Long Living room no focal point and paint colors
catmele
Hello all! This is my first post. We live in what is considered a split colonial which has a strange flow. The living room is up a few stairs & rarely used as we have a family room also off the kitchen. We have used the living room as a play room when kids are young & now it just has all our old furniture & I am ready to start from scratch. EVERYTHING is going and we are also painting. I am struggling with how to decorate as there is no focal point & we are considering not putting a TV there to encourage socializing. We also are considering a free floating bar:) The other issue is the dining room which is connected to living room. I want to paint it a different color. What do you think? I want a bluish/grey for living room not sure about dining room. Dining room furniture is staying for now. (don't mind the mess). Thanks in advance!
Warner Decor
Hi! What a neat floor plan! I think that this is the perfect place for a cocktail/bar area! Here are a few ideas to get you started! By the way I love the idea of gray walls- that leaves you a lot of room to add color through furniture!
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/world-market/fuchsia-nina-chair/
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/world-market/peacock-quincy-chair/
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/world-market/pacific-blue-elliott-wingback-chair/
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/world-market/phoebe-paisley-darby-chair/

Hope this helps you!
2 Likes   Thanked by catmele    April 10, 2014 at 11:40AM
flair lighting
i would close in the area to the left with the strange railing and low wall. create to seating areas, one near the window, perhaps an office area, and four chair grouped seating area in the fore ground.
0 Likes   April 10, 2014 at 12:19PM
flair lighting
idea
2 Likes   Thanked by catmele    April 10, 2014 at 12:25PM
catmele
My husband has been suggesting also to close off that area but I need to take another pic as I think it will look a little strange coming from the dining room/kitchen. We actually need another area for my husband to work as we both work from home & we only have one office. Any suggestions for how to set up an office area.
0 Likes   April 10, 2014 at 12:41PM
Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
You probably are dying to paint and make a big change to the room but you really should start with the furnishings and pick the wall color later. Paint comes in every color but sofas don't and you want your new furniture to work well with the wall color. You could consider putting in a ventless fireplace for a focal point. They come in all styles from traditional to ultra modern. Good luck!
5 Likes   Thanked by catmele    April 10, 2014 at 12:48PM
flair lighting
well he could have a desk under the window, with a console on the closed in wall, and a book case where the oak unit is now and two nice chairs and a small couch, maybe brown leather, manly ish...
0 Likes   April 10, 2014 at 12:51PM
Try a pony wall similar to what flair lighting showed so you can put furniture against it yet dining window light flows through. Some have used them to build in a bookcase. Develop a focal point on the long wall where the sofa is now. Try an electric, gel or alcohol burning fireplace.
Maine Woods
EDDIE House
1 Like   April 10, 2014 at 1:02PM
Distinctive Design
Hi can I ask the living room's dimensions. Also can you show a pic of the opposite of the LR viewed from area near the stairs to DR?
0 Likes   April 10, 2014 at 3:28PM
catmele
Tried a few times to load more pics & having issues. Going to try one at a time
0 Likes   April 11, 2014 at 1:44PM
catmele
Hope this works
0 Likes   April 11, 2014 at 3:22PM
catmele
I am almost embarrassed how long we have waited to decorate this room! I never cared as kids would play in here but now I want a grow up rooms!
0 Likes   April 11, 2014 at 3:24PM
catmele
Dimensions of room are 13 x24
0 Likes   April 11, 2014 at 4:32PM
flair lighting
closing off that wall would not be akward in the dining room, it would give you some more art space. no one would know the difference.
1 Like   April 11, 2014 at 4:46PM
laurakdesigns
Congrats for posting! I think you need to keep the rooms the same since you have the one wall that is common to both rooms. At least that wall needs to be the same color all the way across.

Here is a pretty blue-gray

1 Like   April 11, 2014 at 4:55PM
owFotografik
A game room with a bar sounds like fun. Choose some art that will work well in there and have a good time with it :-)
1 Like   April 11, 2014 at 4:56PM
catmele
Thanks all! Seeing the pic with wall closed off really gets me thinking we should do that . I think if we did that we would take down wall between kitchen and dining in room or do half wall as house is not open at all like new houses
1 Like   April 13, 2014 at 1:17PM
Turn the up stairs room in to a sitting rm. get 4 big comfy chairs in a fabric in a print. Go a coral, with a cream print with some blue also. In window a roman shade in a solid blue gray color in. Place chairs in a circle, With a big blue gray round 24" ottoman. Or a glass round coffee table with a gold tone base. If using a ottoman also,place a wood tray on it. Place a cart in glass or dark wood to be used for a bar. Place glasses, wine etc on top. Have a ice bucket etc. on long wall place 3 round gold tone frames 20" or more place 2" apart hang so 4 ft from floor. Add silk palms in bare corners.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 12:11PM
Paint walls a Revere pewter from Benjamin Moore. That would be a great color for dn stairs also.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 12:12PM
Nothing on floors they look good bare. Also paint stair rails white. It will update the room.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 12:13PM
Since all rooms flow together stay with the pewter in all rooms.
0 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 12:15PM
catmele
Thanks Nancy! We actually did end up painting SW Silvermist as we have a big party coming up and we had work done so the walls looked horrible. Would have liked to get couch first but jsut did not work out. We also ended up just doing one color in living room & dining room. I had another color picked out & purchased but when we put it in the wall it did not look right. I love the Silvermist but the blue/grey takes some getting used to. I think we are going to get a dark brown sectional .. maybe leather. I will post pics after painter leaves. I tried to convince hubby we need to paint railings white but he wants to keep it wood.. will work on that:)
1 Like   April 23, 2014 at 7:39AM
catmele
One question... where would you place the couch/sectional assuming we keep a desk near the end which has the dining room?
0 Likes   April 23, 2014 at 7:41AM
How to arrange furniture in long family room with TV focal point
We are finishing a rectangle shaped family room in...
Should a living room have two focal points
We are building a new home with a gas fireplace. Some...
need help with focal point of my small living room
This is the wall you see when you enter my living.room....
Living Room w/ 2 Focal Points!
Our living room has a huge built in book case on one...
Urgent Please Help : Cream Tile or White Tile
I need to decide shower tile color and countertop color...
what should i do with the panelling?
we are replacing all trim with white wood and six panel...
Kitchen decor
Do people still put items above their kitchen cabinets?...