Living room suggestion
pvarshaApril 10, 2014
I want to give this a new and bright look. Also, should I change the white painted brick fireplace wall to original brick. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
I would paint the shelving white.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by pvarsha    April 10, 2014 at 10:17AM
PRO
McFeely Window Fashions
I agree with Dytecture. I would paint the shelving white, keep the brick white around the fireplace (below the mantel), and paint the brick above the mantel a nice gray or dark accent color. I would also try a woven wood shade in the window and put panels on either side in a color that compliments the dark accent wall color. Extend the rod though and hang them so most of the fabric is on the wall and doesn't obscure the window. It looks like the room is a little dark and you want to keep the sun shining in!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by pvarsha    April 10, 2014 at 10:59AM
pvarsha
Yes room has the only window shown in photo and less natural light. So I am open to do any change including paint, mirror, shelves to make it better looking.
    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 11:25AM
charleee
I totally agree with painting the built-ins white. I would also paint the ceiling beams the same white as the ceiling but not everyone will agree with me. A light colored area rug. If privacy is an issue, top-down bottom-up cellular shades will give you light AND privacy. Lighten the wall color and let your area rug and furnishings be the star.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pvarsha    April 10, 2014 at 11:37AM
PRO
    Bookmark   Thanked by pvarsha    April 10, 2014 at 12:15PM
redpoint
In the picture the wall color looks like a pinkish-brown, which I would paint over right away. IMHO, that is much more of a problem than the shelves. I would rethink the color scheme entirely, and from there decide the color of the shelves, the beams, and the fireplace.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pvarsha    April 10, 2014 at 4:07PM
redpoint
Do you have pictures of the furniture that is going in to the room?
    Bookmark   Thanked by pvarsha    April 10, 2014 at 4:08PM
pvarsha
@Redpoint, we will be moving with this furniture for now.
    Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 5:20PM
pvarsha
Any suggestion for paint colors?
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 2:55PM
PRO
flair lighting
can you sand down the white brick a little, might give it a more rustic look.?! seeing the funiture it seems to match with the bookshelves color pretty well, i might leave the bookshelves and go back to brick on the mantel. And i cant stop saying this today, change out that ceiling fan!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by pvarsha    April 14, 2014 at 3:15PM
PRO
Stud Construction – Andrei Damian
I agree with the majority of the comments. To summarize here are my suggestions:

1.) Loose the bookshelves and turn the areas next to the fire place into seating with pillows as cushions. You can change as you decorate seasonally and as your style changes.

2.) Keep the comfort that a bookshelf offers by placing it the width of the room and the height from floor to bottom of the fireplace (looks like 16-20"). This will extend the "seating area" (by a depth of 10-12") and create a unique reading/nook atmosphere.

3.) If possible change out the flooring to brighten the room and run them the opposite direction to make the space feel longer and draw attention to the fire place (if not a large area rug should do just fine, stay on the lighter side and do not select something needing to much attention)

4.) I agree with @flairlighting the ceiling fan needs to go regardless.

5.) Expose the brick and make it the focal point. Then paint the remaining walls white. With the gorgeous exposed brick, vaulted ceilings, wood beams and new rugged floor this will not seem as sterile as it may sound.

6.) If you keep the brick painted white, paint every other wall in the room a muted gray hue of your favorite light color (ie. slate gray, blue steel etc.) to keep the focus on the fireplace.

Hope this helps! You have a great opportunity to capitalize on this great open space! Have fun!

Kurt D Snyder
Designer@
Stud Construction
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by pvarsha    April 14, 2014 at 4:09PM