Need dining room help!
laziorgen
Small 50's ranch home in the country. Dining room adjoins living room. Living room also gold in color. Small budget. Wanted to update by removing fruit border. Ending up removing all top wallpaper and need to repaint. Need rug, curtain and wall decor ideas. Not opposed to painting the legs on my table or adding two different types of dining room chairs. Any help would be appreciated!!
Cheapest fix, after removing the remaining w-p border would be paint. Consider a unifying color for both spaces. It should be based around colors from an area rug or piece of art that anchor or provide a focal point. Is there a FP over which to hang art? A rug under the dining table would need to be 4' wider or longer than the table, so that might be a bit tight with the walls so close. Could you use one to anchor the living room seating? New window treatments can make a major difference. Mock roman shades would be nice, as would a new chandelier. The table and chairs can wait and be painted at the end of the process when you see you need an accent color. If you plan to add color via fabrics, select them first. Paint can be matched to them, but not the reverse.
April 12, 2014 at 9:00PM     
Leona Malone
What is your style, looks quite country, is that what you are aiming for . Could we see a pic of your living room for reference? What type of wood are your window casings made of? Would you be opposed to painting them white to match the window grills? Also the ceiling moldings could match the ceiling color to give a more uniform look. Baseboards would be the same color.The wood should be primed first. This would make the room look more spacious.
April 12, 2014 at 9:16PM     
luccia
I can see a lot more white in this room. Off white paint, white shear curtains adds a contrast to the dark wood floors. Keep the chandelier and dark wood trim. A two tone light and dark rug would be nice as well. The room needs some texture and color with art and fresh flowers. Have fun:-)
April 12, 2014 at 9:39PM     
laziorgen
Thank you for the ideas. I am not really going for country, would rather get away from it. Honestly I always wanted to identify my style. Since I am low budget maybe my style has to be "thrifty" I attached a photo of the focal point wall where art could go. (Obviously under construction - and where it goes into the kitchen) Also attached photos of adjoining living room. Painting the window trim not an option per husband. Just wish I could get this to look like it all works together! Thanks again!!
April 13, 2014 at 7:25PM   
Actually, I think the focal point is the view out your windows, although that DR wall is a good location for art. Are you handy with a needle and thread or sewing machine?You might try reworking your window treatments. Cut the valances down and hem to make them straight across the bottom. Then use them in the dining room. Pick either the red or brown panel for your living room, raise the rods to the trim and use the other colored panel to add wide insert panels to the bottom, top or middle of the panel that needs lengthening to kiss the floor. Make toss pillows with and unused fabric. That's a budget way to change and update. You could add some pretty trim like pic 4 to dress them up. Consider greige for your paint color throughout the two spaces. Pick one that works with the living seating. Here's an ideabook. When budget allows, you might switch the beige rug for one that has more color and pattern to add some life.
Bedroom
Transitional living space livingroom Palmetto Bluff Home and Guest House Ideabook: Going Greige: Tips for Choosing This All-Around Neutral
April 14, 2014 at 7:59AM     
laziorgen
Thank u so much, these ideas I can do! Now I feel I can move forward.
April 14, 2014 at 4:47PM   
laziorgen
This is curtain material I purchased at world market was going to do drapes for the dining room but are they too busy and maybe they won't help things flow from one room to another?
April 14, 2014 at 5:27PM     
Leona Malone
I see a chair rail in the dining room. Does that go into the living room also .Is there paneling on the bottom part below chair rail? This paint treatment is maybe not so good for this area as it breaks up an already small space & makes it quite dark.
I think your curtain material is nice ( has some brown to go with the wood trim of windows & a bit of yellow same as table top). This would go well in the dining room ( while bringing in some red color from living room) yet not being too dark. If using this material (thrifty, already have it) you could then paint the lower part of the wall the same light color as top. This would help to enlarge & lighten the space. Maybe paint the table legs a red. What are your thoughts on this idea?
April 14, 2014 at 7:38PM        Thanked by laziorgen
ngocdung
For you .
April 18, 2014 at 12:44AM        Thanked by laziorgen
laziorgen
Working on removing wallpaper glue! What a job that is. I found 4 dining room chairs that I can reupholster ..thinking about using the curtain material I posted. I like the idea of painting my table legs red. I took down the chair rail and will paint the walls all one color. The struggle now is re paint color as is..or pick a greige. Which in one of the pictures posted really matched my furniture and the material I posted. Sher win Williams wool skein. But then I will have to paint everything! Living room , hall way too! Iwhat to do? One more quick question the attached photo is a piece of furniture I could paint an accent color..but what color? And should it go in dining room or stay where it's at? Thanks to u all for help!
April 20, 2014 at 7:29PM   
Leona Malone
Would your curtain material be durable enough for chair covers?
As someone mentioned faux roman shades would work in dining area & still allow for lots of light from the windows. Full length drapes would need to be stacked to the sides of windows to allow for as much light. Maybe the window walls are wide enough for that treatment without taking up most of the wall. Not sure how many yards of fabric you have. You could pin up a piece of the fabric up to the windows to get a feel for it after wallpaper is gone.
What is your favorite color in this fabric? You could that color in another pattern on the living room sofas.
Your cabinet is nice but definitely country. You said that hubby didn't like the idea of painting wood trim. Is it a special wood or just that he would need to do the painting. All the wood trim certainly lends a country feel to your rooms. Does the wood trim have an orange color to it or does it just appear that way in the pics?
Painting all wood trim would make it a lot easier to choose a wall color.... I definitely would not want to upset the hubby. If deciding not to paint woodwork the greige color would be good for walls. Would replace the small items on the mantle with a lg. pic that would have some of the colors in your new material.
Would you post a few of your favorite room looks to your idea book to give us a sense of your style.
April 20, 2014 at 8:52PM        Thanked by laziorgen
Leona Malone
Laziorgen... Here's a question that hasn't been asked..... is your kitchen open to the living/dining rooms? If so the decor in there might influence your decisions in these rooms.
April 21, 2014 at 7:09AM     
Warner Decor
April 21, 2014 at 11:02AM        Thanked by laziorgen
laziorgen
The wood is a Pennsylvania mahogany I guess. That is what a builder told us when he helped us out in our kitchen years ago. He said it was good wood and expensive, therefore the reason of not painting it. Not sure about the orange tone but it might. I guess I do have a country style not That I am all about it but there are things I can't seem to get away from. I guess that is why I am stuck! Can country be blended with anything else? Yes the kitchen is kind of open to the dining room and living room and the hall which the sherwin Williams color of " restrained gold" goes all the way down. So that color is in my dining room, living room and down a boring hallway. I really like the pictures that someone submitted showing how the dining room could look! I definitely would do a black table like that..Thanks again to ALL for the time and effort trying to help me through this!
April 21, 2014 at 8:23PM   
ngocdung
You should painting the walls one color. Cream color ?
Choosing wall paint colors match the wood furnishings.
The room you need light, the curtains may use thin stuffs like chiffon, flowers or stripes,
The Roman curtain a thought or disappointment but will suit more modern space.
I sending to a warm color and a cool color, the choice is your.
April 21, 2014 at 9:59PM     
Your fabric is a bit Jacobean, which will be able to pull you away from being so country. Agree you'll be happier if you paint it ALL - work now but enjoyment later. Here is a SW analysis of the fabric. Greige will still work for you.
April 22, 2014 at 11:23AM     
ALPA CORP
may be these can help!!!!
April 22, 2014 at 11:32AM   
laziorgen
Still looking for the perfect rug, and possibly a new chandelier. I also have my eye on a new dining room set, just using this one in the interim - till I can save up for a new one. It's simple but I like the updated look - even though I didn't op for a whole new color. (I had the left over paint to use). Thanks again for all the help! At least I got it this far!
May 28, 2014 at 7:15AM   
laziorgen
Great tables made out of a new concrete product. Custom made to look like various stone. AWESOME
June 19, 2014 at 6:34PM   
laziorgen
My husband sells this new product!
June 19, 2014 at 6:35PM   
Hyde Evans Design
After remove the remainder of the paper, paint the walls all one color. That will make it look much larger and cleaner. Carefully consider you wood trim when picking a shade. It needs to coordinate. And then consider a rug. That will make a huge difference. The table won't look like a postage stamp in the room anymore.
June 19, 2014 at 7:42PM   
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
Need help for living room dining room one room paint color
Living room dining room Would like to do all white....
Need help on my kitchen/dining room/ living room flooring ideas
We are commencing a very extensive remodel of a 1968...
How to lighten up this kitchen?
We are looking to lighten up this kitchen by painting...
Bathroom paint color
Vanity is black with a cream marble top, black mirror...
I need help picking the right granite for my kitchen
We have painted, put M marble down and now I'm having...
What ONE thing do you hope your guests won't notice?
I envy the people who's homes are perfect and guest-ready...
Need laminate stone/ceramic look floor advice to go with new kitchen
We have chosen Cambria Bellingham countertops (http://www.cambriausa.com/en/Designs/design-palette/Bellingham/)...