Upside down! Relocating kitchen and living space help.
acj574
April 9, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I'm in the process of purchasing first house and found a place with a great location and a huge lot. The only problem is that the two story house has the kitchen and living room space on the second floor and all of the bedrooms on the first floor, and I am really not thrilled with this layout.

Has anyone ever been in this situation and relocated the kitchen and living area to first floor? Is this beyond impossible or just a really huge expensive remodel project?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
In my experience, it has always been more work to install things on the second floor. Do you know why they originally built the kitchen and the living area upstairs? - Are there better views? More light?
1 Like   Thanked by acj574    April 9, 2014 at 7:50AM
jn3344
It would be a lot of expense.

My aunt had that, but her house was what they call a split entry so at the back of the house the first floor was about half underground. When you came in you went up to the LR, kitchen, etc, or down to the bedrooms, FR etc.

I would not buy the house and then go to the expense of completely switching around the floorplan.
0 Likes   Thanked by acj574    April 9, 2014 at 8:05AM
Katie Gooding
Is this a true two story or a split level? What's under the first floor where the bedrooms are currently? If there is a slab underneath where you want the kitchen to go, it's going to take jacking up parts of it to move all the wiring/plumbing, ect, with a crawl space it might now be so bad, but overall this is going to be a MAJOR expense. Unless you are getting a super deal (or think you can live with the house as it is) I think I would move on. With split levels I believe it's normal to put the living areas on the top and bedrooms down below, so I'm also concerned about resale in the future if you flip it around.
0 Likes   Thanked by acj574    April 9, 2014 at 9:53AM
acj574
Thanks for your comments. It's not a split level. It's possible they put the living room up to have the view but can only guess. It's a good wooded view up/down and light is decent on both levels. I believe under the bedrooms, it's slab. I agree, my concern is also resale value along with my overall preference to hand it down. Sounds like a major major project. Appreciate the feedback.
0 Likes   April 9, 2014 at 10:26AM
edithsmom
I grew up in a Pittsburgh suburb in a house that had three bedrooms and full bathroom at street level (and looked, from the outside like a small ranch house) with the living, dining, kitchen, den and 1/2 bath downstairs. The house was built on a hill and the views from the large living room picture window were great. There were two entrances...one at street level and one with stairs at the side of the house and a door into the kitchen. There was a full basement with an exit to the backyard.
While the arrangement was unusual, it worked just fine for family and visitors.
0 Likes   Thanked by acj574    April 9, 2014 at 6:45PM