Need help updating and aged cedar exterior.

Kenneth KoersApril 8, 2014
I just took the dive and bought my first house! I'm excited, but kind of overwhelmed with possibilities at this point. I picked up an older ranch that's sort of the black sheep on it's street. Lots of houses worth several times more surrounding it. The first thing I thought when I looked at it is the drab look of the cedar paneling outside, which is made worse by the brown paint. I'd love to freshen it up a bit, but I'm not sure where to start. My first thought was stone facing, because I love the timeless look of stone, and it's so durable. But then do I face the chimney too? And is that overkill? I'm kind of thinking half-height stone facing, with painted shaker shingles above (something like the second picture). I think either way of doing the chimney in stone facing. And maybe making a more pronounced entryway, too. Any thoughts?
Land Art Design, Inc.
Adding a portico similar to the one in the attached picture would enhance your home's curb appeal. You could face the steps in stone to match any facing you add to the rest of the exterior. Hopes that helps!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Kenneth Koers    April 8, 2014 at 1:01PM
Kenneth Koers
Yeah, this is kind of like what I was picturing, actually! I just keep wondering about how to integrate the roof of the entryway without making it look awkward with the chimney right there.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 1:14PM
LM Designs
Congratulations on your new home! What I see in your photo is a lovely example of a mid-century modern home probably built in the 1950s.
The chimney appears to be brick, which is really retro & "honest" in that the structural material is also the decorative material (I would not cover this chimney with fake stone).

Cedar shingles are very durable & are resistant to mold & insects, so this is a benefit that should be embraced, rather than covered.
Perhaps power-washing the roof & adding a new coat of paint to
the house & trim will freshen it up to your liking (here's a link for some ideas):
http://www.retroplanet.com/blog/retro-design/retro-decorating-ideas/1950s-exterior-paint-colors/

Your landscaping is also nice, but might benefit from a splash of color.
Overall, I think your new home is lovely & I recommend that you live in it for a while, before you make any major exterior changes - if any at all.

Best of luck to you!
~Lynn
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Kenneth Koers    April 8, 2014 at 1:15PM
Kenneth Koers
You were close! 1947. And yeah, I was still mixed on the brick, because the brick is exposed inside I do kind of like that continuity and charm. And I will give you that cedar is durable and resistant (actually was part of the reason I trusted this house to still be in great condition). But it just feels dated. I agree that just brightening it up could help a lot though.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 1:19PM
jvasquez1599
If you want a more modern look I would cover the chimney with a nice tan stone and then i would paint the siding a cream or even white color.I would also cover maybe about 3 feet from the bottom up with the same stone. That would look nice.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kenneth Koers    April 8, 2014 at 1:22PM
LM Designs
So there you go Ken! What a great house! Ben Moore Regal exterior paint is a good-quality choice & you can pick up both paper & liquid samples at your local BM distributor. And don't forget flowers! If you want low-maintenance, try forsythia or ornamental grasses ... there's so much you can do to beautify this little house w/o breaking-the-bank or changing its character.
Have fun with it! A new home is such a blessing!
~LM
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Kenneth Koers    April 8, 2014 at 1:24PM
flair lighting
what a cute house. and you have great ideas!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kenneth Koers    April 8, 2014 at 1:30PM
Kenneth Koers
Wow, that's awesome! And much closer to what I was envisioning than I could have done myself. Better show that to the wife!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 1:32PM
brickln
Mixing brick and stone can look awkward, especially on a smaller home. You didn't say what the budget is. If the siding is sound, I'd invest in a new roof because the color is competing with the brick. I would paint the foundation and stairs in medium gray and the siding navy. The whole house in gray with a yellow door would look sharp.
    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 1:53PM
bungalowmo
I fully agree with many things LM Designs said! Especially the part about living in it a while before making any major changes. That was the best piece of advice I received after buying my 1916 home!

To me...I see your place painted in that grayish color...with maybe a red door & black accents, like window trim. The blue shade below is super cute too!

I think it's just a classic, cute combination for your type of home!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Kenneth Koers    April 8, 2014 at 2:08PM
HI - Congratulations buying your cute post-war bungalow . This is the way I see your house --- Have some shaker style panels built under the front windows on the left , then shingle siding to the right of that ,-then stone clad the chimney and put the same stone on the right side on the bottom half just under the windows ,-then shingles around the windows . Paint the front steps and hand rail and the house foundation a dark brown or grey/black . Keep the shingle siding natural or a tan/cream -keep the trim white and have a great rich color on the front door .
    Bookmark   Thanked by Kenneth Koers    April 8, 2014 at 4:07PM
Awkward exterior! How to update and make more like cottage
May be interested in this home to purchase and renovate....
dlstalnaker
Need help for our exterior
We have a brick custom 1956 MCM ranch that's showing...
rhoff
Need help with cedar wrap on support beams
My contractor talked me out of solid cedar and recommended...
taylor4543
Need help updating our log/farm house!
We are about to embark on updating our entire house....
emilytacoma
New House: Yikes! How can we update the Exterior?
We are moving into our new family home in a couple...
cptvoid
Table? Round or bigger rectangle
Looking at getting a different table. We are painting...
newhomegal
Disguising a raised bed septic system
First time homeowner, and first time having a septic...
kmo9212
New Home in desperate need of HELP! What is missing?
We are buying this home and I need help fixing whatever...
Julie Smith
Hardwood mismatch nightmare
We hired a hardwood flooring installer to refinish...
leannienh
Dining Room Dilema
I have a dining room with multiple challenges that...
hmthelords