Kitchen/Family Room flow
karterbu
We need some help to figure out how to better utilize these three spaces. I don't do much cooking and with the kids grown and gone, we don't really need a full size table any more. What we do need is a space that invites family and friends to hang out, work on computers, read, watch TV and generally be a part of what may be going on in the kitchen or family room.

The chairs in the sun room are fantastic but we never use them because the space just isn't comfortable. We've thought about making that area more of a breakfast nook and trying to open up the kitchen/living room area, but we can't visualize how we might make that work.

The kitchen is cramped with the island, but we don't have any ideas on how to retain the countertop and storage if we were to get rid of it. We've discussed extending the countertop around where the table is, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

The tile needs to be replaced as well as the carpet in the living room. There is hardwood in the entry way and dining room-should we just make the whole place hardwood and use area rugs? Keep tile in the kitchen and sunroom? So many questions, so few answers! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Katie Gooding
I'm no expert...but I think it would be nice to take out the island and put in a peninsula what an area for counter/or bar height seating coming kind of at an angle into where the table is now. That gives people a place to sit and chat but still stay out of the main area of the kitchen. You could then turn the sunroom area into a breakfast nook as well.

As for flooring choices...I'm old fashioned and I just don't think that hardwoods are durable enough in the kitchen. Others will argue that the finishes are harder than ever and are fine, but I just don't buy it. My new kitchen has dark hardwoods and it shows footprints and dust, plus if the dishwasher ever leaks it means a new floor. I'd stick with tile at least in the work area of the kitchen, maybe hardwoods everywhere else.
April 10, 2014 at 6:29pm        Thanked by karterbu
Kim Walton
You might even remove the cabinet to the right of the frig. . . replace the dining table with a huge island with nothing but drawers (which gives you lots of storage and countertop) and room for stools on two sides. As Katie says, remove the small island and use the sun room for a family breakfast/coffee room. As for the flooring, we have had (or put) hardwood in the kitchen of our last three houses and couldn't be happier. It feels great underfoot and with kids grown, tile just isn't needed. I think you'd love the space with all the same flooring throughout.
April 10, 2014 at 6:53pm        Thanked by karterbu
Eagledzines
That's what I was thinking Katie too, about the layout and the tile and hardwood, except I was thinking of putting the formal table in the sun room

April 10, 2014 at 6:56pm      Thanked by karterbu
karterbu
if we were to add a peninsula, would you recommend moving the sink or leaving everything in place and just using it as additional countertop?
April 10, 2014 at 7:01pm   
Eagledzines
If possible I would leave the sink under the window. it's more expensive to move the plumbing and it seems fine there.
April 10, 2014 at 7:04pm      Thanked by karterbu
Katie Gooding
Is leave the sink right where it is. First of all, moving plumbing gets expensive, second, if you move theming, the dishwasher has to move too, and third, the window would be kinda odd with no sink there. If you don't have a formal dining somewhere else in the house your current table would work well in the sunroom, but no real need for two big tables in the house. Of course you could convert a formal dining into something else...
April 10, 2014 at 7:10pm      Thanked by karterbu
laurakdesigns
How fun to recreate your space! Here are some ideas for you. I'd go with all hardwood floors it will unify the rooms and flow

Traditional Kitchen

Kitchens

"Kitchen Design With Natural Materials"
April 10, 2014 at 7:13pm        Thanked by karterbu
karterbu
laurakdesigns, I love those ideas! I'm amazed at how quickly I can see some solutions after just the few comments that have been posted!

Katie, we do have a formal dining room, so my thought was to get rid of the kitchen table since I didn't have any ideas for what to do with my dining room if I got rid of that table! Frankly, I'd like to eat out every night and just have a mini fridge and a microwave! :o)
April 10, 2014 at 7:18pm     
Carol
It all depends on your budget! Love hardwood throughout, but it can depend on the area you live in. Extending the kitchen into the sunroom area is perfect. I'd enlist a kitchen designer in your area & start working on the details!
April 10, 2014 at 7:22pm      Thanked by karterbu
Kim Walton
The examples of peninsulas are great. . . but do keep in mind that a peninsula (versus and island) means you have to walk around the peninsula to get out of the kitchen. Traffic patterns are sometimes easier with an island. . . just depends on what is most important.
April 11, 2014 at 11:03am      Thanked by karterbu
Sustainable Dwellings
You need a counter depth fridge... it is taking way too much space in the kitchen. Take a couple of upper cabinet panels out and put glass in. You need some area rugs on that tile. Hardwood in the living area with a large rug there. What about lighting??
April 11, 2014 at 11:24am      Thanked by karterbu
karterbu
I"ve never liked the lighting, but didn't want to make any changes until we had a full plan. I prefer as much natural lighting as I can get!
April 11, 2014 at 8:12pm   
Need help with kitchen/family room Reno
We are planning to take down wall between kitchen and...
Going Crazy over Kitchen/Family Room Layout!
I am remodeling my kitchen and family room and adding...
kitchen/family room/dining/master input?
Be careful putting laundry on same wall as master bedroom...the...
Will a narrow tv room work?
We are converting our narrow garage into an extra room....
light or dark grout for a natural jade tile
I will likely use the jade tile with the many shades...
Any advice on shower options?
I have just moved into our new flat which has a lovely...
What is your backyard crying out for?
Some people let their grass grow too long, or their...