Layout help - did I make a mistake with this couch?
danioma
April 13, 2014
I am having so much trouble figuring out the layout of this room. Everything in the room has just never felt right and I'm finally ready to change things ( couch, art, rug). I ended up buying this couch at a c&b outlet on the spot and now I'm wondering if I made a big mistake. Can I make this work do you think? I am posting a few arrangements. Would love any and all advice ( on any of it!!) thanks in advance ! Also I had been thinking if maybe a lighter rug...maybe scroll tile/ or chenille jute blend. This rug was probably my style in 2007!
danioma
These are a few others. I was taking with my phone so it was hard to get the full room.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 6:44AM
Megan Springle
Do you know the dimensions of the room? I have some ideas, but I'm not sure if they would work.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 6:48AM
D John Design
You have a beautiful and large room. I think your issue is that the room is long and narrow and you think you need to have furniture on the ends to use the space…wrong! Your furniture is too far away from each other and needs to be pulled up closer to the fireplace for a proper seating area. Couch on one side and the 2 chairs on the other so that you can talk to each other. Then you need a coffee table or a grouping of smaller tables - personally love glass or acrylic tables since they don't take up visual room. The chairs are just off on their own right now.

If the area where the chairs are feels naked to you, then add a console over there with a table lamp. Might be a good idea to mount the tv above the fireplace. You can then do a series of art on the long wall and even incorporate the mirror in a vertical direction opposite the fireplace. Try that and take a picture.
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 6:51AM
danioma
Megan - thank you!! I'll take them now and report back. Also, I know the scale of everythjng is off ( lamp art, rug etc). We thought about maybe mounting the tv on the wall too ( but not over fireplace). Thanks again!
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 6:52AM
danioma
D John - thank you! I will try that today!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 6:53AM
Megan Springle
The problem with the classic setup of chairs opposite the couch in front of the fireplace is it doesn't provide any good angle for viewing the tv. There are more options, but it'll take some time to figure out because of the tricky rectangular shape of the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 6:57AM
danioma
I am wondering if what I should have purchased was a long sectional with a chaise on long wall with with tv mounted on wall (when you look down room on left near sunroom). My husband is t crazy about the tv over the fireplace idea but I also thought of maybe a console across from fireplace with it mounted over there? I'll get the dimensions and get back soon. Thanks again for the feedback.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:03AM
Megan Springle
I was also thinking of a sectional with a chaise. Maybe the chaise could even extend across the front of the fireplace to provide warm fireside seating. I wouldn't recommend putting the tv over the fireplace in such a narrow room because it would create an awkward viewing angle. I agree with you that putting it on a console across from the fireplace might be a good idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:06AM
pivoines
I would put the large couch closer to the fireplace facing it , on the rug,leaving space to walk behind, put the armchairs one on each side of the fireplace facing each other , tv above the fireplace to unite and make use of the space,end tables both side of the couch, lamps on them and they could be used for any of the seating person to deposit their drinks etc... put the art work on the wall behind the couch. I would put 2 footstools or a long one in front of the fireplace, that way everyone can put their feet up. use the bookcases near the fireplace for books . you need to box in both radiators with solid tops and sides using them like a console adding lamps and accessories, display those pictures etc on it. You will need some large planters in the corners, etc... but take your time with the accessories , the room will dictate where it is needed. have fun .
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:20AM
danioma
Just took the dimensions- 139inches wide, 277 long and the off centered fireplace is 110 inches.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:28AM
danioma
Pivoines- thanks for taking the time to respond. Great idea on boxing in the heaters.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:30AM
abbyjean
Love the chairs and couch facing each other......and while I love the chairs grouped with the window, they truly do need to be pulled in closer to the couch and fireplace. I noticed the door there and then the people entering the room would be walking behind the chairs instead of in front of them, and I like that idea, too.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:33AM
abbyjean
I thought it was a door, or is it a window to the right of the fireplace? Are there drapes there?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:35AM
abbyjean
Notice the mirror is not reflecting anything worthy of being reflected. Do you have some art you could try on the mantle instead?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:36AM
denold
I agree with replacing the rug. The color has nothing to tie it with to the rest of the furniture. Rugsusa is a good place to get rugs or get some ideas.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:45AM
danioma
Abbyjean- it is a door to a sunroom to the right of the fireplace. The only thing with the couch on the opposite end is that I feel like it sort of blocks the flow of when you walk in the room. I was thinking maybe the couch in front of sunroom, chairs on other ends and console across of fp. Def need to search for some art!
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:49AM
abbyjean
Can someone help you move the couch and chairs like you just mentioned? Is there a piece of art on the wall now opposite the fireplace that you could prop on the mantle? Would be fun to see the room arrange this way and how it looks and you could see how it feels to you.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 7:57AM
abbyjean
Do you pull the curtains over the sunroom door or could you get rid of them???
    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 8:00AM
soto01
You could use two smaller scale love seats facing each other on either side of the fireplace. Then place the TV on the wall where the couch is now, so you can see the fireplace and the TV equally. The TV over the fireplace may look better, but it is too high for comfortable viewing (especially for long periods of viewing). Then you could use one end of the room for a second seating area with two chairs and small table between or even a reading nook with chaise and lamp. On the last end of the room, create a small office space with desk and chair. Good luck -- great space!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 8:13AM
Rina
Hi. Coming to this a bit late because of the below; I've been fooling around for a while. I like the couch facing the fireplace. To me it needs a rug that has a similar kind of boldness; a highly textured jute would be good. For the rest, just providing art and curtains for the feel of it. The four-foot? Dunno. He just wandered in and said he liked the room and could he stay?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 10:53AM
Rina
Oh, I got rid of the waves on the built-in shelves. Just thought they had to go.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 10:54AM
Did I just make a huge mistake?!?
As posted previously on here. I purchased a nest chair...
Resnam
Oops! I deleted by mistake. My Living Room needs help
Our living looks like old people live here...tee hee...because...
sstrunk
Did I make a HUGE mistake???
I know I have already posted on this, but I really...
Linda Noon
Help me avoid a $3,000 mistake!
Choosing paint color for a Very open Arizona floor...
kathy3207
Help! First time home buyer makes disastrous mistakes!
I am a first time homebuyer. My builder did a remodel...
Kala Kinyon
Need help with tile question
Our designer wants to use a 45 degree grout application...
janny3
Rustic Chic Open Floor Plan
I just bought a house that has an open floor plan (that...
alexislascala
Does this grout install on this tile backsplash look bad?
Help! This is the second time we had tiles installed...
Tracey O'Brien
Front Landscaping
Looking to update and add vitality to front of our...
andrew1781
Accent table challenge.
My wife and I are in search of a somewhat contemporary...
bmscholtz