Need design solution for top of window best cabinet height mismatch
Pat Arnett
Normally, the top of the cabinets should align with the top of the window. In our home the window is about 12 inches higher than where the cabinets should be installed for access to all shelves and a straight alignment with window top. Would appreciate design ideas for how to make the transition around the window top (a cornice, possibly) to make the eye transition the space well. We're in the demo phase and pictures are not available.
rinqreation
What about higher upper cabinets? (Have you bought new cabinets yet?)
April 9, 2014 at 4:04AM   
Pat Arnett
our cabinets have been purchased and are being fabricated. I only have about 12 inches between the top of the window and the ceiling. I was thinking about a corbels from the top of the cabinets to the top of the window with a shelf over the window. We had a planned valance (also in fabrication) that was to connect the cabinets on either side of the window, so I thought we might still use the valance at the bottom of the shelf. Have you seen this done and if so, could you provide link to any pictures you have.
April 9, 2014 at 5:09PM   
rinqreation
Planning, dear, planning and preparation..

If it were standard cabinets and I has this issue, I'd either ignore it or hang the cabinets 12" higher, add a shallow shelf below and buy small steps to reach for the top shelf. 12" is not a little off, but way off, so it would not bother me. And no valance either way, because I don't like them.

And I'm not quite getting the shelf-valance-solution, but be carefull not to make it look like wait-I'll-fix-this.
April 10, 2014 at 1:22AM   
Pat Arnett
Thank you, I will keep that in mind, you make an excellent point. My old cabinets hung at this level and I couldn't reach the top shelf. I would always have to pull out the stool or call my husband to help. It made the top shelf virtually unusable. With the opportunity to fix one of the biggest things I disliked about my old cabinets I do want to hang them lower as storage is limited even in my new design. I may just go with the shelf on corbels to draw the eye up and eliminate the valance. I do thank you for your suggestions; they are appreciated.
April 10, 2014 at 4:25PM     
Kitchen appliances pricing vs. quality
Best designed, most reliable wall ovens?
Need help to revamp my house maybe adding trims...
I would like to add trims to the front of my house...
Basement idea
Need ideas for space, tight budget. Drop ceiling going...
Nook help needed!!!!
I had originally thought of doing one big window box...
What colour wallpaper
I'm wondering what kind of wallpaper would look best...