HELPPPP!!! Need help with my living room. its too blah!!!
avillar321
HELP MEEE!!!! We just recently moved into our new home and the living room needs some life. unfortunately, i am stuck with our sage green couches for a while but this is what i have to work around. i used orange as my accent color which was nice but the original rug we had was way too dark and this new rug we go is too dark for my liking too (i am selling it to a friend). i am open to changing my accent color from orange to something else but i just need advice on how to liven up my living room. I don't prefer to pain the wall just yet so any advice that doesn't yield me painting, i would appreciate. thank you!!
avillar321
Oh and please don't mind the mess........ :-)
April 9, 2014 at 10:52AM     
redu interior design
A good place to start is investing in a good quality area rug that you absolutely love. Think of it as a piece of art for the floor. Once you've selected a rug, you can pull colors from the rug to use in your accessories like pillows, throws and artwork. Lighting is another design element that can completely transform the space. Not only will it make it brighter, but the right lamp of light fixture can create the same type of interest as a sculpture or a piece of art. Good luck and congrats on your new home!
April 9, 2014 at 10:57AM     
avillar321
@redu interior design Thank you!! I am just having issues of seeing what can go with my area rug. :-/ i suck at thinking outside the box.
April 9, 2014 at 10:58AM   
redu interior design
Oh sorry, I thought that your old rug was too dark and you were selling this one to a friend. Do you have a rug that you're working with in this space?
April 9, 2014 at 11:01AM        Thanked by avillar321
April 9, 2014 at 11:01AM      Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@redu interior design Not currently LOL. i am back to square one with trying to find a rug. it's difficult to find a rug with orange at the right price for a larger area rug. I am open to switching to a yellow accent color.
April 9, 2014 at 11:03AM   
avillar321
@warner decor thank you for the suggestions. I am looking for a rug that is a tad bit thicker (like wool). my husband is particular about it being nice and comfy. lol.
April 9, 2014 at 11:04AM   
avillar321
@warner decor ooh i am really liking the zig zagged orange and cream stripe.. i dont think my husband will go for this. any other ideas as to what i can do to spice up the room? I am also thinkijg about changing my accent color to yellow?? do you think it owuld look good?
April 9, 2014 at 11:13AM   
redu interior design
It's hard to tell, but in the photos it looks like you have a lot of yellow tones in the wall and carpet colors. Going with too much yellow might look really dead with these tones. What you could do is look for a rug with orange, navy blue, and a little bit of yellow. Then, you could use tiny bits of yellow as an accent, but your main accent colors would be navy and orange.
April 9, 2014 at 11:23AM     
maddierosegirl
Change the couches to white, to complement the rug and to lighten up the room. Add some decor, table lamps, and metallic mirrors.
April 9, 2014 at 11:29AM     
avillar321
@maddisrosegirl i wish i could change my couch color to anything but what i have right now. but i cant :( this rug is too dark for my liking so I am selling it to my friend, and i am looking for a new rug. any ideas of a metallic mirror?
April 9, 2014 at 11:32AM   
avillar321
@redu interior design Okay, ill look for a rug with those tones.... that might be challenging ??? on it right now.... thank you!
April 9, 2014 at 11:33AM     
April 9, 2014 at 11:39AM     
Ann
You could use a rug, but with carpeting, it's really not necessary. If it were my room, I might start with lamps and tables. You could use the ottomans as a coffee table for the sofa - there are two that match, right? If so, a nice table between the chairs and a good sized lamp would be nice.
April 9, 2014 at 11:43AM   
avillar321
@ann that's what one of my friends said too .... but my husband wants a rug :-/ LOL! but yes, the two ottomans do match.
April 9, 2014 at 11:46AM   
Ann
Well, so maybe try the ottomans side by side as a coffee table. Of course, you can place trays on them so they function more like a coffee table. It looks like you have the right size rug in mind. Some more pics of the room would help and closeups of the sofa color. It doesn't really look sage green in the pic above.
April 9, 2014 at 11:51AM     
avillar321
@ann when its darker, it looks like a brown but in the light or when the sun is out during the day (we live in Wa state so it doesnt happen that often), its a sage green. i will take a few more pics of the living room and share them shortly. :)
April 9, 2014 at 11:55AM   
maddierosegirl
@avillar321, Slip covers for the couch might work. If you go onto my idea book, 'Living Room', If have two metallic mirrors that I am thinking of. There aren't many metallic mirrors on that idea book so, they should be easy to find. The picture that I have attached is a great mirror! You can get it in gold as well if you prefer gold. As for the rug, I agree, it is dark. Something with blues and a tad of brown would look nice. Maybe some white in the rug so that you can accessorize the room with white decor as well. Here is a rug: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400626132706?lpid=82
April 9, 2014 at 12:32PM     
avillar321
@maddierosegirl I like the idea! would this rug work if i stuck with the sage green couch.. no slip cover? You got my mind thinking about slip covers now, and if they are available to fit my couch, sofa, chair and ottomans... where do i begin to look for this?
April 9, 2014 at 2:09PM   
avillar321
@maddierosegirl I am currently on rugsusa.com looking at rugs (of course) that have blue and browns in them.... have you ever checked this site out? they are having a sale right now. :-)
April 9, 2014 at 2:18PM   
avillar321
@maddierosegirl something like this? http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-utica/blue/200BHEV07-508.html Mind you...... i might have to stick with the sage green for a bit. :-/
April 9, 2014 at 2:20PM   
leelee
When it's time to buy new furniture don't buy a complete set with all the pieces the same. For now your furniture looks extremely comfortable.

The orange accent color and rug are good. Try pulling those chairs in toward the middle of the room so you don't just have all of your furniture around the walls. Center the rug in front of the fireplace--this is a must.
April 9, 2014 at 2:24PM     
avillar321
@leelee thanks for the input. :-) i actually sold that rug to my friend. in all honesty, it was just too dark for my liking. it looked more like a red orange. i thought it was gonna be similar to the tone of the pillows shown on the couches. I wasn't into decorating or making our place look homey back then as i am now. these couches are cold but are still going strong.. like really strong. i do foresee us getting a new couch set and when we do, best believe i will not be making it so "matchy matchy" LOL
April 9, 2014 at 4:38PM     
njmomma
rug
April 9, 2014 at 5:19PM     
wakeupsandy28
avillar321 I think I have the same rug! I'm going to follow this feed =)
April 9, 2014 at 5:27PM     
heppster
I think your room has too many neutral solid colors everywhere and you need to mix it up some more with some patterns and texture. Since you are stuck with the sage couches, look for a rug where that is just a minor color -maybe the franklin rug from potterybarn that adds a brighter red into the room. It also has a bit of orange and tan in it too. If you have money for a coffee table look At the Halle white distressed one on wayfair or the Griffen at PB. It'll add a rustic element and texture. You could get matching side tables or nesting tables which will add interest. Put a basket of books on one for more texture or wrought iron candle holders. As for a lamp it would be cool to get a big one that makes a statement like the Chelsea or Winslow from PB that hangs over the couch or chairs. For pillows I'd add some interest so buy some pillow covers that aren't just plain. PB has neutral ones with a button in the middle for interest or plain velvet or find ones with short fringe around them. Personally i change my pillow covers out each season to change the mood. Adding some drapery would really warm up the room too. I'd stay pretty neutral on those So maybe a tan on tan weave or if you prefer shades, I like the bamboo look or you could do both together. Also I'd put the two chairs chairs size by side across from the couch. Leave a space between them for a side table. Hope this helps
April 9, 2014 at 5:47PM        Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@heppster. i am definitely looking at drapery. i did plan on keep them neutral.... i do like the bamboo idea. have any input as to where i may be able to find panel bamboo? I want it to just be merely decorate and put the on the side of the window as opposed to covering the window all together.
April 9, 2014 at 6:01PM   
avillar321
@wakeupsandy28 follow away :-)
April 9, 2014 at 6:47PM   
mjlb
Don't know your budget, but just saw this in Overstock:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Transitional-Oriental-Pattern-Red-Orange-Rug-10-Round/8183065/product.html

I think round could work in your space, to give it some more interest.

Or http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Treasures-Light-Blue-Ivory-Wool-Rug-83-x-11/5767659/product.html?refccid=PQHEORGYSTEIIWSADCWYI6WZSQ&searchidx=62

I like this one better, as the orange is truly just an accent.
April 9, 2014 at 7:03PM   
mjlb
in your room
April 9, 2014 at 7:35PM     
maddierosegirl
@avillar321 That rug would look great! Hmmm, slip covers. You might try Overstock? I will let you know if I find something that would look really good.
April 9, 2014 at 8:27PM   
avillar321
@mjlb wow.. you are awesome!!!! love the idea.
April 9, 2014 at 8:28PM   
Brandi Nash Hicks
I know that there is a product that you can use to change the color of your sofas,it is a fabric paint that comes in a spray can like spray paint .i have seen it on you tube ,maybe you could check it out
April 9, 2014 at 8:37PM     
avillar321
@brandi nash hicks really!?!! wow, i have never heard of such a thing. i will check it out :-) thank you
April 9, 2014 at 8:38PM   
redu interior design
The rectangular rug with the pale blue background that @mjib found above looks like a great option. It brightens up the space, looks like it will go well with your existing furniture, and gives you the option of using both yellow and orange as accent colors. It also looks like it gives you the freedom to go with lighter upholstery when you purchase new sofa and chairs, if that's the direction you want to go when you get to that point.
April 10, 2014 at 12:21AM     
hatetoshop
Looks like you have lots of rug advice. One other thing you might consider is rearranging your sofa and chairs. At the moment, none of the seating faces the tv/fireplace, and your built-ins are hidden. Is there room for the sofa to sit across from the tv with the two armchairs on either side?
April 10, 2014 at 3:36AM        Thanked by avillar321
housegal200
Agree with hatetoshop that if you can float your couch facing fireplace/TV and flank the chairs by the fireplace, you'll get a cozier, conversational feel in the room. Plus you'll be facing the room's best features, the fireplace, two small windows, and built-in bookshelves. If there's even more room behind the couch, put a console sofa table behind it or a throw in your accent color.

I like mjib's second rug where there's just a tiny bit of orange, and that rug is light enough to balance out the heaviness of the sage furniture. If you float the couch and go with mjib's pale, second rug, find a pale teal throw to hang off the back of the couch to break up all that dark sage. (With that rug, you could also go teal, pale turqoise accents, which complement all that sage in a softer way than orange, which is as intense as all that sage. Yellow is the same color value as your tan walls, so yellow won't work well.)
April 10, 2014 at 4:42AM        Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@hatetoshop yes there's actually alot of room for that to happen. I was envisioning it.... would it make less of a difference if i put the loveseat (2 seater) facing the tv/fp and left the sofa where it was and planked the chair across from that? I currently like how its open to walk into the living room. your thoughts?
April 10, 2014 at 6:08AM   
avillar321
@hatetoshop in any case, changing the lay out of the sofa and chairs will allow me to turn the rug because its "perperdicular" to the tv/fp.
April 10, 2014 at 6:10AM   
Laura Fore Myers
I really like navy with sage. Less harsh than black.
April 10, 2014 at 6:13AM     
avillar321
Okay.......so yesterday i stumbled across this rug and because it was lighter it just appealed to me. i was always opposed to something lighter, and always wanted something on the dark side but not too dark but after numerous rugs of my original intent (and it not working), i decided to just to light and got a rug with grays and yellow (dun dun dunnnn). Which just concerns me now because the a few folks said that yellow wouldn't work but it's not looking like a horrible option right now. It's 100000x better than looking at the darker rug i originally had before i layed out the orange one. I am attaching a photo......
April 10, 2014 at 6:16AM     
housegal200
That rug actually does look great, though you're limiting your palette to two colors. We'd all like to see what happens when you float your couch so that it faces the fireplace wall with the chairs flanking the fireplace.
April 10, 2014 at 6:22AM     
avillar321
@housegal200 yes, you do make a good point. i am limiting my color palette. i just really needed something asap cuz my living room was such an eye sore for me; it just needed a quick uplift. this is def a work in progress. when i see something else that i know work, at the right price of course.... i would def grab it. ( know that i know what to really go for and luckily my husband has gotten used to me buying and returning... i change my designing decisions like i change my underwear LOL)

Would it make less of a diff if i left the couch where it was.... and floated the loveseat (2 seater) to face the tv/fp. And umm not sure what you mean by flanking.... :-/
April 10, 2014 at 6:27AM   
mjlb
Flanking the chairs means placing one on each side of the fireplace opening, facing into the room. I see two chairs and a sofa, but no loveseat?
April 10, 2014 at 6:37AM     
avillar321
@mjlb in the picture.... the chair is facing the photographer (me)... the other one on the same side of it image, is a loveseat. it's not a chair.
April 10, 2014 at 6:39AM   
tbiancam
Hi! I think moving your furniture like this would look much better: couch facing the fireplace, armchairs on each side of the couch and since you don't have a coffee table, you can use the other two items (don't know that they're called) for thar purpose and place then between the couch and the fireplace.
Since you said your husband would like a comfy rug, how about a fluffy one in beige or cream? And add color only withe the decorations: some white flowers would look good in that green vase you have. You can also keep the orange pillows you have and add some other decor items like the ones in the picture below. I think that light is important; you could add some lightning thing between the two windows on the left wall. And what about a nice chandelier in the cealing?
Hope I helped, good luck!
April 10, 2014 at 7:34AM   
avillar321
@tbiancam I moved the couch to face the fire place and i thought it looked a bit dark to me. the reaosn i say is this because we have dark hard wood flooring. the "breakfast nook" is in between the kitchen. its one big open space. when i put the couch there, it just looked so much darker with the dark couch semi close to the dark hard wood flooring. you mentioned to put arm chairs on the side of the couch... would this mean getting rid of the love seat and the chair i currently have now?? ohh and those other two items...ottomans. i did think about putting those together to great a coffee table and maybe putting a try over it. but back to what you suggested... if i had to get rid of those other couch and loveseat... my husband wouldn't go for it. i already got rid of the orange rug. for now, i did get a lighter rug that has yellow and grey which seems to work wiht the couch currently but like someone else said earlier.. it does limit my color palette. def a work in progress. i am still looking for THE perfect rug that will wow me at the right price. i am looking for a more contemporary rug, with blues, yellow and grays, a little orange would work for me...and some green.
April 10, 2014 at 7:41AM   
tbiancam
I forgot to mention putting a console table behind the couch in case you decide to move your furniture around.
April 10, 2014 at 7:49AM     
avillar321
@tbiancam what if i moved the loveseat to face the tv/fp and let the couch as is. would that make a diff?
April 10, 2014 at 7:51AM   
avillar321
@tbiancam i am posting an image of what our layout looks like so you can see. i did rearrange it so see what it would look like (i didnt take a pic) and i thought it was too dark because the sage couch near the dark flooring against our also dark dining room set just made it feel to dark and tight. thoughts??
April 10, 2014 at 7:55AM   
avillar321
Ughh i really like this rugg but it's really $$$ :'( ...even with the discount
http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-sterling/natural/200SEMA44A-76096.html
April 10, 2014 at 7:59AM   
tbiancam
well in that case ignore the comment about the console table. And I didn't suggest getting rid of any furniture, you probably misunderstood me. :) Anyways, Maybe replacing the sutters with curtains would let the light in better...
April 10, 2014 at 8:06AM     
tbiancam
I'm not sure that placing the loveseat in front of the fireplace would look very well, but how about exchanging places: put the couch where the loveseat is and the loveseat where the couch is and maybe adding some floor lenght curtains would make the room look taller.
April 10, 2014 at 8:12AM     
avillar321
@tbiancam i probably did. i read quickly lol sorry about that. so given the layout.... what are your thoughts? i really do like the idea of a console table behind the couch or loveseat if it was facing the tv/fp but because it's close proximity to the breakfast nook, it make its a bit challenging and less open.
April 10, 2014 at 8:14AM   
Libbmom
Put a table with lamp between the two windows and place chairs closer to the table, make sure sofa is facing window wall, centered, put table on left hand side of sofa, while sitting, with lamp, put the two ottomans out as your coffee table maybe with a substantial tray sitting on it but they can also be moved around for your feet...find some art for over the sofa that is not heavy.
April 10, 2014 at 8:16AM   
avillar321
@tbiancam yes, i will def get some curtains.. im just having a hard time find ones that i like, and at the length. our ceilings are 9 feet tall. and do you suggest doing 2 rods or a single rod?
April 10, 2014 at 8:16AM   
Ann
I really like the rug you bought yesterday! I like it much better than the rug you like at rugsusa. I would definitely move the ottomans to use as ottomans to put your feet on or paired as a coffee table with trays.
April 10, 2014 at 8:21AM     
avillar321
@ann thank you! i def like this rug 1000x better, too! I have less of an eye sore with the change in rug. slowly getting there. i reallyyyyyy like this rug but its too $$$ even with the 50% discount. but someething like that.. lighter but with various colors is perfect! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-sterling/natural/200SEMA44A-76096.html
April 10, 2014 at 8:26AM   
Ann
Which one is too expensive? The one you bought yesterday? I'd go with that one.
April 10, 2014 at 8:29AM   
avillar321
@ann no, the rug that i really like that i saw online. can you see this link? ------> http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-sterling/natural/200SEMA44A-76096.html
April 10, 2014 at 8:34AM   
Wow Great Place
Keep the rug you have in your more recent picture, even with ochre/grey/cream, that does not at all mean you are limiting your palette!
Who said the RUG needs to have all the colours of the room in it?
So can a couple of pillows.....if you find pillows, say with the rug colours plus a pop of something else, then that allows you to expand on the colours in the room....it can be in art, in pillows, a vase, etc.
I think that this new rug option you found is beautiful in the room! Stop fretting about the rug, I say, you found it! (And I totally agree with Ann, the one you have now is much better than the rugsusa option in your link)
April 10, 2014 at 8:35AM     
avillar321
@wow great place YAY!!! okay. i won't fret! :-) it wasn't really a rule per se that was said but as a starting point, they said to pull the colors from your rug. but speaking of pillows... i did find a pillow that i liked alot which had a bunch of other colors which gave me the idea to throw in other colors... what do you think? its the pillow on the far left....
April 10, 2014 at 8:38AM     
Craig CraigMDesigns
I loved your gray and yellow rug and it really lightened up the room. The color scheme of the olive sofa and gold in the rug just needs some rich orange pillows and pottery to make it all work. Bamboo blinds and natural linen drapes would complement all the colors. Down the line I'd plan to change the tile on the fireplace to something more lively. Good luck!
April 10, 2014 at 8:39AM     
avillar321
@craigmdesign when you say rich? how rich is rich? care to share any examples? :-) and yessss, i do plan on changing the tile of the fireplace. its too light. should be an easy DIY right?? LOL
April 10, 2014 at 8:42AM   
Wow Great Place
I like that funky pillow on the left! I also like the yellow one....the red tones, a little less, but perhaps tuck it in behind, so it's there, but not as front and center. I like mixing things up like that, just need to consider balance. Well done!
April 10, 2014 at 8:42AM        Thanked by avillar321
tbiancam
I would say 2 rods. Oh, or how about placing the couch on the other wall, have one chair next to it and the other chair on the right corner, next to the fireplace, and the ottomans in the middle. This might open up the space quite a lot.
April 10, 2014 at 8:44AM   
avillar321
@wow great place it takes me aloooot of trial and error and feedback to get the balance. it took me hourssssssssss of back and forth trips at target to get the balance of colors for my bedroom. slowlyyy, getting there. :-) so this is just the couch.. i do have a love seat and a chair.... they dont have pillows yet because i was just testing out accent pillows. I do want to get a throw pillow... what color do you recommend? yellow? also, i will be looking for drapes soon.... would a gray be ok?
April 10, 2014 at 8:45AM   
avillar321
@tbiancam not quite understanding the layout ... lol sorry. this couch set is pretty big... if i am thinking what you are saying... i dont think it would fit... so i must be thinking something else lol
April 10, 2014 at 8:47AM   
tbiancam
no, I think you got it right this time. I was also thinking it might not fit but I just wanted to share that idea as well, you never know :)
April 10, 2014 at 8:53AM   
Wow Great Place
Avillar, one thing I always tell me clients, is to listen to your heart when choosing anything for your home.
Something happens to people when I work with them, every single time. There comes a moment, whether we are choosing a single paint colour, or redoing the entire house, where they see something, and their heart starts to flutter. You can SEE it in their facial expression.
I try to teach my clients to recognize that feeling, because it is their instinct telling them that they MUST incorporate this "thing" (whatever it may be) into their environment.
When I show them something, there are always clues in their reaction that tells me whether we are hitting a homerun, bunting, or totally striking out.
Did your heart flutter more when you saw the rug in your house, compared to the first one you had? If it did, then learn to know what that feels like, and learn to rely on your instincts. If part of you is unsure, then maybe you need to just walk away and come back to it if it calls your name, or just move on altogether.
April 10, 2014 at 8:53AM        Thanked by avillar321
Wow Great Place
Oh, and if you are totally overwhelmed, then hire someone for an hour or two to help you through the myriad of choices! Just remember, it is YOUR house, so YOU have to love it.
April 10, 2014 at 8:55AM   
avillar321
@wow great place That flutter and the rug? it's not a yes, but a HELL YES! :-)

I'm heading to Target today to return some stuff...... i hope i get that flutter again. ;)

I do need some assistance with the drapes. what color should i go for? gray? single rod or double?
April 10, 2014 at 8:57AM   
avillar321
@wow great place i do get overwhelmed when i am thinking about too many things at once. I bombarded myself with making one shopping trip to find everything that matched. but i am realizing, i like things to not be so matchy matchy anymore. slowly but surely i am learning.. yay me!
April 10, 2014 at 8:59AM     
Wow Great Place
For your drapes, any one of those choices could work....and so can a patterned fabric, so be patient! This is not a race, it is a journey!
Why a double rod, I am not following that line of thinking...(didn't read every comment)

Oh, and one more point....if you are hearing "I think that'll do" in your head, then wait, don't buy it. You have to hear "that's IT!"
April 10, 2014 at 9:04AM     
redu interior design
The rug you purchased and posted the photo of looks like another good option. Yes, it has yellow in it but it's not all yellow. I think it is neutral enough that you could use almost any color as an accent. I absolutely don't think you need to only use the colors in the rug as the only colors in the room. I would just use the yellow accent sparingly because of the color of your walls and wall-to-wall carpet. Also, I just noticed in this feed that you're in WA state. If you happen to be in the Vancouver, WA area, I would be happy to do a complimentary design consultation as I'm in Portland and we often do our initial consultations for free.
April 10, 2014 at 9:05AM     
avillar321
@wow great place good point on the "this is not a race, it's a journey!" so thank you for that reminder.
April 10, 2014 at 9:08AM     
avillar321
@redu interior design Aww bummer!! I actually live in Oly so just a bit further North from you. Would have been awesome though. I am working on the living room now.. I could use some assistance w the other rooms.
April 10, 2014 at 9:09AM   
shelleyuk
Love the new rug. It's much better. Your biggest problem with this room now is that you need a coffee table Your room doesn't look right because you have a load of seating facing inwards but no focal point (the coffee table) to finish the room and allow you to add accessories. You need to draw the eye away from the circle of seating and plain walls and into the centre of the space.
April 10, 2014 at 9:10AM     
avillar321
@shelleyuk thanks for the input. i tried to put out 2 ottomans together to create a coffeetable but it didn't look good. this is how i have it right now.... i put the ottoman in front of the chair to break up that circle feel. still, i dont have a focal point but my husband isn't keen on having an actual table, to make it baby proof.
April 10, 2014 at 9:12AM   
avillar321
@shelleyuk this is how i put it .....

Don't the the lack of accessories... i will be working on that next. just wanted to get the carpet down and will get more pillows for the loveseat and the chair.
April 10, 2014 at 9:15AM   
Wow Great Place
LOL the baby years trumps a coffee table!
We spend a couple of years on the floor with them, so keep it open, and worry about a coffee table (or small tables on the sides that can be brought into the middle for those rare occasions you might spend with grown ups without children....which is not likely for years to come)
If this were the formal living room, yes, you need a coffee table, but baby years? Not critical. Or, get something nice and low-ish that baby will pull up on to learn to walk.
Heck, I had one client that wrapped all the hard metal edges of her glass/metal coffee table with grey plumber pipe insulation and cable ties, to keep the baby from cracking her head open! It actually looked like it had been designed that way, and the glass top was easy-peasy to clean!
April 10, 2014 at 9:17AM   
redu interior design
So far, I totally agree with @ wow Great Place. She's giving you great advice. These forums can be great for getting advice but sometimes they're overwhelming as you get lots of bits and pieces of advice from several different sources, which just causes more confusion.
April 10, 2014 at 9:17AM     
shelleyuk
Try the ottomans next to one another in the centre but with a gap in between them rather than pushed together. Then put a tray on each and a couple of accessories. See how that looks. If they are flat enough they may work as coffee tables but if they are well stuffed they might not. Ottomans tend to look better as coffee tables when they have legs IMO.

If you want a baby proofed table a circular or oval one would be good. No sharp corners. I understand where he's coming from though, our youngest fell and split his eyebrow open on our square coffee table when he was 18 months. It then lived in the garage for the next five years and made me feel sick whenever I saw it!
April 10, 2014 at 9:17AM     
shelleyuk
Crossed posts there. That looks much better already.
April 10, 2014 at 9:18AM     
avillar321
@wow great place YESSSS i agree.. i have noticed that with everrry one's house with a young child. no coffee table and if there was one, it was moved to the side against the wall or move elsewhere. i did however do this.. i changed the way i put it togetehr... the last time i put the ottomans togeher, the middle part was facing me and it looked blah... here it is:

I could work both ways... when i need the open space, i could move the ottomans to the first pic. and if not, i could put the "coffee table" there. :-)
April 10, 2014 at 9:21AM     
Ann
I totally agree - it is looking much nicer! When you have some help, please move the rug a little to the right so the front legs of the sofa are on it. I think I would just center the width of the rug with the fireplace. I might replace the art wall over the sofa with one large canvas.
April 10, 2014 at 9:25AM     
Ann
I like the ottomans as a coffee table!
April 10, 2014 at 9:26AM     
avillar321
@ann I can do that right now LOL. it's no biggie. :-) i'll be on the look out for some art.... care to share any suggestions?
April 10, 2014 at 9:26AM     
Wow Great Place
Ann is right, the rug should move to be tucked under the front legs of the sofa, it will look more balanced.
And one large canvas is never a bad thing!
Off to see a client now, gotta earn my living! This was fun!
April 10, 2014 at 9:27AM        Thanked by avillar321
Wow Great Place
Avillar, art should ABSOLUTELY be a heart flutterer, so don't rely on suggestions, go look! LOL
April 10, 2014 at 9:28AM     
redu interior design
If you're interested in a consultation, we could work something out with a trip charge. Give me a call if you'd like to discuss. 503.804.4974
April 10, 2014 at 9:30AM   
Libbmom
Maybe the things that you have over sofa could go on the wall between windows...also need lighting...can the chair and love seat move back a little?
April 10, 2014 at 9:32AM   
avillar321
@wow great place thanks so much for all your input!!!!!!!!! check back later, i do have more "projects" in mind and could also use your advice :) thanks again!!
April 10, 2014 at 9:33AM   
Libbmom
Pick some art that brightens the space...
April 10, 2014 at 9:33AM   
shelleyuk
That latest picture looks the best with the ottomans as the coffee table. Very baby friendly too. I agree about shifting the rug and the art. Try ebay for art, I've found some amazing stuff on there (although you need to shield your eyes on occasion from the "art nudes" ) and the best thing is that nobody else will have the same thing hanging on their wall.
April 10, 2014 at 9:36AM   
avillar321
@libbmom yes, i do have space for it to move back.... here is my space... our living is pretty large.. like 25x20 ish... see attached:
April 10, 2014 at 9:36AM   
Ann
Well, you said you were headed to Target, so I looked on their website. Here are two options I think you could order on Target.com. Each of these options would be a pair of two, hung side by side. I think the first set comes in one size only and you'd need the largest size of the size options of the second set.
April 10, 2014 at 9:38AM   
Libbmom
Once you put rug under front feet of sofa...will you be able to move these two back so feet can be on rug also ?
April 10, 2014 at 9:40AM   
avillar321
@libbmom is this making the other chairs face the couch?
April 10, 2014 at 9:42AM   
Libbmom
I would leave them angled
April 10, 2014 at 9:44AM   
avillar321
@libbmom i think one issue is... the area rug i have is 7x10 and it is kind of small for the area as a whole.
April 10, 2014 at 9:44AM   
avillar321
@libbmom okay, let me try that right now.
April 10, 2014 at 9:45AM   
Libbmom
Is larger rug possible? I do like that rug...
April 10, 2014 at 9:45AM   
Ann
Don't know why the second set of art came out different picture sizes like that. But, yes, art is very personal so you'll need to look. Check out greatbigcanvas.com and art.com. You can look for hours! The art over the sofa should be about 75% of the length of the back of the sofa (so quite big). It could be one horizontal piece, or a side by side pair, or a trio.
April 10, 2014 at 9:47AM   
Ann
I would just leave the furniture as arranged in this pic and move the rug to the right so it's centered on the fireplace. Whatever front legs land on the rug should be fine.
April 10, 2014 at 9:49AM     
avillar321
@libbmom 7x10 is the largest. i could get another one LOL!!! and make one large one
April 10, 2014 at 9:50AM   
Ann
Oops, forgot the pic.
April 10, 2014 at 9:50AM   
Ann
Just try this one rug moved to the right and let's see how it looks.
April 10, 2014 at 9:51AM   
avillar321
How's this??
April 10, 2014 at 9:54AM     
Libbmom
Looking good...
April 10, 2014 at 9:55AM   
avillar321
okay, lets shift to another part of this living room. The built in shelves........ I am thinking about adding color to the backing of the shelves. a light gray? or is this too neutral? And i also don't know what accessories to add on top of the book shelves. FYI, I will be take those speakers down. i can remove them from the stand that holds it upright and may it flat on the mantle or figure something else out. thought??
April 10, 2014 at 9:58AM   
Ann
Very nice!!! I really like the new rug and I think the size is fine. I would change the angle of the loveseat just a tiny bit by moving the side closest to the window just a few inches forward (toward the sofa). Leave the right front corner (where the kitty is) exactly where it currently is.
April 10, 2014 at 10:00AM     
avillar321
@ann DONE! :-) thank you!!!
April 10, 2014 at 10:03AM     
mayflower
Repaint the walls and maybe change the color of the rug or change to hardwood hardwood is way easier to clean
April 10, 2014 at 10:05AM     
Ann
I need to head out to run errands. I think your room looks wonderful compared to the first pic in the discussion! The rug is really great and I love the ottomans as a coffee table!!!!! Sounds like you want to tackle the shelves next, but if it were my room, I might work on nice large art for over the sofa. The shelves don't look bad, maybe just a bit of tweaking. Please don't over clutter the room by adding a bunch of new accessories. If you take the art wall down, maybe some of those pics can move to the shelves????
April 10, 2014 at 10:08AM     
avillar321
@ann I could do that.... I'll look for some art :-) come back soon hehehe and thank you for all your help and suggestions!!! you're rock!
April 10, 2014 at 10:09AM   
Libbmom
Ditto to Ann...think room looks great...the only thing else, other than what she mentioned...is lighting...
April 10, 2014 at 10:10AM        Thanked by avillar321
Ann
I can't even tell you how much I think your rug choice transformed your room. Great job picking that rug!!!!!
avillar321
@ann YAYYY!!!! :-) thanksssss *patting my back* :-)

@libbmom Ok, let's talk lighting. What are you suggestions??? someone suggested a lamp that drooped over one of the couches?? what do you think?
April 10, 2014 at 10:12AM   
Libbmom
I am not a fan of drooping lights...just something I am sure I would bump my noggin on...let me think on it...but off to move a bookcase and yard work for a little while...I would probably even wait until you decide on art work...maybe a color in there that you would want to pick for lamp shades...
April 10, 2014 at 10:35AM   
avillar321
@libbmom Ok :-) art work it is and then we'll go to bookshelves.... although ive already started moving the pics from the wall and on to the bookshelf lol.. just trying it out. thanks for all your help . check back in :)
April 10, 2014 at 10:37AM   
Ann
Great plan (art work). Remember to get the perfect scale - measure the length of the back of the sofa and make sure the single piece or multiple pieces are about 75% of that length. For height, I think you'd need a minimum of 24" tall - more would be better. If a pair or trio, they should be placed about 3-4" apart. I'd definitely check out greatbigcanvas.com because you can find an image and a whole bunch of size options are offered for that image.
April 10, 2014 at 11:09AM     
avillar321
@ann sweet i will def take a look. one issue i have is.... the wall and where the couch is, isn't perfect center. I have a closet that in the corner..can't really see it. with that said, i do plan on getting a large piece but it could look off from the couch.
April 10, 2014 at 11:11AM   
shelleyuk
I'd now be bringing in lamps. Two of them. Ideally one each side of the sofa on lamp tables but if the low table thing is still an issue then maybe get a console table for behind the armchairs and put both lamps on there. You need layers of lighting in a good room.
April 10, 2014 at 11:13AM   
avillar321
@shelleyuk do you have any suggestions? i will be dropping by target later so maybe something from there.
April 10, 2014 at 11:15AM   
shelleyuk
I'd also change out your small nipple light for something larger with a pendant fitting rather than a flush fitting so that it again brings the eye down and creates some interest.
April 10, 2014 at 11:15AM   
shelleyuk
I'll look on their website in a minute. Just have to put the kids to bed (I'm in England).
April 10, 2014 at 11:16AM   
avillar321
@shelleyuk is this something that's easy to do? like a DIY kind of deal? I am open to the idea, as i think it would create some interest but will this not be an issue or get in the way of the tv?
April 10, 2014 at 11:17AM   
avillar321
@shelleyuk. Oohh!! Okay, I'll be "here". :-) thank you so much!
April 10, 2014 at 11:17AM   
Ann
Oh, I see that closet behind the sofa. It still looks like you could center about a 48" piece of art over the sofa, right? It will be important that the art is centered over the sofa and not off to the left. I'd tackle one thing at a time, really get it right and then move on to the next thing. You pretty much nailed the rug thing. Just do the same with art, lol. Then you can move to lighting and drapes, making sure you get just the right scale each time. I drive everyone crazy preaching about the right scale, but that's where I've made almost all my decorating mistakes:)
April 10, 2014 at 11:26AM   
avillar321
@ann let me take a photo so you can see what im talking about.... i am looking for art now.. actually saw something that i reallllllly liked at the site you recommended... but with the "off sided" of the couch, just wanna be sure im good.
April 10, 2014 at 11:28AM   
avillar321
here it is. from this side, everything is off LOL
April 10, 2014 at 11:31AM   
avillar321
oh, and dont mind the photos.. i started taking them down LOL
April 10, 2014 at 11:31AM   
Ann
Can you post a link to what you saw on the website? Then, please get out the tape measure and we'll calculate size with the door in mind.
April 10, 2014 at 11:31AM   
avillar321
@ann I really like this one:
http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/morning-fjord,1059582/?
s=Htv1art4anemhss3cEaKuwzCbMQ3zVQWFXlyaENN4E81zbnaKoxnjHeEfBQv

And I did measure it.. the couch is 6 1/2 feet long
April 10, 2014 at 11:33AM     
Ann
That's a useful picture! How far is the back of the sofa from that wall? I'm now thinking maybe large square art.
April 10, 2014 at 11:34AM   
avillar321
@ann it's about 3 feet 4 inches from the wall.
April 10, 2014 at 11:36AM   
nramsey1
Is there room to put the chairs side by side against the wall opposite the couch?
April 10, 2014 at 11:36AM   
Ann
Oh, that's beautifu! Now that I see the situation, though, see what you can find that is square. This will take a bit of thought to figure out the best solution.
April 10, 2014 at 11:37AM   
avillar321
@nramsey1 yes there is.
April 10, 2014 at 11:38AM   
avillar321
@ann one possible solution is to buy a large square canvas and paint it ourselves. throwin in the colors similar to the link. my husband sorta likes to do this kind of stuff. ill look for square though.
April 10, 2014 at 11:39AM   
Ann
avillar321 - there is a Houzz user named groveraxle that is great with art suggestions. I've found a discussion she's at today and asked her to pop over here. If she does, she has software where she can show you art on your wall. She's a huge help with art, so hopefully she'll stop by! Grover, it's the wall behind the sofa where we're thinking large art would be nice. Picture of that wall is just a few comments up from here.
April 10, 2014 at 11:46AM   
joancuneo
@Ann I agree with you. Center a large canvas/picture over the couch. Yes.
April 10, 2014 at 11:49AM   
Ann
Joan, see the door in the picture of the sofa a few comments above? That's kind of an issue for centering the art.
April 10, 2014 at 11:51AM   
avillar321
@ann @joancuneo that darn closet! lol
April 10, 2014 at 11:55AM   
First you don't need area rug you have carpet. All your furniture matches, a no no. And color is not good. But you have to keep. Try going shades of yellow as a accent. Go from mustard to canary. Prints and solid. Mix up size also, and put a lot of pillows In Those shape n color. On All furn. Turn sofa so it's looking at TV floating in room. Place one chair on each side of sofa. With a big 24-36" coffee table in glass or a light color, if using a ottoman.
April 10, 2014 at 12:01PM     
Ann
OK, so I'm thinking about the art you love done in a triptych and just center the group on the available wall (between the shelves and the closet). I'd probably order the 16x24 triptych ($285), but if you "like" greatbigcanvas.com, they'll give you a 25% coupon, so $213 with coupon. If you hung the three pieces with 3" between each, it would span 54" of wall space.
April 10, 2014 at 12:04PM     
Paint the back of bookcases a mustard yellow. Place items like tall pots and bloods, candles. TJNax has great decor items as well as pillows at good price. On bigger windows put panels on ends of window on a brush nickel rod. In your accent color. On small windows by TV, put bamboo shades. Lowes, or a Home Depot carry.
April 10, 2014 at 12:05PM   
avillar321
@ann WOW!!! for a nice discount, heck yes i will "like" them :-) 16x24... do you think this may be too small?
April 10, 2014 at 12:07PM   
I agree maybe slip cover big chairs in a off white. Anything to break up that same color. Go on line to find. Measure chair first.
April 10, 2014 at 12:07PM   
Ann
Let's look at a side by side to see how the colors work.
April 10, 2014 at 12:07PM   
avillar321
@travisinteriors yes, i am def planning on painting the back of the bookshelves. I'm not sure about the mustard yellow though. Open to it but i would need to see it first. Thanks for the input!
April 10, 2014 at 12:08PM   
If you must have August. The one by njmomma, is nice. Take color from that for accent color either the teal or lime. Would work.
April 10, 2014 at 12:09PM   
avillar321
@ann i like it.. i do want to incorporate blues in there.. I wanted to paint the back of my shelves a blue... what do you think? Travisinteriors recommended a mustard yellow.
April 10, 2014 at 12:10PM   
Ann
Well, each one is 16 wide and 24 high, so the group would be 54 wide x 24 high. You could tape that size on the wall to see how it would look. Don't rush into ordering - get lots of comments and maybe grover will stop by and place it on your wall.
April 10, 2014 at 12:11PM   
Typo should be if you must have a rug. Not August. If going with one above by njmomma paint back of bookcase one of the colors from that rug. The blue is vey nice.
April 10, 2014 at 12:11PM   
owFotografik
Maybe try some bright colorful artwork?
April 10, 2014 at 12:12PM   
avillar321
@ann OHHH!!! LOL okay, sorry i read too fast. :-) i'll def take my time with the art. but something with blue or teal (like travisinteriors) recommended in there. I want to paint the back of my shelves some shade of blue.
April 10, 2014 at 12:12PM   
Ann
I'm a bit more boring - I might paint the back of those shelves a medium gray:) The art you like definitely has possibilities though! Even if you just put a piece of tape at the corners of the 54x24 rectangle, that would help to envision the look.
April 10, 2014 at 12:14PM   
avillar321
@travisinteriors i've already gotten rid of the dark orange couch. And went with a lighter rug... this is what im working with now.
April 10, 2014 at 12:15PM   
avillar321
@ann does putting the pics on the shelf like that... make it look cluttered? my husband is digging it though.
April 10, 2014 at 12:16PM   
Ann
Oh, and regarding painting a piece yourself. That could work but about a month ago, a Houzzer tried it and didn't like it. They ended up buying something.
April 10, 2014 at 12:16PM   
avillar321
@travisinteriors OOPS i mean dark orange rug not couch
April 10, 2014 at 12:17PM   
avillar321
@ann LOL ok. duly noted! :)
April 10, 2014 at 12:17PM   
Ann
No, the pics on the shelf are fine - might need some tweaking of the arrangement, but let's get to that tweaking later. I'm kind of a "one task at a time" thinker:)
April 10, 2014 at 12:19PM   
avillar321
@ann LOL good idea. thanks for bringing me back into the current situation. :-)
April 10, 2014 at 12:20PM   
Ann
OK, I'm off. I'll stop by later. Very fun Houzz discussion and I think your room will look great! I really like the current furniture/rug arrangement. It's very inviting.
April 10, 2014 at 12:21PM   
avillar321
@ann Thank you for all your help!!!!! I'm off to eat some lunch.
April 10, 2014 at 12:22PM   
shelleyuk
I'm back but am slow at typing now since I've just tipped a kettle of water over my typing hand. How about wallpaper for the back of your shelves. You can stick it in with foam fixers very easily and its simple to change when you get bored. I'm just in the process of doing it in my kitchen cabinets and it looks great. If you're painting I'd pick the grey out of the rug.
April 10, 2014 at 12:30PM     
indomom
Just a gentle reminder--there is one chair and one loveseat, not 2 chairs. Looking forward to art, avillar!
April 10, 2014 at 12:34PM   
avillar321
@shelleyuk adding color to the shelves is def on the list. im good with gray, too. :-)
April 10, 2014 at 12:36PM   
avillar321
@shelleyuk i do like the idea of not actually painting it. i do get bored easily :)
April 10, 2014 at 12:37PM   
shelleyuk
http://www.target.com/p/threshold-artisan-glass-jug-lamp-base/-/A-15090725#prodSlot=medium_1_4

These are nice and a great price. The blue would pick up the colour in that artwork
April 10, 2014 at 12:46PM     
avillar321
@shelleyuk very nice. white shades?
April 10, 2014 at 12:48PM   
shelleyuk
Off white maybe to tie in with the base colour in the rug.
April 10, 2014 at 12:51PM   
avillar321
@shelley Ok like the idea. now for placement.... i need to figure that one out. i do like the idea of the console in the back of the couch or the loveseat. but i would like to see how it looks with the art first, which im working on finding. that, or put it behind the loveseat. i have this awkward space behind the loveseat so thinking maybe adding a thin console with a shelf in the middle where i could put (a) storage basket(s). trying to keep the whole "baby proof" in mind too.
April 10, 2014 at 12:56PM   
Ann
avillar, I like those target lamps but they're very small. Please don't forget about the scale:) Lamp size is where I've messed up the most.
April 10, 2014 at 1:02PM   
Ann
Also, if you plan to buy table lamps vs floor lamps, you'll want to get the tables first so you can determine the right height and size for the lamps.
April 10, 2014 at 1:08PM     
shelleyuk
I think they have three different sizes and the measurements given on the page are for the small size. Definitely go for the large.

I'd say placement depends on what you do at the windows. I'd definitely recommend curtains since they are an easy way to add texture and pattern and will look more luxurious than blinds. If you have curtains it will be a pain having a console there (although that wall would have been my preferred spot so that you see the table when sitting on the sofa). As a result of the windows I'd put it on the art wall. Console, two lamps, something low in the centre, artwork centred over.
April 10, 2014 at 1:12PM   
Wow Great Place
Art should be large and rectangular, and I would actually place it intentionally off center. At least 60x 30 size.
Like this for inspiration:
Sofa 01917

Or a grouping that extends out past the couch into the open area
El Dorado

I would also consider changing the door of the closet to a flat slab door, paint the door and the related door casing the same colour as your wall, then hang a piece of art on the door as part of the grouping to help the oddball door disappear.
April 10, 2014 at 1:16PM     
Ann
Avillar, I think the art you like does come in a 60 x 30 size. That would work too, if you like that idea better than a triptych. Shelley, I didn't even notice the lamp came in 3 sizes - oops:)
April 10, 2014 at 1:27PM   
Wow Great Place
Ann, it comes even bigger, I think it was 72x 36, but I like the proportion of a 60x30 over a sofa, even off center, it can work.
Avillar, try it with a piece of craft paper or wrapping paper, cut to the size you are considering, see how it "feels"
April 10, 2014 at 1:31PM     
Ann
I agree about playing with the sizes on the wall with paper or even tape. It will be a tremendous help!
April 10, 2014 at 1:33PM     
Carol Singletary
Another option for the back of the shelves that is not permanent is to use fabric dipped in liquid starch. Find a fabric you love, cut it to size, then dip in a 50/50 water and liquid starch mixture and smooth on the back wall of the bookshelf. It will stick as long as you want it to, but then peels off easily when you want a change.
April 10, 2014 at 1:34PM     
Ann
Notice, you could do as Wow's Sofa 01917 pic shows and get a sofa table with two lamps as Shelley is suggesting and the large off center art. That combo looks very nice in that example!
April 10, 2014 at 1:36PM   
Libbmom
Avillar...would you mind standing behind your sofa and taking a picture of the wall, chair, etc. in front of you...
April 10, 2014 at 1:37PM   
avillar321
@libbmom here is a photo
April 10, 2014 at 1:44PM   
avillar321
@wow great place i am digging the idea of changing the color the white door to the same paint color as the wall. BRAVO! i would have NEVER thought that. i guess thats why i am not an interior decorator lol
April 10, 2014 at 1:46PM     
Ann
I agree with Shelley - if you decide to do a console table behind either the sofa or loveseat, I'd get one for behind the sofa, not the loveseat. Also, if you want two lamps on it, get a long one so the lamps will have sufficient separation. Drapes will look nice on the window wall (hung high and kind of wide and definitely long enough to touch the floor).
April 10, 2014 at 1:47PM   
avillar321
would i then place the console behind the couch?? let me show you a pic of the awkward space i have behind the love seat.. please note, i do plan on hanging up some drapes on the side of the wall. but there is enough space behind it that wont intrude or be in the way. let me know your thoughts
April 10, 2014 at 1:47PM   
Ann
I think libbmom wants a pic of the window wall, so standing behind the center of the sofa to take the pic.
April 10, 2014 at 1:48PM   
avillar321
here is the space behind the love seat im talking about....
April 10, 2014 at 1:50PM   
avillar321
@ann i am currently looking for curtains i like. i find something i like but then not in the size i need. our ceilings are 9 feet high.
April 10, 2014 at 1:51PM   
Ann
I don't think the space behind the loveseat is a problem. You could drape a nice throw over the back of it, but it's fine.
April 10, 2014 at 1:52PM   
Ann
Can you please measure the distance from the crown molding to the floor and also the distance from the top of the window trim to the floor? The curtain rod will need to go somewhere in that short wall space and you need the drapes to hit the floor.
April 10, 2014 at 1:55PM   
avillar321
@ann Okay :-) i guess i need to find a console to put behind the sofa then.
April 10, 2014 at 1:55PM   
avillar321
@libbmom oops read to quickly. taking a pic now... stand by
April 10, 2014 at 1:56PM   
Ann
Drapes on that wall will be very nice looking. Don't worry, as soon as we know the length, we'll find some:)
April 10, 2014 at 1:57PM   
avillar321
here it is. it's kind of dark since im photographing against light
April 10, 2014 at 1:58PM   
avillar321
@ann measuring now... lol
April 10, 2014 at 1:58PM     
avillar321
@ann okay so i measureed from the bottom of the crown moulding (on top) to the top of the crown moulding (on the bottom) its 98.5 inches. And that small gap is 4.5 inches.
April 10, 2014 at 2:02PM   
MARIANGEL COGHLAN
I agree with redu interior design. Also you can paint one wall with a different color. For example. :)
April 10, 2014 at 2:02PM   
avillar321
the bottom crown moulding itself is about 5 1/2 inches so the total space is 104 inches
April 10, 2014 at 2:03PM   
Ann
OK, so you'll want the rod to be hung in the 4.5" space, but you definitely want the drapes to hit the floor rather than the top of the baseboard. So, what would that distance be? Worst case, you'll need to buy drapes a bit long and have them hemmed.
April 10, 2014 at 2:06PM   
Ann
overlapped, thanks.
April 10, 2014 at 2:06PM   
avillar321
@ann i guess 105 would work really well.. just hang right above the top of the window moulding.
April 10, 2014 at 2:09PM   
You could use the two ottomans, as a coffee table place together add 1/2 glass square top to it. 36"
April 10, 2014 at 2:14PM   
Ann
So, sounds like you're looking for 108" drapes. I'm not great with drapes so I'll let the drape experts help out, but I have heard of Houzzers getting nice drapes at a good price at halfpricedrapes.com.
April 10, 2014 at 2:14PM   
Ann
108" is a standard size but maybe some website does custom lengths. Once again, I'm not at all experienced with drapes:)
April 10, 2014 at 2:15PM   
Hang a chandelier in ceiling where light is. A drum style one in a light color shade. Drop Down but make sure it doesn't block TV.
April 10, 2014 at 2:16PM   
Ann
Oh, maybe 108 would work if you hung them near the bottom of the crown molding:)
April 10, 2014 at 2:17PM   
avillar321
@ann how much do i want the drapes to be on the ground? ive got a 9 foot ceiling which is exactly 108 inches. the moulding up top is about 5 inches. if i hang it on the lower side of the small gap, at 105 the drapes should slouch a bit which i know is ok but how much slouch is recommended?
April 10, 2014 at 2:18PM   
Just saw that one piece is a love seat. Make a square out of furn. With sofa facing TV. Love seat with back to windows. And chair where sofa is now. Add a end table to side of chair and round table between love and sofa.
April 10, 2014 at 2:19PM   
avillar321
ohhh 108 IS standard.. why did i see 105 or maybe that was 95? LOL silly me!!!
April 10, 2014 at 2:20PM     
Place a large sort piece 4-5ft on wall behind where sofa was. Contemporary bold colors. Hang so 4 ft from floor.
April 10, 2014 at 2:20PM     
Rug doesn't make a statement. You need color.
April 10, 2014 at 2:21PM     
Check Ikea for art.
April 10, 2014 at 2:22PM     
Never never never put small items on a large wall. Might try 2 floor mirrors with wide dark frames 6 ft. Ikea great price too. Place side by side with 4-5" between.
April 10, 2014 at 2:24PM   
avillar321
@travisinteriors currently working on finding a large art piece. thanks
April 10, 2014 at 2:25PM     
Like pic you posted if keeping sofa on that wall go the 48" one
April 10, 2014 at 2:25PM     
avillar321
@travisinteriors this is the rug i really want but its too $ even with the discount. http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-sterling/natural/200SEMA44A-76096.html
April 10, 2014 at 2:34PM     
Designs from Home
I love the rug you have! Since you don't want to paint just yet, pull in some more grays and creams in the drapery panels. Also, love the pillows, just add a few more accessories with the yellow and coral colors and maybe some navy - in the built in, on the mantel area and artwork above fireplace, in tray on ottoman... maybe a throw blanket on one of the chairs. You also need a round end table between the chairs and at least one rectangular one by the sofa and maybe a wicker round basket on the other side, or one of those cute ceramic garden stools. I like the arrangement of the furniture flanking the fireplace... you might try switching the sofa to the wall with windows and doing a console behind it, with the chairs on the other side. Then you could do a big floral centerpiece on the round table with the art behind it on that right wall... Does this all make sense?! If not, let me know and I can do a quick sketch for you. Good luck!
April 10, 2014 at 3:27PM     
avillar321
@designs from home yes, i think it does make sense but can you do a quick sketch for me??? i need a visual :-) pretty please??? :)
April 10, 2014 at 4:26PM   
avillar321
okay guys i have a question.... my husband said to get the rug that i really like. if you got the go ahead, would you get it? or just stick with this???? your thoughts. here is the rug... http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-sterling/natural/200SEMA44A-76096.html
April 10, 2014 at 5:00PM   
Libbmom
Nice hubby...happy wife happy life...would you get the larger one? If you use the SPR50 code it's 1/2 price...$435
April 10, 2014 at 5:13PM   
avillar321
@libbmom yes i am getting the largest one. this would eventually replace the rug i have now in the living room. we opened a new account under my husbands name. new customers get 60% off. WIN!!!!! price went down to $350. happy wife happy life indeed LOL

what do you think of the rug?
April 10, 2014 at 5:24PM     
Libbmom
The one you would like to order is larger than the one you have now...I like both of them...would give you a little more option of colors to add...I think it's what you want and do feel that today put you in a different direction of how you want the room to look.
April 10, 2014 at 5:33PM   
Ann
I prefer the current rug, but you should get the one you like.
Someone mentioned 48" art (travisinteriors, I think). I'm wondering if that would work too or if you need 60"?
April 10, 2014 at 5:36PM   
avillar321
@libbmom yes, it does give me more to work with. i grabbed a blue pillow from target and paired it next to one of the pillows i had and the blue just looked really appealing to my eyes... i did have the flutter feeling when i saw the rug though! ;) in all honesty, i could do both for sure but having the blues in the rug just really opens that door for me. if that makes sense....
April 10, 2014 at 5:37PM     
avillar321
here's another thought.. someone earlier mentioned maybe moving the couch to the other side where the windows were, and then move the loveseat and the chair to the wall side. what do you think? @ann i actually really like both rugs and both would work for me. :-) as for the art, i think the larger one would work best IMO.
April 10, 2014 at 5:40PM   
Libbmom
that was why I was asking about a pic of that side of the room...room really looks good now...but you could certainly try the sofa on the other side and maybe the love seat directly across from it...the put the chair either on the end of either. Might make hanging artwork a little easier...Just need to make sure you have good access to the closet. (you must be exhausted after today...)
April 10, 2014 at 5:45PM      Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@libbmom you make a good point about good access to the closet. i may not be able to open the door entirely but i would still have access to open it. its just a spare closet. we actually have another closet in the hallway that we use more often to hang out coats and what not. this spare one is just another one the builder decided to add. LOL i will try it out. will make it easier since my husband is home now, he can help me move. ill be sure to take a pic and post both images side by side to share with you all. This is actually really fun. it's really nice to be able to get advice from folks who are just as interested as i am. :-) so thank youuuuuuuuu!!!
April 10, 2014 at 5:50PM     
Libbmom
I just wish I had one room in my house as big as this...working with small rooms is a pain...especially since all furniture these days seems massive...
April 10, 2014 at 5:54PM     
avillar321
@libbmom yessss furniture these days are massive. kind of like our couch set LOL. this one is old but its still standing strong. we have lifetime warranty on the cushions so thats def a plus. i do want to eventually change the color. i have someone i know who specializes in upholstery for this band of furniture so when im ready ill go for it. and im probably gonna go for a gray. gray goes with EVERYTHING LOL
April 10, 2014 at 5:58PM   
Ann
You mentioned the drapes a while back and yes, they can puddle a bit, as long as you choose a fabric that puddles nicely.
April 10, 2014 at 6:08PM   
avillar321
@ann okay, thank you. care to share any suggestions for drapes???
April 10, 2014 at 6:11PM   
kerrypouliot
Drapery panels on each side of the windows, and matching faux roman valances over the small windows. The room would look instantly finished and beautiful.
April 10, 2014 at 6:13PM   
Ann
I'm terrible with drapes other than length issues, but as I mentioned earlier, might be worth checking out halfpricedrapes.com.
April 10, 2014 at 6:55PM   
Libbmom
Wow Ann...I had never heard of that drapery site...great deals...
April 10, 2014 at 7:15PM   
avillar321
@ann checking it out now :)
April 10, 2014 at 8:11PM   
avillar321
what is a good material for the drapes? linen?
April 10, 2014 at 8:16PM   
Ann
Libbmom - I've only heard about it (good things) in Houzz dilemmas. No personal experience.
April 10, 2014 at 8:25PM     
Ann
Avillar, I've never had linen drapes but I really like my linen roman shades.
April 10, 2014 at 8:44PM   
Trisha
@avillar321 can you tell me where you got your rug from? The one with the grey and yellow that you "stumbled upon". BTW I love what you are doing with your room. I have the same color couch and I am getting so many ideas from your thread! Best of luck I will be following your progress:)
April 10, 2014 at 9:19PM   
avillar321
@trisha callahan thank you :) i got the rug from good ole' Target :-) online, it 180 but this was an online purchase returned in store and it was on sale for $125. :-) is seriously thought I was doomed with such a dark couch color but i am liking the progress!! best of luck to you too :-) i am currently looking for drapes.
April 10, 2014 at 9:21PM     
avillar321
can anyone tell me if this drape is too light or should i go a bit darker? i love the texture of it!?!
http://www.westelm.com/products/pintuck-curtain-platinum-t766/?pkey=cwindow-panels-curtains-shades%7C4294963735%3A4294962485&group=1&sku=1127646&cm_src=window-panels-curtains-shades||FN-Color|Length-_-FN-Gray|108%22-_--_-
April 10, 2014 at 9:39PM     
April 10, 2014 at 10:32PM   
avillar321
love this too but its $79 each AND i didnt know that they were sold PER panel.. holy moly!!!
http://www.westelm.com/products/stella-curtain-gray-stone-t860/?cm_src=PIPRecentView
April 10, 2014 at 10:33PM   
shelleyuk
What is your climate like? Unless it is very hot I would avoid something so light. They don't hang very well and can look a bit nothing. If your climate is variable or cold then I'd go for a heavier fabric.
April 11, 2014 at 3:17AM     
Libbmom
I am not a fan of drapery panels that are not lined...
April 11, 2014 at 6:06AM     
avillar321
@shelleyuk i live in the northwest so it is indeed NOT very hot here unless we are having a heat wave. lol. @libbmom ok, ill look for something that's lined. i had no idea drapes were this $$$$ :-/
April 11, 2014 at 6:12AM   
Libbmom
If you have a JC Penney's in your area you can usually find some that are not so pricy..
April 11, 2014 at 6:24AM     
avillar321
@libbmom yes we have a jcpenny :-) let me look on their website. what about bed bath? also, what is a heavier material close to cotton/linen? i like that "look" of it. I am also open to other suggestions. i lack the knowledge of drapes all together lol
April 11, 2014 at 6:26AM   
avillar321
what rods should i get??
April 11, 2014 at 6:40AM   
Ramona
check overstock for drapes

I like the rug you have, not the one you are liking better. But this is your home, not mine.

Go lighter color on the drapes or the dark furniture and drapes will close in the room. You don't have much light in the Pacific NW, don't make the room even darker.
April 11, 2014 at 7:13AM        Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@ramona thank you :-) you're right it is usually pretty gloomy here. ill stick to a lighter shade.. like a cream perhaps or a light beige??? do you have any suggestions with the shade because I suck at drapes LOL
April 11, 2014 at 7:19AM   
What do,you want to spend on rug? Just put some color no beige. Try TJMax other discount stores.
April 11, 2014 at 12:20PM     
On art the bigger the better. Is sofa staying there? If so how long is sofa. Did you say 7 ft? If so 60 could work.
April 11, 2014 at 12:22PM   
Then take colors in a Rug for pillows. Mix up prints. And window covers. Ikea has super Inexpensive things.
April 11, 2014 at 12:24PM   
escolat
I don't see any plants. A live plant would make the living room feel more inviting ,elegant and relaxing. When I see a thriving plant , it just makes me feel that a room is comfortable...and it provides additional, natural color.
April 11, 2014 at 12:44PM   
avillar321
@escolat i would add a plant however we have 2 cats that will devour the leaves. we've had plants before but decided against it in the future because they just love to eat them
April 11, 2014 at 12:46PM   
avillar321
@travisinteriors my husband already got the rug i wanted. so hopefully it works. im good with both rugs honestly so when im bored, i can switch it up.
April 11, 2014 at 12:47PM   
indomom
These look like they might work with the grays in your rugs: http://www.halfpricedrapes.com/pepper-gray-heavy-faux-linen-curtains-drapes.html
April 11, 2014 at 12:51PM     
avillar321
@indomom i really want to go for a gray but i think i will opt for something lighter. someone pointed out that gray might close the room in. i live in WA state; where it is usually always gloomy so having a darker color would make it feel smaller. I am open to other suggestions though :)
April 11, 2014 at 12:54PM   
Scofield Lighting
Even if you just change the light fixture to be something more ornate, it can really make your room pop! Let us know if you have any more questions!
April 11, 2014 at 1:02PM   
njmomma
You can still use gray drapes on the window, you just need to hang them high and on the outside of the window. You have the room. It would look great with the area rug.
April 11, 2014 at 1:09PM     
avillar321
@scofield lighting is changing a light fixture easy??? i am open to ideas. if you have any ideas, please send over so i can share with my husband. also i do have a tv on top of the fp so something that won't affect the sight. IDK why the builder had the light fixture closer to the tv as opposed to the middle of the room.
April 11, 2014 at 1:11PM   
Libbmom
Perhaps you can use the yellow and gray rug in dining area???
April 11, 2014 at 1:32PM   
avillar321
@libbmom I could use it upstairs in the loft.. OR i could use the other rug in the loft instead. I have option. the loft is another room i will work on next. i think its just a matter or getting a bigger rug, some accent pieces and drapes and boom....done! lol I could use some tips about the breakfast nook.....Again, the table and chair we have is dark. LOL!
April 11, 2014 at 1:37PM   
Libbmom
Look at these drapes at JCP...tired to copy pic but can't figure out how to do on iPad. Studio Casia grommet top in the fog blue...it has shades do blue, gray, tan..can't remember what length you needed.
April 11, 2014 at 1:48PM     
avillar321
can you copy and paste the link??
April 11, 2014 at 1:51PM   
avillar321
i saw it... i do like that and its on clearance too! do you think it might be a little dark? the only reason i say this is because i do live in WA state where it is gloomy most of the time. i feel like dark drapes would close the space in. i do need to take an updated of the living room. i love how its looking now!!! very home and inviting. husband is digging it alot! :-)

but back to the drapes.... maybe something lighter? like alot lighter?? is a light beige even white too light for drapes???
April 11, 2014 at 1:55PM   
Libbmom
I think those are nice too...how will they blend with your wall color? If I were going to use something close to color of wall I would use a tone in tone color.
April 11, 2014 at 2:10PM   
avillar321
i think it would blend in well. i tried to take a pic but its not coming out right. the image looks darker than how i see with my naked eye lol
April 11, 2014 at 2:12PM   
avillar321
is getting something lighter than my wall color a no no? like white?
April 11, 2014 at 2:13PM   
Libbmom
On way to dinner...back in a while...
April 11, 2014 at 2:15PM   
avillar321
@libbmom okay :-) thanks for your help. enjoy!
April 11, 2014 at 2:16PM   
Ann
I think those creme brulee drapes could be very nice and a great price! When you hang your drapes, hang the rod quite a bit wider than the window width so when the drapes are open all the way, the drapes just cover about a half inch of the outsides of the window on each side. That way, you won't lose any of your light. Does that make sense?
April 11, 2014 at 2:21PM   
avillar321
@ann yesss!!! totally makes sense :-) i do like these prices! i thik i should get some for my room. and a diff color...
April 11, 2014 at 2:23PM   
avillar321
@ann when you say "opened all the way" does this mean all 50 inches would be stretched wide or "crumpled" a bit ?
April 11, 2014 at 2:24PM   
avillar321
Ann, im gonna post a pic of my walls so you can see it better. would the creme brule still be ok?
April 11, 2014 at 2:33PM   
Ann
Let's assume a single drapery panel takes up about 20" or so when it's all "crumpled" together (like you'd open drapes in the morning). So, assume your window is 48" wide. You'd extend the rod to about 88" wide and hang the rod brackets that wide so when the curtains are opened/crumpled, hardly any of the glass is behind the drapes. That's what it means to hang your drapes "wide". Also, you'll mount the rod up very high, almost to the bottom of the crown due to the length of the 108" drapes.
April 11, 2014 at 2:33PM   
avillar321
Ann, makes perfect sense! thanks for explaining :)
April 11, 2014 at 2:34PM   
avillar321
here the wall color.
April 11, 2014 at 2:35PM   
avillar321
i am actually thinking of getting LEAD for our bedroom. it think drapes would def be nice.
April 11, 2014 at 2:45PM     
avillar321
oh and one more thing... what color rod should i get?? sorry for all my questions LOL
April 11, 2014 at 2:46PM   
Ann
Here's an example of grommet drapes hung "wide". Showing the drapes open, you can see the entire window and none of it is covered. It looks like the brackets holding those rods are about 20 or so inches wider than the window on each side.
]
April 11, 2014 at 2:48PM        Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
looks gooood!!!! :-)
April 11, 2014 at 2:50PM   
Ann
What color rods work with your home? What color is your door hardware, lighting, etc?
April 11, 2014 at 2:53PM     
avillar321
its satin nickel.
April 11, 2014 at 2:54PM   
Ann
You might be able to get one long rod that will span both windows. I'm thinking when the curtains are open, the left curtain panel on the right window and the right curtain panel on the left window might just about touch, covering all the wall space between your two windows.
April 11, 2014 at 2:57PM      Thanked by avillar321
Ann
OK, so rods close to that color. It won't matter if they aren't identical to your satin nickel.
April 11, 2014 at 2:58PM      Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@ann that is a possibility. i hope they dont touch though LOL.
April 11, 2014 at 2:59PM   
Ann
Oh, and the pic I just posted with drapes gives you an idea of how neutral drapes will look. The ones in that pic look quite close to the wall color.
April 11, 2014 at 3:00PM      Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
I love it!!!!!!!
April 11, 2014 at 3:01PM   
Ann
Well, if you had one long rod, it would probably need a center bracket in addition to the two side brackets, so that might keep a little space between the curtains, but nothing wrong with them touching. It'll look nice.
April 11, 2014 at 3:02PM     
avillar321
having the drapes there so close to each other (if not touching) would def save me from need to fill that space LOL
April 11, 2014 at 3:04PM   
Ann
How many inches are there between your two windows?
April 11, 2014 at 3:04PM   
Ann
See, here are some examples where the open drapes touch one another. One rod used in the first two examples and two rods in the third example.
[houzz=Glenwood Residence]
[houzz=Fresh Modern Colonial]
[houzz=Gabriel Builders]
April 11, 2014 at 3:10PM   
avillar321
oh that does look nice! even with the crown moulding in my ceiling, you think it would look ok?
April 11, 2014 at 3:12PM   
avillar321
DRAPES ORDERED!! :-)
April 11, 2014 at 3:21PM   
avillar321
I have another question.... or more like needs some advice. next to the family room we are working on, have this wall space that is empty. is adjacent to the wall with the awkward door. what should i put there? a large rectangular mirror? or a circular mirror? uploading image now.... stand by..
April 11, 2014 at 3:27PM   
avillar321
this is the wall space... and i also saw these at kohls today.. something like this but would be nicer it if it were bigger...
April 11, 2014 at 3:29PM   
Ann
Not sure that feels like a mirror wall:)
April 11, 2014 at 4:02PM   
indomom
I'd get your furniture arranged and the art on the closet wall before tackling that wall.
April 11, 2014 at 4:14PM     
Ann
I agree. Art on the closet wall is the most important.
April 11, 2014 at 4:19PM     
avillar321
Okay, still working on that art. I found what i like but gonna look around and see if i can find something that makes my heart really flutter AND maybe a big cheaper. ;)
April 11, 2014 at 4:25PM   
Ann
I'd keep looking for the art for that living room wall and then wait until all the new stuff has arrived and is in place before doing anything more. You know, just get it all in place and then re-evaluate and take new pics. You've made wonderful progress over the last few days and you don't want to rush it. Who knows, you might not want anything on the wall you are thinking of for a mirror. You certainly don't want to clutter and it's nice to have some walls with nothing on them.
April 11, 2014 at 4:37PM        Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@ann Yes good point. The drapes come in next week, so ill def put them up and take pics for you all to see. :-) thanks again for all your help. Truly appreciated!!!
April 11, 2014 at 4:39PM     
Libbmom
Looks like you have great plan...I am excited about seeing your room come together...I think it has made big changes already...
April 11, 2014 at 6:45PM   
avillar321
@libbmom i am excited too!!! couldn't have done it without everyone's help :-)

are you familar with the types of dining room chairs?? I have a diff design of my dining room chair... im trying to find a cover for it but idk what its actually called. when i google dining room chair covers, my particular chair doesnt come up in the results.
April 11, 2014 at 7:12PM   
Libbmom
Not exactly sure what you are looking for...do you have parson type chairs??
April 11, 2014 at 7:14PM   
avillar321
WOW you are goooooooood!!! yes that is exactly what i have. im looking for chair covers for those.
April 11, 2014 at 7:15PM   
Rid should be brushed nickel
April 11, 2014 at 7:17PM   
Go on line to see slip covers for dining chairs.
April 11, 2014 at 7:19PM     
avillar321
@travisinteriors im looking now but the ones i see look very "formal" where the cover hides even the legs of the chair. I don't want that. maybe for our formal dining which is another project for another day and another budget LOL
April 11, 2014 at 7:20PM   
Libbmom
Agree...either look to formal or to casual...as in they look like they just hang with elastic in the back to pull them tight...might want to check with an upholstery shop and just have them covered at some point...
April 11, 2014 at 7:56PM     
avillar321
@libbmom yeah.or maybe a little DIY. that could def be challenging. i just want to cover 2 of the chairs. make it a little lighter because all the chairs and table are espresso.
April 11, 2014 at 7:59PM   
Libbmom
I am not a seamstress...so the best that I can do is staple fabric to a chair bottom and hope it holds :o)
April 11, 2014 at 8:15PM   
avillar321
@libbmom LOL!!!! your best is my best, too. :-)
April 11, 2014 at 8:16PM   
jillqberry
Hi! I am late to the party. I got pretty much halfway through the comments, but then got overwhelmed. Just wanted to say - I didn't see much mention of lighting. This room screams lighting! :)
Especially considering you said you're in WA and don't get much sun. I would tackle lighting ASAP! In a cheap way with some different types of lamps??
April 13, 2014 at 12:21PM   
Ann
jillqberry - we have been discussing lighting. Avillar321 is making decisions on furniture placement etc. first so she can determine if floor lamps/table lamps and/or lamps for a potential sofa table make the most sense.
April 13, 2014 at 12:43PM   
hancavv
Take out the rug. Put the large couch on the wall near the windows and take those two chairs and put them on the opposite side and take away other couches
April 13, 2014 at 1:00PM   
tbiancam
Hi! I wasn't able to read all the comments. Did you get that rug you love? I think it would look great! I also agree with @hancavv on putting the couch on the window wall and the chairs on the other side
April 13, 2014 at 1:53PM        Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@tbiancam yes, i did get it. i love that one, but i also love the rug i have now. my husband said just to get it so i did. i can swap out when i want more color on the rug :) i will do the swap of couches and take a photo shortly :-)
April 13, 2014 at 2:13PM   
avillar321
@ann i havent had a chance to swap the couches yet to see how they look opposite of its current layout. will do that once my husband gets home LOL
April 13, 2014 at 2:14PM   
carrieannie
Can I ask what colour you have on the walls? I am trying to figure out what colour and what paint brand these walls are and kind of think that they are similar.
April 13, 2014 at 2:28PM   
avillar321
@carrieannie i honestly have no idea. i would have to do some research.
April 13, 2014 at 3:09PM   
tbiancam
even though you already made your choice on your wall art, I found this so thought I'd show it to you.
Might help you with other rooms if it won't with this one :).
April 13, 2014 at 3:17PM     
VANGUARD development
April 13, 2014 at 7:37PM     
avillar321
@tbiancam I love this type of layout. I actually have a huge picture collage in our upstairs loft. :-)
April 13, 2014 at 8:21PM   
Designs from Home
@avillar321 here is the quick sketch of the living room!
April 14, 2014 at 8:38AM        Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@designs from home wow this is awesome :-) Do you think this would make a diff with one love seat? i actually dont have 2 chairs. it's a couch, loveseat and a chair - not 2 chairs. I didn't have time to play with furniture placement yesterday like i thought i would. i will try it today, and show a before and after photo
April 14, 2014 at 9:15AM   
Designs from Home
Yes, that does change things slightly. Here's an updated floor plan for the furniture placement... everything else would stay the same, but I would center the art over the loveseat or do a series of prints along the whole wall. You could still do a floral on the round table, but I would probably do a lamp instead and move the floral to either the console to balance out the lamp there or the garden stool.
April 14, 2014 at 10:06AM      Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@design from home oh wow, i didnt think about this at all. i will def try this when i get home today. quick question....would it look odd to just place lamps on one side of the room. i ask this because the windows provide good light (even when its gloomy out) on one side of the room. On the other side, it could use more light. that said, do you think it would look weird to use maybe a tripod lamp instead to put next to the loveseat? maybe add another tripod lamp behind the long couch to balance out lamps? just throwing out ideas that im playing in my head. but i like this layout alot. will surely give it a try today :)
April 14, 2014 at 10:19AM   
Designs from Home
I think you could do a floor lamp between the loveseat and the built-in, but nothing too bulky. I really feel you need to add a table between the loveseat and chair for visual interest, but I would definitely add a nice lamp there if you feel it needs light. So add two lights on that side and then I would still do at least one lamp on the other side to balance things out, if not visually but also functionally at night when you will need light on that side. I like the idea of the console because I feel you need to add more interest to the space and if you do just a lamp behind the sofa it may look out of place.
April 14, 2014 at 10:33AM   
avillar321
@designs from home any suggestions on the lamp?
April 14, 2014 at 10:36AM   
Ann
I really like Designs from Home's first configuration that assumed two chairs. I'm not as fond of the variation once she found out about the loveseat. I think I might prefer the current configuration with both the chair and loveseat angled a bit. I don't think it really matter if it's switched with the sofa on the window side - I think the room will look about the same whether the sofa is on the window side or as it is now. But, if you are going to try the sofa on the window side, it's very easy to try the configuration shown in Designs from Home's second drawing, so try it that way and try it with both loveseat and chair angled and see which feels/looks better. Once you choose the furniture placement, you can get serious about the best lamp placement and I'm sure you'll get lots of specific suggestions. It might even be worth taking new pics once the furniture is placed, the decision between the two rugs is made, and the drapes are up. At that point I might take new pics and start a new discussion called "Please help me choose lamps and art.".
April 14, 2014 at 11:54AM        Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@ann thanks for the input, ann. i will definitely change the layout tonight, take a photo and start a new discussion. stay tuned....... :-)
April 14, 2014 at 12:22PM   
Designs from Home
I would do something that makes a statement and isn't too small, and not too dark... I like this one from Pottery Barn for the round table: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/alexis-ceramic-table-lamp-base/?pkey=ctable-floor-lamps&cm_src=table-floor-lamps||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_- in cream & you could go in a couple different directions for the console... PB has a tripod look if you prefer that or maybe something simpler like: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/chelsea-table-bedside-lamp-base/?pkey=ctable-floor-lamps&cm_src=table-floor-lamps||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-.
April 14, 2014 at 2:08PM     
avillar321
I tried the layout switching both sides... i forgot to take a photo of it though :( but i think i am going to stick with the layout where loveseat are chair are on the side of the window and the couch on the other side. when the loveseat and chair are on the wall end, it looks more "cluttered".
April 15, 2014 at 4:03PM     
Libbmom
It never hurts to try...that way you are more confident in what you like...
April 15, 2014 at 4:13PM   
avillar321
@libbmom this is true. I tried, I debated, and I made up my layout lol.
April 15, 2014 at 4:14PM   
sophiewall13
Add a bit of brighter cushions or maybe a lighter rug . Flowers might help light up the room and some colourful curtains. Sorry if I'm not much help. Hope any advice work:)
April 16, 2014 at 2:44AM        Thanked by avillar321
hikerbikergirl
Not to distract from your original question...but...if you "frame" that T.V. with a couple of nice pics it will distract from the rug and "refocus" the room - look at your walls to "complete" your look...good luck
April 16, 2014 at 4:40AM        Thanked by avillar321
avillar321
@sophie if you are referring to the original photo, the rug has already been swapped out. :-) went with a lighter rug and it made a huge difference.
April 16, 2014 at 7:23AM   
Libbmom
Has the new rug come in yet???
April 17, 2014 at 6:45PM   
avillar321
@libbmom no lol. it hasnt even shipped yet. they said it takes 10-14 to ship from warehouse, then it will prob take another week to get delivered LOL. in the mean time, i did buy a floor lamp. and i must say, it does look good. will post a pic shortly
April 17, 2014 at 7:22PM     
Libbmom
Ok...I'll try and be patient...LOL..lighting...fun!
April 17, 2014 at 9:03PM     
avillar321
@libbmom LOL, it's nothing crazy but did make a nice difference for the room.
April 17, 2014 at 9:22PM     
I need help with the decor of my entranceway is this too blah?
I need Leo with my hallway/entrance area it's no too...
Need help with my walls in my living room...and window treatments too!
just finished remodeling this 1968 home...needs ideas...
Need help..I have a blah living room. I need color and some wow!
Camera lighting is off....the walls are not that yellow....
Help punch up my blah living room!
Hi - I am trying to figure out decor for our living...
Need help with kitchen wall tiles
We are building our house and hence have no photos...
How can I love my couch?
We've only had our couch 9 months and I still can't...
Storybook Ranch needs facelift and curb appeal
Our first house together! And I'm stuck dealing with...
Foyer light
I have a 40" silver colored orb light, chandelier in...
My husband wants too large a TV for our family room!
We have 14' so I figure 8' is the back of the sofa...