Need kitchen help
Lori Bowers
April 12, 2014
We are in the initial stages of starting a kitchen remodel. My dilema is two fold: we plan on knocking down half the wall on right hand side (see pic 1, pic 3 is the wall that will be removed to connect the spaces) which will involve losing the pantry space. This is so we can connect the dining room to the kitchen and have a built in wine credenza. How do we recreate pantry space?
the second is we love dark wood. Do we have a dark wood center island with white cabinets in foreground due to the small nature of the space or do all dark cabinets.
Meghan
Do you use your dinning room frequently? Have you set a budget for your remodel yet?
And I love your pendant lights!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 6:05AM
Lori Bowers
Good points Meghan. Our remodel budget is $50,000 with about 10% additional "wiggle room" if needed. We don't really use our dining room and it is connected with a traditional living room we don't use. trying to make the rooms more usable and flow better. Thanks about the pendant lights
    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 6:14AM
Abi Genazia
You could add some open shelving with pretty jars and containers for your pantry items. I'm having a hard time visualizing your island. Are you getting rid of the existing bar/sink area? If so, I'd say go with a dark island only. If you did all dark cabinets, I feel it would make the space feel smaller. I also recommend adding some cabinet and drawer pulls. Happy remodeling!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Lori Bowers    April 12, 2014 at 6:35AM
Meghan
Just a thought... But if you're knocking down the wall where the pantry is, maybe do a pantry where the refrigerator is now. And just shift everything down. And then you could have a larger, longer island too. That is if you're planing to get new cabinets as well.
Once someone has a pantry, I hear, they don't know how they lived without one.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 10:39AM
LM Designs
Hello Lori! The most cost-effective thing you can do is to bring a Certified Kitchen Designer on board. They will help you to design your space so that it not only contains all of your storage needs, but flows in a way that is conducive to your style of living & entertaining.
Engaging the assistance of a design pro before you begin shopping for cabinets & materials will allow you to have a more streamlined, organized process, which will lead to a comprehensive budget.
In other words, you will have a 'game plan' that does not involve the pressure of sales.

The best of luck to you!
~Lynn
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Lori Bowers    April 12, 2014 at 10:54AM
Traditions Cabinetry
Hi Lori, I would agree that keeping the kitchen white with a darker Island is probably best given you kitchen size, but it helps a designer immensely to actually see the space...and even more to meet with you to learn about your tastes/preferences. What is your timeframe for starting the project? -Gary
1 Like    Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 7:39PM
ParrotUncle
love the glass pendant
    Bookmark   Thanked by Lori Bowers    July 31, 2014 at 8:11PM
need kitchen help
what is name/color of granite?
courtneykoz
Need kitchen help!
Is it a good idea to get a lip for your backsplash?...
pinder14
Building a house- need kitchen help!
What is the size of the island please?
Ivy Levinson
Need kitchen help
wondering if you can upholster wooden kitchen chairs?...
jules321
Bought first house, need kitchen help
We just bought our first house and money is tight....
smar3
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Area rug, does it work?
Just purchased this area rug 8x11 and trying to decide...
criticalaoa
Help for Dorm Room
This is a new post related to my dorm room. I have...
wthrwthr
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
What did I do! Need help
I just had new tile installed all though my house....
ontime21