Door to Door Sales / Soliciting?
Do you get solicitors at your door in your neighborhood? If so, how do you handle it? Are you interested sometimes or do you find it more of a nuisance? How do you handle it?

Share your experience! (Photos encouraged)

Barnhart Gallery
I let Everest greet them.
38 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 11, 2014 at 3:50PM
rosecottagehome
Hate door to door sales! When we lived in the big city, I posted a small note on the front door: No Solicitation.........including religious, in small letters. Thanks and have a nice day!
9 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 11, 2014 at 3:58PM
hanna1984
If I think the person at the door is a salesman I usually don't answer. They eventually go away. :)
11 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 11, 2014 at 5:15PM
strejul
In our area that "solicitor" is possibly a burglar checking to see if the house is occupied. If no one answers they will go around to the back and break in. So I always answer the door!
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 11, 2014 at 5:37PM
bluenan
I've never had a salesman out here, only the occasional Jehovah's Witness. I just hide out until they leave...
13 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 11, 2014 at 5:39PM
stryker
A dying breed of vermin. And I was one once, long ago. They still come around, but I've learned to cut them off as fast as I cut off telephone solicitors. Have you ever heard of anyone saying "I am so HAPPY I bought this from a high pressure door-to-door salesman!"?
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 6:15AM
dclostboy
There's nothing like Girl Scout cookies :)
10 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 6:36AM
It depends on my mood;)
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 6:41AM
rosecottagehome
If I still lived in the big city and had that sign on my door, I would add..........except for Girl Guides! That's what we call them in Canada and boy their cookies are delicious!
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 8:12AM
puffle111
Thieves posing as salespeople have committed multiple robberies in my city in the last few weeks. They knock on the front door and if no one answers, one of them kicks a back door in. Police here recommend that we answer door without opening it.
Don't want to cause anyone anxiety but being well-informed about crime is one form of prevention.
12 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 9:10AM
tsudhonimh
We have a "No Soliciting" sign. It doesn't always work. So I point to the sign and close the door in their face without saying anything.

Phoenix has regulations for solicitors regarding hours, ID requirements, must show ID immediately if asked, and most important, that they MUST leave the premises immediately when told to. According to the ordinance, a solicitor is anyone "who goes from door to door in a residential neighborhood, without invitation, seeking to speak with one or more occupants thereof for a commercial purpose."

That covers all the "just taking a survey" people too.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2011/10/13/20111013phoenix-solicitors-hours-cut-back.html#ixzz2yh4t1toc

An individual convicted of a violation could be sentenced to up to six months behind bars and ordered to pay of a fine of up to $2,500. A business convicted of a violation could face fines as high as $25,000.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/03/04/20110304phoenix-city-council-solicitors.html
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 10:24AM
Jessica
My cousin greets them at the door with his pet python around his neck. Since he's over six feet tall, all muscle from laying brick as his job, and covered in biker tattoos the door to door guys don't generally stick around for long. In fact, most apologize for having the wrong address and can't get out of there fast enough.

My ex on the other hand got suckered into buying a $4000 vacuum cleaner by one of these guys.

Like puffle111 in my area thieves are known to go door to door pretending to be from the power or phone company and if you answer they will push their way in and rob you with a gun or knife or just beat you. The police told me to keep my security door locked and talk to these guys that come to the door through it and demand to see their identity card from whatever company they are from and then call that company to find out if they are there for legitimate purposes. And if they can't show one to call 911 immediately.
11 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 10:38AM
puffle111
Jessica, the image of your cousin made my day! I am sure a python would deter the criminals in my area!
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 11:14AM
stryker
Jessica, from this and other threads you've posted on, your area sounds like a war zone. I hope there are some redeeming features...
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 5:01PM
Jessica
There are. I have the Smithsonian museums, the Kennedy Center, Wolftrap, the National Zoo, the Library of Congress, and all sorts of other cultural events within easy commuting distance. This weekend is the National Cherry Blossom Festival. I am within easy distance to get to many Civil War reenactments, Mount Vernon, Colonial Williamsburg, Monticello, and many other historical sites. There are some pretty good restaurants and I can find any ethnic food I might be in the mood for from Armenian, Italian, Chinese, Somali, sushi, Mexican, etc. Of course the most important reason of any for me is that most of my extended family lives in the area. When I lived in other parts of the country I may not have missed the crime, or politics of this area, but I did miss getting together with family on weekends and holidays.
15 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 6:38PM
grobby
I live in an older neighborhood with lots of trees, ivy, yards that do require frequent maintenance, and I get a lot of guys knocking on the door wanting to do yard work. This drives me nuts. I think with the last guy, the look on my face told him everything. He apologized for bothering me.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 8:04PM
condomary
A benefit of living in a condo, no door to door ever.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 12, 2014 at 8:49PM
janadiane
We mostly just get people trying to sell their religion. I have our Menorah in a window facing the front porch right next to the doorbell and I politely point to it and say "No thank you" but they keep coming back. grrrrr
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 12:15AM
Dee Gould
A barking 100 lb German Shepherd plus a 50 lb pitbull mix behind a close door most times is all it takes but there are those few who are, shall we say zealous, but then when the door is opened and it is comfirmed these two dogs are very serious it doesnt take but seconds and the door to doors are gone....no words, no signs, no returns
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 5:09AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Sometimes the jehovah witness people have actually climbed over our gate and come to the door!!! I tell them they are trespassing, to leave immediately or I will call the sheriff.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 5:15AM
smarterthandog
I'm getting a sign that says "No Peddlers Or Tramps"
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 5:27AM
kristida
I buy all candy bars and cookies, and always talk to Jehovah's Witnesses. They are kind and polite, and can always answer any Bible questions I have! If someone is offering an unwanted service, I just say no thank you. It's not too difficult to be nice!
17 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 1:49PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Sometimes it is difficult to be nice. I do not care for anyone pushing me around on my own property. However, when people are invited, or are friends or family, they are always welcomed with southern hospitality.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 1:56PM
Am I the only person on earth who does NOT like Girl Scout cookies???? I do not see what the hoopla is all about!!
17 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 4:39PM
pegjustpeg
Thin mints and a glass of cold milk! Are you kidding, M? Heaven!
13 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 4:49PM
janadiane
Our screen door is actually a nice looking security door with a deadbolt so I usually don't worry about opening the door. I live at the end of a cul de sac with a policeman living on the corner and some other kind of law enforcement fellow across the street so I feel pretty safe. My dog barks like crazy when someone comes to the door. I can also go to a room that looks onto the porch to see who is there. If I am alone in the house and I don't recognize the person I don't have to answer the door. I am afraid if I don't answer they will think no one is home and try to break in. My area is as safe as it gets with out being gated so I don't worry too much. I know this is off topic but reading other post about bad men posing as salesmen made me think about security. If it is a concern I reccomend a security door.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 5:04PM
homefor36years
Back in the depression of 1932 there were lots of hungry people. When my mother was telling the ladies circle about all the hobos that would come to our house looking for food. the ladies laughed and told her to go out at the curb and she would probably find some kind of mark. She looked and sure enough there was a mark so they all knew my mother would feed them. My mother still was feeding people when she passed away at 99 years old. Now in this day and age you are crazy if you let someone you don't know into your house with the exception of the Girl Scouts. LOVE THEM COOKIES.
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 5:12PM
nasmijati
In my city, the Girl Scouts sell their cookies as a troop, with two adults, in front of grocery stores and pharmacies. It is much too dangerous for children to be going door-to-door.

@Margo. Have you tried Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies after they have been in the freezer? They are extra delicious that way. If you do try them that way and do not like them, I am sure a friend would be happy to reimburse you the price of the box of cookies.
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 5:28PM
bluenan
Aaaah, frozen Thin Mints, I could eat a whole sleeve in one sitting!
9 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 5:31PM
grobby
I'm out of Girl Scout cookies. They're great but don't last long, do they?
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 5:38PM
saratogaswizzlestick
I miss the Fuller Brush salesmen. Excellent products. We sometimes get Jehovah Witness. They are so nice I feel guilty not talking to them but I always try to politely send them on their way. Last year a girl came around selling $40.00 books for a school trip. I declined and she swore at me. Found out later that she was arrested for fraud. I do try to buy for school band ect.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 6:24PM
Nasmijati- I do believe I have had them frozen. So- so for me? I buy the cookies to help out the girl scouts, so no reimbursement is needed. I usually end up putting them in the Scouting for food drive by the boy scouts;)
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 13, 2014 at 7:36PM
rredpenn
My sign says it all...
32 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 14, 2014 at 4:52AM
mkritt
My elderly mother was recently taken for thousands of dollars. She had a No Soliciting sign on her door, but it didn't stop them from knocking. They cut two branches from one tree. Then they told her that her foundation was sagging. For several thousand more they put up a 4 x 4 in her basement.

Clearly realizing they had a target they came back and told her she still owed them money. Fortunately the police detective that lives across the street was home. His unmarked car was sitting in his driveway, which, when they saw the direction he had come from left. Unfortunately not before they had another check for thousands. Didn't realized all this had even happened until later. We filed a Financial Exploitation of the Elderly report with the police, but apparently not much else can be done.

It makes me sick that there are people that take advantage like that. We have taken steps to hopefully prevent this from happening again but I worry about it constantly.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 14, 2014 at 5:53AM
stryker
While any of us can be vulnerable to this kind of thing, there is something that happens to the minds of the elderly that makes them especially gullible, more trusting. Some sort of filter disappears with time. I have known several elderly people to be taken advantage of by telephone scams. The worst were solicitations from thieves pretending to be long-lost family members needing money to get them out of trouble. I agree, mkritt; it makes me sick too.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 14, 2014 at 6:08AM
foreverfarm11
I live in the country and in the 20 years I have lived here, we have had 2 religious people stop. I have big dogs, so they never stay long, they just drop off their pamphlet and go on their way. I am cordial, but not inviting. If a salesman stopped by, I would be less friendly. This is my home, I don't want strangers here.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 14, 2014 at 6:19AM
rredpenn
mkritt.. that is just awful. Sour taste in my mouth now, and I was just "tasting" those thin mints. :-/
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 14, 2014 at 6:49AM
cindyguent
I once went out my front door to let my 80lb lab in only to be shocked to find two Jehovah's witnesses standing there. My dog, who barked at everything, had been tricked with dog biscuits to let total strangers reach my front door! Normally, I do what bluenan does, hide til they go away.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 14, 2014 at 8:29PM
judywaltchase
I once had a young man come to my door saying his car had broken down. Red flags went up immediately but I still tried to help. I told him he could not come in my house to use the phone but he could use it outside. (Not many cell phones 20 years ago). I placed the phone outside, closed and locked the door and waited figuring the worst that could've happened was I loose a phone. I then went back out after he left and there was my phone with $3.00. Sometimes people just need help.
9 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 14, 2014 at 8:47PM
glensmith16
Just don't answer the door
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 14, 2014 at 9:47PM
skmom
Only time I slammed the door in the face of a salesman was the time when all 5 of my children were still toddlers and babies and he kept ringing the doorbell for about 3 minutes. I answered in a huff and he said "well, I saw a kid waving to me in the window so I knew you must be home." Grrrr!!! Ever consider I might be indisposed at the moment!?

Most of the time I answer and just politely say "no thanks." Our current neighborhood has a no soliciting policy, but that doesn't stop the guys saying "we were doing work for some of your neighbors..." Or the young people selling magazine subscriptions or books.
I really appreciated the Schwanns man who apologized for bothering me, handed me a pamphlet saying "I know you're new to the area, call me if this is something you're interested in, but I'll never bother you again otherwise." He delivers to many of my neighbors, but true to his word he had never bothered me again in the last two years, so I didn't mind him.
My husband is softer with solicitors than I am though. He grew up in a nice area and assumes better of people. I grew up in a high crime area and assume they're casing my home. He sometimes buys stuff from them, I send them on their way.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 7:36AM
shars55
We have a no solicitors sign which works well about 90% of the time. If someone rings and tries to sell me something, I ask them if they are able to read. Lol they usually respond, " I'm not selling anything, I want to clean your carpets for free!" Yeah, right.

To the people who don't answer the door, if you live in the burbs like I do, that's not smart. We have people here who knock to see if you're home, if they don't get an answer, they'll break in. We were told by our neighborhood watch officer from the police department to always let them know you're home. You don't have to open the door, you can just yell at them through it.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 7:45AM
shelleyuk
Gosh you unfriendly lot, I'm a solicitor and your signs are just mean ("solicitor" is what we in England call an attorney).
10 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 12:00PM
shelleyuk
Mind you I wouldn't be surprised if people had "no lawyers" signs too!
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 12:00PM
lellogirl
Last summer, some religious people came to my door. I do believe that particular church is a rented space at the end of the street. I opened the main door to two women and a child, but I just said, "Oh, no thank you," and they left. We live on a dead-end street, so we don't get much traffic, foot or otherwise.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 12:19PM
Libbmom
Had a religious group come by twice in the last few days...I live in the country at least a 1000 feet in the middle of the woods of the road...you cannot see my house at all through the trees. One time it was an elderly lady and I am not sure if anyone was with her...the next time it was 2 women, but only one came to the door. I can appreciate their cause, but I think it is really unsafe for them to go to someone's door when they have NO idea who lives there...
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 12:57PM
stryker
You're right, Libbmom. The danger can go both ways. I sold Electrolux vacuum cleaners door to door in high school. Some of the people answering the door were creepy. I remember one drunk guy who would have loved to have a teenager come in and give him a "demonstration." That was one open door I did NOT go through.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 2:40PM
Libbmom
It is sad to say but...the world is not the same as when there were Electrolux, Fuller Brush, insurance agents, etc. that would go door to door...NOR would I ever consider working in a convenience store at night...or have a loved one work there...
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 3:06PM
hayleydaniels
Years ago when we were painting the outside of our house this salesman came to the door so I went in and answered it. When I told him I wasn't interested, his response was 'that's what my mama says to my daddy' and kept at me with similar comments. Finally after a few minutes of dealing with his aggressiveness I had to go get my husband who told him to get lost. That was the only way he would leave. It was very unnerving, and to this day I'm very grateful that my lab [in the avatar] goes absolutely wild when someone comes to the door so people are more than happy to have me not open the screen door when I tell them she'll have them on the gound if I open the door so we can talk. BTW, back when this incident happened we didn't have a screen door. Now I lock it and open a window if I want to talk over the insane barking.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 3:13PM
Libbmom
I love my 2 canine doorbells...
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 3:43PM
lahansley
I totally ignore them when they ring the door bell. Will not let them enter my space. One needs to be cautious about opening the door to an unknown person.
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 15, 2014 at 4:04PM
Brenda Walker
What an aggressive place the USA sounds! I agree with Shelly, I too have done door to door sales, people in the UK are much friendlier, I rarely met nasty people. Some people are just trying to earn a living, better than living off the state. I always give people the time of day when they come to my door. There is a nice way to say 'no'.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 1:47AM
tinetine
I post a sign on the door, rarely answer the door without looking to see who it is. Whether or not the dogs clue them in that they should get on their way.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 3:59AM
Christine Graves
I get Jehovah witnesses every year and it can be a pain...those I ignore. The rest I answer the door and say no politely.
One guy was particularly aggressive and was repeatedly asking questions.... He wanted to know who drove the truck sitting out front of my house. My reply was: You will find out after I run you down with it, for trying to invade a woman's privacy...but of course that is if you manage to out run the bullet I am going to fire at you. Didn't your Father ever teach you about respecting a woman's answer of NO means NO? He walked away after that!
16 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 4:56AM
Sustainable Dwellings
I LOVE YOUR SIGN!!!!
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 5:03AM
hestiavermont
I live out in the country and cannot see neighbors. I would NEVER open the door to a stranger.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 5:26AM
mairece
Our city prohibits door-to-door sales if you have your house posted "No Soliciting." Doesn't work. I have a security door on all the doors but I still don't answer the door if I don't recognize the person and I have a large dog.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 5:44AM
Anna Rhees
We've made friends with the Jehovah's Witnesses in our area. They're more interested in our ongoing renovations now than in evangelizing! We haven't had any other folks come door to door.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 5:57AM
nkeunen
Hate them. And god save them from my wife if they ring the doorbell and wake up the baby. Had to get a sign recently; we'll see if it helps.
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 6:03AM
tw123456
I have not done this in a while, but when salesmen used to call on the phone, when I answered, I would tell them to "hang for a second", then go back to whatever I was doing, a few min. later I would come back and say "hold on please", then do the same again. The same ones never called again, but best of all though, it was a lots of fun, especially for the aggressive ones.
10 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 6:35AM
johsmi
I put a phone to my ear and wave them off as maybe I look occupied.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 6:36AM
Hahah johsmi- I think that is what my son does when he comes in the house. He is on the phone so I won't belabor him with my questions;)
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 7:01AM
How about this? When someone comes to the door. Open the door and say HI and then ask the person if they would like to donate to fundraiser you are collecting money for. I would love to see the look on their face and hear their answer lol
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 7:03AM
winkoo
we know not to open the door to strangers but need to acknowledge them so they don't bust the door in. I usually holler through the door 'we don't open the door to strangers'. One religious bunch said they would stop by next time. I had to holler 'you will still be strangers, don't bother'. I am really sick of people trying to sell crap and their wacky beliefs at my front door. It is insulting and rude. It should be illegal.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 7:14AM
smfmom
That's funny!!
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 7:29AM
ddelora
I point to the "no soliciting" sign in the middle of my door. Ask them if they can read/understand English. They always answer "yes". Then I tell them that "comprehension" of the English language is paramount if we are to converse with each other. Once they complete a course in English comprehension, there will be no need for them to knock on my door. They never come back.
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 7:29AM
Cinar Interiors, Inc.
Here in Texas I have several No Trespassing signs in and around my property. If someone has the audacity to knock on my door to try to sell me something they are met with 2 things. #1 Bocephus my 130lb pit/lab mix and #2 my shotgun. I haven't seen a door salesman in years.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 7:34AM
shars55
Brenda, this is my private domicile, and I will not be harassed! (Anyone who watched Breaking Bad will understand that..lol). But seriously, try to sell me anything you want in the store, but In my own home, I should have the right not to have to go answer my door and fend off pushy salespeople. That's why I put up a sign. Most people respect it, but those who don't are treated with the same respect that gave me by knocking on my door.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 7:38AM
Snaggy
I always ask them ... what bit on the no door to door sales sign do you not understand ...after that it's piss off !!
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 7:39AM
JAC Frances
I now live in a community that posts a "No Soliciting" sign at the only entrance--and enforces it. Funny, last month a candidate for Sheriff showed up at my door asking for my vote. I smiled (snickered really!) and said, "Did you miss the sign at the entrance to the neighborhood?" You should've seen the look on his face...priceless!

I once lived on a street that seemed to be the hub for every solicitor in the county. We eventually put a small sign up right next to the door bell so they couldn't miss it. That helped. Anyone who dared to ring that bell who was selling anything I stopped them in mid sentence and pointed to the sign and sent them on their way.

One Thanksgiving morning around 10 am, I was in the kitchen getting ready to have people come for dinner that evening. I was still in my robe, half asleep when I saw two older men come up the walk. They were getting ready to push the Watch Tower on me and I simply said to both, "Shouldn't you be home helping your wives in the kitchen?" They were stunned. Mission accomplished. ; )
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 9:33AM
Diana LaRocque
Having given birth to twins, whenever they slept was a a godsend and of course that was usually when the door to door salesman arrived ringing the bell and awakening the babies. Until I posted the following sign:

Babies nap time.
You wake 'em, you take 'em!

I was never disturbed again! I am almost 70 and still use that sign with the same results!!
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 9:41AM
bellamia1222561
I have a cute heart shaped slate sign on my front gate....I painted no soliciting no trespassing on it. Except for my neighbors kids which I welcome, I have had no solicitors or JW's since. Maybe its the 160 pound ROTTWEILER on my porch....Just kidding
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 9:49AM
tw123456
Johsmi, has the phone ever rang while you were doing that? LOL
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 10:22AM
tw123456
One of the ways they try to bully women is if you say, I can't buy this, I have to ask my husband, they then say "you need permission to buy something?" GRRRRRRR!!
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 10:26AM
rauraum
If I think it is a salesman at my door, I don't answer. I hate the needless interruptions! If I answer the door by mistake then I immediately tell them I'm not interested and close the door.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 10:51AM
vjs12
I look out my sidelights; wave and shake my head "NO"!
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 11:00AM
beverley111
I live in a small town and many times students come to the door selling tickets or asking for donations for school activities. Also it is not unusual for one of my neighbors to be canvassing for a charity. I always answer the door and treat them politely even if I am not able to contribute. Even strangers will appreciate being treated with respect - just say "no thank you" firmly and politely.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 11:05AM
dianahango
I usually don't answer or just say I'm not interested. A few don't want to take "no" for an answer.We often get people selling meat so I just say we're vegetarians. Once some male Jehovah Witnesses approached my husband when he was out working in the yard and he asked them to give him a hand with moving some heavy items and then talked their ears off. I haven't seen them since.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 11:24AM
prettybaby341
Ask the Jehovah's Witness people to take you off their list of solicitation. One of them asked me, after I scolded her and said she was selling religion, if I simply wanted to be removed from her master list. Really? I asked? It's that easy? And folks, at least here, it is.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 11:44AM
tw123456
Winkoo, I have never heard of any salesman "busting the door down" before. Has that happened to you before?
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 12:08PM
Bob Forsberg
Simple signs have worked well over the years.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 12:26PM
winkoo
tw123456 salesmen don't bust the door down. casers do. They go through a neighborhood looking for homes that nobody is home and then get in any way they can to rob you. when you don't answer they assume the house is safe for the pickings. I am in so cal. and it happens all too often. usually they go through a broken window or a back door but sometimes they do kick the doors in. I don't think this is anything new for thugs.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 2:07PM
jeaniy02
In our previous neighborhood we had many visits from Jehovah's Witnesses. We'd either hit the deck and hide or I'd tell them, "no thanks, we're very happy with our current religion."

Now we live in a nicer neighborhood and, bless their hearts, we get hit up by kids selling for their extracurricular activities allllll the time. (They all avoided our old neighborhood, so we've had to get used to this in a hurry) Sometimes I buy and sometimes I don't, but I remember having to do the same thing when I was a kid, so I always try to be extra nice to the kids.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 2:33PM
MicKat Ken
I was Safety and Security Chair for our suburbia neighborhood. After 2 break-ins we made several changes. One was to be non- receptive to solicitors. We created an attractive, easy to read, 4x6 print; bought attractive black wooden frames at the $ Store to hang next to our doorbells. It says "NO soliciting, trespassing, flyers; Services, Goods, donations, Religious, or Political. Violators will be reported to the police." The optional last line says: "Neighborhood Children Welcome!" These signs carried legal weight. Neighbors using the same sign sent a unified message to solicitors. >KNOW< your city's soliciting laws and CALL THE POLICE if anyone breaks them. Firstly, NEVER ENGAGE CONVERSATION WITH SOLICITORS IF YOU DON'T FEEL SAFE. Be safe first, polite later! Solicitors, never with a permit! argued that they were allowed to be there; and 90% of the time they were wrong! 20% of the time it was a sham. AND...DEFINITELY let that person knocking at your door know that someone is home! Knock back, flip the porch light on and off, or speak through the locked door for them to "go away". If they don't, call the police. We eventually became a "No soliciting neighborhood". At the beginning, some solicitors ignored the neighborhood sign, and were asked to leave by the police. I also called the solicitor's company to report our rules, the city's laws, and their "oversight"; Companies do not want the negative publicity. People such as, but not limited to bypass the sign: Utility companies, phone book deliverers, census takers...
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 3:11PM
henann
I came up with a great idea while I was renovating. Every time a solicitor knocked, I came to the door with tools in hand, or covered in drywall dust or paint. So now, I keep an old paintbrush (with strategically dried paint on it) by the door. I muss my hair a little, grab the brush, and answer the door! Quick and easy, can't argue with wet paint!
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 4:39PM
troysmommy
We once moved to a rental property in the country, there were no other houses we could see from out yard. The yard was horribly infested with gophers, and hubby had been dealing with them with a shotgun. I was home alone one day, and about 6 months pregnancy, when 2 men claiming to be JW's came to the door. One of them actually pulled the screen door open and put one foot on the door sill I told them I wasn't interested but he kept his foot inside. I liked over and hubby's 22 was right there. I picked it up, threw the bolt and told them they were trespassing. I have to admit I was never bothered again.
Apologies to any of the JW faith who are Houzzers.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 5:58PM
lc29
We have very aggressive door-to-door salespeople here and a lot of them look like people you wouldn't open your door to in the first place! A no soliciting sign is a must have and if they've ignored it I just point to it from the safety of the window next to my door and say no. That way I get my message across without opening my door and let them know that, yes, there is someone home so don't feel free to break in if that's what you have in mind. Knock-knock burglars is what they are called here because if they knock and no one answers, they will break in.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 16, 2014 at 11:39PM
vernsmom
Please accept my apology, troysmommy. As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, that kind of behavior would not be acceptable on any level and I do not blame you for being upset. Our intention is not to upset people but to draw attention to good family values and how to have a happy life. I am sorry for your bad experience.
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 17, 2014 at 6:05AM
luckylyn5
Years ago when I was a teenager, someone came to our door proselytizing (Jehovah's Witness, maybe). My mom politely said that we were Jewish, but that didn't deter them. So my mom said, "Ok, how about this? I'll let you in and give you 20 minutes to tell me about your religion. BUT first you have to give me YOUR home address and then sometime in the future, I'll come to your house and you let me come in and tell you about MY religion for 20 minutes."

The person got all flustered and said he/she couldn't do that. My mom said, "if you won't do it, why should I?" The person left and we never had a religious person come to our door again.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 17, 2014 at 7:04AM
hetherfether
Why does nearly everyone feel obligated to open the door to a stranger? Are you afraid of potentially offending someone you've never met and probably will never see again? With home invasions and scam artists on the rise, it's much safer to look out a window without opening the door and tell the person you aren't interested. Period. Then walk away. No need to engage in any conversation and they will hopefully quickly get the message and stop bothering you. That's our Sheriff's Dept's suggested way of dealing with "unexpected guests." I know from experience: I once purchased a former drug house and just before Christmas the first year, a past customer came calling. This was the method I used to greet them and never saw them or any of their associates again. Safety first.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 17, 2014 at 8:18AM
mairece
Off topic: Hetherfether, did you get the house tested for meth before you bought it?
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 17, 2014 at 1:05PM
I can't believe that in this day with computers. You still get people knocking on doors. I get the Girl Scout selling cookies. Or maybe a Mormon spreading the good word. That's it. Usually I don't go to door.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 18, 2014 at 1:05PM
Margo lol. I agree Girl Scouts cookies are overrated, ever since they took tran fats out. Nothing taste as good.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 18, 2014 at 1:09PM
Shelly No Lawyers sign, would work for me. Sorry about comments. But most people don't want to be bother. It was fine in my grandmother days. A lot of people didn't drive and would depend on others to sell them stuff. Like Fuller Brush. Avon, But with computers, TV and a phone. No need to leave your house if you don't want to.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 18, 2014 at 1:14PM
wasacampbell
I remember regular visits from the Fuller Brush man when I was a girl. It was not unusual for my mother to have a list for him. I think my parents bought a set of encyclopedias or some type of educational set of books that way too. We ( 3 siblings and parents) used them for years but then that was before computers and Google. When my husband and I lived on the farm, we had more door-to-door visits than we do now here in town. Some were down right scary! We got a great dane and she certainly did her job. Best farm dog we ever had!
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 18, 2014 at 3:46PM
Genevieve
simple

1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 18, 2014 at 8:20PM
Penny V.
We mainly have two groups of church folks come by our house. The Mormons are friendly, and always offering to help around the property, but I always try to decline. I usually say I'm busy and send them on their merry way, but my husband is too talkative, so they tend to ask for him. It's a tough spot, I want to be polite to everyone, but I don't want to talk religion with outsiders, especially since both of us are pagans, and happily so.

Most of the other soliciting types just left us flyers, as we weren't home, or mail us the "welcome to the neighborhood" stuff, since we have a propane tank, and everyone wants us to subscribe for their propane delivery rackets.

Since I don't currently have a dog (I'm used to having Shepherd-Great Dane mixes like my two girls in the photo, the older of the two has produced a couple of exceptionally smart K9 search and rescue, and other service dogs. The other one is the "runt" of the last litter, exceptionally smart one, too), I usually just pretend not to be home if I spot their car outside, but they tend to come by on pretty days, when I'm out in the garden, so it's hard to dive for cover and pretend I'm not there when I'm 6 months pregnant, and there is a perfectly good line of sight from the driveway to my veggie patch...

...I live in a rural enough neighborhood, where everyone knows their neighbors well enough, where if they see a strange car in a neighbor's driveway, they'll call the homeowner and check if they know who it is. And my neighbors down the hill from us are a good crime deterrent; they're competitive mounted shooters, so they ride their horses within line of sight from our property with guns blazing.

Our driveway is so short, that sometimes when someone pulls up, even if it's just to do a U-turn, I do sort of wonder how long they've been there, as I don't have a good line of sight to that side of the house, and the insulation is good enough, where I don't always hear the gravel moving under tires or feet. I'm going to put up a sign by the driveway saying "No trespassers/No solicitors". I just want to find one that is friendly enough to not scare away the folks who are welcome, but does suggest the rest take a hike.

I'll probably install a driveway alarm with a portable chime for myself at some point, if I don't end up with a big enough dog to have a canine deterrent. I just can't handle training a big working dog puppy appropriately while pregnant or raising a newborn.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 20, 2014 at 1:04AM
mairece
Get an "outside" dog! They'll be an early warning system and scare off (hopefully) any intruders. It's not necessarily the size that matters. It's the noise.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 20, 2014 at 2:57AM
tw123456
A two headed dog? This should scare anyone! Lol.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 20, 2014 at 7:04AM
Penny V.
"It" is 120 pounds of love and cuddles, and big teeth. ;)
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 20, 2014 at 1:14PM
davepoe82
?
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 20, 2014 at 6:48PM
davepoe82- you have a question?
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 20, 2014 at 6:49PM
jonomat
We used to get religious individuals, the "we're doing work in your neighborhood" people, the "I've heard your roof needs fixing" kind (yea on a brand new house.. Sure) and all other types until we got a driveway gate.
Now I'm avoiding putting an intercom down there just so we never get anyone again haha
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 20, 2014 at 7:54PM
davepoe82
Wow! I wonder why Americans have the reputation for being rude, impatient and inhospitable! I can understand Penny's attitude, she is pagan, so not held to Christian principals, but I will bet that most of the rest of you "claim" to be Christians! Whatever happened to obeying Jesus' commands to treat others the way you want to be treated? I wholeheartedly agree with all those recommending caution and safety measures...that is common sense. But that aside, what's wrong with demonstrating common decency and hospitality? Hospitality is defined as kindness to STRANGERS, not family members. Why be nasty and hateful to someone just trying to do their job, or raise funds for a school, or worse yet, to someone trying to share something from the Bible - that I'm sure most of you claim to love and adhere to? Jesus said we were to love even our enemies...it's pretty bad for us if we aren't even capable of being civil to some poor salesman! I have my own religion too, but I respect those with the courage to follow Jesus example and obey his command to preach the good news to the best of their ability-- despite such ill treatment. Shame on me and my church for not doing the same! . As a Christian, I'm always happy to discuss the scriptures when I can. I will admit that I too have occasionally had to walk ALL the way to my door, to answer it, and have been somewhat inconvenienced by this. But I certainly don't have to act like a child throwing a tantrum about it! That attitude says a lot more about what kind of person you are than it does about the individual knocking.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 20, 2014 at 7:55PM
djbittle
Once had a guy who attempted to push in past me until my Dear Husband rounded the corner and another time a crazy lady came in the unlocked front door on the first day we lived in our current home. Since then, I never open the door to anyone I don't know and my door is always locked even when I'm home.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 20, 2014 at 8:15PM
tw123456
Davepoe82, it must be wonderful being you. Living with you must be a real joy.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 20, 2014 at 9:01PM
stryker
davepoe82, would you have the same attitude if a muslim or atheist or buddhist came to your door and tried to convince you that their beliefs were better than yours?
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 21, 2014 at 6:17AM
tw123456
Dave would still have the same attitude if a ..... for a while, until they started getting pushy and aggressive.
Dave, do you remember what Jesus said?, he said "don't throw your pearls before swine", it does not mean that you should not share your faith with those who are willing to listen, but what it means is, if people don't want to listen, then stop pushing your religion or what you are trying to sell them. The same goes for those who come to your door, and behave aggressively.

Oh by the way Dave, your SARCASM is well noted here. I remember something IN THE BIBLE about SPEAKING IN LOVE. To me, you don't seem to have that love.

Dave, do you think Jesus would approve your SELF RIGHTEOUS/I AM BETTER THAN YOU ATTITUDE? You remind me of when Jesus told the parable of the PHARISEE, and the TAX COLLECTOR (even in those days, tax collectors were hated, because, the rates were so unreasonable) in the temple, "the Pharisee standing there praying this to himself saying 'God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this TAX COLLECTOR. I fast twice a week, I pay tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look to heaven, but beat his chest and said, 'God have mercy on me, a sinner.' Then Jesus explained, "I tell you that this man,rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and who humbles himself will be exalted." LUKE CHAPTER 18: VERSE 11.

Dave, we have all sinned and have come short of the glory of God/of what God expects of us, but I, like the TAX COLLECTOR, I know that I don't do things, or say the right thing always, but I thank God that he is not like man, but he is always willing to forgive, when we ask him for forgiveness.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 21, 2014 at 7:42AM
bluenan
As one who is of the mind that what one believes is personal and private, and that knowing the difference between right and wrong and acting in that knowledge is all that matters, I am opting out of this discussion. Preaching doesn't sit well with me.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 21, 2014 at 7:49AM
jen046
I don't answer the door unless I expect someone. Everyone I want to see knows my phone number and knows how to use their phone. Even if they are there for an impromptu visit and sitting in their car outside my home, they call. That gives me a chance to put my bra back on!

My grandfather (may he rest in peace) used to love it when proselytizers would come to his door. An extremely intelligent, educated and quick witted man, he would spend hours engaging them in religious discourse while slowly bating them until they were in such a dither they left questioning there very existence. Mean? Maybe. Eventually word got around and no one came to visit him anymore. I think that greatly saddened him as it spoiled his fun.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 21, 2014 at 8:22AM
davepoe82
Sorry...rereading my note, I realize that I really did come off sounding sarcastic and self righteous ...didn't mean to... I just get so frustrated with people treating others so rudely all the time. And yes, I would be genuinely happy to listen to a Buhddist or Muslim, etc. if they were sincerely practicing what they felt their faith taught. Jesus did command his followers to preach, ( Matthew 28:19,20) so I feel that we shouldn't condemn those who do their best to obey that command. If anything, we should try to help them, if we really feel that they are misguided. I personally have had members of 2 different religious groups come to my door quite often over the years. I have never known any of them to act aggressively in any way. They are always soft spoken, well dressed and polite. We have had some interesting discussions, and although we don't always agree on everything, we respect each other's convictions. At 1 Peter 3:15 we are admonished to always be ready to make a defense of our faith, but mildly and with deep respect. If we are Christians, we are obligated to treat everyone with dignity. I apologize for sounding harsh myself.
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 21, 2014 at 10:00AM
jen046
Oops! "...their very existence," not "...there very existence." I obviously did not inherit my grandfather's intelligence!
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 21, 2014 at 4:20PM
troysmommy
Sorry Dave, but when I am a pregnant woman home alone with a small child, and 2 men who claim to be representatives of a specific religion put a foot in the door and will not allow me to close the door, and tell me I NEED to find salvation for my unborn baby I get very unchristian. I'm sure Jesus understood.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    April 21, 2014 at 4:41PM
hetherfether
mairece - re: off-topic question - no, did not have the house tested for meth, but did have all the vents cleaned. the flooring throughout was brand new and everything freshly painted. thanks for your concern!
1 Like   April 21, 2014 at 8:27PM
dogmom5
Davepoe82 times have changed in our neighborhoods, cities & towns making it necessary to be very cautious when answering the door to strangers. I find it offensive & a waste of my time when religious people or salesmen come to my door. We don't know who these people are. Anyone can get an inexpensive shirt with a logo embroidered on it & carry a clip board. Although my neighborhood & town are safe it doesn't matter. The solicitors & religious people aren't from my town. There's an appropriate time & place for religious talks but not at my front door. I find it extremely rude & overbearing coming door-to-door asking for money. The only religious sect who come are Jehovah Witnesses. If I need replacement windows, siding or whatever strangers are selling, I'll go to the store. I've asked solicitors to leave a business card or info to show my husband & in all these years not one has provided me with anything. I've never seen a company car either. Therefore it's a red flag to me. I stopped answering the door quite awhile ago. We've had German Shepherds & now have 2 large Pit Bulls. Their very deep bark says BIG. They speak for me very effectively & solicitors leave right away. No more creepy lingering at my door either. Suddenly everyone speaks "dog". Guess it's a universal language.
4 Likes   April 21, 2014 at 9:26PM
mairece
@dogmom5--I hear you! The sad part is that in the more affluent areas (at least here) the city does not want the residents to see that times have changed. If you call the mayor's office to ask what's being done about serial crimes, you hear, "Oh, the police will find them. You don't need to change the way you live." Which is b.s. Most personally oriented crimes are crimes of opportunity. If I leave my garage door open, why am I surprised to find my golf clubs missing? And having any dog is a good idea. I have four, all from either off the highway or shelters. I'd have a pitbull but the city has banned them. The best watchdog is my ShiTzu mix. And, as crazy as it sounds, the most intimidating is a large lab/boxer mix who is solid black. Door-to-door people do not like black dogs which makes me laugh.
2 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 4:07AM
Penny V.
Dave, my religion, or lack of particular denomination does not give me an excuse for behavior one way or another. You seem to assume I grew up in a jungle because my current denomination is "not Christian", and I don't want anyone coming to my door to sell me things, be they vacuum cleaners, or new religions. You have no idea how I ended up that way, but I get a whiff of presumption from your part.

Our society is based upon a certain set of core values, that are not dependent on what church you do or don't attend. I don't mind having a religious conversation with my grandmother's old family chaplain who is by now a bishop, if I run into him at a family event over coffee, but my home is my sanctuary, and I would like to have my peace there. I'm not going to local churches talking about my faith, or my gods, but that is what I liken religious folks to doing when they show up at my door, wanting to be invited in for religious conversations I did not want in the first place. My home is my sanctuary, and my garden is my church, and I would like to have a measure of peace from misguided attempts to save my soul in my church. Besides, my life choices probably take me to your hell already, so why not wish me bon voyage, and let me make my merry way there in peace? ;)

I am polite to most people, but I am not comfortable finding strangers at my door, if I'm home alone in my jammies when the door bell rings.

In its simplicity, I am home alone 10-14 hours a day, I am almost 7 months pregnant and move slowly, and if two men I don't know - even well dressed - come to my door, and I have to answer it, or in my aforementioned example, I'm out in the garden when the proselytizers show up - meaning they and their "message" are between me and my way into my home, I don't care if they've got legitimately good intentions for my soul or not, if I have a big dog, or a gun, or a pepper spray, or a garden implement within reach, I will most likely have it prepared for use, just in case. I haven't needed to use one yet, but in light of my previous experiences with strangers who appeared to have "good intentions", and my work background that exposed me to the criminal element in society, I have very few illusions of the "safety" I could get from being polite or acting "Christian", I'm not willing to take unnecessary risks.
5 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 1:21PM
nimiialla
I don't answer the door. There are too many bad people out there. If i am caught outside or accidentally answer the door i say in an irritated tone "i don't have time for this." And i walk inside and shut the door. The solicitors aren't affected but the religious ones learn because its often the same people.

I wish they would leave me alone, i dont bother them in their homes.
0 Likes   April 24, 2014 at 12:50AM
Wendy Christensen
I got rid of my front door. Hard to knock on the door when you can't find it... And my "doorbell" is a Navy surplus diving klaxon from an old submarine. That combination tends to discourage the riff-raff. Also, NRA stickers on my vehicles.
4 Likes   April 24, 2014 at 6:01PM
tw123456
Wendy, now I am really curious about where your front door is, hmmm ;0(.
0 Likes   April 24, 2014 at 9:19PM
tw123456
One day I was on the side yard almost in back yard, and this sales man comes walking back there, I look up and here he is, I'm like, "excuse me, why are you back here, go away, because I am not interested!!" JEEEEEZ!!!
0 Likes   April 24, 2014 at 9:24PM
Darla Scheuerman
I have cameras that show all 4 entry doors . I look at my monitor screen and make decisions from there. I never want to willingly open a door to a home intruder. . . He can knock on the door while I grab my gun. Inexpensive and easy to install.
2 Likes   April 24, 2014 at 9:34PM
suzanne_m
I had a guy once that were going from door to door to sell 'No Solicitation' stickers. I bought one and he never came back :))
It still not enough to keep solicitors away. I usually let them tell what they want for 5 seconds and then tell them I am not interested.
2 Likes   April 24, 2014 at 10:08PM
mairece
@Wendy Christensen, you made my day!
0 Likes   April 25, 2014 at 3:18AM
runswithpoodles
My boys like to give them a good look at these:
5 Likes   April 27, 2014 at 9:32PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Total nuisance. Perimeter gate with a call box works great.
1 Like   April 27, 2014 at 9:35PM
suzanne_m
This is not about solicitors knocking on your door but my brother-in-law used to give the phone to his 2 years old boy when he had a phone call from a saleperson. That little boy did not mind to stay on the line and talk.
5 Likes   April 27, 2014 at 9:36PM
Heidi
I put a no soliciting sign I bought at my local large home blue home store. It's in one of the side windows that frames the door. Has been great for eliminating door to door sales.
0 Likes   April 27, 2014 at 9:46PM
Penny V.
Suzanne M; I've heard a version of that approach, where the toddler is told it's Santa on the phone. Regardless of whether or not that is the appropriate approach, just imagining the conversation causes me to chuckle over my morning coffee. ;)
1 Like   April 28, 2014 at 10:26AM
speckledcat
I will answer the door if it's daytime and my husband is around. Otherwise I let people know I'm there, and don't answer. As for the people trying to share their religious beliefs, I just politely say, "I'm a born again Christian, and I don't accept witnessing from anyone outside my own church." Then I smile and shut the door.

I'm told by my family that I have an authoritative, sometimes intimidating presence, and I think that helps discourage any arguing. (Thank you, I worked hard to develop it!) I believe women would be well served by developing what law enforcement professionals call "command presence." This principle doesn't mean being rude or aggressive; it means you have an air of confidence and authority that gives off an "I'm in charge here" vibe. Watch any police officer or any successful school teacher, and you'll see an example of command presence.
8 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 10:36PM
mairece
@specklecat

Well said!
2 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 3:48AM
Penny V.
I agree with speckledcat, that projecting a presence can help a lot. I have worked as a teacher, and been military law enforcement in a previous life, and some people tell me I still have an air of authority. Military and LEO are taught to project a certain body language to either calm, or defuse different types of "customers" without getting physical with them, so I'm not exactly surprised, that those jobs are where it comes in handy. The military body language and a certain lack of putting up with nonsense was really helpful with kids, who were testing the limits of a new substitute teacher (I had some, but usually the kids didn't try pushing my buttons after a few minutes. The kids called me "Lieutenant", and some of the class clowns thought I was cool. ;) )

The teacher part... I can't really shut it off. The Mormon missionaries that have caught me in the garden usually get a very specific answer (usually one they're truly not interested in), if they ask "so what you up to?" It might be a lesson on the science of pruning trees to increase yield, or DIY bug spray recipes for the garden, or an in-depth look at permaculture vs. traditional agriculture methods, or me observing the interaction of horses in pasture and narrating what is going on... I have started thinking of myself as victorious, if the guys excuse themselves, as I'm clearly occupied.
3 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 11:38AM
rainymorning
Lots of solicitors in my neighborhood. I was thinking of putting out a small sign. But now I'm reminded of a guy I used to know who told me his tactic, when, one time too many, a church person came knocking. His reply to her, "Lady, I'm up to my ass in religion!" I always think of that but never had the nerve to use his line.
1 Like   April 30, 2014 at 12:29PM
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
Mine is more so phone calls- especially the cell. Annoying.
1 Like   April 30, 2014 at 12:32PM
Penny V.
Lori, for unsolicited phone calls, you can put your number on the national no call registry. I did that immediately after I got my phone number, as I was getting calls from telemarketers. A lot. After I tracked down who was giving my number out to hospice patients (long story short, a hospice caregiver used to have my number, and the number was on old contact information lists at nursing homes), and called them to ask to take me off their contact list, I don't get unsolicited calls anymore. The occasional wrong number calls, but mistakes happen. https://www.donotcall.gov/
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 12:45PM
Aaron Chiang
how do you know they're not your neighbor you never met?
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 12:50PM
shars55
Penny, you're lucky. Both my phones are on the Do Not Call list yet I am still bombarded daily with unsolicited phone calls. There are some unscrupulous people out there who have ways of getting around the Do Not Call list. They only thing that helps me is blocking those numbers on both my phones.
1 Like   April 30, 2014 at 12:57PM
tw123456
Shars 55, great idea about blocking, but how do you do it on your home phone?
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 1:03PM
Penny V.
Aaron, I have five neighbors, so I would assume I'm sure. A good neighbor will usually start with something like "Hi, I'm Penny, I just moved into the yellow house across the street, and thought it's time to come by and say hi. Here's homemade croissants, all organic. Here's my number, if you need something..." and tends to give away their game pretty fast. :)

Everyone in this neighborhood watches over everyone else's kids, knows the mail man and UPS guy by first name, and knows how to catch runaway horses, dogs, and goats, if they come across them, and have a good idea of where they are to be returned... Generally, most of my neighbors throughout my entire lifetime, even in big cities, don't "solicit" (trick-or-treaters and girl scout cookies and such don't really bother me), but like yesterday's impromptu visitor, might in stead of trying to sell me stuff ask if I want to play hooky from farm work and go play with horses, or to the nursery for more fruit trees in her truck, and "oh, I'll come by with the tractor to mow your weeds when it's back from the shop", and that sort of stuff.
4 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 1:06PM
playaazul
When door bell doesn't work - they have to knock. Few knock.
0 Likes   May 2, 2014 at 8:27PM
rainymorning
Put up a sign: Door bell out of order. Holler "ding-dong" real loud.
2 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 4:16AM
readbetter
Hi Margo! I never met a cookie I didn't like. But, I buy the cookies to support the Girl Scouts more than the need to eat them. Luckily, the girls in my neighborhood know me and I don't mind greeting them at the door on occasion. I'm more bothered by people trying to sell me their religion and unknown kids wearing tags selling me junk from a bin. Lately, there are men wearing red shirts and carrying clip boards who survey your house and fence and then try to sell you repairs!!!! Bottom line, I live alone and don't like anyone coming to my door - which is always closed and locked. Don't open it and let the dogs do the talking.
2 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 4:45AM
Hello readbetter- how are things? Perhaps it is time you started a new poll, you know how to get people out to *rock the vote*;))
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 5:02AM
readbetter
Margo, all is well and you? I haven't spent a dime all winter. Hmmm, a poll? What will I change now? I have no more rooms but I do have a little "clean" shed outside that I use for sitting. Maybe that????
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 5:29AM
tw123456
Emily Hurley, thanks for the like ;0). Can anyone post a poll, or do you have to be a Houzz manager to be able to do so, if anyone can, how does one do it? Thanks
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 6:55AM
tw123456
In a town near where we live, a silly, actually more like STUPID woman alone at home, answered the knock on the door, and when she opened the door, four men forced their way in and robbed her, fortunately she was not harmed.
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 7:01AM
stryker
tw123456, go under "advice" then arrow down at "design dilemma" and you can start a poll.
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 8:48AM
shars55
tw123456....your phone has to come with the capability to block calls. I went and bought a new one that would do it because the telemarketers won't stop!!! It has helped a lot!!
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 11:34AM
adivra
I respond vocally and then tell them "no thank you." My dog with a loud bark reinforces my response.
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 11:55AM
tw123456
Jean, thanks ;0).
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 4:41PM
tw123456
Jean, I followed your suggestion, and then I posted a poll, "Unwelcomed guests".
1 Like   May 4, 2014 at 7:13AM
jonathan3
I was one of 9 children. A vacuum cleaner salesman came to the house to tell us about his vacuum. Well, we were sure we had the BEST vacuum in the world. No matter what he said about his, we regaled him with stories about our canister vacuum that could suck up everything even after falling down a flight of stairs. During that time, my parents disappeared to let us entertain the guest in our home. He left abruptly. He sure was rude.
4 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 8:29PM
tw123456
jonathan, yeah, that salesman was rude leaving a bunch of kids so abruptly ;0(!! LOL
1 Like   May 4, 2014 at 8:35PM
Maxwell Mooney
I did door to door sales in California selling pest control. It's grueling work and I worked hard, ran between doors, got told no hundreds and hundreds of times a day, and kept a damn smile on my face the whole time. I was never exceptionally pushy and I was only trying to feed my wife and daughter. As a young twenty something I was out busting my ass dealing with jerks all day.

I always answer the door for sales people. I always offer them a bottle of water and see what they're selling. A simple, "hey man I'm not interested. Let's not waste either of our times." Door to door sales is about finding people who are interested. If you aren't, just let them know with assertive tone. Don't ask them a bunch of questions as that will make them feel like you're interested.

If you are interested, ask away. They can probably get you a better deal than you could normally get. No joke. Also, regarding no soliciting signs. Food in my daughter's mouth is more important than your sign and five seconds of your time. I'd say at least 30% of my accounts were from places that had no soliciting signs up.
0 Likes   May 5, 2014 at 1:45AM
reaching24
I normally answer the door for kids selling cookies, candy, etc. it takes work & courage to go around our residential neighborhood. The houses are not too close together. My kids were scouts. There was only so much I could buy or sell to family & friends. They went to other parts of our town door to door while I supervised from the street. There were people that said no & it was ok. It taught my kids not to take things personally & move on.
3 Likes   May 5, 2014 at 8:30PM
porterrock89
They kept knocking on my door and waking the baby when I was at work and my wife was home so I googled and found a company that actually sells no soliciting signs and they go after them haha. I thought it was cool, the price was higher than I thought but I bought one and it's worked so far for what was left of this summer. We'll see how next summer goes though. Oh it's www.lastknock.com if you want to look at it.
1 Like   September 6, 2014 at 8:29PM
Medium Taupe Walls
No photos yet but looking for a medium taupe wall color...
Kitchen Blue!
Help. Most of my home is Ben Moore's Sherwood Tan....
50's Floor to Ceiling Fireplace Update
The fireplace in my 1956 rambler is in need of an update...
need an inexpensive way to create a fort
I have a 6 yr old boy, my baby ( the youngest of 5...
how to make a million
gotta great house and need to bling it up!!