i have cracking ceiling to wall joints--how do i fix or hide?
evarunnr
April 6, 2014 in Other
low ceilings, joints are cracking between ceiling and wall, truss uplift? chould i put up molding in these areas? I have low ceilings, 7'8". will it make room look boxy?
ispoildogs
If it were me, I think I would have a structural engineer check for structural integrity. There may be a small fix now for a problem that could become larger and more expensive to fix as time goes on.
April 6, 2014 at 5:20PM      Thanked by evarunnr
Creekside Homes Inc
how old is your house? If the house was build in the last 5 years, cracks are common as the lumber cures and settles. If the house is older and has cracks developing contact a general contractor to inspect your foundation and underfloor.
The joint between wall and ceiling can be easily caulked (what most drywallers will do at the one-year warranty check-up). I would steer away from moldings in a room with a low-ceiling or at least only use small ones.
April 7, 2014 at 9:43AM      Thanked by evarunnr
Curt D'Onofrio
Agreeing with ispoilgogs & Creekside. If it is structually sound, then i would caulk the crack. But use caulking that stays flexible after it cures so it can flex w/out cracking in the future.
April 7, 2014 at 10:31AM      Thanked by evarunnr
evarunnr
the house was built 1956. it is a ranch. slab on grade. poor ventilation in the attic until 4 years ago. when we moved in 24 years ago we nailed boards on the trusses to give additional strength? inspector had said house was well built. I did retape fill and finish 10 years ago and the same areas are splitting.
April 7, 2014 at 3:10PM   
My kitchen
I want to make the kitchen feel larger two room with...
Duplex design but looking like a one house from exterior
I have an existing house in Sydney Australia. On the...
Exterior paint suggestions
My 1959 bungalow needs perking up , Light rust terracotta...
Need help picking a sunny yellow paint for retro kitchen
I have a Brady bunch kitchen. I am trying to select...
Siding is going up! Need to figure out color!! HELP
This house sits out in the flat fields not too far...