Laundry room- lots of potential, first time home owner!
Nancy Huckvale
Bought my first house (wahoo!) and it's beautiful and spacious and has got SO MUCH POTENTIAL and I feel like I am almost undeserving of such a great place if I don't beautify it to the fullest! Soo.. I need help!

Here is my first example: the laundry room. It is the first door you go through coming in from the garage to enter the house. I'd love a place to put my keys and mail. Possibly a place to hang my bag. And a place I can leave my slippers for when I get home (or I can do this in my garage- either way.

What do you pros think?? I'm open to all ideas!

Thank you!!

Pic one- view from the door of the garage
Pic two- pano from same spot
Pic three- looking in from my kitchen door
Nancy Huckvale
Pano
April 10, 2014 at 9:54PM   
sally78
Nice room. Beautiful floor tile.

I suggest something across the top of washer/dryer to give folding space. You can buy something for this purpose or have a simple shelf built (with simple formica to so no clash with your sink counter). I feel like I have seen this in stainless….

Put a hanging rack on opposite wall. Ikea used to have a great one---but it comes and goes. The one they sell now is not as great, but would also work Handy to keep hangers there and hang stuff right out of the dryer. Or, drip dry a wet coat.

Is the laundry room shade an up-down one like I see in the kitchen? Love those. See the sky, but still have privacy.

Very nice laundry! Congratulations on your first house!

Happy Decorating!
April 10, 2014 at 10:00PM   
arubalime
I bought a tabletop from ikea to go on top of my washer and dryer. It was an inexpensive solution for me!
April 11, 2014 at 12:04AM     
DirectSinks
How much space is between the washer and dryer and wall across of it? Can you put hooks on that wall for your jacket, and make it into a shallow "mud room" type of area. I'm sure you can buy cabinets that match the ones around the washer and dryer if you want it all to match. But I get that a first time home owner may not have the budget for that... so check out Hayneedle for a separate/moveable piece. Or you can even make one yourself to have all the elements you want. Like key hooks/ shelf for mail, shelves for shoes etc.
April 11, 2014 at 10:08AM   
dabjg
I have to ask arubalime, what type of machine do you have. All the front loading machines I have looked at seem to be too large according to the recommended clearances they give. Our machines would sit along the wall just like yours. From the back wall to the door frame, I only have 30 inches.
May 22, 2014 at 7:47AM   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Congratulations! As this is the first wall you will see as you enter - I would make it something special. What about tiling the entire back wall with a beautiful backsplash? Good luck from Montreal!
May 22, 2014 at 7:50AM   
First time home owner 1960's Bathroom, NO Laundry room :(
I just bought my first house and my only full bathroom...
First Time Home Owner! Need Help with Living room and Kitchen
I know nothing about interior design, but I want my...
Living Room ideas for first-time home owner w/ good space to work with
Just bought our first house and we are basically starting...
Where to begin!?! First time home owners looking for help.
Hello Houzz community! My wife and I are so happy...
First time home owner!
What is the rule of thumb when it comes to paint ?...
Is "Grey" the 2014 color in the kitchen?
Grey is the new black. At least that is according to...
Help with picking out a flush mount ceiling light
Hello. I really could use anyone's expertise. I have...
Front of Cabin (Exterior)
We have a cedar-sided lake cabin & love the front porch...
Architectural Photography...
Do you know of any software that can digitally reverse...