Help my Mantel
dlanza
Gorgeous fireplace and mantel and I am stumped as to how to decorate for Spring! Ideas please
dlanza
Under the runner is a beautiful thick rough cut piece of wood. I tend to use a runner or lace because everything I display gets lost in the darkness.
April 6, 2014 at 5:26PM   
Six Silver
Spring sorts of screams 'flowery' to me so I'd get some flowers in a pitcher like these: Dreamy Whites 1... You could even use a couple of jars different sizes, a bit like here: http://dreamywhites.blogspot.com/; with different size branches too, the way they do here: Dreamy Whites 2.

You could add a square mirror in the center (Saragano Square Mirrors Set/2 or San Paolo Antique Mirror ― something with a rustic look to it) and perhaps a couple of small ceramic vases on the other side, such as these: Vintage Mid Century Pottery Vase by Ethan Ollie.

Use light, spring colors such as white, pink and green, especially as your wall and mantel are dark.

Hope this helps a little...
April 6, 2014 at 6:49PM        Thanked by dlanza
dlanza
Took your advise with things I had around the house (I love Shabby chic and sell it at a local Shoppe) seems like it still needs something I put some lace but that was not it..... not sure It is a cloudy day so the lighting is not the best. :}
April 8, 2014 at 12:57PM   
dlanza
Hhhmmmm?
April 8, 2014 at 1:02PM   
Six Silver
Looks like your spring mantel is coming a long! Shabby chic is a beautiful style, I agree!

The flowers you've got in the white vase are pretty but I am not as fond of the green leaves/beads/moss (I can't really tell what it is) coming down: whereas the branches are spreading out, these just droop down...

I would remove the branch you placed in front of the mirror, too: it hides the lower part of its frame and doesn't ground it anymore...

Don't have much time, right now, but I will try to think of something for when I do, later on...
April 10, 2014 at 3:07AM        Thanked by dlanza
njschaefer78
You might consider removing the doodads off of the front of the fireplace stone (red lantern, fireplace tools, etc). It's distracting and takes away from your mantle display.
April 10, 2014 at 4:44AM        Thanked by dlanza
Six Silver
Back with a few ideas but, first off, I definitely agree with NJSchaefer78: the objects hanging on the front of the fireplace (and even around it) are distracting. I don't know how important they are to you (I did notice a "Bless This Home" sign) but, if you can, you place them somewhere else so that only what you display on your mantelpiece will be a focus point.

Because both the fireplace and your wall are rather dark (despite the white stripes on the latter), I recommend you choose objects in light, soft pastel colors; something woody, even if in the spirit of the season, would only end up camouflaged. Those candlesticks, for example, are too dark for spring and, in my opinion, only make your display look gloomy (but maybe that is because you took the picture on a cloudy day).

As I already said, the flowers you have in the white vase look pretty, but because your wall is so dark, the branches aren't visible; so, instead of having something light and pretty as in this picture:

Dreamy Whites 1

...it only makes it look like a rather scant bouquet. Make smaller, lusher bouquets, as it was done here:

Dreamy Whites 2

Dreamy Whites 3

Because of the white stripes on your wall, the mirror doesn't look so great: the frame is too thin compared to the stripes, especially as they are both white. Maybe you should get a large, white board behind everything, the way it was done here:
http://theinspiredroom.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/spring-decorating-mantel1.jpg

That would help bring everything stand out a little better and your mirror would seem less awkward. Place a couple of small jars with flowers in them in front of the mirror so they can be reflected and appear more numerous.

Although I think having objects of different sizes is, at times, more interesting that having something too symmetric, I would suggest you try to find a balance: the rabbits on the right hand side look tiny and disproportionate in comparison to the rest. You sometimes need intermediate sizes between objects...

Here are a couple more pictures of a spring mantels I really like:
http://theinspiredroom.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/lettered-cottage_spring-mantel.jpg

1. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jrlRVtJYBZY/T1bL0j2rQDI/AAAAAAAAFY8/Dtq7qNgGCB4/s1600/Picnik+collage.jpg

2. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-f1tFHOlyfG8/UycgsUfg1iI/AAAAAAAAIzI/glYX--qmQNc/s1600/Spring+Mantel+2014.jpg

Notice how in all the pictures, none of the mirrors have their foot completely hidden.

Hope you're inspired!
April 10, 2014 at 3:37PM   
Need help for my mantel?????
My fireplace is from wall to wall, making the mantle...
Need help decorating my mantel.
I would like to get some suggestions on how to enhance...
Need help in painting my mantel so it won't be so traditional.
My decorator suggest to paint mantel to go with shabby...
Need help decorating my mantel and built-ins!
Hello! I am not sure how to decorate my mantel and...
Help with my fireplace mantel!!
We bought a house and basically renovating the whole...
Soaring slanted ceilings. How to decorate???
How can one decorate with 20' ceilings that are acutely...
Poetry Corner
Looks like we have a few Houzzers that love to provide...
Something Missing
Looking for ideas! I feel as though something is missing...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Guess the size of the area?
Can anyone help me guess the size of the vanity area?...