How to "fix" path?
berekann
The "pathfinders" base for the flagstones is too reddish. And, too wide. I intend to add more of the "woodstone" gravel along the edges, in an irregular, more curving border. This will narrow it down. Any other ideas? Gray pea gravel on top of the reddish stuff? Round stepping stones instead of flagstones? Take them out?
(The plants will flower in shades of yellow, red, purple.)
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. But, if you don't like the color of the path stone, you can stain them with concrete stain.
1 Like   April 12, 2014 at 6:29PM
berekann
Thank you! Didn't know that could be done.
What i meant was that the flagstones are too yellow, the stones they are set in are too reddish, in comparison to the patio and surrounding "woodstone" gravel.
And, the overall path is too wide so i guess i need to narrow it with more of the "woodstone". . .but wondered if maybe someone had a more creative idea.
0 Likes   April 12, 2014 at 6:38PM
rosecottagehome
I agree with you berekann that the path is too reddish and wide. You could add more of the Woodstone gravel to narrow it. Try Darzy's suggestion to use concrete stain to make the path more grey. You could use a few more plants to balance out the ratio of gravel, cement and greenery. Ornamental grasses around the base of your tree would look nice.
0 Likes   April 12, 2014 at 6:47PM
BTW, you've done a nice job. It does look like the stones are too far apart for comfortable stepping. When you walk on it, do you have to alter your normal pace to hit the stone path?
0 Likes   April 12, 2014 at 6:53PM
Since you may stain the stone, I'd suggest a bit darker stain for contrast with the patio. That way you won't to worry that it doesn't "match" the concrete.
1 Like   April 12, 2014 at 6:56PM
berekann
Thanks, Darzy. Darker stain sounds good.
Rosecottagehome, thank you, also.
Have lots of plants, but still very small. Around the Japanese maple are Santa Barbara daisy & blue fescue. Will be adding some lavendula grosso, too - as soon as i can find it. Got the plant ideas from Houzz.com, of course!
Near the house - baby bronze flax, dietes, yellow & red yarrow, daylilies, viburnum on the right.
1 Like   April 12, 2014 at 7:12PM
berekann
And, yes, maybe need to change my normal pace a bit on the steps. Had intended them to be closer, but landscaper misunderstood.
Also, found some gold-colored base gravel, maybe can mix with the current to tone it down . . .
0 Likes   April 12, 2014 at 7:15PM
garden design online
g
0 Likes   April 12, 2014 at 7:23PM
garden design online
Everything don't match each other.Add a gable porch,relandscape,you have to redesign.
0 Likes   April 12, 2014 at 7:24PM
berekann
Sorry, this is new landscaping. Took out the lawn, planted drought-tolerant perennials & etc. Not possible to add a gabled porch in this planned community.
Had envisioned the mounds and path differently, now need to tweak things a bit. . .
1 Like   April 12, 2014 at 8:17PM
rosecottagehome
berekann, your gardens plans sound wonderful! Once things get established, the paths and gravel plan you already have and look nice will be part of the bigger picture and highlight the gardens. Right now because the plants are just getting started, they take center stage and thus you notice every detail of it. In a years time, they will all blend in so nicely together.
0 Likes   Thanked by berekann    April 13, 2014 at 4:41AM
berekann
yes; plants will grow & distract from the path; plus, the eye/brain does take time to adapt to new visuals. I think once i narrow and curve the path, too, it will help. And, if i mix in some of the gold path base, will be just the right touch. Will add a picture when it's done. . .
1 Like   April 13, 2014 at 6:13AM
Maria Smith
Place flagstone in the sidewalk strip, with one piece slightly opposite the path, alternate the other pieces between the plantings (some may have to be moved. The path will be naturally extended and people will have a place to firmly step when exiting/entering their vehicle.
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 6:45AM
berekann
Hadn't thought of that! Good idea.
There are some trailing juniper there now; the flagstones would add color, contrast & convenience. Thanks!
1 Like   April 13, 2014 at 6:57AM
berekann
Here is the gold color path base; i think it will help
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 11:25AM
rosecottagehome
berekann, the gold ties into your field stone and the larger rock on the other side, best put a sample down on top and see how you like it first.
1 Like   April 13, 2014 at 1:19PM
Garden Tech Horticultural Services LLC
berekann, another idea for plantings to soften the walk might be to consider ground covers like sedum. The sedums are drought tolerant, can be planted in a stony soil and can handle some foot traffic.
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 7:53PM
berekann
Thank you. Good suggestion. Not sure if sedum does well in zone 14b (Manteca, CA).
But, the strangest thing - the flagstones are deteriorating - in 3 days! There are little eruptions on the surface and other places appear to be scraped. Getting worse daily. Am thinking i will just extend the berm across the front, eliminate the walkway, and plant something on the patio side of the berm - i like sedum, and will definitely investigate further.
Will still need a connection from front door walkway to patio - maybe can get a large stepping stone (or 2 - small circles)
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 8:12PM
shars55
I lived in Manteca for 8 years! Small world.
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 8:20PM
berekann
And, it seems to get smaller every day! I've only lived here for 1-1/2 years. But, the trains are getting more frequent & louder!
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 8:38PM
shars55
Those trains could be a pain, I used to get stuck waiting for them all the time. We left there back in 1996 when my husband was transferred to Southern California.
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 8:51PM
berekann
Good that you are outta here - more trains, more trucks, more traffic, more crime especially in Stockton, poor air quality.
I'm hoping for Arizona soon. . .
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 8:56PM
shars55
Stockton is bad, it was bad when we lived in Manteca. But I'm afraid So Cal is just as bad in areas. We live in the desert because that's where my husband works. I don't want to stay down here, either. I like Arizona, but not sure where we'll end up. Probably close to where my kids are. One is in Tracy, where we also lived for a few years and one is down here.
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 9:28PM
Young Elecrtric LLC
Looks good but....
What if the one dimensional look went to two. Add a wooden tree planter- a large one. The color and vertical dimension will give your eyes a rest front scanning left to right over the line of the hard surfaces.
Or..... Large tulips or daisies (if they could only survive all seasons) would help break it up too.
Just a thought.
0 Likes   Thanked by berekann    April 13, 2014 at 9:29PM
berekann
shars55 - Yes, every area has it's problems! And, family is a big factor in deciding where to live; some of my family is in Tracy, also. I'll probably keep my house here, and spend winters in Arizona, summers here.
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 6:14AM
berekann
youngelectric - actually, the trees are on mounds, so it isn't too one-dimensional. Am now thinking of extending the berm on the right toward the center; changing the path to a dry creek. Maybe use your idea to add a planter box with trellis along the big empty garage wall. Am getting some furniture today to fill up the patio.
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 6:16AM
Maria Smith
I quite like the path, it is inviting and functional. I might add a medium growing (and flowering) shrub at the end of the brum on the rt to soften the lines. Rosecottage is right, it will all come together as the plantings mature, I think you're on the right track!
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 7:00AM
berekann
Thanks for your positive input! good idea to plant something in front of that berm; hadn't really looked from the street side.
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 7:11AM
berekann
And, still waiting for 3 lavender to be planted along the front & side
of the left berm.
1 Like   April 14, 2014 at 7:13AM
shars55
It's going to be pretty when you get more plants in there, and the ones you have get bigger. Not sure what's going on with your flagstone. Our whole walkway is flagstone, and it's fine. I guess there are different types. We also stained our mower strip with concrete stain, it works great. Just make sure if you use that, you get acid stain, not the paint on type. We had terrible luck with that stuff, it peeled after a few years. (That's why we now have a flagstone walkway)
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 9:01AM
Maria Smith
I think the flagstone is flaking off in sheets (I have seen this before), you should speak to your supplier, see if they can help you with a solution or if you can return it for a more dense stone.
2 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 9:03AM
berekann
Thanks, i agree -that it will look good when the plants grow and i have some furniture.
Appreciate the advice, too.
1 Like   April 14, 2014 at 9:04AM
berekann
My landscape guy is coming over tomorrow, and we'll work on some ideas.
0 Likes   April 14, 2014 at 2:58PM
berekann
Well, have a few more plants, which are filling in nicely. We redid the path a little bit - more flagstones and narrowed it.
Looks better!
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 3:18PM
Maria Smith
Very nice! Those trees are wonderful!
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 6:31PM
berekann
Thanks; the Japanese maple was moved from my backyard; the olive tree and other plants are drought tolerant. It's a pleasant spot to sit and visit with friends or to read - except when it's too hot or too windy!
0 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 6:26AM
Shower Floor Grout & Efflorescence
Do you have white cruddy stuff in the grout lines of...
Grout Works of Central NJ
new home in tuxedo
how do I get started . what should I be looking for...
lillym320
rredpenn
HELP FOR NEW SOFA COLOR PLEASE!!!!
CHANGING COLOR SCHEME- NO MORE RED! room is painted...
house2514
Help my kitchen
Should I paint the cabinet or keep them
4tocome