Is the mirror above the couch too low?

TahiaLoreApril 11, 2014
Followed the 6" rule and placed this mirror accordingly. Looks too low to me? Opinions. Please. Thanks.
Looks like you followed the rules, but missed this one: it must reflect something beautiful or interesting. Looks like the opposite wall is the item you want to double via reflection. Have you considered framing the mirror with wide trim (can get at the hardware store) and using is as a floor mirror standing there in the corner just to the right of the sectional? Might have other ideas if you post pix of all the space.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:08PM
despinach
It does look low to me too! Maybe it's too narrow for this wall?
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:12PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
Lower the ceiling.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:21PM
rosecottagehome
I think also it is not quite the right dimension for this space. Art would look better either one large or two to three medium sized pieces horizontally across the back. decoenthusiaste' suggestion to use the mirror standing up or hung vertically would be more appealing.
6 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:22PM
TahiaLore
Really, Margo? Hmm... I do however see the problem with its narrowness and lack of hearty frame. I'll work on a more substantial frame and post.

Here are some pix of the rest of the room, which has been a Houzz collaborative project since last year. :-) BTW, I'm already working on changing the wall art placement over the media table.
    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:30PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
deco - Tahia is reflected in the mirror so it must qualify.

I like the pillows.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:48PM
Aspire 2 Design, LLC
Looks like the sofa has a low profile. You have such great wall space, and it could be more effective to do a picture arrangement of interesting art or photos. Google "how to arrange pictures on the wall" for lots of ideas.
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:54PM
flair lighting
please replace the ikea floor lamps, i would do an arch lamp on right side and a table with lamp on the left. large piece of art flanked by two smaller ones. oh the pillows..too matchy poo.
    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:55PM
flair lighting
idea
8 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:55PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
I did say I did like the pillows.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:56PM
TahiaLore
Thanks, all. Will get right on most ideas. However, art is out of the question because my husband won't have it. He's an art curator and right now we can't afford any piece he would approve. How about a mirror where the sailboat painting is? Or... Here's the art piece across the room. Is that one acceptable for the sectional wall?

As for the lamps, saving up for new ones, since these were leftovers from a former office, so thanks for the lamp suggestions.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 4:27PM
dclostboy
The photo on the couch looks like Dali...if the frame is the same width as the mirror, hang them next to each other about 8" above the couch. The total length will be approximately the same width as the couch so it will balance much better there. The gap between the mirror and pic will echo the divisions in the sectional. And the pic itself will add interest to the wall overall.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 5:37PM
flair lighting
ok, more funky mirror then,...
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 11:57AM
TahiaLore
dclostboy, loved your idea and as soon as my husband had his lunch, I put it (the idea, not the husband) to good use. So happy. :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 11:59AM
flair lighting
now you need something to round some edges of...soften it a little.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 12:07PM
TahiaLore
How, flair, the lamps you suggested? Round pillows? Round/oval tray?
    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 12:12PM
flair lighting
yes yes and yes..lol..so many squares so little time haha.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 1:04PM
dclostboy
I think that's a really workable solution. I'd like a slightly smaller frame and a little more separation, but looks nice.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 1:33PM
schilling123
Personally, I like the "funky mirror" much better than the other. The funky mirror, with the couch, gives it more of a look of an era (that the designer was striving for.....you). The other looks kinda.....sad or something (sorry). My question: Does it have to be mirrors if it can't be art for now? What about, perhaps...perhaps not..... getting a big canvas (or wood, something that fits your budget) and doing your own art? Something simple yet contemporary. Ya know, the ones where you say...."I can do that!" Something with color to make the room---like the red and/or orange colors from the pillows? Just a thought.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 3:19PM
Denita
Great idea schilling123! I like the idea of something personal or striking photography in a format like below (not the specific photos, just the idea)
Rustic Barn Photography Set of 6 Barn Pictures by LisaRussoFineArt · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 3:34PM
Denita
I know! Usually dclostboy is spot on....I guess he is human after all :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 5:26PM
TahiaLore
Thanks, everyone. I like the suggestions but am happy with this temporary solution since it was all in-house stuff. I still have issues with the entire decor, so I'd rather hold off on any purchases. You see, I'd like to change color scheme according to seasons (or my fancy). Thus, the waiting. Thanks again, and I'll keep posting.
    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 5:34PM
rredpenn
The only change I'd make is to put the Dali on the other side of the mirror, so it appears the figure in the picture is looking at the mirror. :) SInce you're using what you have, at least there is a sense of humor in that placement..
1 Like    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 5:35PM
chaefender
everything looks rectangular.. get a round coffee table and a variety of throw pillows.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 9:19PM
TahiaLore
OK, my Houzz mentors. I spent the weekend changing and rearranging -- and here's what came out. Much to my hubby's pleasure, not a penny was spent and not a minute of his time was needed. I'll take next week to shop around and get a feel for your sage advice (especially the "roundness" needed).

I'll post pix after said purchases and a new paint job on walls. So...if there's anything else you wish to suggest...

THANKS, for all your help and patience. :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 5:26PM
pcmom1
Sorry that long mirror definitely not working there. I think it is begging to go into a bedroom dressing area.

Love to see the space warmed up with some art work. A large abstract with green and blue.
HGTV · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 12:05AM
pcmom1
The blue walls seem sort of traditional and sort of cold also. I think your furniture would look good with this wall color:
Girard Townhouse, Philadelphia, PA · More Info
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 12:08AM
flair lighting
two area rugs with some softer lines, and maybe paint the two art walls, an accent color. it just seems sterile...with the best intentions. needs some cozy factor. wall paper, to add some punch maybe?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 10:44AM
TahiaLore
Thanks, flair. Love the pillows you suggested and I rather stencil with paint, as I'm handier at that but the pattern is great. Can you suggest area rugs with "softer lines?" I'm not sure what that means.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 3:24PM
flair lighting
oh painted stencil would be great, let you get some 'art' in there without having to pass the curators test..hee hee. see if you can find a great stencil what a good idea! heres some rugs i like ....maybe you will too.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 4:22PM
pcmom1
Increase cozy with a shag rug. Love the floor lamp also.
Global Living / Bluefish Home - Showroom · More Info
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 5:26PM
pcmom1
This wallpaper (or maybe this is a stencil?) instead of your long mirror:
Green Walls · More Info
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 5:30PM
pcmom1
Like a lot of things in this room. One wall of grasscloth wallpaper, the living greenery on the table, the interesting floor lamp and the guitar (the guitar tells us a story about the person living there).
Modern Eclectic Residence · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 5:34PM
TahiaLore
Here are pix of the 2 rugs and 1 pillow I'm thinking of getting. These I'm pretty sure of but Houzzers will let me know opinions, please.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:12PM
TahiaLore
Now, these are all pillow options. Opinions, as usual, are welcome. No hurt feelings since I know I'm designed impaired. However, really budget restrained, so please, try and consider the stuff I already have. Thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:15PM
TahiaLore
And more pillow choices...
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:16PM
TahiaLore
For which room, Margo? Do they have to be the same?
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:30PM
rosecottagehome
Tahia I would put the rug in the area you like to sit in the most or the area you would sit as a group when you entertain. I don't think you need to change out your throw cushions you have, they look much better than you first picture, since you added the off white cushions with the patterned one. Like Margo suggested, I would just concentrate on a carpet to soften the over all look. It's coming along nicely and you are such a good sport.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:50PM
rosecottagehome
Ooooh do like the 2 sisal rug idea and you may be able to buy 2 for the price of one patterned rug....bonus!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:52PM
rosecottagehome
You are a gem of a Houzzer dear Margo, sometimes a wee prickle pokes through that daffodil hat, but it's radiance is shining now : )
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:09PM
TahiaLore
Thanks, Margo and Rose. Oh, and Margo, no need to apologize. One of the reasons I trust Houzz is because y'all are straight shooters. About the sisals, though, wouldn't they blend in too much with my hardwood floors?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:36PM
TahiaLore
Moved things a bit. How's this?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:48PM
TahiaLore
Oops, posted the same pic twice. Meant this one.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:49PM
TahiaLore
Without the rug by the sectional but with a smaller print next to the mirror.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 9:20PM
nakpan
I think it's too low and it's not grand enough for the size of the wall and couch.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 6:30AM
pcmom1
Tahai, I just reread all the posts, and I don't see where anyone likes the long mirror hung there over the sofa. The different "funky" mirror would work, but this one isn't. At least not there.

You could try it vertically on that skinny wall where the green framed mirror is. Think the size and shape would work there. And if you go online to "MIrror Mates" they carry easy to apply molding for framing mirrors.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:52AM
pcmom1
Your mirror transformed with a massive frame.:
Living room transformation · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:53AM
pcmom1
Or get many similar mirrors:
Soho · More Info
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:58AM
pcmom1
Funky mirrors:
City Home · More Info

Study: Brian Del Toro Inc. · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 10:02AM
TahiaLore
I know, pcmom, but what would I put on that wall in the meantime? I can't afford to not use the mirror, since it's new. That's why I was looking for a workable solution for short term.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 10:23AM
doctornancy
Margo, I like your style, your comments, your sense of humor. Always enjoy your input here.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 10:49AM
Why doctornancy- YOU are so kind to say so, and that has just made my day;))) thanks!!!
    Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 12:59PM
pcmom1
Sorry, didn't mean to come off harsh. It is just sometimes unless we take or more out one item we never go forward.

I remember you said your husband is very particular about art. How about a textile instead? You can hang up an interesting one (carpet, curtains, quilt). Or purchase large blank canvas from Aaron Brothers and cover with an interesting fabric.
living room towards hall · More Info

Marcelo Brito & Pedro Potaris - Sao Paulo - Brazil · More Info

Perkins-Hebert Residence · More Info

greenwich village loft living room · More Info
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:18PM
pcmom1
You can even hit the Asian markets and hang up kimonos:
Asian Inspiration · More Info
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:22PM
isiscarmona
I would've put it in the center of the wall. Btw, love the pillows.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:49PM
isiscarmona
I saw you're from Colombia so probably you speak Spanish.

Yo pondría el espejo en el centro de la pared, pero no le pondría cuadros ni pinturas alrededor porque si no le quita el "interés" al espejo. Como es de forma rectangular y es largo hacia los lados, entiendo yo que es suficiente para una pared. Si le pones cuadros se vería como sobrecargada. No soy diseñadora pero soy una fan de decorar interiores. Saludos desde Puerto Rico. :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:54PM
thetigerisin
Yes.
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:03PM
Raquel Dillett
This mirror is not for this room...more for your closet / dressing room or back of door.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:13PM
TahiaLore
Been shopping, been painting to warm up the space. I've taken all your suggestions into account but shopping around and choosing takes some time, as I want to choose right. :-)

Soooo, since the wall art and mirrors are already up (& the bare walls look awful with all those screws and hooks), everything stays as is until I can find a permanent deco solution.

My sincerest gratitude to you all for your input. I'll post my Houzz-ready LRs soon, I hope. In the meantime, I'll post these pix and take pix of my purchase choices for your opinions. Thanks again for your patience, especially about the controversial mirror. :-)
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 8:15PM
TahiaLore
isacarmona, I'm not Colombian but have lived here for,quite some time, and yes, I do speak Spanish (with not too many errors, I hope). Thanks for your input.
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 8:18PM
whattahouse
That mirror over the sofa is the wrong shape and size. And finish. Go for a rounded shape or a series of mirrors, with softer frames. Soften the hard edges.
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 9:19PM
Lainie D'Eon
May I just add that your pictures seem too high ... not close enough to the pieces of furniture beneath them.
    Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:00PM
dclostboy
Gosh Margo...I missed the earlier insult. I think we all agree that this isn't a perfect solution, but is a workable one for zero cost. Everyone is always ready on here to spend other people's money. In the final pic posted, it serves to balance the sectional and to fill the large open volume of wall.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 5:53AM
Denita
Agree, since the goal was zero cost. I didn't pick up on that for a while :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 6:00AM
dclostboy
How about if we paint the frame chartreuse to echo the stools? Color would be the next thing to layer in.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 6:11AM
soccerates
I have to agree with all of the above comments that the mirror just doesn't work. So how about some inexpensive alternatives? Goodwill or Salvation Army stores are often great places to pick up frames for very little money. Discard the "art" (unless it really IS art then sell it at Sotheby's!) and repurpose the frame. Frames can be re-painted, re-stained, and/or leafed with silver or gold. You can make a nice arrangement out of the empty frames so the whole collection becomes your art. You could also find inexpensive frames at Michael's or Hobby Lobby, say all black ones, paint pieces of poster board/art board in the colors of your pillows and make an arrangement that mimics a Mondrian. Habitat ReStore always has windows as do architectural salvage companies. Garage sales are another alternative. I once bought a 4'x6' mirror for $5 and a solid maple dresser for $20. (My sister-in-law's friend bought a 5 carat diamond for $5! Sheesh, wish I had found that!!) Deals are out there! I think it's entirely possible to have a real conversation piece above your sectional with some searching and a little elbow grease. Think of it as modern day hunting and gathering. Finding stuff in unexpected places is a fun adventure with the added benefit that it will have a story attached to it. Good luck.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 7:18AM
dclostboy
I guess it's time you changed your coffee filter, Margo. It really is not as bad as you're saying.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 7:53AM
TahiaLore
C'mon, y'all, let's tone it down a bit. Isn't Houzz the space for some of us to ask for advice and graciously receive opinions? It's supposed to be good fun and the usefulness of it (for me, anyway) is to get a wide range of different suggestions, and apply as I see fit. dclostboy, Margo, Denita and flair's advice have been invaluable to me and I am completely satisfied with the advice thread. So, thanks again. I am one happy customer who achieved a short-term solution and awesome ideas for the long haul! All's good...really.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 7:55AM
pcmom1
Just one more idea before signing off, "industrial"open shelves behind sofa. Great for hiding nail holes (I have a lot also).
The Brick House · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 5:42PM
nakpan
Please let the mirror idea go. It's making the room look cheap. The mirror type is not decorative enough. The worse thing you can do in decorating is try to make something work that doesn't. Also I agree with the other comments, the color is too cold, looks like a baby boys room color or bathroom color. You need to brighten and warm up the room. You can do it with color, area rugs, pillows for the couch. You could do a stencil or wallpaper going up the wall behind the couch. Anything but that mirror! I think I have that same mirror from ikea.
    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 3:32AM
flair lighting
mabybe some color in the curtain?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 10:15AM
Beverly Anderson Interior Design
I like the idea of framing the mirror and using it as a floor mirror... then doing a grouping of art/photos over the sofa
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 10:21AM
It's a little low, but the main problem. it's not wide enough. Should about 18" taller. Think scale. If it just doesn't look right, it isn't.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:22PM
Or you could get two more just like this one hang vertically with 1-2" between them center above sofa. Would add more interest.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:24PM
Get a area rug try shag In A color from pillows. Do I see orange?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:25PM
Move floor lamp to,other side and get a small table where floor was. Then ad a very tall lamp with a orange base, dark brown shade. You have a mid century look going.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:27PM
Small pictures on side wall not working or is bookcase.
Flair lighting, shows a better type mirror.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:29PM
pcmom1
Another fun thing to hang on wall behind the sofa would be some sort of musical instruments.
west mercer remodel · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 6:42PM
pcmom1
You can warm up the space by bringing some life in. Add a great real house plant:
Gallery Loft · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 6:46PM
pcmom1
Other easy art, and a great way to add warmth and personality, is the addition of photography: children, your area, favorite vacations. Just purchase large multiple frames and have favorites done up large. I had one done that way 3 by 5 feet for only $30.
DKOR Interiors - Interior Design at the Beach Club, Miami Beach, FL · More Info

Rock Hatchery - Black and White Photography · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 6:50PM
pcmom1
Oh, extreme closeups of you and hubby!
Sitting area · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 6:51PM
Denita
Very cool pcmom1 :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 6:54PM
TahiaLore
Thanks all. Great ideas -- not as easy or expedient to apply since I have to order on-line and wait for items to be imported, but doable.

travis, I know what you mean about the wall and the bookcase but I just don't know how to fix it. I need something there for the phone.

Please note I'm already looking for replacements for the sectional wall and these additional ideas have been very helpful.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 10:55AM
Where do you live? Also just a small table instead of bookcase would work for phone. Put right next to sofa. Why must everything be ordered on line?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 10:30AM
On The Inside Design
Yes, it should be at least 18" to 2 feet above the sofa.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 10:33AM
Heidi Lofton
Here's te easiest fix: straighten the rug! Things on diagonals are less interesting and more messy. Keep up the good work!
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 10:38AM
TahiaLore
Nancy Travis Interiors, I live in Colombia, South America. The decor style I like is not easily found locally (hence the furniture mismatch styles), so I order most of my decor items from Target, Wayfair, OneKingsLane, and Amazon.

I liked your advice regarding getting 2 more mirrors, but they won't fit the wall if they're placed vertically...too tall. So, I'm thinking about sending it out to be reframed, if it's cheaper than buying a new one. How wide should the frame be?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 12:37PM
TahiaLore
Thanks for comment Heidi. Here's the thing, since the rug is too small for the sectional, I followed previous Houzz advice and placed it diagonally.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 12:39PM
TahiaLore
Nancy, how about one of these for the side table needed for the phone?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 12:42PM
Large space above couch! Any ideas.
We are on a budget and open to any ideas! I was...
deckerjs16
What to put on the walls above the couch
I have dark gray walls with green accents in the room....
leakyla
What and how to hang items above a couch
I do not have any photos. I have a couch that...
ocasio74
How do I decorate above these couches?
I love both pieces of artwork but I think they are...
cecnolan
Need help with wall art above couch.
I've been living in my current home for 7 months and...
danielac80
help! WALLPAPER delima
I'm looking for wallpaper to go in this accent wall,...
beth
Revere Pewter
Hi, I'm thinking of using Revere Pewter as an all-over...
kareng12310
Nursery paint color dilemma?! Need help!
We painted a stripe wall however we used different...
EleganceDecor2014
SOS!!! Need full makeover - Living Room
Need all new furniture New wall color? Should I remove...
Michael O'Leary
Old and Forgotten Master Bedroom - Needs Help!
Our master bedroom does not scream "master"...
Lisa