Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_pugliese

Losing my mind!! What can I do with this room?!?

Ashley Pugliese
10 years ago
We just painted & I'm hating it! It's a very cool blue & I am used to classic neutral colors. We are considering purchasing a sectional sofa to put against the window as with a chaise that comes attached. Still this room is so immense and such a focus of the home, it's making me so upset! Please any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments (16)

• laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    Try BM Revere Pewter it goes with almost anything. Usually best to choose fabrics for sofas first, then paint.
  • sally78
    10 years ago
    Before repainting, look at some other things that would help pull the room together… Maybe, the paint is okay---it just doesn't solve other problems… (You can think about re-painting later, if it is necessary)

Would you consider neutralizing the fireplace brick? Painting that? Or, changing it's surface in another way?

What about investing in a larger, more attractive ceiling fan?

I like the idea of a sectional sofa in an L position--floating in the middle of the room--not on any wall.

Could you do something else with the piece of furniture in the last picture? I see you have tried to enlarge it putting a mirror above it and a plant. Maybe, you just plain need something larger on that wall---a taller and bigger bookcase-thing--a shelving unit… Doesn't need to be expensive. Ikea? Used furniture from flea market? This you could paint a strong color. Not the dark wood like, but something fun and modern (or just white)...

The windows on either side of the fireplace are what they are. I like the fact you accept this and have minimalized their coverings.

If there is any way to scootch the TV up a bit, I think that would help. It is a visually heavier looking TV and looks low on the mantle to my eye.

Take those things off the sides of the mantle, too. They don't contribute anything. Too much heaviness is already in the mantle-to-TV space.

Don't get discouraged. Decorating is a process. Keep looking and imagining what changes will help. Furniture doesn't need to be expensive. Needs to be right scale and right placement.

Happy Decorating!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    The paint color looks fine. Just can't tell true colors on a computer. But your room is dark. Push back panels on windows and change to a color darker than walls or go a print. Area rug is too dark. Sectional would work in a light gray, leather. With a chaise on each end. Float in room facing TV. Add a big round ottoman in a print. A shag area rug 6x9 is fine in a solid silver gray. Pick a accent color I like yellow with grays. Use that in pillows and on fireplace place just one tall pot on be end in a bold color. Use contemporary art on walls, big. I would put a roman shade on side windows. Don't cover arch. Shade 2 shades darker than walls. Instead of panels on big window go roman. Keep all windows covers the same, that would also be used in kitchen area. The rooms look cluttered. You might try removing items.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Paint mantel white, and white wash the brick. That would give you a more up dated look.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Get a small chest to put beside firepl to hide components.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Yes, you must play with the space some more and if you decide on a sectional with chaise, be sure to get one that has the flex chaise you can move from left to right so further decorating arrangements won't be frozen around the sectional.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Change out whatever "red" accent elements you currently have (cushions, throws, etc.) and change up to caramel colors as Rina suggested and/or some tones of Navy blue
  • mick50
    10 years ago
    Consider off white slipcover sofas and painting the fireplace white, like in Rina's picture. That looks beautiful with the blue walls.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Yes, navy blue works beautifully as a strengthening accent to pale blue.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    and full rod over windows (if you stay with a drape) - I would move the matching mirrors into a stack on one wall, find something else for the other wall. Deco is sooooooo right on the flexible chaise positioning! Please look for that if you do a sectional.
  • Ashley Pugliese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am loving everyone's ideas! Thank you so much for all the input!
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Good, Ashley. I hope all the creative thingies in your mind are jumping up and down.

A photography tip: frame some pics so that the windows aren't visible in the frame. The high contrast between the light from the window and the relative darkness in the room makes the automatic light metering try to average the light out, so that the inside of the room looks much darker than it really is. For instance, I don't think your room is dark as it has lots of window light. If you want to show where the windows are, and what shape they are, you might try closing curtains and turning on all the lights inside the room. If that doesn't work, just take a couple of pics to show their shape. Yes, those pictures in the decor magazines take very sophisticated lighting to pull off.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I would move the TV to the wall opposite the window, arrange the sofas (or sectional, if you get one) in an L-shape to face fireplace and TV, put big art over the fireplace, pretty much eliminate all fake plants, tchotchkes, and about 1/2 the pillows. Do curtain panels either darker than the walls or in a bold print.

Don't feel you have to fill up the room just because it's big. Look at function first, then balance. You don't have to hang something on the wall or add furniture just because there's a space. Emptiness, as long as it's in balance, is calming.
  • luvbdr
    8 years ago

Ashley, I know I'm commenting after the fact, but I just wanted to put my two cents in if it's not too late, and I don't think it would take much effort or expense to make you happy. Are you still working on it?

Amy