Is a travertine stone farmhouse sink durable/good investment?
gdillinghamApril 9, 2014
We are remodeling our cabin, and our designer is recommending a travertine stone farmhouse sink. Would like to know the durability and longevity of a stone sink, especially as it compares to stainless steel?
Sophie Wheeler
Gross. Travertine is full of holes and is porous and cannot really be cleaned. It certainly can'tbe sanitized. I can't imagine having a worse substance to create a sink from. It's like that grody musty kitchen sponge, only you can't heat it in the microwave to kill the nasties. Plus, it etches (partially dissolves) in the presence of acid. Maybe the designer is on her own version of acid.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 7:24PM
Leslie Brooks
Lol ^
1 Like    Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 7:38PM
Patricia Colwell
Worst choice for sink material. I still think stainless is the way to go and I personally think the whole farmhouse thing is a fad , but I am a modern design lover .
    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 7:11AM
digidana
Not gross. I have two in my kitchen. The main kitchen sink is a carved solid travertine that I got from The Tile Shop. This is the sink: http://www.tileshop.com/product/cucina+jinshan+bone+farm+sink.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

The second one is a hollowed out travertine stone that i use as a bar sink for washing veg, etc. by the sink. We've had them for about a year and a half. I sealed them when we first put them in and they are very easy to clean and haven't stained a bit. If it were going to stain, it would have. I'm not one of those people who never have dishes in their sink. There are 5 of us who live here, so there is always stuff in the sink...including red wine and coffee. No stains.
    Bookmark   November 26, 2014 at 10:06AM
Sophie Wheeler
Yeah sealer can prevent stains. If you KEEP it sealed. Give it a couple more years of etching---which cannot be prevented by any sealer. Then the fill in all of those holes should be loosening up after exposure to so much moisture. If the sink base doesn't rot out first from the moisture migrating through the porous stone. At least in a shower, there's a waterproof membrane between porous stone and the wood studs.
    Bookmark   November 27, 2014 at 11:59AM
digidana
have you ever had a travertine stone sink? the pits are minor and are filled with an epoxy that is made for travertine. the expoxy is stained the same color as the stone so its nearly invisible. i know this because, first, my kitchen floor is done in 24x24 inch travertine and 12x12 inch travertine and we have popped some holes in it and i've filled the pits myself. second...my brother owns a tile company and deals with travertine every day. the sealing takes almost no time at all and is no big deal. i've only one it once when we first got it and i have no stains, no pits, no etching. there is no moisture migrating through the stone. the stone is about an inch and a half thick...nothing is migrating through that sucker. i just checked it and its bone dry after sitting with a sink full of soaking thanksgiving dishes overnight. it is a rock. if you're not comfortable with comet cleaning the sink, a splash of bleach every once in a while will get into any minor pits. they were 100% worth the investment...they're the first thing that everybody notices, they're beautiful, and i would definitely do it all over again.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 28, 2014 at 6:49AM
Quality Bath
Durability is always such a subjective matter. How long a sink will last will depend on your usage and how you take care of your sink. Lastly, there are pros and cons for every kind of sink. what were you thinking of as an alternative to getting travertine? (Stainless, marble..?)

As for travertine itself, here is what I think you need to know:

-It is a porous material which absorbs liquids HENCE would definitely need to be resealed periodically (it is recommended to do so every 6mos to 1 year as standard basis.)

-If you ask me, it is quite durable (and heavy so NOTE that you have to have a storng base for your stone sink as one can weigh up to 300 lbs.)

-Do not clean with acids and alcohols or sandpaper

If you are okay with those things, get travertine. Because, as digidiana said, travertine sinks really are quite beautiful and can be worth it. Here are some from what we have at Quality Bath:

Bookmark   December 2, 2014 at 9:49AM
Kitchen colours to go with vintage green Aga?
Bear with me.....this is long! We lucked out and...
bubblyjock
Help to create farmhouse style
Hi, We are entirely redecorating our house and deperately...
ch_lavoie1
Kitchen...good, bad and ugly!
I'd love to hear any suggestions about layout as well...
kmedl
Sink question
I love this type of farmhouse porcelain sink. My husband...
jeneeic3
what should we do with our kitchen?
We've been doing a lot of thinking about redoing our...
Danielle Rush
Curb appeal: how to make this exterior more interesting, inviting?
Hubby and I are moving into our first home together....
aprildch
wall color and sofa color
I am really new to decorating and have been changing...
ranger1950
new bedroom
I am lost!! Whats the best layout for this room to...
fozany
Need color advice for entryway, stairs and hallway
Preparing to paint entry, hallway and stairs. Thinking...
adrienneham
Choosing furniture size
Just built a disability house--no halls and easy wide...
bettymcgee1113