Exterior of house
yamani05
I need advice on what to do with the exterior of this 1941 ranch duplex on a small budget.

Paint: I think a bone white trim would be good but unsure about color for stucco walls.

Doors: The iron security doors will be removed. The exterior doors will be wood and I am considering staining them (antique brown to match the interior hardwood floors) rather than paint them.

Landscaping: I'd like to use succulents almost exclusively and am interested in lawn alternatives.

Would a picket fence make sense?

I welcome all suggestions. Thanks for your input.
Rina
Here are a couple of inspiration pics for succulent gardens. http://you.co.za/blogs/12-pinteresting-ways-to-display-succulents/

I think a sand colour would work well with a succulent garden and look good with the bone white trim. Something like this:

It's morning where I am and I must get busy. I hope you get lots of great suggestions.
April 9, 2014 at 11:09PM     
Lisa Vogel Bradford
I don't think that the picket fence and succulents work together. love the idea of succulents, mixed with: Yucca's, ornamental grases, and creeping thymes and such
April 9, 2014 at 11:13PM     
yamani05
Thank you, Rina and Lisa, for your responses! Appreciate it!
April 9, 2014 at 11:39PM   
LB Interiors
I would create a filigree block wall for privacy between the two units. White trim is always fresh and clean feeling. I like the stucco color. Stained doors are rich and will accent these colors. Succulents and stepping stones, large rocks and small filler rocks with plants that are different heights and sizes.

Wall shorter than photo - about 5.5' high
Dallas, TX: Brian and Katherine
Landscaping with succulents, rocks, gravel and logs
Landscaping with succulents
April 10, 2014 at 1:49AM   
yamani05
Thanks, LB! Are you suggesting a pure white for trim rather than bone white? Love your landscaping ideas but not sure how to execute. I'm on a budget and cannot afford a landscape designer. Do I keep the grass lawn?
April 10, 2014 at 7:43AM   
LB Interiors
I prefer a white that is not stark white. It would be too harsh in the daylight. Any soft whites that do not have specific undertones, of pink, blue, green, lavender, yellow etc.

Grass requires more water than the suggestions I posted. There are many landscaping tips online from Home Depot or Lowes and many others that describe the way to attack this style of landscaping. It will cost some money in the beginning but will save you a lot more in less upkeep.

In California, that is what we are doing right now. A big water shortage and saves money with the water bill. We are taking out some lawn, keeping much smaller lawn sections and incorporating stone, rocks and pathways, some plants for aesthetics.
April 10, 2014 at 12:34PM   
yamani05
Thank you! What you describe, LB, is what I want for landscaping, i.e., taking out some lawn, keeping much smaller lawn sections and incorporating stone, rocks and pathways, some plants for aesthetics. Is this a DIY project (admittedly I'm not much of a DIYer). How much am I looking at for this type of project on the low end? My budget is small.
April 10, 2014 at 12:49PM   
LB Interiors
With a small budget, you may not be able to achieve the results you are wanting : (. Maybe need to prioritize a plan and make some compromises.

I can't possibly give you an estimate. As in all design, it depends on how much DIY, all the costs of choices for materials depends on those chosen. Labor. Everything varies greatly. Size of the landscaping project etc etc.

1. Go online to learn the process.
Start with becoming familiar with what is required to do this treatment. It's not easy. You need to take out lawn, lay down black plastic, purchase sand and materials and install.
2. You need a Design Plan.
3. You should shop material choices as well as labor costs.
April 10, 2014 at 1:01PM   
yamani05
Oy vey... This sounds extremely daunting. I will check online. Thank you!
April 10, 2014 at 1:15PM     
sally78
Don't be daunted. Every journey starts with a single step. Concentrate on one thing at a time. It will be fine.

Happy Decorating! (And, please, no picket fence for this particularly house….) Best of luck!
April 10, 2014 at 1:21PM     
yamani05
Sally - LOL because I REALLY wanted a white picket fence but perhaps I'll have to forego it for this house. Curious as to why you think it wouldn't work here? Your thoughts on paint? I'm leaning toward LB's recommendation to keep the salmon and simply paint the trim a soft white.
April 10, 2014 at 1:56PM   
Your Color Diva
There are quite a few directions that you could go regarding exterior color. Your roof looks like a gray? Here are some possible combinations. All are Benjamin Moore. Combination #1 - Annapolis Gray 70 (warm mid-toned) Anchor Gray 2126-30 (Darker color), and Sail Cloth 77 (nice off white). Combination #2 - Tumbleweed Tan HC-95 (Sage green), Lancaster white 78, and either Acorn Yellow 2161-40 or Mustang Tan (warm terra cotta) for your doors.

I love the idea of using plants that take less water. We have a program in California that is called "Lawn to Garden". Actually they give you money to make the change. Here is a link to their site. They even have free plans and a list of plants. http://www.lblawntogarden.com/node/1993. To spend less money, buy smaller plants. *There are wonderful outdoor pots at Ross Dress for Less.
April 10, 2014 at 2:35PM   
yamani05
Thanks, Color Diva! Just so I'm clear, for color combo #1, are you suggesting EITHER Annapolis Gray 70 (warm mid-toned) OR Anchor Gray 2126-30 (Darker color) for exterior walls or is the Anchor Gray a suggestion for door color? What do you think of staining door antique brown to match interior hardwood floors? See pic attached.
April 10, 2014 at 3:12PM   
Your Color Diva
Annapolis Gray would be the color of the exterior walls, the darker gray for roof trim, and Sail Cloth around the windows, because it will look good with your white vinyl windows. My suggestion is to not stain the doors on the outside. You will find yourself a slave to the upkeep. Your doors are a perfect place to add a spot of color. Include that color in some of your flower pots and plants. What is great about this combination is that it lends itself for many options. For a cooler look try a tealish blue of Pompano Blue HC-137, or spice it up with Moroccan Red 1309. For continuity bring that color into your interior. Hope this clears things up.
April 10, 2014 at 4:23PM   
yamani05
First, I want to say thanks to everyone who has responded to my inquiry and thanks to the Houzz community at large which so generously offers great advice!

I will go to the store this weekend to look at the paint colors suggested here. As far as paint brand, does anyone have an opinion on Benjamin Moore vs Dunn Edwards vs Behr vs Sherman Williams vs any other brand on the market??? This is a duplex and I will live in one unit and rent the other. My plan is to live here for a few years then rent out both units.

As for painting vs staining exterior door... If I stain, I would do so on both sides. If I paint the exterior, I would likely choose a different color in the interior side or stain the interior side. There are no issues doing so are there?
April 10, 2014 at 6:05PM     
Your Color Diva
I think that now you have some ideas to check out. I love Benjamin Moore, but have also have had great results from Dunn Edwards on the outside. No problem having one color on the outside and another, on the inside. Best of all, follow your gut and have fun!
April 10, 2014 at 9:06PM   
Love my table but....
LOVE my table but I am redoing our floors in a house...
Where's chookchook?
Our beloved chookie hasn't been heard from in days....
Mirrors next to tv?
Hi, there was an empty space next to my tv but I found...
What else?
What else does this space need? I don't have a ton...