How to update a classical dining room set?
hanerjf
While I must keep the dining room set and rug, how do I update rest? I have bought the new light that I would like to use as a starting point and I know the wallpaper has to go but what next? Fabric for chairs, paint suggestions, modern mirror to tie in new light? How do I bring Queen Anne into the 21 century?
decorgirly
Need more info, what colors do you want? are you keeping the rug and hutch?
April 7, 2014 at 11:51am   
jengregory
I have this same issue! I have removed wallpaper. I am thinking of getting two coordinating chairs at either end of the table, then maybe painting the other chairs? But what to do about the china cabinet? I have boxed up the china and just have crystal or cut glass in it. Love the shine and sparkle.
April 7, 2014 at 12:10pm   
apple_pie_order
Pick up some paint chips that match the colors in the rug, and a Minwax brochure that shows what color the wood finish is (they have great brochures). Take it all down to the local fabric store such as Calico Corners and pick out some fabric for curtains and a coordinating fabric for chair seats.

Take everything off the hutch temporarily. Find some accessories you have not displayed in a while and put those out. There is another thread that you may find inspirational. I'll see if I can find it.
April 7, 2014 at 12:50pm     
apple_pie_order
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/676148/Need-suggestions-for-updating-china-closet

The thread is long, but worth reading. Skip to the bottom to see the finished results. It's an amazing transformation.
April 7, 2014 at 12:52pm     
njmomma
;-) watching the progress.
April 7, 2014 at 1:03pm   
You can paint the QA dining set. Does the top detach from the base of the hutch? You could remove it and hang beautiful art above the base.
Dining Room
Lucas
April 7, 2014 at 1:03pm   
leelee
You're on the right track with getting rid of the wallpaper. You'll need to stay traditional for the sake of the Queen Ann table and oriental rug. Go with light beige on the walls and try to pick up some gold in your seat covers. Try Urban Putty from Sherwin Williams.

Just those two changes will give you a whole new look.
April 7, 2014 at 1:06pm     
Kevin Strader
The dining room set is nice wood so I would not paint it. If it was cheap and not worth anything then maybe but nice cherry "NO WAY" would I paint it. Definitely reupholster the chairs, do away with the wall paper and pick a fresh color out of the rug to paint above the chair rail.
April 7, 2014 at 1:55pm     
You can get slipcovers made for the chairs that cover their backs and end in little box pleat skirts. You can replace just the end chairs with upholstered wings that are a fabric blend (fronts and backs different fabrics - one as slipcovers for the rest). You can wrap fabric or paint foamcore and place it at the back of your open shelves in your hutch - try other colors out here.
April 7, 2014 at 2:02pm     
S.J. Janis Company, Inc.
The Queen Anne Residence 05 looks great!
April 7, 2014 at 2:20pm   
jengregory
Libradesigneye - thanks for the suggestion of using foamcore - either painted or fabric wrapped - in the back of open shelves! I have been wanted to do something with the shelves at our lake home, but didn't want to paint! The foamcore is a great idea!!
April 7, 2014 at 2:21pm   
Dar Eckert
If this were my home I would get rid of the chair rail and wall papers first and paint the walls. It looks like you have some blue in the carpet so I would start with that. Reupholster the chair seats in a crisp white. Curtains navy blue.

A Classic CT Home with a Modern Flair
Philadelphia Penthouse
Westwood Home
April 7, 2014 at 2:27pm     
hanerjf
Thanks for the great ideas. I am ready to take off the paper In 3 weeks and want to get the paint. Here is a picture of the rug. Do I go with the blue or stick with beige in rug since I want to lighten up room. Should the crown molding and chair rail go cream or white if I go blue? Do I ditch the chair railing or paint the same as wall or match with crown molding? do I paint the ceiling the blue or wall color or leave ceiling white? Love , love the pictures you linked me to. Also I have always put zip on the windows since there was so much going on the room. Do I continue that with less is more??? AS far as the open hutch, will take all off on shelves and try that fabric idea. Do have a ton of waterford, should I just have twinkle crystal or just store all plates and glasses? Then what about the blank wall after I dump the wallpaper? Should I bring in a new modern mirror with then put art between the windows? Thanks so much, you have given me courage to get this room transitional and have fun with more modern, clean look. As far as colors, open to anything. Not sure what SJJanis was referring to? Last question: I took a leap of faith or stupidity buying the chrome new light fixture to start me on this adventure. So how do I tie into that color ( the new mirror?) and do I just accept that the brass on the traditional hutch doesn't match?????
April 9, 2014 at 5:44am   
hanerjf
April 9, 2014 at 5:44am   
Sustainable Dwellings
I think I would paint the top or legs of the table. Your room is quaintly cute now, I would stay with the traditional look. If you really want modern, buy a new house, retrofitting an older home just looks off.
April 9, 2014 at 5:57am   
Warner Decor
Hi! Looks like you are getting really far on the room! Have confidence in your decisions! You will be great! Here are a few ideas for mirrors:
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/wayfair/kenroy-home-gilbert-wall-mirror-silver/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/deco-mirror-frame/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/wayfair/quoizel-vetreo-metalica-mirror-polished-chrome/

Hope this helps you!
April 9, 2014 at 6:28am     
apple_pie_order
Try priming the walls white when you finish taking off the wallpaper. It'll give you a clean slate. I'd try a light gold or very pale blue for paint samples on foamcore. The new chandelier has good proportions. As Warner Decor suggests, a silver tone mirror would be a good fit. That it doesn't match the brass in the traditional hutch does not matter. If the mismatch does bug you later, you can switch the hutch hardware out for some silver/nickel or black instead.

The Waterford is likely to be visible if you increase the lighting level. Try it and see. Otherwise, look for different pieces you already have such as light colored platters or cachepots. Or silver items. If you don't find anything in your stash, pop over to a home decor store and see what $100 will buy you. Don't put anything on top if you want the display to look finished rather than overflowing with stuff.
April 9, 2014 at 6:39am     
Katie Gooding
I think the color of the chair rail and trim depends a lot on the rest of the house. I'm a fan of when the whole house works well together as a decor style, if one room sticks out as different to me it makes something look off, or sometimes dated. So, I would paint the trim whatever the rest of the house is. Also, I think you will have to go a,little on the traditional side, and adding some boxes with moulding under the chair rail will give you more of a traditional wainscoting look, especially if if paint from the chair rail down in a white or an off white color. It would dress up the room a bit, but in an understated way. I think whether you go with a cream or a light blue, either will look good, and I would not paint that beautiful tape, but certainly reupholster the chairs! If you want to make the area a bit more casual, I would go with a solid fabric on the chairs, if more formal a print you like...as for accessories...wait until you finish what you have planned and them add them in one piece at a time. It will look fabulous when you are done!
April 9, 2014 at 6:40am     
njmomma
I love this yellow and with leelee's fabric for the chairs, it would look great. Take a look at how the curtains are hung . Do not paint the furniture, I'm taking a guess that the rest of your house is traditional.

April 9, 2014 at 8:26am     
hemingway2014
I love your chandelier. Everything doesn't have to be Matchy matchy. What about a paprika red for the walls, or is the rug too rosey. I have a dark paprika, or red pepper color in my dining room,it is my favorite room of the house. You might try it. There are so many accents that go with it. Navy, green, even spring pastels look great. (Easter decorations). It's very elegant also.
You ll do fine don't worry so much, just have fun. You can always change paint colors.
I would get neutral drapes and seat cushions, something you can change without spending a fortune.
April 9, 2014 at 8:48am   
leelee
If you want a real change try the yellow paint above and, at least at first, leave the chair rail white to see how you like that look.
April 9, 2014 at 9:32am     
njmomma
The only other thing I may suggestion and really need not be done, is that now they show sideboards in the dining rooms instead of large open shelves or breakfronts. If the top comes off of your china display cabinet, that may be where you may want to bring in a large mirror with two lamps on that wall. Or not. I would do this last and feel it out first with the paint and fabric changes.
April 9, 2014 at 10:00am     
hanerjf
Since the rest of the house has variations of a buttercream yellow with white molding, I was wanting the paint color in here not go be another yellow room.
April 9, 2014 at 10:53am   
njmomma
Then go blue on the wall. It still will look nice, you have it in your rug.

April 9, 2014 at 11:22am   
apple_pie_order
Curtains in a light blue damask print would go well. SImple panels are readily available. Here's a similar print (this is a wallpaper)
April 9, 2014 at 11:31am   
njmomma
or these
April 9, 2014 at 11:35am   
njmomma
Find blue curtains that you love first, then get paint to match.
April 9, 2014 at 11:36am   
update and brighten dining room set. green or white chairs ???
I have an old dining set that i have to keep but wanted...
How can I update this dining set?
My boyfriend's house is filled with oak furniture with...
How to update a dinning room set
I just bought a dinning room set that includes 6 cane...
How to update my living room and dining room
My living and dining room seems very staid. I would...
How do we update this living room/dining room area
Looking for ideas to update this living room / dining...
Storage issue in bedroom
I want a modern set of wardrobes which has female and...
Need help selecting wall to wall carpet for my living room!
Carpet needs to be replaced! Already 10 years old &...
Please help me with my bedroom
Hi, I'm moving house and am trying to design a gold,...
need to use the former (small) library to have a separated dining room
I'm selling my little house in the south of France....
Natural or grey oak floors?
I'm doing a white kitchen, white cabinets, white subway...