Help with porch/curb appeal
danieljoethompson
So, it is not cold anymore...no excuse for putting off home projects. I want to sod where the soil is (we took out the rocks), I'd like to trim or take out the bush on the right. I'd like to put in larger, more attractive wood columns on the porch.

1) Any other ideas?
2) Should I put a "pitched" roof on the porch?
3) Should I extend the porch? I don't want it to cover up the natural light in our large window.
4) paint scheme? We don't like the random yellow vinyl siding. I think we do like the shutters though.

We don't have a ton, of money right now. Just trying to do some improvements, and think about some for the future. Any ideas would really be appreciated.
danieljoethompson
Good Morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
April 10, 2014 at 6:07am   
Janice Robinson
Do you actually use the overhang? Do you sit out there? I'd be tempted to just remove it completely and live like that for awhile and see if you even miss it. It looks like an add-on anyway. You might love the added light that you get with it gone.
April 10, 2014 at 6:11am        Thanked by danieljoethompson
Janice Robinson
You're right! That overgrown arborvitae definitely needs to come out!
April 10, 2014 at 6:12am      Thanked by danieljoethompson
apple_pie_order
Do you have more photos taken in bright daylight? Have you settled on a budget range? The first thing is to trim the shrub on the right if spring is the time for it. A foot below the window ledge and a foot away from the house wall are good spacings. You need air circulation next to the house.
April 10, 2014 at 6:30am   
rinqreation
Small changes, big effect:
April 10, 2014 at 6:42am     
garden design online
Replace the porch,windows,the door.
April 10, 2014 at 7:44am     
danieljoethompson
Awesome! Thank yall for your help. The overhang is weird, because it is flat. For that reason it leaks when the snow melts. But I love sitting out there. It's so nice to have this area. It's also a big "plus" because most of the houses on my street/in our neighborhood are 50's ranches, and don't have porches.

rinqreation, I really like that idea. My question is how big/thick columns do I go for. I think I like the blue, but I don't know what other color really looks good there, if any.

Garden Design online, I would love to do what you suggested, we just don't have the money for that right now.

Would we have enough room to put a porch swing and small table and chairs? Do you think updating the light fixture would be good? Painting the shutters?

All small things, but I think it could add a lot...I just can't visualize it, so I don't know what to do!
April 10, 2014 at 7:55am     
danieljoethompson
How much would it cost to extend the porch to the left, as you are looking at the house? New slab, and roof, columns, etc. I don't know if we could do it right now...but that could be an option for the future.
April 10, 2014 at 7:58am   
danieljoethompson
any suggestions to make it not look so "drab"? It just looks a bit old. I love our house. And in the daylight, it is much nicer (sorry about the dark picture). Don't know if painting the shutters, or triangle part would do anything.
April 10, 2014 at 8:16am   
I would replace the downspout with a rain chain , there are several ideas here: http://www.houzz.com/rain-chain-downspout and I would replace the metal thingy's holding up the roof with painted pressure treated wood. Add some comfortable seating, and there you go! At least you have a porch, I have a one-butt entryway.
April 10, 2014 at 8:32am        Thanked by danieljoethompson
danieljoethompson
How about the shutters?
April 10, 2014 at 9:40am   
rinqreation
When replacing the columns (about 4" thick), lower the front of the roof just half an inch, so there's some slope. Be careful not to lower it too much. When it leaks on the house side, fix the seam.

Dig a deep hole where the spout is, place a bottomless barrel with a lid in the hole, fill it with large gravel and put the lid on. Make sure the lid has a hole where the drain pipe will fit through. Place the pipe through the hole and cover up the barrel. We have a drain pit like that next to our shed, where the overflow of our rainbarrel goes to.
April 10, 2014 at 1:40pm     
danieljoethompson
Do you think there is enough room for a porch swing, or any furniture?
April 11, 2014 at 9:32am   
April 11, 2014 at 1:34pm     
rinqreation
Having some fun with your picture :)
April 11, 2014 at 2:08pm        Thanked by danieljoethompson
danieljoethompson
Thanks for the great ideas! I ended up trimming the shrub by the window, and went a little crazy. Hope it blooms fine!
April 14, 2014 at 6:47am   
rinqreation
I somewhat abused my rhodondendron last year, it's an explosion of pink this spring! Hardly any green visible! A good trim can work out really well.
April 14, 2014 at 2:07pm     
Need help with curb appeal. Want a sitting porch
I'm having trouble figuring out how to add curb appeal...
Need help for a front porch to add curb appeal to a split
Need to add curb appeal, would love to add a porch....
Curb Appeal or should I say LACK OF Curb Appeal, HELP!!
Hi All, we are preparing the inside of our Pacific...
Need Porch or front stoop curb appeal ideas!
Driveway will soon be replaced with concrete. We want...
Need help with my room
My room is a kiwi color. And it's twin sized. I am...
Need help for a teen room
My husbands family has a very old bed. It is beautiful...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Kitchen splats backs re opening discussion
Hi all please refer to houzz.com And scroll down to...