Saltpetre on tile

ASVInteriorsApril 12, 2014
After a number of year so using anti calcite, it seems I have lost the battle. This is an outdoor terrace with tiling. What would you use to rid the saltpetre seeping out? Thanks
GN Builders L.L.C
You have to find the source of moisture which is regularly passing through the grout joints or mortar bed causing the bleeding.
Even after cleaning if you saturate tiles and grout with water, most likely you not gonna see efflorescence to appear right away, because mostly its caused by rate of moisture evaporation. The problem there is caused by the moisture in the surface bellow the tile, mortar bed or the surface bellow releases moisture which keeps evaporating and by doing so causing this issue.
Preventive steps should have been taken prior to tile installation, right now the only thing you can do is clean the surface with appropriate cleaner and try to prevent this from happening by using good quality penetrating sealer. Make sure to use vapor permeable sealer (not the regular tile sealer), this way it will penetrate the grout and it will help to control the evaporation rate.
I used Hydra Seal which is very effective sealer... and there is also Cap-Stone ST-500 by DuPont its fairly new I haven't tried it yet, but heard from my Granite guys its a great product.
Good luck and I hope it helps.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by ASVInteriors    April 12, 2014 at 7:45AM
Many thanks . Yeah, despite the fact we were assured that the correct waterproofing had been applied before laying Down the tiles, the combination of tile and grout as opposed to pavers was always a gamble. Also I have to bear in mind we are dealing with a flat surface outside.... So eventually water wins. Moisture is constant rain and the elements...It's the cleaning that is the problem right now, so sealer is a moot point until I can get the damn saltpetre off. Many thanks your kind and helpful comments,
1 Like    Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 9:23AM
Study door
Hey guys I need a little help being pointed in the...
K Bauce
Need help with hardwood flooring.
We want to replace our carpeting in the dining room...
lady1999
Bin pulls and knobs vs. Bar Pulls with Shaker Cabinets?
Bin pulls and knobs vs. Bar Pulls with white Shaker...
dealcatcher
Need help with decorating open floor plan house.
I own a California Split featuring an open floor plan...
Theresa Kralik
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie