hand wash items that do not go in the dishwasher. One bowl for soapy water, the other to rinse. And a pullout head to spray larger items as needed.
April 6, 2014 at 7:04pm      Thanked by lorraine64
Ann
I also have a 70/30 split with a very low divider and the 30 side is slightly elevated (silgranit cascade). It has one drain. I like the configuration very much!
April 6, 2014 at 7:09pm      Thanked by lorraine64
Create Good
I have never had a client say they regret choosing a single bowl sink.
April 17, 2014 at 10:57am   
OMNIA Group Architects
My wife likes our single, large bowl because she can fit larger pans/dishes, but it is a matter of personal preference.
April 17, 2014 at 11:04am     
DirectSinks
There have been so many discussions on this decision on Houzz. You can read more reviews of the two different types of sinks here: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/660562/Kitchen-sink---has-anyone-with-a-double-sink
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/867857/Whats-the-best-type-of-kitchen-sink---one
May 16, 2014 at 12:24pm   
Kitchen sink - has anyone with a double sink wish for a single sink?
I only know a single sink, and very happy with a large...
Double or single kitchen sink?
Trying to make a small kitchen appear bigger for resale....
Single bowl or double bowl kitchen sink
We are remodeling our kitchen -- keeping the same footprint,...
Need help deciding on double-bowl or single kitchen sink
My kitchen sink cabinet will be 33", so there's limited...
Wo verbringst Du am meisten Zeit zu Hause?
Was ist Dein Lieblingszimmer? Verbringst Du am meisten...
Great room is dark - should I paint ceiling?
My great room is large 15 X 20 but dark. My husband...
Backyard Ideas
Hi I recently pulled out bushes that our builder had...
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....
Round Foyer--Please Help! :)
The foyer in our home-to-be is round. The flooring,...